2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Help with MAP/MAF values and car running poorly

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with MAP/MAF values and car running poorly

Alright so I recently installed a K&N SRI and Forge atmospheric BPV on my car. In addition, I already had GMS1 with Trifecta on top, as well as a catless downpipe. After installing the new parts I drove the car for a couple of days without tuning for the new VTA BPV and it ran good. The only thing I noticed was the VTA BPV flutters quite a bit when letting off from light-part throttle, typically between 10inHg vacuum - 0psi. (I'm currently running the green spring the unit came with) I finally got my updated Trifecta tune through BNRacing, including the new "ECP" programming to allow for the installation of the new parts.

Since reflashing the ECU with the new Trifecta tune my car has been running pretty awful. Most of the symptoms are intermittent but are fairly frequent, especially after a cold start. The symptoms include rough/erratic idle, throttle surge, poor acceleration, bucking and studdering at cruising speeds under partial throttle.

Many of these symptoms are similar to issues Ive experienced in the past when my GMS1 MAP sensor went bad. However, in the past I always got a corresponding CEL with the symptoms. This time no CEL, and its been a couple days of driving it this way. Plus, it cant be a coincidence that this all started following the new bolt-ons and tune....

Does anybody have any ideas? If it is the MAP again how would I know seeing I'm not getting a CEL? I have a good diagnostics scanner capable of reading numerous live data parameters, however, I don't know what the value norms are. In addition to other possible ideas for the problem, if someone could also give me what the normal values for things like the fuel trims, MAP and MAF sensors, and any other parameters I should be looking at, that would help a lot!

Thanks in advance
Old 09-26-2013, 12:46 PM

Went out to start the car this morning after sitting over night. It stalled after 5secs of running, started it up and stalled again. Now it stays running, but barely. Very erratic idle, smoking exhaust, and it barely stays running. Still no CEL, but I checked and it has a 2178 pending, which is just "too rich at idle".

Thoughts?
Old 09-29-2013, 11:54 AM

No input on this at all? Im surprised!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:11 PM

ur maf needs adjustment...i got the rich at idle a few times on my car..went and looked at logs and was like -11 across the board

talk to vince at trifecta he should fix it for u
Old 10-02-2013, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sloco Productions
ur maf needs adjustment...i got the rich at idle a few times on my car..went and looked at logs and was like -11 across the board

talk to vince at trifecta he should fix it for u
I've been datalogging with him via BNRacing. He had me flash back to stock and send him a datalog of that. Car runs good in the stock tune, occassionally messing up when the car catches on to the intake and BOV being installed, but then I clear the codes and its fine. Seeing as soon as I flashed back to stock it ran great I can't imagine its not the tune.... still waiting to hear back from Vince?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:17 PM

Still can't get the car to run right. With the newly added Trifecta ECP tune, Forge BOV (VTA BPV), and K&N intake I continually get erratic idle, poor off idle response, random boost number at WOT (ranging from 15-24psi where it used to consistently boost 24). The acceleration is really bad even when it shows that it's making full boost, the car feels real sluggish. It also randomly bucks really really hard at part throttle. I'm not getting any codes though. I'm thinking the car just doesn't like the BOV? I've gotten 3 updated tunes from Trifecta after datalogging, but none of made a difference. I have removed the BOV and SRI today, and left the ECP tune on, and its running better as of now, but we'll see tomorrow morning after a cold start.

Input??
Old 10-18-2013, 09:13 AM

the problem with the ECP is that you can't adjust fuel trims, he told me "what you get is what you get" I didn't really like the sounds of that so i removed my BOV. Its not really worth the sound anymore.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:00 PM

I'm wondering now if some damage has been done to the car. I put the stock intake and BPV back on, and tuned back to stock today. I'm still getting erratic idle, I'm at work for 24hrs though so I haven't gone for a drive yet to see how it runs. It almost feels like when the MAP sensor went bad a couple times before (GMS1), but I'm not getting any CEL's like I normally would. I'm hoping have that BOV and ECP tune didn't mess something up. I'm going to look into it more tomorrow.

The weird thing was today, after tuning back to stock, I let it idle for a few minutes. During this time it would occasionally become erratic and fluctuate between 500-1500rpm. Everytime the RPM's fluctuated it was accompanied by what seems to be louder than normal "ticking" from the high pressure fuel pump.... it almost seemed like a fast ticking or rattling coming from the pump, and at the same time the idle would go erratic. No CEL though.

EDIT: I guess I didn't run the car long enough after flashing back to stock, maybe it hadn't relearned idle yet. Either way, I left work this morning and the car drives perfect. I've done a good amount of driving today and there hasn't been one issue. I'm flashed back to the GMS1 tune with only a K&N drop in and TurboXS cat less DP. So, either the Forge VTA BPV, K&N SRI, or the ECP tune was seriously messing with the car, it was running like ****.

Last edited by 80vetteL82; 10-19-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 1st SS ran great on Vinces tunes. But my 2nd SS ran like dog poo. I think his tunes have been getting crappier.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My new Trifecta tune runes great(purchased around same time as 80VetteL82) and I haven't even sent files back to datalog yet.

Last edited by Shanedude; 10-25-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by 80vetteL82
I'm wondering now if some damage has been done to the car. I put the stock intake and BPV back on, and tuned back to stock today. I'm still getting erratic idle, I'm at work for 24hrs though so I haven't gone for a drive yet to see how it runs. It almost feels like when the MAP sensor went bad a couple times before (GMS1), but I'm not getting any CEL's like I normally would. I'm hoping have that BOV and ECP tune didn't mess something up. I'm going to look into it more tomorrow.

The weird thing was today, after tuning back to stock, I let it idle for a few minutes. During this time it would occasionally become erratic and fluctuate between 500-1500rpm. Everytime the RPM's fluctuated it was accompanied by what seems to be louder than normal "ticking" from the high pressure fuel pump.... it almost seemed like a fast ticking or rattling coming from the pump, and at the same time the idle would go erratic. No CEL though.

EDIT: I guess I didn't run the car long enough after flashing back to stock, maybe it hadn't relearned idle yet. Either way, I left work this morning and the car drives perfect. I've done a good amount of driving today and there hasn't been one issue. I'm flashed back to the GMS1 tune with only a K&N drop in and TurboXS cat less DP. So, either the Forge VTA BPV, K&N SRI, or the ECP tune was seriously messing with the car, it was running like ****.
Im not too sure about that ECP tune or the VTA. Our cars dont like anything except the stock BPV and replacement BPV from forge. The ECP just doesnt sound right. IIRC it just runs off predetermined tables which could be bad if your car doesnt mesh well with the advance etc.