08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Weak battery causes misfires!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 02:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weak battery causes misfires!

The sensitivity of the LNF never ceases to surprise! I had a baffling misfire issue that would sometimes manifest missing as the revs climbed and/or a full-on all cylinder misfire as it neared redline that would disappear after driving the car 15-20 mins; I attributed it to the car being finicky on e85 tune until oil was up to temp, but then it started happening after I drove the car more than the aforementioned interval.

NO CODES even with the mother of all misfires that shook the car so freakin hard that it shut the engine off!!!!

I purchased a coil pack and switched it around to no avail, it couldn't be the o2 sensor as I just replaced, the plugs looked good, cleaned the MAF and MAP, etc...no fixy. I became indifferent to the misfires and it became normal that sometimes it would pull nice, other times riddled with misfires....

Then I read a thread last night that an LNF owner got rid of misfires with a new battery. It fit that the battery could be weak and would charge with driving and it happened more often when cold, why not give it a shot......IT FIXED THE FREAKIN MISFIRES!!!!!!!! THANK GOD!!!!!

Funny thing there was no indication battery was weak: car fired up without a problem, only thing i can recall slight dimming of gauge lights when fan radiator fan kicked on.

Added bonus, my steering started to feel as tires were in grooves when making small steering corrections off center as motor was not getting enough juice, now steering feel is much better!

Last edited by Soofisahab; 03-11-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:50 AM

good to know cause my batteries **** haha
Old 03-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
My stock batt was **** to. Sometimes my gauges went crazy, I'd leave the radio on for 10 minutes and it be dead. Got optima yellow top and never looked back
Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 06 lsj did the same thing while costing at crusing speeds out of all things. never under wot though. Changed the battery and the misfires went away and never came back.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Soofisahab
The sensitivity of the LNF never ceases to surprise! I had a baffling misfire issue that would sometimes manifest missing as the revs climbed and/or a full-on all cylinder misfire as it neared redline that would disappear after driving the car 15-20 mins; I attributed it to the car being finicky on e85 tune until oil was up to temp, but then it started happening after I drove the car more than the aforementioned interval.

NO CODES even with the mother of all misfires that shook the car so freakin hard that it shut the engine off!!!!

I purchased a coil pack and switched it around to no avail, it couldn't be the o2 sensor as I just replaced, the plugs looked good, cleaned the MAF and MAP, etc...no fixy. I became indifferent to the misfires and it became normal that sometimes it would pull nice, other times riddled with misfires....

Then I read a thread last night that an LNF owner got rid of misfires with a new battery. It fit that the battery could be weak and would charge with driving and it happened more often when cold, why not give it a shot......IT FIXED THE FREAKIN MISFIRES!!!!!!!! THANK GOD!!!!!

Funny thing there was no indication battery was weak: car fired up without a problem, only thing i can recall slight dimming of gauge lights when fan radiator fan kicked on.

Added bonus, my steering started to feel as tires were in grooves when making small steering corrections off center as motor was not getting enough juice, now steering feel is much better!
i always thought that the steering corrections were from the cracks in the cement roads. but maybe it was my battery.

i have saw 2 misfires on my balt from a cold start,this was right before i stored mine for the winter. since then i have changed the battery (old one took a **** on me) so i wonder if thats where my missfires would be coming from..?

atleast you got the problem fixed OP!