2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

CIA Boost Tubing Review (HHR SS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nakaiya21
Just to give you guys an idea of when the change occurred... Mine was built in May 08...and has the different piping route...
Same with mine, May'08 build
Old 03-14-2009, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the great write-up and support. Yes, yesterday was a trying day. It's always fun to find out GM has made a change after bending 18 sets of tubing. NOT!!!

What I want to do is compare the stock cold side Tuan left with me yesterday, to the stock cold side from Daniel's car. We built our cold side to duplicate the factory part from Daniels car. What is interesting is the stock part from Tuan's car is longer and the rotation is different by roughly 5 degrees. I'm glad we fell behind yesterday with the install. otherwise I would have shipped another four sets of boost tubing out. I am re-designing the cold side but we will end up with two versions of the same part. Depending on when GM made the change, will dictate which cold side pipe we include.

As for the Stage I kit with the Bosch sensor, we just need to know if the customer has the kit installed or plans to. Not a big deal.

Anyways, this is how we learn... Blood, sweat and tears, and......

Old 03-14-2009, 11:53 PM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Now if we plan to use the "stg 1" censors that have not been released will the stock censor fit in the cold side tubing until we can get our hands on the kit? Do you just need to shave a little material out of the censor hole with a dremel or is more complicated than that?
Old 03-15-2009, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW!! That is crazy! But seriously.... I WANT TO HEAR A VID!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by RBC
Now if we plan to use the "stg 1" censors that have not been released will the stock censor fit in the cold side tubing until we can get our hands on the kit? Do you just need to shave a little material out of the censor hole with a dremel or is more complicated than that?
The hole needs to be enlarged, the sensor rotated and one of the screw holes need to be plugged up.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by tuanies
The hole needs to be enlarged, the sensor rotated and one of the screw holes need to be plugged up.
Exactly. Here's the issue: if you have NOT done the GM stage kit, but you order the boost tubing for the GM stage kit, you will NOT be able to use your factory sensor. The Bosch sensor comes with a larger O-ring than the factory sensor. We size the hole in the boost tube to allow a tight fit with the stock sensor. If we over-size the hole in anticipation of the Bosch sensor, there may be a possibility of un-metered air leaking into the tube.

So, here's a choice or plan for you guys thinking about going with the GM kit.

Order your boost tubing and GM kit at the same time and do the install at the same time.
Or, order your boost tubing specific for the GM kit but only install the hot side until you have the GM kit.
Or, order the hot side boost tubing only and save yourself the aggrevation of swapping the cold side as it really isn't very restrictive anyways and is not the side prone to cracking.

Last edited by ClearImageAuto Dan; 03-15-2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-15-2009, 06:40 PM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ClearImageAuto Dan
Exactly. Here's the issue: if you have NOT done the GM stage kit, but you order the boost tubing for the GM stage kit, you will NOT be able to use your factory sensor. The Bosch sensor comes with a larger O-ring than the factory sensor. We size the hold in the boost tube to allow a tight fit with the stock sensor. If we over-size the hole in anticipation of the Bosch sensor, there may be a possibility of un-metered air leaking into the tube.

So, here's a choice or plan for you guys thinking about going with the GM kit.

Order your boost tubing and GM kit at the same time and do the install at the same time.
Or, order your boost tubing specific for the GM kit but only install the hot side until you have the GM kit.
Or, order the hot side boost tubing only and save yourself the aggrevation of swapping the cold side as it really isn't very restrictive anyways and is not the side prone to cracking.
My deal is that I want the gm stage kit but I am not really sure they are even going to come out with it for the cobalt. I guess I would rather just buy the normal boost tubing kit and if and when GM releases the kit I will attempt to make the modification myself or by a new cold side.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:46 PM

So, do we need to PM you our build dates now? If so where are they on the car again?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marcusicp
So, do we need to PM you our build dates now? If so where are they on the car again?
The build date will be on the sticker on the inside of the drivers door. It's in the corner of that sticker.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:56 PM

looks good man.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks great cant wait for mine to arrive!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RBC
My deal is that I want the gm stage kit but I am not really sure they are even going to come out with it for the cobalt. I guess I would rather just buy the normal boost tubing kit and if and when GM releases the kit I will attempt to make the modification myself or by a new cold side.
Hole has to be drilled bigger is all. Any machine shop or person with a big drill press should be able to drill it out.