08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Bnr k04-gt28

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
Something helped the idle and smoothing out of the engine, all I did was what I said previously. I can only attribute it to the change in the intake I made, since I have no MAF in the intake tube, all other connections and tune are the same.

The 3" bend in the CAI intake before it goes to the turbo is a HUGE upgrade for a HHR SS all by itself. Not to mention making the 3" circumference the same from the fender well hole to the pipe itself.
I had the same effect when I switched from the CIA CAI to the K&N SRI. Also the K&N isolates the intake from the rest of the bay.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by drewbroo
I had the same effect when I switched from the CIA CAI to the K&N SRI. Also the K&N isolates the intake from the rest of the bay.
Weird if you ask me

I went from the stock HHR SS BOX CAI set up to a true 3" CAI (behind headlight) to a true 3" fender well CAI and my result were opposite.

The true 3" CAI had better idle quality, a smoother engine and more responsive.

I wonder if its because I basically cut it into a SRI then ran 3" tubing for the CAI portion?

A cold air SRI maybe, who knows, it feels great and runs great so I'm keeping it.

Let us know how that SRI works out for you I'm sure there are a multitude of people awaiting results (if BYT doesn;t beat you to it)
Old 05-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
Weird if you ask me

I went from the stock HHR SS BOX CAI set up to a true 3" CAI (behind headlight) to a true 3" fender well CAI and my result were opposite.

The true 3" CAI had better idle quality, a smoother engine and more responsive.

I wonder if its because I basically cut it into a SRI then ran 3" tubing for the CAI portion?

A cold air SRI maybe, who knows, it feels great and runs great so I'm keeping it.

Let us know how that SRI works out for you I'm sure there are a multitude of people awaiting results (if BYT doesn;t beat you to it)
The BYT Sri is going on the 4 Door, I am trying to squeeze as much power out of it while keeping it as stock looking as possible. The K&N SRI had the same effect on my car as it did on your car. I had to use the stock ab elbow for a little bit because the CIA elbow kept collapsing. Thin Silicone FTL. The ZZP AB mod is on the 4 door right now.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:01 PM

The BYT Sri is going on the 4 Door, I am trying to squeeze as much power out of it while keeping it as stock looking as possible. The K&N SRI had the same effect on my car as it did on your car. I had to use the stock ab elbow for a little bit because the CIA elbow kept collapsing. Thin Silicone FTL. The ZZP AB mod is on the 4 door right now.
Gotcha, my current intake uses a true 3" mandrel bend in the elbow and then I use a straight coupler to the turbo inlet.

That bend alone is a huge upgrade over the stock piece on a HHR SS as our stock piece has a pancake in that area.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by donkeyballs
So i can put your heads, cam, and tune on my stock car and it will net 100whp?
Yes, 100hp. I did not say whp.

Last edited by Matt M; 05-11-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by elecblue06
blink blink.. so would you say your head/ cams should be be able to provide a 25 whp gain or not? this is all i'm asking.. i'm not saying anything about advertised gains of the turbo.. just your head.. yes or no.. just answer it bluntly you guys have never answered what your head/cams will do on a car will full bolt ons have you ? thats all i'm saying .. if it makes X whp on a stock turbo car.. with a bigger turbo.. it should make at least X whp thats it .. you're not really making a point here.. that i'm seeing at least.. I know you guys know your **** but all the 75 whp guestimation was for the fact it's put down 50-60 more down then the stock k04 currently.. and they think theres room left for more..
I read what you are asking me, but it makes no sense. I made over 360 on the stock head, stock cams, stock K04. Perhaps you thought I was running different parts.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Matt M
I read what you are asking me, but it makes no sense. I made over 360 on the stock head, stock cams, stock K04. Perhaps you thought I was running different parts.
I need to see more data
Old 05-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Former Vendor

Matt.... and all the haters look. 393WHP - 75WHP = 318WHP

PBASS's car: Stock KO4 Injen CAI, Injen hotside, Dejon coldside, Treadstone TR8 IC, Catless DP, GMS1, tune 311.4WHP on 93OCT

393WHP-311WHP=82WHP gain over a car with basically the same supporting mods. I don't know what else you need other than me taking the turbo off the car and re-dynoing it with the stock turbo on the same dyno.
So you found a different car running 93 octane and a K04 to compare to your E47 2871 dyno? Seriously?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Former Vendor

well its not a ZZP Car so its always going to be sub par. I wonder why we have not seen ANYONE put down the numbers that ZZP claims for their stock K04 cars. (on a mustang dyno) Magic seems to just happen in their shop. Also NO ONE (other than ZZP of course) has been able to run 370+WHP of E70/E85. (mustang dyno) (without spray) Also its weird how your fuel systems don't max out where everyone elses do.
Read this carefully! I dyno'd 356 on our dyno, then went straight to the track and trapped 119!

On the S252, I dyno'd 472, then drove straight to a Bullseye open house/dyno day and put down 509!

Do you still insist that our dyno gives out falsely high numbers?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by EXCESSboost
Its called a wet kit lol
Yeah, a wet kit without the nitrous. I have openly discussed having 4 additional injectors on my intake since surpassing 360.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Former Vendor

I need to see more data
It has all been posted. Dyno charts, timeslips, etc...
Old 05-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read this carefully! I dyno'd 356 on our dyno, then went straight to the track and trapped 119!

On the S252, I dyno'd 472, then drove straight to a Bullseye open house/dyno day and put down 509!

Do you still insist that our dyno gives out falsely high numbers?
I call BS anymore proof?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:10 AM
Premium Member

Yeah all I see is bold words, and you act like the boost can't be turned up from dyno to dyno.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Premium Member

So you found a different car running 93 octane and a K04 to compare to your E47 2871 dyno? Seriously?
Yeah I am serious. Go look up what the OCT equivalency of full E85 is. 94-96OCT. So 6 gallons of 96oct+6gallons of 91 Oct = 93.5oct. I am only running 18 degrees of timing up top. So you can't say that I am running ridiculous timing from the knock protection of E85. I think its a pretty fair comparo considering the fueling issues I am having with E47. If I had 93 Oct here I am pretty sure I would be close to the same number. At-least I am being honest with what I am working with.

also take a read here "E85 has an octane rating higher than that of regular gasoline's typical rating of 87, or premium gasoline's 91-93. This allows it to be used in higher-compression engines, which tend to produce more power per unit of displacement than their gasoline counterparts. The Renewable Fuels Foundation states in its Changes in Gasoline IV manual, "There is no requirement to post octane on an E85 dispenser. If a retailer chooses to post octane, they should be aware that the often cited 105 octane is incorrect. This number was derived by using ethanol’s blending octane value in gasoline. This is not the proper way to calculate the octane of E85. Ethanol’s true octane value should be used to calculate E85’s octane value. This results in an octane range of 94-96 (R+M)/2. These calculations have been confirmed by actual-octane engine tests"
Old 05-12-2011, 04:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This bickering or who makes what, and how I use this blend or I trap this all goes where??? To making more sales?? To being top dog?? WHO CARES!!!!!! Tuners just do your thing and don't worry as to who doubts what you're doing.

REALLY ZZP, REALLY BYT, REALLY TERM2?? I take no sides, lets just let the thread continue about the BNR-2871r. There are other threads like ZZP's EFR turbo dicussion where "ZPP" you have reign. Whatever started or who compared what, GET BACK ON TRACK with furthering development in a "PROFESSIONAL" way.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:12 AM
Premium Member

I made 393/427 btw on a mustang Dyno with this turbo. I an not sure if anyone got this on may 7th. Dyno sheets are all over the place. Car pulls nicely /thread
Old 05-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by EXCESSboost
I know why they are down talking the product. These 2 vendors that are heavily envolved with this thread both have K04 turbocharger products. One a reworked K04 and the other in the design stage. If they both give in and give positive remarks, that means their turbo market will drop. Ofcourse they don't want that.

I don't get envolved when discussing other business's products. Everyone has to make money to pay bills and feed their families and I respect that.

That is truly not the case. I sell very little parts and I really don't go out and promote them or push them. If the 2860 would've made a 20-30whp gain there would be no issue. The fact that it made the same power with slightly added lag just didn't make it worth buying in my eyes. Other customers then went and dyno'd to find the same results. They were also unhappy. Whether Im a vendor making millions or just some random guy, if the part doesn't perform then it is what it is. Ive already said I think the 2871 is a good upgrade and that should be considered the stg1 upgrade. I just don't like the dip and after seeing it on a couple cars, I feel there is still some other issue.

I don't have anybody coming in your thread posting negative anything. Ive spent a lot of my time tuning these setups and trying to go above and beyond to make them work for the customers. Sorry it didn't work out but sometimes that happens with new things. You offered a good solution to a few people with trades for the 2871 and I agree that's a great offer and they will be much happier with the new setup.

I am offering a turbo solution myself but it's not a bolt-on or cheap solution. So I have no need to slam your product to promote my own, they aren't in the same category of upgrades.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 40rty
This bickering or who makes what, and how I use this blend or I trap this all goes where??? To making more sales?? To being top dog?? WHO CARES!!!!!! Tuners just do your thing and don't worry as to who doubts what you're doing.

REALLY ZZP, REALLY BYT, REALLY TERM2?? I take no sides, lets just let the thread continue about the BNR-2871r. There are other threads like ZZP's EFR turbo dicussion where "ZPP" you have reign. Whatever started or who compared what, GET BACK ON TRACK with furthering development in a "PROFESSIONAL" way.
All I did was post what I found from tuning these cars. NOBODY else was posting graphs until I did. Would you rather I said nothing then 6 months later we had a couple dozen cars with no gains and people making threads bashing BNR?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Former Vendor

Yeah I am serious. Go look up what the OCT equivalency of full E85 is. 94-96OCT. So 6 gallons of 96oct+6gallons of 91 Oct = 93.5oct. I am only running 18 degrees of timing up top. So you can't say that I am running ridiculous timing from the knock protection of E85. I think its a pretty fair comparo considering the fueling issues I am having with E47. If I had 93 Oct here I am pretty sure I would be close to the same number. At-least I am being honest with what I am working with.

also take a read here "E85 has an octane rating higher than that of regular gasoline's typical rating of 87, or premium gasoline's 91-93. This allows it to be used in higher-compression engines, which tend to produce more power per unit of displacement than their gasoline counterparts. The Renewable Fuels Foundation states in its Changes in Gasoline IV manual, "There is no requirement to post octane on an E85 dispenser. If a retailer chooses to post octane, they should be aware that the often cited 105 octane is incorrect. This number was derived by using ethanol’s blending octane value in gasoline. This is not the proper way to calculate the octane of E85. Ethanol’s true octane value should be used to calculate E85’s octane value. This results in an octane range of 94-96 (R+M)/2. These calculations have been confirmed by actual-octane engine tests"
Lol, it's not just the octane that matters. Obviously there is more power to be made with Ethanol over gasoline, otherwise we wouldn't be doing all this r&d to figure out how to effectively use Ethanol. Let's not get to the point where we say that it's only 47% E, so it's not really doing anything. We all know that most of the gains are in by that point. By comparison, we dyno'd a car yesterday that put down 304 on 93 and 327 on E70 just poured in. This would put it in the 50-60% E range at the most. Yes, Ethanol adds that much power.

On another note- I have never bashed the 2871 or said that you won't be able to make more power if you add boost, add timing, etc... I only said, "We need more data before I would accept the 75whp gain claim." After going in circles for a while, you point out that you could change a couple things and make more power. Well, gues what? If completed successfully, that would be more data! What we have now is more predictions, which is fine for discussion, but should never be stated as fact until actually achieved. Do you see what I'm saying?
Old 05-12-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I found the absolute fueling limit on E-47 and the BNR 2871. This is Drew's car at 28 psi in 3rd gear. The HPFP cannot give enough fuel even ramping up the pressure slowly in the midrange does not help. Running flat fuel pressure like stock makes the issue even worse than it already is and advancing the injection timing has no effect what so ever. The HPFP just cannot give enough fuel to support this much power on E-47.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Not sure on the power level on this pull but I would guess comparing to the logs of the tune that made 393 whp 427 wrtq this is ~430-440 whp and 475 wrtq on that mustang dyno.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

I am going to do a dyno on just 91 Oct too.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:59 AM

well its not a ZZP Car so its always going to be sub par. I wonder why we have not seen ANYONE put down the numbers that ZZP claims for their stock K04 cars. (on a mustang dyno) Magic seems to just happen in their shop. Also NO ONE (other than ZZP of course) has been able to run 370+WHP of E70/E85. (mustang dyno) (without spray) Also its weird how your fuel systems don't max out where everyone elses do.
This X10000000000000000000. I also find it funny that zzp made 509 whp on a dynojet with their S-252 and yet everyone I have seen dyno there ZZP kit with the S-252 has fallen 100 whp short of those numbers on dynojets. One-252 car made only 350 whp on a mustang dyno at 22 psi on 93 octane here in florida (I did not tune said car).

Last edited by Terminator2; 05-12-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Former Vendor

They are running additional injectors to be able to run Full E on the car.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:20 AM

ok guy I dont want to get in this but come on do you think Matt would take all the time out to make up these numbers?
My car is on full E and I picked up 21hp. Matt never had a problem or anything....I am sure BYT and TERM have done a lot of tunning BUT I am sure together they have half of what Matt has. Matt wakes up everyday and tunes/works on cars. he loves it so much he stays after hours and works weekends. Also when and If Matt cant figure somthing out he has Ryan and Tim there to help. Come on Matts been doing this for years. just saying
Old 05-12-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by BYT*SS*TURBO
They are running additional injectors to be able to run Full E on the car.
I know but they did not have them on there until they started testing their cams an E-74 on the car. This happened before that.

Quick Reply: Bnr k04-gt28