08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

K&N Intake for SS/TC

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
from what I've heard you should be at 0 as much as you can but a slight negative (-) is better than a slight positive(+).
Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This intake is sounding promising will definitely be in for the group buy.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by northvibe
from what I've heard you should be at 0 as much as you can but a slight negative (-) is better than a slight positive(+).
^this
Old 06-11-2010, 10:45 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by ford
Thanks! i was actually going to ask what you had found to be best so far, as i dont have tuning software to monitor the car. I simply am going off of throttle response and then backing it off a little so as not to run it lean or anything. right now i have it at 12:30 and it idles smoooooooth and has less surge than it did stock.

That thing is scary loud the first time you turn the car on haha.
oh yeah! On a cold start with the hood up, it sounds extremely loud for vacuum. That would be the Open circuit... Its what it sounds like under your hood at WOT. You just cant tell cause you hear the exhaust and the car is moving. You can hear that vacuum noise at about 0 psi from inside the car as well. I thought it was a grinding noise at first.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 AM

Sounds like a supra with a little turbo bark? Its the first modded TC balt i know of, so im not sure if it sounds like the rest of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnnFPsHzBJE
Sounds like a dog swallowed a duck and it's trying to get out . Still in for the long term results, but it looks like K&N definitely did their research in this case instead of just dumping a tube on the turbo
Old 06-11-2010, 11:37 AM

Makes me want to bring out my inner ricer even though Im still stock
Old 06-11-2010, 11:42 AM

Questionase:

So everybody take off their - negative battery terminal?

Did it screw with your GMS1 or security system at all? lol figure it won't as they are both loaded software on the computer....kind of like turning off your desktop....doesn't delete software....like GMS1

^^ i know, i know....i just want piece of mind haha^^

btw: would that reset oil life monitor?
Old 06-11-2010, 11:50 AM

Well, this intake definitely looks promising, and sounds pretty good. I'd be interested once I see some more info regarding gains on full bolt on tuned cars, and see how tuning for the intake goes.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by drburns
Well, this intake definitely looks promising, and sounds pretty good. I'd be interested once I see some more info regarding gains on full bolt on tuned cars, and see how tuning for the intake goes.
With FTs being in the ranges people are reporting and 0 evidence of surging or fluttering under open loop or idle/WOT, this may very well be the first intake that does NOT require tuning to work correctly with the stock or GMS1 tunes. That doesn't mean you couldn't get some more out of it by putting time into it but I've been holding out for an option that will show some gains (even if slight) without having to invest in a 2nd ECM and a custom tune...at least for the time being .
Old 06-11-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by SS_carnatic
Questionase:

Did it screw with your GMS1 or security system at all? lol figure it won't as they are both loaded software on the computer....kind of like turning off your desktop....doesn't delete software....like GMS1

Yes, anytime you add something to your car unhook the battery to resest the ecu. It will not mess with any of your data(oil life, etc..) It's just resetting fuel trims etc
Old 06-11-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by F_Imports_09tc
Yes, anytime you add something to your car unhook the battery to resest the ecu. It will not mess with any of your data(oil life, etc..) It's just resetting fuel trims etc
This is where I get confused. Is it really necessary to reset the LTFTs? Will they not correct themselves over time based on the STFTs the vehicle sees over X number of miles after the intake is installed? I understand it may throw a CEL if they're horribly out of whack but are LTFTs not in place for this very reason...adapt to the vehicle's operating environment to determine what is "normal" for it in its surroundings without requiring a reset?

Please be gentle with the responses . I've been investing a **** tonne of time reading/researching/learning on everything to do with tuning, how the modules all work/interact, etc but there's some things I might not be quite straightened out on yet .
Old 06-11-2010, 12:16 PM

wait for group buy.....im in too man
Old 06-11-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by SS_carnatic
Questionase:

Yes, you should always unhook the battery as well. if the car deleted software each time it lost battery, you would lose a tune if you left your lights on.

Originally Posted by Permafried-
This is where I get confused. Is it really necessary to reset the LTFTs? Will they not correct themselves over time based on the STFTs the vehicle sees over X number of miles after the intake is installed? I understand it may throw a CEL if they're horribly out of whack but are LTFTs not in place for this very reason...adapt to the vehicle's operating environment to determine what is "normal" for it in its surroundings without requiring a reset?

Please be gentle with the responses . I've been investing a **** tonne of time reading/researching/learning on everything to do with tuning, how the modules all work/interact, etc but there's some things I might not be quite straightened out on yet .
Unplugging the battery is not for resetting the ECU so much as not ruining any electrical components while working on the car. I had a friend leave the battery hooked up while working on his neon... it made a loud pop, i laughed, and the car wont start anymore

People really should not psych themselves out worrying about this intake. It has about 200 miles on it already and no fluttering, collapsing, driveability issues to speak of.

Last edited by ford; 06-11-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-11-2010, 12:22 PM

Unplugging the battery is not for resetting the ECU so much as not ruining any electrical components while working on the car. I had a friend leave the battery hooked up while working on his neon... it made a loud pop, i laughed, and the car wont start anymore

People really should not psych themselves out worrying about this intake. It has about 200 miles on it already and no fluttering, collapsing, driveability issues to speak of.
That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure I wasn't completely missing something. Thanks !

Last edited by Permafried-; 06-11-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:22 PM

And if people are worried about anything i can take vids at idle, low speeds whatever. The car behaves better than it did with a stock airbox. One very happy customer

Plus the sound makes you smile each time you get on it.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Permafried-

You dont have to reset the LTFT's. I have tried it numerous ways now. I've gone from a 9:00 position and got -8.0 LTFT's then moved the filter to the 2:00 position and watched the LTFT's creep into the positives. After about 5 mins, I was at +6.5, lol. You would think the happy medium is about 11:00 but I think its about 12:30.

Another time I reset the PCM by unplugging it and I watched which way the LTFT's floated from 0.0
Old 06-11-2010, 12:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah sorry, just did some driving. Its smooth as **** at idle, i couldnt drive it as i broke my glasses and am blind as ****, so my brother was in the car. Comes on smooth and havent had any issues so far. It is LOUD though. It pulls pretty good, no erratic idle, no CEL and we put about 80 miles on it

Sounds like a supra with a little turbo bark? Its the first modded TC balt i know of, so im not sure if it sounds like the rest of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnnFPsHzBJE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRJQ7WtdLFY

Oh and the 09 and the K&N had the correct bracket, no modification needed or a new bracket. Install was a breeze and it fits amazingly well.
Do you have a BOV?
Old 06-11-2010, 01:36 PM

No, just GMS1 and K&N SRI, MPx downpipe and exhaust soon though.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by CudaJoe
You dont have to reset the LTFT's. I have tried it numerous ways now. I've gone from a 9:00 position and got -8.0 LTFT's then moved the filter to the 2:00 position and watched the LTFT's creep into the positives. After about 5 mins, I was at +6.5, lol. You would think the happy medium is about 11:00 but I think its about 12:30.

Another time I reset the PCM by unplugging it and I watched which way the LTFT's floated from 0.0
Thanks to you as well...both you and ford confirmed I'm on the right track so all this reading must be payin' off .
Old 06-11-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by steddy2112
Do you have a BOV?
Thats pretty wild huh? Mine makes a similar noise but I only boost to 15psi so mines a quick yelp not that slightly drawn out longer yelp, lol. Really does sound like a BOV with some Flutter.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:54 PM

so are the sri from k&n on back order or what cus their website has said out of stock for a while now
Old 06-11-2010, 02:04 PM

they made 30 units and all were sold they should have more ready soon read this thread and u would know
Old 06-11-2010, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No, just GMS1 and K&N SRI, MPx downpipe and exhaust soon though.
Sounds like it's fluttering.

Thats pretty wild huh? Mine makes a similar noise but I only boost to 15psi so mines a quick yelp not that slightly drawn out longer yelp, lol. Really does sound like a BOV with some Flutter.
Fluttering isn't AS BAD as some people make it out to be...and it could be his car...I wanna hear a few more cars first.

Last edited by steddy2112; 06-11-2010 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-11-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Whitty
they made 30 units and all were sold they should have more ready soon read this thread and u would know
Its the reward we get for pulling the trigger and getting the intake, lol.

Originally Posted by steddy2112
Sounds like it's fluttering.

Fluttering isn't AS BAD as some people make it out to be...and it could be his car...I wanna hear a few more cars first.
mine doesnt make that fluttering noise, and im on the stock tune. I think thats just the noise the stock BPV makes with the GMS1.

Last edited by CudaJoe; 06-11-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-11-2010, 02:16 PM

mine doesnt make that fluttering noise, and im on the stock tune. I think thats just the noise the stock BPV makes with the GMS1.
The BPV is louder on the GMS1, I can vouch for that but much but not sure about the noise itself 'cause it's heavily muffled by the stock airbox. I'm accustomed to hearing it open/close relatively quickly depending on weather/ambient temperatures.

Quick Reply: K&N Intake for SS/TC