08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

To buy high-mileage cobalt or no?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 01:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question To buy high-mileage cobalt or no?

Hey all. I'm doing some shopping around to look for (hopefully soon) my first Cobalt SS purchase. I've been driving my Jetta for a few years now and I've decided it's about time for an upgrade.

My question to you all is this.... how high mileage is too high for reliability's sake for these cars? I know, I know... it all depends on how the car was maintained, etc. But for instance, I would feel totally safe buying a Civic with 125,000 miles on it and maintenance history. Is the LNF/LSJ worthy to be considered at 100,000+ for a daily driver without being too concerned about whether something will blow soon? I'm a reasonable mechanic, but I have no access to a garage at the moment, so anything that needs fixed will be in a parking lot or taken to a shop most likely.

I've been limiting all my searches to under 75,000 miles, but that heavily limits selection within 200-300 miles of me. I'd obviously prefer low miles, but if it's a highly reliable car, I might be willing to venture a bit higher if it lands me a killer deal!

My 120,000ish mile 2002 Jetta has been kind of a money pit for repairs lately. I'd prefer not to have the same issues with my next car if possible.

Bottom line, is there a limit to mileage you would consider "safe" on an LNF or LSJ? Is one considered more reliable than the other? Any other considerations specific to these cars to be aware of?

I really appreciate the help, all!
Old 10-12-2015, 01:25 AM

Received 132 Likes on 109 Posts
I bought my lsj at 150k. She now sits at almost 210k. Ive done general preventative maintenance along with axles, clutch, wheel bearings, and steering rack in the 4 years ive had it. It has been very reliable and i wouldnt hesitate to take a road trip in it. I bought my lnf a few months ago at 76k. I havent really put too many miles on it yet so i cant speak from personal experience. I will say from what ive read on this forum, that it does seem that the lnfs are a bit more picky than the lsj. Alot of these cars are abused by owners who have no idea what they are doing. Its very important to try to find one in stock form with a knowledgeable owner.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wouldn't get a high mile one. I'd look for a low mile LNF.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:10 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by footballplaya3k
I wouldn't get a high mile one. I'd look for a low mile LNF.
This is good advice but the biggest issue is a lot of these cars get driven real hard by younger guys so you never really know. If I were to get one with high miles I would try and get one cheap enough to have cash set back on an ldk setup and rebuilt trans. That's just me though, mine only has 39,000 but I already have a spare trans waiting.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:33 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
I have a 89k mile 09 LNF. Im the original owner. I dont feel like 89k miles is all that high because really the car feels exactly like it did when I owned it at 400 miles lol. The carpets more faded, theres some scuffs and chips in the front bumper but the engine and transmission feels the same.

Id have no quarrels buying an LNF with 100k miles as long as the previous owner was 30 years old or older lmao. Yes I have flogged my car but very rarely. Not many people challenge cobalt sedans. Been to the track twice. 3 runs on a 1/4 mile. 1 run on an 1/8. You just need to buy a car from someone that takes care of the car, proper maintenance shows. If the car is shiny thats a good sign. If the door jams, engine bay, trunk jam sparkles... thats a good sign. If the guy has multiple sets of wheels for the car, thats a good sign lol. If the previous owner isnt 18 years old and telling you he's owned the car for 5 years, thats a good sign.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought mine with 67k on the clock, thinking it would be a good car commuting. When I picked it up, clutch was shot so dropped $600 of the bat for that. Then recently had issues with 5th gear but just got that back from the shop so hope it's solved. An occasional check engine light about every 500 miles for laggy rear O2 sensor, but shut it off then restart and sensor is back to cycling (can see the graph on Torque app).
Other than those issues, it's been a fun and great car. 72k on it now and just got beck from a 600 mile road trip this weekend, and schooled a gti and a diesel pickup on the highway
Old 10-12-2015, 11:09 PM

Received 92 Likes on 85 Posts
I bought my '09 lnf back in August, with 72k on the clock. Paid a bit more than I would have liked to, but I did get it at a Ford stealership. The main reason I bought it was because the Carfax showed only 1 previous owner, a lot of maintenance done at a Chevy dealer, and the car was in imaculate condition with no signs of being modified ever. I don't know if I could trust this statement, but the sales person did say the couple that owned it were in their late 30's, and traded it in for a 2015 Mustang GT convertable. I can't attest to long term ownership/maintenance yet, but the car has been trouble free from day one, up to 76k miles now with no leaks/creaks/squeeks, or any other oddities you could think of.