08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

2008 Cobalt SS Turbo First Drive and Review by CobaltSS.net

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008 | 04:46 PM

i wonder if the GMPP exhausts will bolt right up to the SS/TC system... and how much of a gain you'd get for the turbo engine as opposed to the supercharged setup?

and... i think the most important question is... will it come in white?
Old 03-08-2008 | 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by shabodah
To all you people bitching about traffic- Get away from the damn coasts. Other than Chicago and Minneapolis, the REST OF THE COUNTRY doesn't really have traffic issues. Shoot, there are only like 2 million drivers in the whole state of Wisconsin, lol.
no.. no .. , hold on, ......., wait

Ok, now that thats out of my system, the three major cities in Ohio have bad traffic. I define bad traffic as it takes double the time to get from point A to point B during rush hour than another time of day. This definatly happens in Columbus and Cleveland, I have seen it myself. Don't go claiming that there are no traffic issues except for the coasts, Chicago, and Minneapolis.

There have been almost no new highways built in the last 40 years. I think the number of people and cars has risen in the last 40 years. No new roads + more traffic = traffic congestion.

And if you don't have to deal with traffic, most have to obey stop signs and stop lights, so that they don't cause an accident. Also, most people can't have their jobs moved to Wisconsin.

Originally Posted by mufnman
i wonder if the GMPP exhausts will bolt right up to the SS/TC system... and how much of a gain you'd get for the turbo engine as opposed to the supercharged setup?

and... i think the most important question is... will it come in white?
It would be nice, I could jsut move mine from one car to the other, but because its a turbo, wishful thinking. Better wait for official word on it.

Last edited by YSUsteven; 03-08-2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2008 | 05:04 PM

I have spoken to corsa about an exhaust system for the HHR SS, and they said that once the Cobalt SS comes out, they will have a system for both. Chevy claims that any system that fits the HHR will fit the Cobalt, and they claim they have a system out for the HHR SS now (thats what I hear, have not comfirmed it yet) But I would say that you need to wait till the system is offically announced before purchasing one, it would just be safer.

As far as the color white goes, Chevy.com says that it will be available in 7 exterior colors. I would assume that it would be:

1. Victory Red
2. Sport Red
3. Yellow
4. Laser Blue
5. Black
6. Silver
7. Sunburst Orange

Those would be my guesses for the colors, so alas, no white
Old 03-08-2008 | 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Red07SSNA

I LMAO listening to all the manual equipped car owners at work constantly whining about driving their manual trannies to work. .
They obviously really dont like it then . I drive alot of city to , rush hour / stop and go ect . . Driving a manual is really an afterthought , doesnt bother me one bit and I wouldnt have it any other way .
Old 03-08-2008 | 05:13 PM
Site Founder

Heads up, I will delete all arguments on Auto vs manual. Please start a new thread if you wish to debate autos vs manuals and keep this tread on topic!
Old 03-08-2008 | 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Xtremekirk
I have spoken to corsa about an exhaust system for the HHR SS, and they said that once the Cobalt SS comes out, they will have a system for both. Chevy claims that any system that fits the HHR will fit the Cobalt, and they claim they have a system out for the HHR SS now (thats what I hear, have not comfirmed it yet) But I would say that you need to wait till the system is offically announced before purchasing one, it would just be safer.

As far as the color white goes, Chevy.com says that it will be available in 7 exterior colors. I would assume that it would be:

1. Victory Red
2. Sport Red
3. Yellow
4. Imperial Blue
5. Black
6. Silver
7. Blue flash Metallic

Those would be my guesses for the colors, so alas, no white
I edited your colors to the correct ones No lazer and no Sunburst .

Hopefully now the car is turbocharged Milltek will step up and make a turbo back exhaust . The exhaust for our sister car the Astra sounds incredible .

Astra 2.0 turbo with Milltek exhaust
Old 03-08-2008 | 05:19 PM

i'm interested in how the new blue flash metallic will look on the ss
Old 03-08-2008 | 05:32 PM

I wish they had sunburst, I loved that color. But the interior is looking kick ass
Old 03-08-2008 | 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC

Hopefully now the car is turbocharged Milltek will step up and make a turbo back exhaust . The exhaust for our sister car the Astra sounds incredible .

We have seen pictures of the slate metallic and none of the blue flash. When GM originally launched the Cobalt SS at SEMA there was no mention of either slate grey of blue flash. I'm still holding out hope for white, but I'm pretty sure its a pipe dream

I would personally change the list to include slate grey but not the blue flash...
Old 03-08-2008 | 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by JonyyB
Heads up, I will delete all arguments on Auto vs manual. Please start a new thread if you wish to debate autos vs manuals and keep this tread on topic!
Sorry about that....My intention wasn't to start the auto/manual debate. I'm glad Chevy is coming out with the TC; and the pictures of the Cobalt SS/TC tests you posted make my mouth water -- those wheels, seats, and the diamond grille are sharp -- I'd like to own one!

You said Chevy people will be monitoring the replys so I would like Chevy to at least consider the idea of an auto.
Old 03-08-2008 | 07:32 PM

I also will be keeping my SC.
Old 03-08-2008 | 07:57 PM

If it does come out in Sunburst Orange, I may go that route.
Old 03-08-2008 | 09:10 PM

How much boost does the turbo give the 08 cobalt?
Old 03-08-2008 | 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by SS/SC Crazer
How much boost does the turbo give the 08 cobalt?
It depends on your altitude (or how many feet you are above sea level).
And it only makes like 14 lbs. before 1500 miles, and then averaging around...... 17-18 after that "break-in period."
Old 03-08-2008 | 09:56 PM

Nothing . U still push the clutch in , there doesnt need to be anything special in the trans to accomodate it .....the no lift shift coulda been done on the p12 LSJ PCM if it were capable . Its purely an electronic event in the pcm that acts like a 2 step . The electronic accelerator pedal tells the pcm the car is at WOT and a sensor on the clutch pedal will tell it when to hold the RPM when the pedal is pushed in .

I know i was being facetious.

my point is, nothing is different with no-lift-shift.

as i said earlier, its nothing more than computer aided WOT shifting, no different than doing it yourself with your own feet.
Old 03-08-2008 | 10:26 PM

cool, thanks for the update on the colors, and yes the exhaust does sounds very cool.

P.S sorry for adding to the debat regarding manual vs. automatic

Originally Posted by ferrarimanf355
If it does come out in Sunburst Orange, I may go that route.
I know, that is an awesome color.........then again, im somewhat partial

Last edited by Xtremekirk; 03-08-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2008 | 10:45 PM

i know this may be a non issue. but is there any complaints or history of problem that the hhr turbo motor has that would be good to watch out for in the cobalt motor? yes i am out of date with the hhr. not a fan of it so i never worried about issues relating to it until now.
Old 03-09-2008 | 12:06 AM
Site Founder

added closeup pics of the grills
Old 03-09-2008 | 03:34 AM

I hope they fixed all the squeaks and clanking. I love how the car sounds like it's going to rattle itself apart when I drive over uneven pavement.
Old 03-09-2008 | 08:23 AM

the no lift shif does have programming to soft limit the rev limiter, so yes there is a difference, otherwise the car would BANG off the Rev limiter
Old 03-09-2008 | 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by plaxton
i know this may be a non issue. but is there any complaints or history of problem that the hhr turbo motor has that would be good to watch out for in the cobalt motor? yes i am out of date with the hhr. not a fan of it so i never worried about issues relating to it until now.
Nothing has been reported so far, the GXP Solstice and the Sky Redline have the same motor aswell, and none of them have reported any problems.
Old 03-09-2008 | 11:35 AM

I will be keeping my SC too! Unless there is a last minute decision to make the TC an RWD. I'm not trying to jump off topic but a guy in the service department at CMP Chevrolet here in Calgary tells me GM is working on a new platform nicknamed the "Alpha platform" it may just be speculation but "he" says there is a probability it will replace the Ecotec in future applications, and that it is designed in mind of RWD.
Old 03-09-2008 | 11:37 AM

Alpha is going to more expensive, I believe its going to Cadillac... think BMW 3 series
Old 03-09-2008 | 03:51 PM

This Cobalt SS might be as far as the power pendulum swings. GM is going to have to start focusing more on fuel economy instead of horsepower due to the new CAFE laws. Eventually horsepower will have to be reduced just like it did in the 1980s.
Old 03-09-2008 | 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by billwit
This Cobalt SS might be as far as the power pendulum swings. GM is going to have to start focusing more on fuel economy instead of horsepower due to the new CAFE laws. Eventually horsepower will have to be reduced just like it did in the 1980s.
I disagree. With "D/I F/I" engines, GM and other manufacturers are finding the best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: 2008 Cobalt SS Turbo First Drive and Review by CobaltSS.net