08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Royal purple?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In all honesty guys: You are protected under the Moss-Magnuson act to use whatever FULL-SYNTHETIC oil you want. Obviously you must be justified in your use of the oil and must use FULL SYNTHETIC. But you are protected under the act to use your choice of oil.

The reason that some oils meet certain manufacturers specifications and others do not, is that the OIL MANUFACTURER must pay the CAR manufacturer for the rights to have that certification. AMSOIL is not a GM certified oil because AMSOIL does not want to continuously pay a manufacturer for the test and certification. That is a company specific decision.

Mobil 1 has a contract with GM. They have paid GM lots and lots of money to have their logo placed on the oil cap, and for gm to spout their name everywhere as THE oil of choice. Does that make it a bad oil? hell no. Mobil 1 is consistantly one of the best performing oils for its price. Is it THE best? at some things maybe, at others maybe not, but at that point its kind of splitting hairs.

Concencus: Think about your driving style, how agressive you are, the kind of environment you are subjecting your oil to, and research. research. research. Because if the warranty claims personelle DOES come back and ask why you were using said oil, you need to be able to support your decision with more than a "i saw a commercial that said it adds 2hp"
Old 04-28-2011, 05:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grishbok
In all honesty guys: You are protected under the Moss-Magnuson act to use whatever FULL-SYNTHETIC oil you want. Obviously you must be justified in your use of the oil and must use FULL SYNTHETIC. But you are protected under the act to use your choice of oil.

The reason that some oils meet certain manufacturers specifications and others do not, is that the OIL MANUFACTURER must pay the CAR manufacturer for the rights to have that certification. AMSOIL is not a GM certified oil because AMSOIL does not want to continuously pay a manufacturer for the test and certification. That is a company specific decision.
No, if the manufacturer has a specification that you decide not to follow (i.e. GM4718M) and you had the one-in-a-million actual oil related failure you'd be up the proverbial creek without a paddle even as far as Moss-Magnuson (and that warranty act is nice and all but even when it is on your side it is still up to you to fight the legal battle). You can run any full synthetic you want in the LNF as long as it is a 5w30 that meets GM4718M.

Would Amsoil and some other synthetic oils meet that standard if the oil producer tested them? Possibly, although you can't say for certain that all synthetics would. There are some pretty stringent requirements such as the additive package having to last for the extended drain interval these cars run and not every synthetic would pass. Also some formulations have different additive packages that won't pass manufacturer's emission requirements as they can degrade the catalytic converter over the long-term and GM has to warranty emission components for longer lengths of time now, up to 15 years or 150k miles for PZEV certified vehicles for example.

The majority of owners will have no issues with running Mobil 1 5w30 in their cars. I'd advise everyone to do their own research, but I feel there are better oils on the market and some of them meet GM4718M if you are concerned about warranty. If you're not there may be even better choices that independent testing can verify as keeping the engine internals cleaner and produce less wear, but there is a chance they might come at a cost of having to run a shorter drain intervals, theoretically reduces emission component life (i.e. catalytic converter), increased risk for intake deposits, etc.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by blackbird
No, if the manufacturer has a specification that you decide not to follow (i.e. GM4718M) and you had the one-in-a-million actual oil related failure you'd be up the proverbial creek without a paddle even as far as Moss-Magnuson (and that warranty act is nice and all but even when it is on your side it is still up to you to fight the legal battle). You can run any full synthetic you want in the LNF as long as it is a 5w30 that meets GM4718M.

Would Amsoil and some other synthetic oils meet that standard if the oil producer tested them? Possibly, although you can't say for certain that all synthetics would. There are some pretty stringent requirements such as the additive package having to last for the extended drain interval these cars run and not every synthetic would pass. Also some formulations have different additive packages that won't pass manufacturer's emission requirements as they can degrade the catalytic converter over the long-term and GM has to warranty emission components for longer lengths of time now, up to 15 years or 150k miles for PZEV certified vehicles for example.

The majority of owners will have no issues with running Mobil 1 5w30 in their cars. I'd advise everyone to do their own research, but I feel there are better oils on the market and some of them meet GM4718M if you are concerned about warranty. If you're not there may be even better choices that independent testing can verify as keeping the engine internals cleaner and produce less wear, but there is a chance they might come at a cost of having to run a shorter drain intervals, theoretically reduces emission component life (i.e. catalytic converter), increased risk for intake deposits, etc.
were saying the same thing, just different words.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Hell as of now I'm sticking to DexOs 2 for oil requirments with GM.

GM dexos Licensed Products

This is for all their 2011 vehicles. Pretty much requires synthetic for all vehicles.

Not saying i agree with the spec, but at least i know my warranty is covered on my GM vehicles.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Hell as of now I'm sticking to DexOs 2 for oil requirments with GM.

GM dexos Licensed Products

This is for all their 2011 vehicles. Pretty much requires synthetic for all vehicles.

Not saying i agree with the spec, but at least i know my warranty is covered on my GM vehicles.
So you have a diesel in the cobalt??

I know the DexOs 1 is for gasoline engines but didn't know the 2 was to...
Old 04-28-2011, 10:29 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercharged Guy
So you have a diesel in the cobalt??

I know the DexOs 1 is for gasoline engines but didn't know the 2 was to...
Sorry i mistyped.

On a side note, here was my oil analysis with Amsoil

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...alysis-225197/

That was with 8k miles
Old 04-28-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Sorry i mistyped.

On a side note, here was my oil analysis with Amsoil

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...alysis-225197/
No it's cool, I just didn't know that's all