JBP VVT LE5 Camshafts

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 07:06 PM
JBP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JBP VVT LE5 Camshafts

Hey LE5 guys,

Mike is in the middle of installing the camshafts! Please note that this is the official thread for all questions... we'll be posting results and first impression shortly.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2006, 07:30 PM

Any more details on what kind of packages as far as cams, retainers, springs? Also recommendations as far as rev limiter, power gained with these packages?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:35 PM
JBP
Banned

We're going to come out with a package for both the LE5 and LSJ guys. The best things are yet to come.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:30 PM

yayy
Old 10-24-2006, 10:18 AM
GTP

Originally Posted by JBP
Hey LE5 guys,

Mike is in the middle of installing the camshafts! Please note that this is the official thread for all questions... we'll be posting results and first impression shortly.

Thanks!

What's the rev limit on the stage one cams without your valve springs?

What would be the new rev limit with a set of your valve springs?

Are the stock rockers strong enough for revs in excess of 7500rpms?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2006, 11:27 AM

Did yall get the cams installed?
Old 10-24-2006, 12:28 PM

Any news?
Old 10-24-2006, 03:27 PM
JBP
Banned

Originally Posted by GTP
What's the rev limit on the stage one cams without your valve springs?

What would be the new rev limit with a set of your valve springs?

Are the stock rockers strong enough for revs in excess of 7500rpms?

Thanks
The rev limiter remains the same (stock) on our Stage 1 Triflows with stock valve springs.
Depending on the spring chosen, Bates, JBP or Ferrea. The Redline ranges from 7200-9000RPM.

The stock rockers are strong, seeing as no reasonably priced alternative is available (yet), we'll have to do with them.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by JBP
The rev limiter remains the same (stock) on our Stage 1 Triflows with stock valve springs.
Depending on the spring chosen, Bates, JBP or Ferrea. The Redline ranges from 7200-9000RPM.

The stock rockers are strong, seeing as no reasonably priced alternative is available (yet), we'll have to do with them.
Unfortunately, g5mike found 2 of his rockers cracked when installing your cams.

Do you think these might work?

http://www.jeselonline.com/index.php?categoryid=29&
Old 10-24-2006, 04:15 PM

I got two new rockers,Ill have them in the morning,and Ill put the cams on tommorro afternoon,sorry for the inconviece to everyone
Old 10-24-2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by g5mike
I got two new rockers,Ill have them in the morning,and Ill put the cams on tommorro afternoon,sorry for the inconviece to everyone
Hey man, feces occurs. Not your fault bro.

It makes me want to pull my valve cover and check my rockers.

I think you've got us all paranoid now!

What was that noise?!?!
Old 10-24-2006, 08:36 PM

ahah G5Mike, you shouldn't worry about our inconvenience, you should worry about your ability, or lack therof to drive you car sooner! haha GET'ER DONE! and lets see some results!

P.S. take your time, and makes sure the job gets done right! good luck
Old 10-24-2006, 08:48 PM

I can't wait to hear how this works out.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:52 PM

atta boy mike geter done
Old 10-24-2006, 09:43 PM
GTP

Originally Posted by g5mike

Mike you have Stage2 cams in your sig. Are you testing stage 1 or 2s?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by GTP
Mike you have Stage2 cams in your sig. Are you testing stage 1 or 2s?
2.5 stage 2 triflow vvti cams
Old 10-24-2006, 10:00 PM

I have a question for JBP, do your testers normally do the tunes for your camshafts?

I see that G5Mike is going to be gathering his own method of tuning for your camshafts. Wouldn't your cams see better gains if the manufacturers themselves were to do the tuning for the cams?

Sounds a little odd that the tester would have to gather their own tune. Not meant to be harsh in anyway, just wondering.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:06 PM

man, i didnt even know 4 cylinders HAD rockers..i thought the cam hit the top of the springs...hmpf.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:08 PM

..niice, id luv to see the results
Old 10-24-2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by campo165
man, i didnt even know 4 cylinders HAD rockers..i thought the cam hit the top of the springs...hmpf.
Depends on the design. Some cams ride directly on buckets and shims placed over the top of the valve and spring. These are pure mechanical, and require valve adjustments at periodic intervals (although we found in Alfa Romeos that if you get them right, they tend to stay in for about 50K miles).

Other engines run the overhead cam against a rocker. One end of the rocker pivots on a hydraulic pivot point, the other on the end pushes down on the valve. That hydraulic pivot is like a hydraulic lifter, preventing the need for adjustments.

BTW, these designs can be found on any engine configuration. Older 4-cylinders didn't have overhead cams (well, except for exotic cars) so this isn't just a 4-cylinder thing.

-J-
Old 10-25-2006, 12:31 AM

So you give us a range of revs (7900-9000) but which company will do what? Im curious because I want to know if the 2.4L can do an 8K limit with new springs and retainers. Will the valves need to be replaced? Will the engine hold up to it? I have asked these quesitons again and again and yet no one will give me a good decisive answer. Yes I can change the springs and retainers and be good to 8K or NO I will have to do more work than that and an explanation of what would be wonderful answers.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:51 AM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JBP
Hey LE5 guys,

Thanks!
What is the lift of these cams (@lobe)
thx
WopOnTour
Old 10-25-2006, 06:25 AM
JBP
Banned

Originally Posted by WopOnTour
What is the lift of these cams (@lobe)
thx
WopOnTour
I was wondering when this question would be asked. We aren't advertising specifications of the camshafts (at this point), just because of the infancy of these camshafts. Some people are persistent with requesting information because they are adamant about lobe center lines and proper dial-in during installation. At any rate, anyone can "read" the cam to obtain this information if they are so inclined.

At any rate, we'll post full lift and dur specifications @ 0.050" after some time of the official release on the website product page.

So you give us a range of revs (7900-9000) but which company will do what? Im curious because I want to know if the 2.4L can do an 8K limit with new springs and retainers. Will the valves need to be replaced? Will the engine hold up to it? I have asked these quesitons again and again and yet no one will give me a good decisive answer. Yes I can change the springs and retainers and be good to 8K or NO I will have to do more work than that and an explanation of what would be wonderful answers.
Right now its safe to say that with Bates/Ferrea you can attain 9000RPM. JBP springs are only good to 7500RPM. I've been speaking with Bates about a spring issue with one line of their springs that have since been cleared. I am to be reassured that the new line of springs shall not have any problems. Ferrea is more expensive, but should be equal to or exceeding Bates in durability for a 9000RPM redline. There's ECOTECs hitting past this barrier. However, solid lifters (which we currently sell), connecting rods (they are limted to 7500rpm from testing) and soon, a new follower is manditory @ these levels. LE5 Valves are not (Na) impregnated as with the LSJ, so either a valve swap OR our stainless valves are recommend, but not necessary unless boost or nitrous is used. I hope this sheds light onto the questions you have asked.

Also, we are to sell the special tools on the website in which to do camshaft and spring installs for our customers who purchase cams and springs from us. We will also offer a tool RENTAL service for end-customers who just wish to borrow a tool (and not permanently keep one) Along with detailed installation instructions... This is something that most manufacturers don't offer....

I have a question for JBP, do your testers normally do the tunes for your camshafts?
Tuning is something that we don't offer for testing nor compensate. Lets not forget that mike stepped up to the plate, for a mere $80CDN, to pay for our indexing and project initiation. Colt Cams and JBP designed the camshafts to work on the stock ECU and we're crossing our fingers that the ECU doesn't throw codes at our profile. But, I am very reluctant to dismiss it, as the ECOTEC is probably the most stringent monitored engine we've found and any small variation triggers a MIL. Even way back in the cavalier days... Thank god for HPtuners, as we now have a way of "curing" a MIL...
Old 10-25-2006, 10:17 AM

Oooh, now I am interested. I was considering Ferrea because of the good things I have heard. I am only shooting for 8K and in the process am changing out springs and retainers for the ferrea ones. Next will be the cam shafts and valves for durability and stability. If I wait a while for the cams and valves, I will be fine on stock internals correct? My main worries are the rockers, and the engines capability to handle those rpms stock (8K, no higher). I do have an intake if that makes any difference in considerations. How difficult is the install of the springs?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:24 PM
GTP

Originally Posted by JBP
Thank god for HPtuners, as we now have a way of "curing" a MIL...
JBP.....I still vote that if you have HP Tuners at the shop, you give the guy a road tune after he does an inital dyno to show the capabilities of the cams.

I see this as a WIN-WIN for your company, with no monetary investment on your part (if you already have HP Tuners) just the actual tuning time.

By doing the baseline then a good tune you show even more horsepower and driveability, which makes Mike happy, everyone spends lots of money buying cams, there's no more unemployment, the polar caps stop melting, the ozone is repaired, everyone adopts all homeless kittens and puppies...See don't you feel better already!

Quick Reply: JBP VVT LE5 Camshafts