08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Royal purple?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heres my question

who the **** is beating the **** out of their car on a daily basis to warrant any of these worries. hell i could put penn oil in my car if i dont take care of it then will it really matter?
Old 04-23-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's called the back pocket warranty it's the exact reason why I run Mobil 1 ..

Probably the same reason others do. My pocket isn't as big as GM's that is for sure.

Me being the warranter.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by ericgt79
heres my question

who the **** is beating the **** out of their car on a daily basis to warrant any of these worries. hell i could put penn oil in my car if i dont take care of it then will it really matter?
I don't think you realize how important using the proper oil is to your engine. If you use improper oil you don't even need to beat on it to turn it into a pile of garbage. You may not notice the effects right away but it all adds up in the end. and why buy a turbo car if you're not going to drive it hard once in awhile?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
heres my question

If you plan on keeping your car for many years you might care a little more.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Supercharged Guy
Royal Purple is fine to use, oil is oil IMO just cause it doesn't meet GM's requirements doesn't make it bad oil
i agree oil is just oil.. if im low on funds, sometimes ill get non synthetic oil and water it down just to help top it off.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:58 PM

Guys, lol.. this thread is hilarious. Oil is just oil?

Odd thing is I've used Mobil 1 5-30 synthetic in ALL my cars. Stopped doing that after getting some education, and owning my stupid Jeep. It got 5w20 just like what it came with from the factory.

Without getting into seriously boring numbers and scientific breakdowns of each and every type of oil out there... why not just use the oil that came with the car? They put this crap in cart F1 cars, and hundreds of high end automobiles. And it comes in your Cobalt? Why deviate?

Not all oils are even turbo approved. Lots of you guys are making over 400whp with your 2.0 fwd MONSTER, and still claiming warranty on a lot of issues? Pushing the boundaries is healthy from time to time... but some things are just best left alone.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by PrincessTurbo
It's called the back pocket warranty it's the exact reason why I run Mobil 1 ..

Probably the same reason others do. My pocket isn't as big as GM's that is for sure.

Me being the warranter.
Originally Posted by Martel18SS
and why buy a turbo car if you're not going to drive it hard once in awhile?
these two quotes cancel each other out
Old 04-23-2011, 11:57 PM

these two quotes cancel each other out
How so? Driving the SS hard doesn't void it's warranty (unless you overrev it).

Originally Posted by chood711
i agree oil is just oil.. if im low on funds, sometimes ill get non synthetic oil and water it down just to help top it off.
Oh wow. I totally would not do that. If you mix the wrong oils the additives can react and create precipitates...

Oil isn't "just oil". The molecules work different from oil to oil. and there's more than just oil in the oil, there's additives as well to make it work differently.

Last edited by Martel18SS; 04-24-2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-24-2011, 12:02 AM

because one says "i dont have the money to pay for my car to get fixed if i mess it up" the other says "why would i buy a car like this if i dont plan to beat the hell out of it racing every now and again"

i understand but i always say cars are an expensive hobby so if your not willing to play at your own risk then sell your car and buy a priuis
Old 04-24-2011, 12:08 AM

because one says "i dont have the money to pay for my car to get fixed if i mess it up" the other says "why would i buy a car like this if i dont plan to beat the hell out of it racing every now and again"

i understand but i always say cars are an expensive hobby so if your not willing to play at your own risk then sell your car and buy a priuis
Totally what we weren't saying. I don't beat the hell out of my car. Going to 6k rpms isn't going to hurt it. It was built for it. All I'd do is spend a little more money on gas and tires. I knew that when I was going to buy the car. Now when I put the wrong ******* oil into the engine and blow it, I'll be paying out the ******* for a new engine because I was a retard and ignorant about how to take care of my car so it could safely run at it's factory levels.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blowing an engine costs the same weather its from bad oil or from pushing it past its stock rated levels.

Fully bolted right now excluding cat back and running E85 wrapping it out to 7000 RPM'S on all stock internals .. waiting on the BW EFR solution.

Point being no need to blow the motor shove a rod through the block and then I'll need a new block possibly a new oil pan and who knows , if something comes apart and grenades you can have more than just a hole in the block and pan ..

ZDP is a compound in most synthetic oils, Royal Purple and other Oils put a larger concentration of it in the oil. This melts catalytic converters which some contain extremely expensive metals in them and the oil if it has too much of one thing in it can cause it to melt cat's ( a non existing issues for most running catless ) but the bigger issue with this is that the oil gets caked in the turbo creating heat issues and eventually a possible turbo failure.

More than one reason to not run un-specified oil.

Yes automakers do not rate some oils and accept them because the oils need to be within a certain requirement to to run safely on ALL vehicles across the board. These oils may exceed expectations in some areas but fail in other common areas creating a variable that they can't control..

I am sure some oils are actually better for certain engines than others that is a fact.

This is not saying that Royal purple doesn't work just as good in other engines but for a turbo application it isn't good ESPECIALLY the LNF .

The LSJ has a larger oil pan allowing the engine oil to cool more also so it probably isn't as bad but who knows that is just my guess..

Another theory is that you are changing the molecular make up in the oil it self and the surfaces that are being lubricated then change the scoring or wearing pattern with the new oil.

IE changing from running mobil 1 to another brand after running one brand for 50k miles then switching changes the molecular structure of the oil causing the parts to wear uneven etc because it cant bond to the old oil that's been caked on for miles and miles.

seafoam might be a good precaution but it isn't going to get it all out.

Last edited by PrincessTurbo; 04-24-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:40 PM

Why in the **** do you own a car?

Your opinion is not science.
Why the **** do you run your mouth and post stupid **** like this?

And to answer your question, 1 I need transportation to get to work, 2 I like cars so why not have one...lol

People like you make this forum look bad in everyway, coming in here to start a war
Old 04-24-2011, 08:58 PM

Why the **** do you run your mouth and post stupid **** like this?

And to answer your question, 1 I need transportation to get to work, 2 I like cars so why not have one...lol

People like you make this forum look bad in everyway, coming in here to start a war
Oh sorry I left out 'sports'.

and actually it's ignorant idiots like you spreading misinformation that make this place look bad. Oil isn't just oil, and that's one of the most retarded, ignorant and wreckless things I've ever seen said about cars.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:02 PM

Oh sorry I left out 'sports'.

and actually it's ignorant idiots like you spreading misinformation that make this place look bad. Oil isn't just oil, and that's one of the most retarded, ignorant and wreckless things I've ever seen said about cars.
Well if you read clearly...I said oil is oil IMO

Let me break that down for you In My Opinion

Were all not gonna think the same thing, I know that but to me Royal Purple is fine oil to me, I haven't had any problems with it

I used it on my 06 and now my 10, so far it's awesome
Old 04-24-2011, 09:07 PM

Well if you read clearly...I said oil is oil IMO

Let me break that down for you In My Opinion

Were all not gonna think the same thing, I know that but to me Royal Purple is fine oil to me, I haven't had any problems with it

I used it on my 06 and now my 10, so far it's awesome
and like I said, oil is not just oil and your opinion is not science. That's called being ignorant.

From all the reports I hear, RP isn't good for turbo applications. You have a 2010 so I assume relatively low mileage. Some problems aren't apparent right away. Problems occur down the road too.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:12 PM

and like I said, oil is not oil and your opinion is not science. That's called being ignorant.

From all the reports I hear, RP isn't good for turbo applications. You have a 2010 so I assume relatively low mileage. Some problems aren't apparent right away. Problems occur down the road too.
And your opinion is science? .....right

When my motor has a serious problem, blows up or whatever I will RUN! to you and say you are right I should have listened to you

But untill then I will continue to use RP oil
Old 04-24-2011, 09:26 PM

And your opinion is science? .....right

When my motor has a serious problem, blows up or whatever I will RUN! to you and say you are right I should have listened to you

But untill then I will continue to use RP oil
There's a difference between opinion and factual science. Again, you're being ignorant.

You're almost as dumb as a Supra fan boy I know that thinks his N/A automatic MK4 Supra is the fastest thing on the street because the fastest Supras in the world use 2 gear built automatics.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

Purple Royal is great, don't worry.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:37 PM

There's a difference between opinion and factual science. Again, you're being ignorant.

You're almost as dumb as a Supra fan boy I know that thinks his N/A automatic MK4 Supra is the fastest thing on the street because the fastest Supras in the world use 2 gear built automatics.
Yup I'am ignorant, damn you caught me

Your just showing that you are very immature starting a bickering war in a thread just asking what you think about RP oil

Not talk **** to Supercharged Guy...

It basically shows that you have nothing to contribute to this thread cause clearly you have never used RP oil your just going by he say she say **** you read on others forums and GOOGLE
Old 04-24-2011, 09:40 PM

Yup I'am ignorant, damn you caught me

Your just showing that you are very immature starting a bickering war in a thread just asking what you think about RP oil

Not talk **** to Supercharged Guy...

It basically shows that you have nothing to contribute to this thread cause clearly you have never used RP oil your just going by he say she say **** you read on others forums and GOOGLE
No, I am contributing something. I'm helping sort out your stupid comment. Seriously, oil is just oil? Everything you say after that is invalid. Forever.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:46 PM

No, I am contributing something. I'm helping sort out your stupid comment. Seriously, oil is just oil? Everything you say after that is invalid. Forever.
Okay once again, I'm willing to bet you have never used RP oil, so therefore your going to dog on something that you have never used

Your just going by GOOGLE and some other forums that say its bad...
Old 04-24-2011, 10:08 PM

Okay once again, I'm willing to bet you have never used RP oil, so therefore your going to dog on something that you have never used

Your just going by GOOGLE and some other forums that say its bad...
No, I'm going by factual information that came from testing. and saying to use RP isn't even the reason I said anything to you. Saying oil is just oil imo is why I think you're a dummy.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:16 PM

No, I'm going by factual information that came from testing. and saying to use RP isn't even the reason I said anything to you. Saying oil is just oil imo is why I think you're a dummy.
Hey think what you want man, I just think coming into a thread and starting a socalled war is just retarded on your part

Whether I said something completly stupid/retarded, whatever the case may be keep it to yourself or PM me
Old 04-24-2011, 10:27 PM

Hey think what you want man, I just think coming into a thread and starting a socalled war is just retarded on your part

Whether I said something completly stupid/retarded, whatever the case may be keep it to yourself or PM me
The problem with just PMing you is that some uninformed soul may read your comment and be like "Oh, I guess oil just is oil!" and be misguided into making a bad choice.

When I worked at a Petrocan retailer, one of the counter clerks ended up "helping" a relatively new trucker switch over to Petrocan oil. He was also 3 hours away from his hometown and had a slight oil leak and bought three 20 litre pails for the drive back so the mechanic could look at it. He topped his oil off that still had his old brand in it, same viscosity, and he ended up blowing the engine just as he got back to his town. Why? Because the different additives from the different brands ended up reacting and creating precipitates in his engine. The company willingly offered to pay for a new engine.

We ended up having three training courses teaching us about **** like that. Work 6am to 6 pm then go take a course for 5 hours. Fun stuff.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:37 PM

The problem with just PMing you is that some uninformed soul may read your comment and be like "Oh, I guess oil just is oil!" and be misguided into making a bad choice.

When I worked at a Petrocan retailer, one of the counter clerks ended up "helping" a relatively new trucker switch over to Petrocan oil. He was also 3 hours away from his hometown and had a slight oil leak and bought three 20 litre pails for the drive back so the mechanic could look at it. He topped his oil off that still had his old brand in it, same viscosity, and he ended up blowing the engine just as he got back to his town. Why? Because the different additives from the different brands ended up reacting and creating precipitates in his engine. The company willingly offered to pay for a new engine.

We ended up having three training courses teaching us about **** like that. Work 6am to 6 pm then go take a course for 5 hours. Fun stuff.
People use whatever oil they want, just the way it is, I don't think that using RP oil is making a bad decision which is what I'm guessing you ment by that

I understand you took a class about oil, that's great...but does nothing for me, yeah you may know a little about oil...great

But I just don't get you saying that RP oil is bad, I mean yes I'm sure you have read **** tons about oil, including RP, etc.

But you not using the oil and bashing on it just doesn't make sense to me...just sayin'

Quick Reply: Royal purple?