08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Choosing between ZZP and AutoWerks long block

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by emiller
I can see why op might make this choice. Since he is their test build I assume he would get a really nice price in exchange for a probably slower build because of the issues that are bound to occur with a 1st time build of this level for them. And hopefully once the bugs are worked out he will end up with a quality finished level product.
I hope so LOL. I hope to get a good price for being the person that will allow them to prove themselves to the market with a high power engine and that the quality will be outstanding.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't say you are their test build as far as the motor goes. There are only a few options that you are deciding to go with that I didn't when they built mine. You would however be one of the first to have them slap a big turbo on. Like said before they have built plenty of motors that could take on a lot of power. Your build should be interesting though, they are finishing up my turbo swap this week
Old 11-19-2013, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matt M
What happens if this build doesn't pan out?
If someone has the cash why wouldn't it? What's so special about zzp? Surely isn't your manifold you sold mewarped so bad it blew my exhaust gasket on install and paid 60 bucks out of pocket to have it milled but when I contacted you after 3 attempts and 2 weeks later to get a runaround answer.

You guys definitley do good r&d but holy hell you guys act like you are god sometimes and tour customer service is among the worst I've ever seen when I was doing my cobalt.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kxrida2000
If someone has the cash why wouldn't it? What's so special about zzp? Surely isn't your manifold you sold mewarped so bad it blew my exhaust gasket on install and paid 60 bucks out of pocket to have it milled but when I contacted you after 3 attempts and 2 weeks later to get a runaround answer.

You guys definitley do good r&d but holy hell you guys act like you are god sometimes and tour customer service is among the worst I've ever seen when I was doing my cobalt.
lol, calm down. All I did was ask a question. I said, "What happens if this build doesn't pan out?" and you respond by saying that we "act like you are god."

As far as your manifold, I know nothing about it, but I do know that if it was bad that we would have replaced it for free.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Former Vendor

If someone has the cash why wouldn't it?
I forgot to comment on this. If you think having some cash will typically result in successfully completing a build, then you are not experienced enough in modding cars to be responding in this thread.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:16 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
The build will pan out if he decides to go through. the only way it wwouldn't is if he decides to pull the plug and not come to us for the build. I say that with 110% confidence.

We arent aren't some cobble together hack shop with little to no experience. we have the resources and knowledge.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:04 AM

I forgot to comment on this. If you think having some cash will typically result in successfully completing a build, then you are not experienced enough in modding cars to be responding in this thread.
I did contact about the manifold twice and got a runaround answer both times. And get off your high horse bud there is nothing special about zzp besides modding cars most people don't want to. Start developing parts for Hondas and supras and see how well known you are in the community....
Old 11-21-2013, 10:15 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
And get off your high horse bud there is nothing special about zzp besides modding cars most people don't want to. Start developing parts for Hondas and supras and see how well known you are in the community....
Ok it's cool if you don't like ZZP, but at leaat make sense when you try to bash them. What in the world does development of parts for a honda or a supra going to prove to a COBALT COMMUNITY. The supra/2jz community nor does honda community has no bearing on a delta build.

Sound Performance does Supras and LS1s, Titan does Supras, Ill Garage does hondas....and they all specialize in them....as does ZZP with 3800s, Deltas/LNFs/ecotecs.

And just because you don't like them doesn't mean you need to discredit them for their accomplishments. They've developed a massive amount of parts for a dying community of cheap enthusiasts who want everything for damn near free and continue to support and make parts for us.

Bashing is fine, you don't have to like them. But please keep it relevent.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Scythe_Snake
Ok it's cool if you don't like ZZP, but at leaat make sense when you try to bash them. What in the world does development of parts for a honda or a supra going to prove to a COBALT COMMUNITY. The supra/2jz community nor does honda community has no bearing on a delta build.

Sound Performance does Supras and LS1s, Titan does Supras, Ill Garage does hondas....and they all specialize in them....as does ZZP with 3800s, Deltas/LNFs/ecotecs.

And just because you don't like them doesn't mean you need to discredit them for their accomplishments. They've developed a massive amount of parts for a dying community of cheap enthusiasts who want everything for damn near free and continue to support and make parts for us.

I never said I didn't like them. I stated that they do great r&d. I said their customer service sucks and if they did develop parts for another community they wouldnt be nut hugged and think they are god like they do with cobalts. Matt apparently thinks no other shop but zzp can build a high HP ecotec. That is laughable
Old 11-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Former Vendor

I did contact about the manifold twice and got a runaround answer both times.
Considering that you said you had the manifold fixed right away, I bet you emailed us later asking for money or compensation. You were likely told that we need to have parts returned in order to warranty them. Then you probably got mad and decided that our customer service sucks. Straight from the owner, we were told to swap out the old manifolds for the revised ones even if the customer had them for a while. If you can't manage to work with us well enough to make a simple exchange, that would fall on you. I deal with your type often. You want to be a dick to get improved customer service. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. Not with ZZP.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Former Vendor

I never said I didn't like them. I stated that they do great r&d. I said their customer service sucks and if they did develop parts for another community they wouldnt be nut hugged and think they are god like they do with cobalts. Matt apparently thinks no other shop but zzp can build a high HP ecotec. That is laughable
When did I say no other shop could do it? There are lots of shops that could. The problem is that it would cost a fortune to go to them for a 600whp Cobalt build, and you would end up with a bunch of ZZP parts on the car anyway. Other shops are not going to develop the necessary parts for a one-off build.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:33 AM

That's actually the exact opposite that happened. I said it was warped and the first answer I got was to check my head. Didn't even acknowledge that retard statement so I emailed again and got told some answer that the flange isn't warped that Ryan vises them down when they cool and then the flange is checked with a straight edge before it sent out. That's when I fixed it myself
Old 11-21-2013, 10:33 AM
Former Vendor

He just got his feelings hurt when I said that he is not experienced enough to respond in this thread.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:38 AM

The same could be said for other specialized shops. If ill garage made cobalt parts they wouldn't get "love" either. The point is moot. Bottom line is they are specialized and making parts for 5-6 different markets that they own cars for.

Matt and the crew have done extensive research on the platform. And did you expect him to tell the OP to go to werks? Lol

I'm going to use an evo example. Company, pro-efi specialize in subaru. Built a good friends evo. Fully built motor, 64mm turbo, head, etc. Crazy build. The car broke on the drive back under normal driving, was warrantied 3 times, and never ran or made the amount of power it was supposed to (680-800) before he gave up and got away from the shop and went to a shop who did mitsus. They had to redo damn near everything...tuning, torque on bolts in the motor, etc. Then the car started to run right.

Get the point?

Werks does deltas and kappas and I'm sure they'll dl their best here as well. But I know I wouldnt trust a build to TTR for instance.

Last edited by Scythe_Snake; 11-21-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Former Vendor

That's when I fixed it myself
Instead of sending it in for a replacement. That is what I'm talking about. If you need to have a part warrantied, either send it back or fix it yourself and stop bitching. Claiming that you fixed it yourself and then bitching about it down the road is useless. Furthermore, if you could be reasonable with your relationship with ZZP. Then we would take your word for it and send you a new one and a shipping label to send yours back. People like you that start out by acting the way you do typically don't get far. We would have no incentive to go against policy to please someone who clearly would not return the favor.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:42 AM

He just got his feelings hurt when I said that he is not experienced enough to respond in this thread.
Again with the high horse. I wish I was as cool as you matt. I'm more experienced than 95% of this thread.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:12 AM

Again with the high horse. I wish I was as cool as you matt. I'm more experienced than 95% of this thread.
Why do you keep saying he is on his high horse? They currently own/have built some of the highest horsepower lnfs/lsjs and, as you said, do all this r&d, and service hundreds if deltas and other cars.

It sounds like your hang up is personal and against Matt and the following ZZP has.

Saying you're more experienced than most in this thread sounds pretty high horsed...seeing as many here have quite the bit of experience.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:20 AM

The same could be said for other specialized shops. If ill garage made cobalt parts they wouldn't get "love" either. The point is moot. Bottom line is they are specialized and making parts for 5-6 different markets that they own cars for.

Matt and the crew have done extensive research on the platform. And did you expect him to tell the OP to go to werks? Lol

I'm going to use an evo example. Company, pro-efi specialize in subaru. Built a good friends evo. Fully built motor, 64mm turbo, head, etc. Crazy build. The car broke on the drive back under normal driving, was warrantied 3 times, and never ran or made the amount of power it was supposed to (680-800) before he gave up and got away from the shop and went to a shop who did mitsus. They had to redo damn near everything...tuning, torque on bolts in the motor, etc. Then the car started to run right.

Get the point?

Werks does deltas and kappas and I'm sure they'll dl their best here as well. But I know I wouldnt trust a build to TTR for instance.
Get the point that werks does lnf builds also. They are a reputable shop, not some shop who works on a completely different platform. Matt seems to think they are the only shop who can build an ecotec is all I'm saying. Again, that is laughable.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Former Vendor

You stated that as long as someone has money that the build will pan out. That is a clear indication that you are not an experienced modder.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:22 AM

Instead of sending it in for a replacement. That is what I'm talking about. If you need to have a part warrantied, either send it back or fix it yourself and stop bitching. Claiming that you fixed it yourself and then bitching about it down the road is useless. Furthermore, if you could be reasonable with your relationship with ZZP. Then we would take your word for it and send you a new one and a shipping label to send yours back. People like you that start out by acting the way you do typically don't get far. We would have no incentive to go against policy to please someone who clearly would not return the favor.
The emails I sent were over 3 days. I tried calling but of course zzp doesn't answer the phone. I didn't have time to wait for my part while you guys have a circle jerk and my car was taking up my lift.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:23 AM

You stated that as long as someone has money that the build will pan out. That is a clear indication that you are not an experienced modder.
That's not what I meant by that. I meant as long as he had the money the build would pan out at werks, not anywhere. I wouldn't take my car to Midas with a pocket full of cash and expect a good outcome, you know what I meant
Old 11-21-2013, 11:26 AM

Why do you keep saying he is on his high horse? They currently own/have built some of the highest horsepower lnfs/lsjs and, as you said, do all this r&d, and service hundreds if deltas and other cars.

It sounds like your hang up is personal and against Matt and the following ZZP has.

Saying you're more experienced than most in this thread sounds pretty high horsed...seeing as many here have quite the bit of experience.
I honestly try not to be on a high horse but in his situation it's true. I'm 22 and can do pretty much anything with a car I want including fabrication. Only thing I don't know is tuning which I don't want to learn to be quite honest. I'm more knowledgeable than most of this forum, not all but most
Old 11-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Former Vendor

Get the point that werks does lnf builds also. They are a reputable shop, not some shop who works on a completely different platform. Matt seems to think they are the only shop who can build an ecotec is all I'm saying. Again, that is laughable.
No, once again, I said nothing of the sort. I will say that we are the only ones that do, but I will never say we are the only one's that can. Obviously if Duttweiller decided to build crazy Cobalts, he could easily put together a 1000whp car for a customer. He would also hand him a bill for 80 grand, so the point is not relevant. On the other hand, can Werks build a 600whp Cobalt that runs and drives great and passes emissions? No one knows because they have not attempted this in the past. My question to you was, "What happens if this build doesn't pan out?" It was a fair question because the customer is taking on a risk by choosing to have his car modified to this level. This questions needs to be asked. FWIW, we would not mind at all if someone asked the exact same question regarding a large build getting done at ZZP. High horse? Not at all. It's more like common sense.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Former Vendor

The emails I sent were over 3 days. I tried calling but of course zzp doesn't answer the phone. I didn't have time to wait for my part while you guys have a circle jerk and my car was taking up my lift.
Once again- our phone calls are on a call-back basis. If you leave a message, Steve calls you back. If you call 56 times and keep getting mad, that is your fault.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:39 AM

Once again- our phone calls are on a call-back basis. If you leave a message, Steve calls you back. If you call 56 times and keep getting mad, that is your fault.
That's the dumbest **** I've ever heard but ok. I obviously don't hate your shop, I've ordered in the neighborhood of $5000 in parts from you I'm just saying the customer service is lacking and you guys put off the attitude that nobody else is qualified because you built a few fast high hp cobaltss that is all

Quick Reply: Choosing between ZZP and AutoWerks long block