2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

CIA Boost Tubing Review (HHR SS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CIA Boost Tubing Review (HHR SS)

Today I went up to Clear Image Automotive for a test fitting of their boost tubing on my HHR SS. Before I go into it, my HHR has the GMPP Stage 1 kit.

With that said, Dan, Beth and Todd are a pleasure to deal with. Todd worked on my car most of the time, there was a lot of trial and error with the cold side -- GM made a minor change and issued a technical bulletin sometime in '08 -- but after a few hours, it was installed and running.

The hot side was quick and easy to install, and should only take roughly an hour and a half or so. So if you want to do boost tubing, I'd suggest just doing the hot side, as that benefits the most, according to Dan (they did air flow tests, the cold side only was 1CFM more with new piping, bug the biggest pain in the ass to install).

Now as for the boost tubing, I love it. It isn't as insulated as the stock tubing so the engine doesn't sound as wimpy anymore. The engine now has a nice little growl on it when you get on the throttle. Power delivery with the stage 1 kit is also smoother than with the stock tubing. With the stock tubing, the power would just surge on, whereas the new boost tubing smooths things out, yet i can still hit 20psi+.

Now onto the negative. The Stage 1 kit isn't exactly compatible with the standard configuration and requires a bigger hole for the TMAP sensor on the cold side, and only requires one screw hole. So if anyone plans on getting Stage 1, I'd suggest getting it installed first and then ordering the new charge piping, and to make note of it when ordering it first.

Other than that, it all works well, and I'd like to reiterate once again, save the money and trouble and just get new boost tubing on the hot side (the tube you can see from the top), the cold side is just a big pain in the ass with very little gains.

Overall, it was worth the money and I love it, next up is a downpipe and catback from Clear Image. Dan is a great person to deal with and will go out of his way to help you out, and he's very meticulous with everything. Beth is also really nice and helpful too .

And onto the pictures --

I'll try to get a video/audio clip of the engine sometime this weekend.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:31 PM

looks like CIA did a damn good install i think im gonna be going with them from now on
Old 03-13-2009, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by tuanies
tubing smooths things out, yet i can still hit 20psi+.
One question if you dont mind. Why are you only seeing 20psi? I helped install the stage kit on a friend of mines HHR SS and he is seeing 25 most of the time playing around. And if he gets on it hard, through the top of 3rd it goes up to 28psi.

He has no other mods installed. I told him he needed the air tubes but he doesn't have the money yet for them.

Piping looks great!!

Last edited by 5hizn1t; 03-13-2009 at 11:39 PM. Reason: added last line
Old 03-14-2009, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by 5hizn1t
One question if you dont mind. Why are you only seeing 20psi? I helped install the stage kit on a friend of mines HHR SS and he is seeing 25 most of the time playing around. And if he gets on it hard, through the top of 3rd it goes up to 28psi.

He has no other mods installed. I told him he needed the air tubes but he doesn't have the money yet for them.

Piping looks great!!
Different climate/altitude I suppose. It's been around 30-50F around here lately in WA.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah depending on where you are you will see diff boost. Im in chicago and see about 21 to 23 most of the time whe its warm and when its cold like now i see about 18
Old 03-14-2009, 10:52 AM

Looks good, have you got any dyno numbers, just wondering what the stage kit is going to put to the wheels. I know this was on the hhr but should be pretty close numbers to the cobalt.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:58 AM

Not yet, going to see if I can get on a dyno today.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:30 PM

I would like to chime in because I am well aware of this install.... I have an 08 Cobalt SS/TC and the CIA charge piping. Installing the hot side was extremely easy. I had mine installed in about an hour. However, the cold side is a different story. Right now I still have the factory cold side on my car. Unfortunately the pipe would not line up at all. In conversations with Dan yesterday, he mentioned the same problems with the 08 HHR. Basically the change in the pipe routing in 08 was due to rubbing issues...it looks like they added about 3/4 to 1" of of length going from the throttle body to the sensor (to go around the air compressor). Unfortunately, the CIA piping is sized for the smaller routing length. Long story short, if you are planning on ordering CIA charge piping, please let them know your build date... Dan is planning on making this right and has said that he is currently bending a new piece for my situation (to be powdercoated Monday)...

Although I am upset over this situation, I don't think Dan is to blame. After all, I didn't realize that GM had changed the specs and neither did he. If you have issues lining up your cold side, just stop...put back on the stock piping, and call CIA...chances are you may be looking at having to use a slightly modified piece... Dan seems to be more than willing to make this right for everyone....
Old 03-14-2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nakaiya21
I would like to chime in because I am well aware of this install.... I have an 08 Cobalt SS/TC and the CIA charge piping. Installing the hot side was extremely easy. I had mine installed in about an hour. However, the cold side is a different story. Right now I still have the factory cold side on my car. Unfortunately the pipe would not line up at all. In conversations with Dan yesterday, he mentioned the same problems with the 08 HHR. Basically the change in the pipe routing in 08 was due to rubbing issues...it looks like they added about 3/4 to 1" of of length going from the throttle body to the sensor (to go around the air compressor). Unfortunately, the CIA piping is sized for the smaller routing length. Long story short, if you are planning on ordering CIA charge piping, please let them know your build date... Dan is planning on making this right and has said that he is currently bending a new piece for my situation (to be powdercoated Monday)...

Although I am upset over this situation, I don't think Dan is to blame. After all, I didn't realize that GM had changed the specs and neither did he. If you have issues lining up your cold side, just stop...put back on the stock piping, and call CIA...chances are you may be looking at having to use a slightly modified piece... Dan seems to be more than willing to make this right for everyone....
Were you the person he was on the phone with yesterday? I left him my cold side piping to fabricate a new pipe after, so he'll set you straight . Dan's a good guy.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:42 PM

Yep...that would be me... I appreciate you leaving it behind. I would send him mine, but I sort of need the car...

Yesterday was definitely a crap shoot...but I can certainly appreciate the way in which Dan is willing to stand behind his products... I do not regret this purchase and I enjoy working with Dan....
Old 03-14-2009, 12:43 PM

Looks nice
Old 03-14-2009, 12:46 PM

I didn't have too much trouble putting on the cold side pipe. I got mine from Dejon it was a bit tight but it sits great now
Old 03-14-2009, 01:15 PM

But do you have an '08 or '09?
Old 03-14-2009, 01:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the Stage 1 TMAP info. That's good information to know. I would hope the aftermarket companies pick up on the differences too so that they'll offer a separate version or revision for the Stage 1 crowd. It seems there's a large Cobalt crowd waiting for the Stage 1 too and this could effect their upgrade decisions or order of mods.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tuanies
But do you have an '08 or '09?
Good question. I'm assuming (yea I know what that means) the problem is on the HHR. Does this affect the 08 & 09 Cobalts also?? And what about the comments on the new TMAP sensors? Can we all expect a problem when installing the turbo upgrade? Just bought and paid fpr my stuff yesterday. I don't like surprises. That's why I don't change diapers.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:12 PM

08 sorry
Old 03-14-2009, 02:12 PM

y havent u tried gettin a intake made?
Old 03-14-2009, 02:24 PM

Maybe this is all about the new "intake" that's coming with the upgrade for the Cobalts?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by buellfooll
Good question. I'm assuming (yea I know what that means) the problem is on the HHR. Does this affect the 08 & 09 Cobalts also?? And what about the comments on the new TMAP sensors? Can we all expect a problem when installing the turbo upgrade? Just bought and paid fpr my stuff yesterday. I don't like surprises. That's why I don't change diapers.
It was a mid-year '08 issue, some Cobalts have the same problems, but Dan is working on it.

For the new TMAP sensors, I'd suggest getting stage 1 installed before ordering any new boost tubing, and when you do order it, make note to tell Beth/Dan that you have Stage 1 first, so they can have the tube made to accommodate the Bosch sensors.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:48 PM

They designed the kit on my car which was made in the first month of production so i am not sure why it is not fitting on some but it of course was an easy install on mine, Dan and i working this out, it will all be good no worries
Old 03-14-2009, 03:57 PM

Just to give you guys an idea of when the change occurred... Mine was built in May 08...and has the different piping route...
Old 03-14-2009, 03:59 PM

I just checked and what is really odd is that there is only one part number for the cold side pipe, really odd....
Old 03-14-2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cobaltss/TC
I just checked and what is really odd is that there is only one part number for the cold side pipe, really odd....
If the problem is only 3/4" to 1" maybe they made it up in the rubber connectors??
Old 03-14-2009, 04:15 PM

been there...tried that...it appears that the extension is after the elbow from the throttle body and before the sensor... extending the couplers may make it fit, but then your piece will end up sitting diagonally and your couplers will end up being flexed in an off alignment...I think it will work initially, but in the long term you may have failure/rubbing issues... There is a solution in the works and it will be taken care of...it is still a good idea that if you are or have ordered your boost tubing, to let CIA know your build date...
Old 03-14-2009, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nakaiya21
been there...tried that...it appears that the extension is after the elbow from the throttle body and before the sensor... extending the couplers may make it fit, but then your piece will end up sitting diagonally and your couplers will end up being flexed in an off alignment...I think it will work initially, but in the long term you may have failure/rubbing issues... There is a solution in the works and it will be taken care of...it is still a good idea that if you are or have ordered your boost tubing, to let CIA know your build date...
I have an 09 that was still warm from the factory when I took delivery 10/11/08. I was told it was the first sedan SS delivered in Florida. Thanks for the heads up though. I WILL talk with Beth Monday AM.

Quick Reply: CIA Boost Tubing Review (HHR SS)