08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Thoughts on the 2010 Cobalt SS ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thoughts on the 2010 Cobalt SS ?

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/5489256079.html

Hey everyone. Im going to look at this on Saturday. Was wondering what you all thought. The owner might actually be on here. Who knows ! Let me know what Ya think (: thanks.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The side pipe, and the "no test drives without cash" turned me off pretty hard.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:02 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by edacsac
The side pipe, and the "no test drives without cash" turned me off pretty hard.
No offense but I would never let anyone test drive without having cash either. You apparently have never had someone who just wanted to run the cramp out of your car with no intention of buying it, want to take it for a drive. There are a bunch out there.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
No offense but I would never let anyone test drive without having cash either. You apparently have never had someone who just wanted to run the cramp out of your car with no intention of buying it, want to take it for a drive. There are a bunch out there.
Yeah. Which I understand completely. I wouldn't want someone test driving with no intention of buying. Im not sure if im feeling the side pipe. But its growing on me. (:
Old 03-17-2016, 08:23 AM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
I didn't let anyone test drive my LSJ without cash in my hand.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the one you posted is a little "riced out" for my taste.
Painted valve cover and fuse box cover.... to each their own i guess.
aftermarket headlights... im guessing they're worst than stock but who knows, maybe i'm wrong.
side exhaust, kinda riced out, mine has a catless downpipe and no muffler and that's already borderline annoying cause i hear it on the left side of the car, having a side exhaust RIGHT BY YOUR EAR, it's only a matter of time before that gets annoying, also, make sure it still has the stock exhaust resonator, otherwise im fairly sure it will drone.
Forged bypass valve.... you'll notice most EXPERIENCED people that actually understand engine control will tell you the stock one is fine. (i'm sure i'll get flamed for this one).

All that aside, i'd definitely consider it, just make sure it was maintained well, and not damaged by someone that doesn't understand these cars, like a bad tune. the price is pretty decent, good luck.

Since i live in michigan i checked craigslist and came accross this:
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5484553024.html

from the ad, i think this one looks better.

Last edited by ForceFedDork; 03-17-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ForceFedDork
aftermarket headlights... im guessing they're worst than stock but who knows, maybe i'm wrong.
side exhaust, kinda riced out, mine has a catless downpipe and no muffler and that's already borderline annoying cause i hear it on the left side of the car, having a side exhaust RIGHT BY YOUR EAR, it's only a matter of time before that gets annoying, also, make sure it still has the stock exhaust resonator, otherwise im fairly sure it will drone.
Forged bypass valve.... you'll notice most EXPERIENCED people that actually understand engine control will tell you the stock one is fine. (i'm sure i'll get flamed for this one).

All that aside, i'd definitely consider it, just make sure it was maintained well, and not damaged by someone that doesn't understand these cars, like a bad tune. the price is pretty decent, good luck.

Agreed, but DAMN that sedan with 36k for 10,000? Good deal
Old 03-17-2016, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
I would go for the sedan to be honest
Old 03-17-2016, 10:40 AM

EDIT: the 2 door you posted does NOT have the limited slip differential, the G85 (i think) option which is very desireable, to me at least.
ahh. Okay. What makes you think it doesn't have a LSD? And I've been looking into that one you posted as well. However i just really dislike the 4 door taillights. And I'll probably get bashed on. But how "soccer mom" the sedan looks.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

I honetly like the 4 Doors for the function, my next car for sure will be a sedan, the rear isn't the best but I like it either way, and the sleeper status that it gives you
Old 03-17-2016, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Snail_SS
I honetly like the 4 Doors for the function, my next car for sure will be a sedan, the rear isn't the best but I like it either way, and the sleeper status that it gives you
I do like the sleeper aspect. I would want to lower it. And do some other things that I wouldn't be able to afford with insurance and a payment. Lol but i like how low the mileage is. It would last much longer. So to speak.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Yup and we'll it all depends how low you really want to go, ottp springs are pretty inexpensive and offer a really good drop
Old 03-17-2016, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Alex S
ahh. Okay. What makes you think it doesn't have a LSD? And I've been looking into that one you posted as well. However i just really dislike the 4 door taillights. And I'll probably get bashed on. But how "soccer mom" the sedan looks.
The preference for a 4 door, I understand it is a style thing, i prefer the 2 door as well, however on this website the 4 door is desirable since it's considered "rare". But again, your preference.

Anyone that knows these cars will not call it a "soccer mom". with a tune, these are VERY fast for a 4 cylinder. I only have a downpipe, even stock airbox, and a very mild, safe tune that i did myself, and I will confidently line up next to an LS1 camaro/trans am/ c5 corvette. I own a C5 corvette and my cobalt is more fun to drive, and faster (it's sad really), too bad the cobalt is FWD.

Last edited by ForceFedDork; 03-17-2016 at 12:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Snail_SS (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 11:27 AM

you talk about "affording" mods.

Let me give you an unsolicited piece of advice that i'm sure you wont listen too. If cash is tight, do not put every penny you own in a car, that is a bad move. get yourself a cheap reliable car (like a civic or a base cobalt) and wait until you are a little more financially stable. These cars are cheap to fix (if you fix them yourself) and relatively reliable, but it's a high output engine, it will need maintenance and wear items.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:30 AM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

Let me give you an unsolicited piece of advice that i'm sure you wont listen too. If cash is tight, do not put every penny you own in a car, that is a bad move. get yourself a cheap reliable car (like a civic or a base cobalt) and wait until you are a little more financially stable. These cars are cheap to fix (if you fix them yourself) and relatively reliable, but it's a high output engine, it will need maintenance and wear items.
Cheap, meh.
Cheaper than other cars in its class/power level.

Agree though.
If you dont have the cost of an engine in your savings (about $2500 self installed) then move on.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by blueLNFftw
Cheap, meh.
Cheaper than other cars in its class/power level.

Agree though.
If you dont have the cost of an engine in your savings (about $2500 self installed) then move on.
Meaning the engine would go bad soon ?
Old 03-17-2016, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

He means just in case it goes bad, it shouldn't have a problem but you gotta have the means to fix the car incase something does happen
Old 03-17-2016, 11:57 AM

I wouldn't be putting every penny. I mean. 10k is a lot. Lol. But it's not like I wouldn't be able to do maintenance. Along with the engine thing. I wouldn't have 2500 left over. Or that much just sitting around right away. Is that really something that would need to be thought about soon after buying ?
Old 03-17-2016, 12:17 PM

I would go for the sedan to be honest
The guy with the sedan says it doesn't have the lsd. But he sent me more pictures. And it is honestly growing on me.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
The guy with the sedan says it doesn't have the lsd. But he sent me more pictures. And it is honestly growing on me.
Sedan looks better taken care of for sure
Old 03-17-2016, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Well my car has lsd or atleast has the code, I honestly don't know if I would feel the difference if it didn't come with it, when I got my car that was the least of my worries to be honest. Also look for some ss sedans pics I think they look really good once they are fixed up a bit
Old 03-17-2016, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Supercharged06SS
Sedan looks better taken care of for sure
Yeah. The original pictures did it no justice. The deep blue color would look great with white rims 😁 especially since it has white seats.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member

Seats are more on the grey side that white tho

White wheels you say https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/feat...thread-320344/
Old 03-17-2016, 12:58 PM

Seats are more on the grey side that white tho

White wheels you say https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/feat...thread-320344/
Yeah. I guess they are more on the silver/grey side. Still nice. And oh my sweet Jesus. If I buy that sedan. That thing is looking identical to that ! It is beautiful !!! Also. May be a dumb question. But does the lsd help with how fast it would accelerate. Or just providing extra traction ?
Old 03-17-2016, 03:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Also. May be a dumb question. But does the lsd help with how fast it would accelerate. Or just providing extra traction ?
It does both. With more traction, you can lay down more power. At stock power levels, you shouldn't really need LSD. Though, with even just a tune, you'll really appreciate not having an open differential.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the 2010 Cobalt SS ?