08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

questions/concerns with lnf gms1 stage kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grishbok
they wouldnt warranty the gms1 if it was prone to failure like you are making it sound. that is all.
They don't warranty the GMS1, it just doesn't void your current warranty. That is all.

Actually that's not all...

I believe companies will always say their products/accessories will not void original warranty, no matter what it is or what it does to the original product. Take Xbox 360 for example, they warrantied their product regardless of the failure rate. Did the Xbox have a high failure rate? Yes yes it did and it still was under warranty, infact they extended the warranty knowing it would cost them. So companies don't say they'll warranty something because it works. They do it for the customer so they can feel at ease for their purchase.

Also, I never said the kit itself was bad and if I did, let me clarify my meaning.

Most failures happen because of install, I believe most dealerships and people don't know how to install the kits and causes the problem. The risk from what I understand comes from the sensors not the tune.

For me, the price for the kit $500 and install $200 from dealership is a high price for something that has a high chance of failure (based on sensor install) when I can just pay $550 for Trifecta (keeping cable or $350 no cable) for a tune that can be just as reliable.

Just saying

Last edited by vahdyx; 11-03-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:21 AM

ya but you gotta remember there is 1,000s of people with the stage kit, and only maybe 50 of them posted complaints here. its the false-consensus theory in full action. Were the bad is vastly overrepresented because they are here making a big stink.

How many perfectly happy people do you see continually ranting about the gmS1 like people bitch about it? Trust me the sensor issue is MUCH LESS of an issue than you think. The sensor install is easy, so easy that GM doesnt technically require GM to do it. Give dealerships SOME credit, they do work on cars and do basic stuff everyday, this is one of them. And even if the sensors are messed up, its an easy fix.

And dont let people tell you that if you gms1 and you need warranty work on your motor they will automatically claim abuse on you cuz you have the upgraded tune, i just had 1600 dollars worth of warranty work done on mine with them grinnin the entire time
Old 11-03-2010, 11:28 AM

For any product sold, you will get a ratio of something like 98%:1% of people with a complaint/negative than you do with people that have no issues for the simple fact that if you have no issues, you have no desire to complain about it.

Originally Posted by Baron7700
ya but you gotta remember there is 1,000s of people with the stage kit, and only maybe 50 of them posted complaints here. its the false-consensus theory in full action. Were the bad is vastly overrepresented because they are here making a big stink.

The gms1 kit IS warrantied actually. GM warranties the kit, and any parts affected.

Aftermarket companies use the "will not void warranty" as a sales pitch without backing it up, EVER. Apexi is the only company i have ever witnessed come out to the track, and fix the guys car when it broke due to one of their products.

Every other company can say it all they want, but when the car manufacturers legal team says they won't warranty the car, whose going to pay the bill to prove them wrong in court? YOU. not the intake company, not the chip/tuning company, but YOU. If the manufacturer says they wont pay, you will have to take them to court to force them to. Thats how it works. The Moss/Magnuson act will not protect you from this because pure and simple, the company knows it will cost ore in court fees than paying for the repairs.

This is not the case with gms1. If something goes wrong, go to your dealership and theyll fix it, because its under warranty. That is the single biggest point about gms1. If you are still under warranty, and don't want to deal with any hassle but still mod the car a little bit, youd have to be an idiot not to use gms1.

If you are confident that you can diagnose any problem that you come across, then get a tune like trifecta.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:43 AM

Mods are below and I have the GM stage 1 .I have no problems so far, over 10 000 km, (knocks on wood) but I have not data logged the car.I do feel I need an after market tune, most likely Trifecta at 24 psi .The tune will come by spring.I am just concerned that the stock clutch will not hold up.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:57 PM

what kinda sucked for me was the fact that when i bought my car, they failed to mention the gms1 upgrade. if i had it installed when i bought the car, parts would have a 5 year warranty, instead they only have the 1 year now. pretty weak if you ask me.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:27 PM

an informed consumer is a companies biggest threat. 5 year warranty gms1 for me but then again, i have plenty of faster toys to play with as well that i don't have to worry about banging up on the track.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:02 PM

Okay, all you guys have very valid points. Also I didn't know that the GMS1 was warrantied, I figured if I bought it 2 days before my Powertrain warranty ends then after that it's over. I see this may not be true? Can someone educate me.

Also,

I did start a thread asking people to state their good experiences and some have had great experiences then months later they say well I'm fluttering or surging.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by reefer_roids
what kinda sucked for me was the fact that when i bought my car, they failed to mention the gms1 upgrade. if i had it installed when i bought the car, parts would have a 5 year warranty, instead they only have the 1 year now. pretty weak if you ask me.
if it doesnt break in the first year...it probably wont ever.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by northvibe
if it doesnt break in the first year...it probably wont ever.
^^^ yup... try 6 months usually

Originally Posted by vahdyx
Okay, all you guys have very valid points. Also I didn't know that the GMS1 was warrantied, I figured if I bought it 2 days before my Powertrain warranty ends then after that it's over. I see this may not be true? Can someone educate me.

Also,

I did start a thread asking people to state their good experiences and some have had great experiences then months later they say well I'm fluttering or surging.
Your powertrain warranty will end, but you will still have the two sensors under warranty for a year...
Old 11-03-2010, 03:42 PM

ya what is it, 3 months? If a new car or pc part doesnt break then its usually good.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:49 PM

Please please please dont take those phrases to heart. "If it doesnt break in a year it wont break"? Thats just something people say to put their minds at ease. Theres always going to be a part that slips through the QC but dont take those phrases literally.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Grishbok
Please please please dont take those phrases to heart. "If it doesnt break in a year it wont break"? Thats just something people say to put their minds at ease. Theres always going to be a part that slips through the QC but dont take those phrases literally.
uhhhh everything I have either breaks very quick or after a LONG (years) time. sooo idk whatever. people are way to worked up about this sensor thing. THey are @!#$#$ sensors. there will be a few that are bad, but they will go bad very quickly. Otherwise the rest have lasted a few years now. You know the LNF stage kit was released for the solstice and sky years ago right? this isnt a new kit.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 AM

Hey everyone, First post from a new Cobalt Owner ( Turbo car owner from Days of Old - GLH Omni)

so I've been reading alot on this GMS1 upgrade and a few things pop into my mind.

1. being that this upgrade is a pre-formatted burn and will not tune for peripheral add-on's like intake and downpipes or exhausts... what is everyone's thoughts on what occurs to the ECU when it senses increased flow.. does the system auto correct.. and you get an even more increased power output (but they can't be tuned for to get 100% of what you paid for... or does the pre burn, since its tuned for stock components, actually deegrade the performance of the car with peripherals added on?...

(I assume from reading alot of your posts, most are seeing gains with the additional add on's... but as I understand it, Turbo cars these days are much more finiky since ECU controls are so much more advanced.) plus with potential warranty issues, does GM also have intake addon's or downpipe add on's ? so far I've seen some for the SC versions.. but not for the TC... and if the car remains mostly stock.. What add on would be the best without voiding warranty to benefit from the GMS1?

2. since it seems that there are "some" mixed results on installations, maybe as a group we could post
some type of sucessful Dealer locations map where people had good or bad experiences? ... just a thought.

thanks everyone, glad to be involved!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MajorCB
Hey everyone, First post from a new Cobalt Owner ( Turbo car owner from Days of Old - GLH Omni)

so I've been reading alot on this GMS1 upgrade and a few things pop into my mind.

1. being that this upgrade is a pre-formatted burn and will not tune for peripheral add-on's like intake and downpipes or exhausts... what is everyone's thoughts on what occurs to the ECU when it senses increased flow.. does the system auto correct.. and you get an even more increased power output (but they can't be tuned for to get 100% of what you paid for... or does the pre burn, since its tuned for stock components, actually deegrade the performance of the car with peripherals added on?...

(I assume from reading alot of your posts, most are seeing gains with the additional add on's... but as I understand it, Turbo cars these days are much more finiky since ECU controls are so much more advanced.) plus with potential warranty issues, does GM also have intake addon's or downpipe add on's ? so far I've seen some for the SC versions.. but not for the TC... and if the car remains mostly stock.. What add on would be the best without voiding warranty to benefit from the GMS1?

2. since it seems that there are "some" mixed results on installations, maybe as a group we could post
some type of sucessful Dealer locations map where people had good or bad experiences? ... just a thought.

thanks everyone, glad to be involved!
The ECU on the LNF is a torque based controller. The calculations are mostly based on a torque model derived from ariload and Air to Fuel Ratio. Regardless of what mods you do, the ECU will still limit power based on those calculations. That doesn't mean that mods don't help. You will see faster spooling and an HP increase, it is just that mods don't make as big of a difference on this car as they do on some other cars. The other thing is that the ECU controls the wastegate, which limits the turbo to prevent it from overspinning. The wastegate controls can be modified by Trifecta or bypassed, but this isn't necessarily a good idea on the stock turbo.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:26 AM

you want a little faster with warranty? go gmstage 1
you want to pay to play ? go HPT or trifecta