08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

No lift shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pookie025
thats bs it says it in the manual
Yeah, it also says you can use 87 octane too......but guess what, if you have a fuel octane/quality/contamination related failure or concern its not covered by warranty.....
Old 07-23-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's why I'm saying **** it and getting an after market tune, what's the point of keeping slow and stock if half my warranty is already gone with my bolt ons!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maven
Yeah, it also says you can use 87 octane too......but guess what, if you have a fuel octane/quality/contamination related failure or concern its not covered by warranty.....
but it doesn't recommend it.

It would be like the manual saying " This is the NLS feature, but we do not recommend using it"
Old 07-23-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by ElDude
but it doesn't recommend it.

It would be like the manual saying " This is the NLS feature, but we do not recommend using it"
GM doesnt "not recommend" using 87 octane.

They dont however recommend shifting without traction.....damage caused by this isnt covered.....extra power can create wheelsping obviously...... So double whammy, tune and wheelspin.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
Please sticky this so all of us that keep saying "god damn it just run 91 because it's recommended"
Old 07-23-2009, 11:45 PM

can someone post a video of their tc using the nls?

I'd like to hear this "noise" or "bang" when it happens, I keep reading people are saying its loud or something.....I'm guessing its fuel igniting in the exhaust?
Old 07-23-2009, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BERGER

I'd like to hear this "noise" or "bang" when it happens, I keep reading people are saying its loud or something.....I'm guessing its fuel igniting in the exhaust?
i just might have that soon lol. i want to do an exhaust vid. maybe tomorrow. i have nothing to do tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BERGER

Here's two examples to get you started:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGC1V6IDLlU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CACoZojujKk
Old 07-24-2009, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i will do one inside the car. if i break something on camera you can laugh at me
knock on wood!
Old 07-24-2009, 05:02 AM
Banned

NLS scares me. I have done it into 3rd a few times and have heard a quick grinding more than a pop. And I have done it good where I hear the pop. I dunno what I am doing wrong.

I hit it at about 6k, but damn... our Tachs are soooo delayed. Honestly, for the road ( never going to a track) just hitting gears quick is fast enough.

my stock contis are going bald with 14 k ( rotated original fronts to back at about 8 k cuz bald)

and btw, the noise you hear when you NLS correctly is pretty unique and odd. Its not like a gunshot of any type.

im not a car nut, but the whole igniting fuel in the exhaust sounds like it could be the sound.

Last edited by ElDude; 07-24-2009 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-24-2009, 08:56 AM

since when was NLSing "abuse"????

its advertised by Chevy and something that is part of the car.
Originally Posted by pookie025
thats bs it says it in the manual
That's true it does say it in the manual. However, GM IS NOT A SPONSOR FOR OUR RACING! If you're that worried about a warranty...then don't race. Racing pushes cars to, and sometimes beyond their limits...I've even blown a car up at the racetrack (boy was that a fun night). If you're going to race your car or modify your car in ANY way...be prepared for the potential consequences. And no...don't bring up the Magnuson Moss Act or whatever it is...because that's not used for what many of you think it's used for.

Flame suit on
Old 07-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sweetsandman
That's true it does say it in the manual. However, GM IS NOT A SPONSOR FOR OUR RACING! If you're that worried about a warranty...then don't race. Racing pushes cars to, and sometimes beyond their limits...I've even blown a car up at the racetrack (boy was that a fun night). If you're going to race your car or modify your car in ANY way...be prepared for the potential consequences. And no...don't bring up the Magnuson Moss Act or whatever it is...because that's not used for what many of you think it's used for.

Flame suit on
Im not racing bro. Sometimes on a back stretch of country road, I would like to NLS into 3rd or possibly 4th. thats all *I* am saying.

How do they tell racing abuse from something else going wrong that they should cover? I know on certain things there may be indicators.

I mean, there is a degree of human error involved here, we kinda help make these automobiles we drive. We can **** up in making them. All I am saying/pondering
Old 07-24-2009, 04:24 PM

Im not racing bro. Sometimes on a back stretch of country road, I would like to NLS into 3rd or possibly 4th. thats all *I* am saying.

How do they tell racing abuse from something else going wrong that they should cover? I know on certain things there may be indicators.

I mean, there is a degree of human error involved here, we kinda help make these automobiles we drive. We can **** up in making them. All I am saying/pondering
Let me ask you this...what are you worried about breaking? If you're doing it once in a while on back roads...I wouldn't worry about the car breaking...just don't miss a shift and go from 3rd to 2nd on accident and over rev the **** out of it..in fact..don't miss a shift ever...but if you or anyone worried about there warranty is like me and races at the track regularly..then you should understand that you run the risk of breaking something...and it should in NO WAY be on GM's tab...you break it, you buy it.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:43 PM

I know the consquences of what can happen when modifying and racing your car. When I had my gtp I went through the stock trans, and chuncked atleast 4 pistons (not at all at once though) But its not fun having to yank the engine out, replace the pistons and all the gaskets that need replaced. I got burnt out on that but did miss the racing when I sold the car.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stamina
thanks!

its not as loud as some of the guys here make it out to be.....Both of those cars sound stock exhaust to me though, so maybe a muffler delete or a dp with no cat would add to the noise....makes sense in my opinion.

Originally Posted by 09turbo
i just might have that soon lol. i want to do an exhaust vid. maybe tomorrow. i have nothing to do tomorrow.
nice, any exhaust mods? I'd love to hear it with a catless dp and or muffler delete...
Old 07-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sweetsandman
Let me ask you this...what are you worried about breaking? If you're doing it once in a while on back roads...I wouldn't worry about the car breaking...just don't miss a shift and go from 3rd to 2nd on accident and over rev the **** out of it..in fact..don't miss a shift ever...but if you or anyone worried about there warranty is like me and races at the track regularly..then you should understand that you run the risk of breaking something...and it should in NO WAY be on GM's tab...you break it, you buy it.
yeah if you drag the car every weekend and **** breaks, well thats your fault. Im with you.

But there is a lot more to "racing" than the NLS feature. Lots of other stressors involved that can also damage the car.

You gotta remember, that even with a pro shifting, the tranny is taking wear..... its mechanical... I mean.. eventually trannys fail.

Even with Bill Hahn shifting everytime ( name drop FTW) at a drag strip, eventually, ***** going to **** up.

I have gone to NLS from 2nd into 3rd and got like locked out of 3rd, either that or I let the clutch out before I was all the way in 3rd..... I have never came close to going from like 3rd to 2nd or 4th to 3rd.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:59 PM

I don't know if im doing this right

I hold down the gas... push down on the cluch while still holding down the gas, shift, then release the clutch while never letting off the gas. The car does not hold current rpm and still revs to redline and holds there but i do hold boost. I have tried this a few times and it did make a weird grinding noise.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rckrz6
I don't know if im doing this right

I hold down the gas... push down on the cluch while still holding down the gas, shift, then release the clutch while never letting off the gas. The car does not hold current rpm and still revs to redline and holds there but i do hold boost. I have tried this a few times and it did make a weird grinding noise.
same here man.. Maybe your not hitting it fast enough? But I have heard grinding when doing a NLS into 3rd, and I hit that **** FAST! BUt yeah, its suppose to be completed within .3 seconds.

Remember, our cars have a bit of lag in the Tachometer when at WOT.... I use to hit my 2-3 NLS at 6,000 RPM, now I hit it around 5800.

the 2-3 NLS is the most used obviously.... if your NLSing from 3-4, your going fast as heck. But yeah, I don't go to the track at all, so really, no point in me NLS... I can hot dog around town just fine without it.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:49 PM

3rd gear is a common failure, the pictures I posted were of a 3rd gear failure