General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Cobalt SS/SC or 07 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cobalt SS/SC or 07 Mustang GT

Ok, my problem is I'm tring to deside on a car for myself. Get a new Cobalt SS/SC or a 07 Mustang GT. If I get the Cobalt it would be with a stage 2 off the bat, but it would only be til the new Camaro comes out, then I'd trade. My wife is getting a 06 SS 2.4, so I can toy with that if i feel like it, but. . . I don't know. Help!
Old 05-26-2006, 03:54 PM

Simple! Go with the Cobalt now. The Fords just don't have the quality Chevrolets do.

I also can't wait till the new Camaro comes out! An SS fully loaded!! Woot!
Old 05-26-2006, 04:01 PM

ERRRR..... FERRARI OR GO CART ?

Seriously I love this car but if you can easily afford a mustang GT go for it and don't look back !
Old 05-26-2006, 04:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1stbluSS

Seriously I love this car but if you can easily afford a mustang GT go for it and don't look back !

GO CART?????????? FERRARI???????????
Old 05-26-2006, 04:07 PM

Ya, but the SS with all the stuff I want is still $7K cheeper the the stang, thats a lot of money for mods. I've got plans for the GT if I get it, it will definatly be a keeper, Ported heads, 5.0 302 bore x stroke kit, pro-charger. But the Camaro. . .
Old 05-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CobaltSonOfS.A.M.
Ya, but the SS with all the stuff I want is still $7K cheeper the the stang, thats a lot of money for mods. I've got plans for the GT if I get it, it will definatly be a keeper, Ported heads, 5.0 302 bore x stroke kit, pro-charger. But the Camaro. . .
i hate ford cars and will never buy one so i would go with the cobalt because the new camaro is going to be so so so much better than the mustang.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:17 PM

My Dad told me somthing once, "If you want to know what cars are going to be worth allot of money in 30-40 years, look at the cars now, the ones that are hot items, those ones will be it." Like them or not, the new Mustang is a hot item.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:31 PM

by the SS/SC then sell your wifes SS 2.4 and give her your SS/SC when you buy the Camaro SS.

best of both worlds if you ask me
Old 05-26-2006, 04:34 PM

these threads are so stupid, this is like the 100th one, hmm corvette or gtp
Old 05-26-2006, 05:13 PM

Your big mistake (and everyone elses) with the new camaro coming soon, is that it's going to be infested with problems for the first model year or two. New model years always are.

That said, the Mustang IMO is more reliable than the cobalt. It still has problems, but the cobalt got really bad ratings on reliability from consumer reports recently. And just from scanning the various forums in the sport compact segment, I'd say those reviews are pretty accurate compared to other cars in the same genre. That said the cobalt is an incredible bang for your buck, and the styling of the coupe has a lot of potential. (as it is right now.)

My guess is you'll want to get the Mustang GT, and just keep it for a year or two after the new camaro comes out so they can get the bugs worked out of it. That'd be the smart way to go.

Though I think it's kind of interesting that when people compare the cobalt to other cars they're "considering" the cars that are always 7-10K more on the price tag, I think that says a lot about the cobalt's potential if GM can just get the freaking bugs worked out of it a lot quicker than they are currently. If GM wants to compete at all, then the '07 year for the cobalt needs to be really stellar as far as reliability enhancements go. Otherwise they're going to lose the race again.

The only thing GM has going for it right at the moment is the Civic looks like poo with the stock front grill, the dash gauges are goofy as hell, and it costs a couple grand more for less HP and Torque on all of the models compared to the Cobalt. They just need to inrease the reliability drastically and they might actually get some civic converts.

The muscle car era is pricing itself out of the market, so if you want to get in on it, now is the time. The sport compacts are the wave of the future as far as performance goes. Better fuel mileage, lower price tag=more performance mods for the masses=bigger market potential.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:34 PM

i say the balt im not a fan of the newer stangs and the camaro is gonnabe a bad ass car
Old 05-26-2006, 05:37 PM

Well, a stage 2 SS/SC will be close in terms of performance to the new GT's. Especially if youre putting in more mods than just stage 2. I was going to buy a GT, and heres the main reasons I didnt:

1. They are a dime a dozen ( too popular! ). I mean, compare how many SS/SC's there are on the road to Mustangs. There are many more mustangs out there, and its gotten kind of silly. Its also gotten to the point where the V6 and GT versions are chick cars ( no offense to women ). Everytime I pull up to one to race, its either a chick, or an old person, and neither one ever wanted to race.

2. The gas mileage sucks a big one. 17 mpg normal city driving?! Wtf is that? So if I romp on it Ill get like 15? Yuk man, screw that. Right now with the SS/SC, as long as the Supercharger isnt running ( I dont romp on it ) I can get 25-30 mpg city. Yes this is "grandma-ing" it ( bringing the engine to 2k SLOWLY and shifting ), but at least I can get awsome gas mileage if I choose to take it easy on the gas. Not only that, but with the supercharger, I can get equal if not better performace than a GT ( Im running a CAI, Stage 2, and Torque dampener ).

3. Car insurance is gonna be way cheaper on the Cobalt. This is self explainatory.

4. The cobalt is more of a platform car in the aspect that you can customize it to your own liking. It starts off cheap and sweet, but can be built upon. Its a modder car, and you can call it your own.

5. Its cheaper up front, and has much better bang for your buck HP. Infact, there are very few cars out there that have an equal HP to acceleration ratio. I mean, look at the STI, and EVO VIII's. They have 300 horses, and only have a mid 13 sec 1/4mi. Now look at the Cobalt SS/SC. At 260 horses, our cars can achieve mid 13's. At 300 horse power, our cars would smoke a stock EVO VIII, and the STI, easy!
Old 05-26-2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1stbluSS

dude my stage 2 balt eats the new gt's from a roll, and am yet to face one from a dig...
Old 05-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Banned

7K drawing a very conservative 1% simple interest, is $70 a year. Or you can look at it as 7K more and you will own a car that is an icon (granted as many that are out there now it won't be as special a vehicle). I personally think the retro look everyone's bringing to market won't last. Chrysler did good by bringing out the PT Cruiser and the Prowler, but those niche markets aren't going to last long.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:09 PM

I thought about geting my wife the SS/SC, tried talking her in to it several times, but she wants an automatic. I don't want anything with an automatic, if a stick is an option. So buying me the Mustang and her the SS 2.4, then trading the SS 2.4 for the Camaro, and give her the 'stang, isn't looking good either.
I'm looking for something to play with. . . alot. Something I can take to a show and get alot of looks, and possibly do some SCCA stuff when I'm feeling froggy. From a performance stand point, the GT is a better set up, gas mileage isn't a big concern. Power takes fuel, point blank. Plus I can see the 'stang being worth more 30-40 years from now. Also the 'stang is capable of making more street-able hp than the Cobalt. I could get
400+hp with the 'stang with a full intake and exhaust w/a port and polish job, that might pull what, low 12's, high 11's with a good suspension, and tires? Sure I can do that with the Cobalt, but how much would I have to spend/change to make it run reliable on the street? Just look at the Shelby GT500, 475+hp from the factory.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Dad told me somthing once, "If you want to know what cars are going to be worth allot of money in 30-40 years, look at the cars now, the ones that are hot items, those ones will be it." Like them or not, the new Mustang is a hot item.
well look at civics :P i think i just proved your dad wrong. Same with jettas *shiver*
Old 05-27-2006, 04:25 PM

but I never wanted a civic or a jetta. But I do want a Viper SRT10, a LS7 Corvette Z06, and a Ford GT. Bet those are going to be worth alot, 30-40 yrs.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:30 PM

tell you what, go register on a popular mustang forum with an 05+ section and ask them the same question. Then compare the collective opinions of both communities. Dont let peoples internet opinions make the decision for you, just listen to some of the intelligent* things people have to say.

Good luck. I vote Mustang.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:47 PM

well the way you sound u better go with the mustang GT. Your looking to make lots of power and money doesn't seem to be a big concern with you so it seems logical. I myself think the new stangs look like poo and i see them everywhere, I wouldn't want one, but I am just getting my career started so I don't have the money to buy a TOY to mod up , i need something that is good in both areas. Once again were into apples and oranges and its so subjective with all the ralative variables.

Drop a cobalt body over a GT Motor and chasis and then u'd have a winner. I parked my Cobalt beside a New GT the other day and astetically it blew it out of the water...

performance wise its a diff story tho, the stang was meant to handle a lot more power and torque, and i agree with what the others say about waiting 1 or 2 years after the camaro comes out.. That'll likely be my next car, but until then I'm so happy with my Cobalt.

good luck with the decision.

Oh ya and if you fo to the Stang forums i think its pretty obvious what they're going to say.. haha
Old 05-27-2006, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
honestly i'd go cobalt.. and ill tell you why...

For the LONGEST time i wanted a ****** mustang so bad. i loved the way they looked. but i needed something fuel efficient so i had no choice but to get the cobalt. and from there, i have never looked back. i love the cobalt and i am so glad i did not get the mustang. here are the reasons.

1. Everyone and their mom owns a mustang (with racing stripes) - and seriously no one owns cobalts. I've seen about 3 cobalt ss while driving around. you get way more looks and i get a shitload of compliments. its a babe magnent.

2. Better Gas Mileage - i get about 30 in the city and 34 on the highway

3. Cheaper Insurance - not payin for the price of a 6 or 8 cyl sports car.

4. Cobalt has Great Engines- wether you decide to go the 2.0 S/C or the 2.4 VVT both are an awesome choice.

5. interior - better than the mustangs imo and very spacious.

those are just a few reasons and im sure i could at least double the list. but i was a mustang lover myself, but went with cobalt and i dont regret it one bit.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by knatsabooh
Oh ya and if you fo to the Stang forums i think its pretty obvious what they're going to say.. haha
thats my point though, if he's asking on a Cobalt forum he's going to get mostly biased answers. He'll get the same on a Mustang forum, but at least then he'll have the thoughts of people with first hand experience with both cars, not just someone who test drove one or has a friend who's dad has one. I test drove an 06 GT and was impressed with it overall, but that doesnt qualify me to give someone sound advice on whether he should buy it or not.

Better yet, go over to the SRT forums and ask them, they seem to hate both Mustangs and SS/SC's. It will be like the last presidential election, the lesser of two weasles.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:00 PM

I'd say Cobalt personally. Don't like the Mustang, but RWD V8 is better anyday of the week than FWD 4-banger!

Wait until 2008 if you can, and get the SS if it gets the 2.0L Turbo with 260 HP!
Old 05-27-2006, 10:19 PM

i said this before and ill say it again.... asking a opinion to buy a ford car on a chevy message board.... is like asking to people on a mercedes forum if they should buy a BMW... useless and stupid.... now go on the mustang forums and ask them this same question.. ill bet you all my starwars figures they say mustang... except boba fett... now matter how sure i am i never bet the fett man..
Old 05-27-2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sempher55
except boba fett... now matter how sure i am i never bet the fett man..
I needed a laugh, thanks.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:36 PM

I thought about geting my wife the SS/SC, tried talking her in to it several times, but she wants an automatic. I don't want anything with an automatic, if a stick is an option. So buying me the Mustang and her the SS 2.4, then trading the SS 2.4 for the Camaro, and give her the 'stang, isn't looking good either.
I'm looking for something to play with. . . alot. Something I can take to a show and get alot of looks, and possibly do some SCCA stuff when I'm feeling froggy. From a performance stand point, the GT is a better set up, gas mileage isn't a big concern. Power takes fuel, point blank. Plus I can see the 'stang being worth more 30-40 years from now. Also the 'stang is capable of making more street-able hp than the Cobalt. I could get
400+hp with the 'stang with a full intake and exhaust w/a port and polish job, that might pull what, low 12's, high 11's with a good suspension, and tires? Sure I can do that with the Cobalt, but how much would I have to spend/change to make it run reliable on the street? Just look at the Shelby GT500, 475+hp from the factory.
She needs to feel what it is really like................take her for a ride and show her how to drive stick!!!!!!!!!!!! If she still insists on automatic then so be it but at least you tried!!!!

Quick Reply: Cobalt SS/SC or 07 Mustang GT