08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Royal purple?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercharged Guy
People use whatever oil they want, just the way it is, I don't think that using RP oil is making a bad decision which is what I'm guessing you ment by that

I understand you took a class about oil, that's great...but does nothing for me, yeah you may know a little about oil...great

But I just don't get you saying that RP oil is bad, I mean yes I'm sure you have read **** tons about oil, including RP, etc.

But you not using the oil and bashing on it just doesn't make sense to me...just sayin'
I never said RP is bad oil. I said I've read about it not being good for turbo applications. Doesn't mean it's bad for other applications.

Back to why this even started, you said oil is just oil. It isn't, and you were being ignorant about it.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Martel18SS
I never said RP is bad oil. I said I've read about it not being good for turbo applications. Doesn't mean it's bad for other applications.

Back to why this even started, you said oil is just oil. It isn't, and you were being ignorant about it.
Absolutely I was being ignorant, I really could careless to be completely honest...

Oil is just that...oil...IMO ofcourse....I have to state that apparently for some ignorant people

I guess you can take my socalled statement "oil is just oil" and run with it and do as you wish
Old 04-24-2011, 11:55 PM

okay guys enough... i have also took a class in oil. i am certified with penzoil(i forgot for what tho, i just have a certificate, lmao) but i took a class... i put RP in my supercharged mustang. but i saw that is had a picture of mobil 1 oil on the oil cap, so i wondered should i use mobil 1? or the RP i got sitting for months... RP IMO is better for high revving engines, less viscosity, and will put less strain on the engines... but thats what i thought, but i guess i am wrong. i will stick to the certified ones, most likley mobil 1 fuilly synetic because that is what is in my car atm

martel, you cant go bashing another guy for his opinion, he is not the only one who uses RP, and was unaware that he might or might not damage my car, it was not intentional

superchargedguy, you have to understand not all oil is designed the same way, and if it was, there would only really be 1 type of oil. but there isnt, there are hundreds of different types of oils, for hundreds of different applications.

this is a forum, we have to be friendly. no **** you **** him **** this **** that... you have to say you might think you are wrong, but explain to him his faults... you cant say no sir, your a complete idiot. be kind friendly. if you have a good attidute, more ppl will follow. but if you guys have a negative attitude, more ppl will also follow, and joining forums might not be such a pleasurable moment for me

sorry for the typos, i worked 2 14 hour shifts in a row
Old 04-25-2011, 12:10 AM

I love how everybody in this thread is at each others necks because they don't agree with their opinion OR their point is the correct one.

Reality is, if you believe anything you read on the internet you're just as retarded as the jackass who posted it

It says Mobil 1 on the cap, you can debate that it's because that's what GM wants you to put in because that's brand best suits the needs of the motor OR you can debate its because Mobil 1 paid the most amount of money to have their logo put on the filler cap. Either debate is valid, but in the end it doesn't matter because if you want engine warranty you need to put Mobil 1 in anyway.

On a side note, GM isn't the only one who has Mobil 1 on their high performance filler caps, so does Chrysler.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:31 AM

I don't think you two get it. There is scientific differences between oils and the way they work and he said IN HIS OPINION they are all the same. How the hell can you opinion-ate science?

I wasn't bashing his opinion about RP, I was bashing his wreckless generalization of oil.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:42 AM

I don't think you two get it. There is scientific differences between oils and the way they work and he said IN HIS OPINION they are all the same. How the hell can you opinion-ate science?
Because it is YOUR opinion on whether Royal Purple 5W30 is any better than Mobil 1 5W30... Since they don't release the recipes on how these oils go together it is mere OPINION.

What would would be science, would be the difference between 5W30 motor oil and 90W30 transmission oil.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't even bother man , I tried to explain exactly why it isn't the best for oil cooled turbos.

You tried your best.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by denlou
Because it is YOUR opinion on whether Royal Purple 5W30 is any better than Mobil 1 5W30... Since they don't release the recipes on how these oils go together it is mere OPINION.

What would would be science, would be the difference between 5W30 motor oil and 90W30 transmission oil.
LOL it's fact that is isn't good for oil fed turbos.

I know of one guy personally who caked his K04 with that **** already but wont admit it ...

I would feel like a douche for thinking its wonderful and then it does that to my stock turbo which is very tiny might I add.

I know of a few others that have to but wont come out the closet about it.

These are like the 5 failed turbos I've seen on all the 3 most popular sites. And the common variable was they all ran RP..

LOL opinions.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by denlou

I never stated my opinion on which I think is better.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:46 PM

and i appreciated the help. NO RP in my car. just gonna stick with mobil 1. thanks everyone.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Supercharged Guy
Absolutely I was being ignorant, I really could careless to be completely honest...

Oil is just that...oil...IMO ofcourse....I have to state that apparently for some ignorant people

I guess you can take my socalled statement "oil is just oil" and run with it and do as you wish
dude your a ******* tool. hes saying oil isn't oil and its NOT a matter of opinion. ever. end of story. thats truely ignorant. and advice that could potentially destroy someones engine. he's trying to prevent that. you have had the reason behind people saying oil is oil is a stupid ******* thing to say THROWN in your face but your convinced its a matter of opinion. you think GM ran those test for the hell of it? are you ******* stupid? nvm obviously you are, and stubborn. your a waste of a username.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by the_cobalt_kid
dude your a ******* tool. hes saying oil isn't oil and its NOT a matter of opinion. ever. end of story. thats truely ignorant. and advice that could potentially destroy someones engine. he's trying to prevent that. you have had the reason behind people saying oil is oil is a stupid ******* thing to say THROWN in your face but your convinced its a matter of opinion. you think GM ran those test for the hell of it? are you ******* stupid? nvm obviously you are, and stubborn. your a waste of a username.
............ That's all I got outta that so apparently yes I'am very stupid

Like I said before in my very first post, "oil is oil" IMO (In My Opinion) now what he does with that is totally up to him

I use RP oil in my car I have never ran into any problems whatsoever and will continue to untill I get into problems with using it

Obviously your the tool to be arguing with me over oil....seriously I mean all the kid wants to know is about RP oil

Not to have people bitching back and forth about it and not really answering his question

That's it if he likes what I put great if he doesn't then great....it's a forum people say what they want whether it's good, bad or retarded

It's just the way it is, obviously you have nothing to contrbute to this thread if your in here just to jump on my *****
Old 04-25-2011, 02:49 PM

GM says use MOBILE 1 5w30 full synthetic. so use it. end of story /thread.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:52 PM

He can use whatever he want's, I'm not telling him that he has to use RP oil

I'm just saying that I run that and I have no problems...that's all
Old 04-25-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by the_cobalt_kid
GM says use MOBILE 1 5w30 full synthetic. so use it. end of story /thread.
To be technical gm also says to keep your car stock... But nobody follows that advice either, haha
Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by sick_tight
To be technical gm also says to keep your car stock... But nobody follows that advice either, haha
lol This is very true
Old 04-25-2011, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by sick_tight
Actually they say buy GMS1.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:00 AM

If you want to run Royal Purple then do it, but the fact that a company with a collective engineering mind much smarter than yours decided that this car needs Mobil 1 would have less importance over what you read on the internet baffles me.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:36 AM

i must admit i have ran royal purple since the first oil change... have alot of power on the car and have never had a problem but i never knew it didnt meet the gm standards. this is interesting... it always seem to run very smooth and be able to keep the motor running smooth and strong. but i guess if the dealership says that mobil 1 is what is needed then why not? mobil 1 is still a very good oil! every one who questions this just do whats best for the car but if you feel your opinion is what counts then by all means not everyone is going to agree on one thing.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 AM

Unfortunately when discussing oil there are many opinions and they end up being just that, opinions, and not based on fact or real scientific evidence. Some people like to quote tests that one manufacturer performed but that is hardly independent or un-biased. Often these "tests" sponsored by the oil manufacturer/blenders aren't always applicable to an automotive application in an engine or take into consideration all aspects of what an oil needs to do an in an engine. Some tests like metal-on-metal bars and ball bearing tests you could use bleach instead of the best synthetic motor oil and it will show less wear with the bleach, but would you want to run that in your engine? Lubrication is only one aspect and there are other factors that make an oil a good choice like how it stands up to heat, the additive package and how well it keeps everything clean and so on.

To make it very simple the only oil you should be using in your car is one meeting GM's GM4718M standard if you're concerned about warranty. Royal Purple doesn't and I'm personally not a fan of it anyway for daily driver use due to how it shears down under extreme heat like what can be found in high specific output, turbocharged engine. I'm also not a big fan of M1 in the 5w30 viscosity as it shears down towards end of life to around a 20-weight oil. Now if you want to try a different oil you should do your own research to formulate your own opinion and I'd suggest heading over the oil forums and do some reading to better understand characteristics of motor oil and how it is tested. You'll find a lot of opinions over there as well but if you can read through them you'll also find a lot of independent used oil analysis reports to show how certain oils are doing in certain engine under certain driving conditions.

There should be some Ecotec and LNF owners over there and once you find oil that you think will work well for you at least you'll have some scientific facts to back up why you think a particular oil is a good choice. Before switching over to something else send a sample in of what you're currently running to an independent testing lab such as Blackstone to get a baseline. Then switch over to the oil you think will be a good match for engine and your driving style and conditions, then send a sample in at say 3-5k miles and if testing shows safe for continued use go to about the same mileage as on your old oil and send another sample in for comparison. Even better would be to have a couple tests done on both oils to rule out sample variation and other factors that might skew the results.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:28 PM

I found a coupon for pepboys - 5qts of pennzoil platinum, and a K&N oil filter, for $38.

Gonna go get it today, but has anyone seen a problem in switching from M1 to PP, for example different additives possibly interfering with each other?

Also, does K&N make a good oil filter?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by brainchasm
I found a coupon for pepboys - 5qts of pennzoil platinum, and a K&N oil filter, for $38.

Gonna go get it today, but has anyone seen a problem in switching from M1 to PP, for example different additives possibly interfering with each other?

Also, does K&N make a good oil filter?
ohhh man!! you should not have asked!!! now there is going to be another war about K&N filter and how it will void your warranty!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by damastah
ohhh man!! you should not have asked!!! now there is going to be another war about K&N filter and how it will void your warranty!!!
Is ok, just got the oil and filter, here's how it went:

"Ok, so I got this coupon for PP oil and a K&N filter for $38, you've got the oil, do you have the filter?"

"Nope, special order only."

"Ok, no problem...hey, I see you have 5qts of Mobil-1 synthetic with a Mobil-1 filter for for $30 - here's the oil, got the filter?"

"Nope, we don't stock that one - there isn't even a price listed."

"Hmmm...well Mr. Pep Boys man, let's make a deal."

"???"

"I buy the Mobil-1, you ring any old Mobile-1 filter of equivalent price, but hand me the ACDelco filter that you do have, do a little inventory editing, and I get my deal, you get a sale, and we're both happy."

"Done!"

So, 5qts of the proper oil, the truly proper filter, for $30+tax.

Works for me!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by brainchasm
Is ok, just got the oil and filter, here's how it went:

"Ok, so I got this coupon for PP oil and a K&N filter for $38, you've got the oil, do you have the filter?"

"Nope, special order only."

"Ok, no problem...hey, I see you have 5qts of Mobil-1 synthetic with a Mobil-1 filter for for $30 - here's the oil, got the filter?"

"Nope, we don't stock that one - there isn't even a price listed."

"Hmmm...well Mr. Pep Boys man, let's make a deal."

"???"

"I buy the Mobil-1, you ring any old Mobile-1 filter of equivalent price, but hand me the ACDelco filter that you do have, do a little inventory editing, and I get my deal, you get a sale, and we're both happy."

"Done!"

So, 5qts of the proper oil, the truly proper filter, for $30+tax.

Works for me!
I like this! Win.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 PM

So I guess, when it's all said and done... LNF engineers decided that Mobil 1 5-30 synthetic would go in their creation based on their 'opinion'. Or maybe they all just got high and spun a bottle in the middle of 6 oil choices and it landed on Mobil 1.

Oh, and the fact that GM probably has a contract with them.

As for you guys who run RP... if you ever, EVER have an internal engine failure... regardless of the reason, you're going to have some explaining to do.

Quick Reply: Royal purple?