2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Lnf pcv

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lnf pcv

Alright guys I need input. Is the pcv system integrated into the valve cover in my car and if so it's stuck one bad making my car think it's a vac leak and I wanted to know if powells oil separator will cure my issue with the pcv valve.. pulling p0507 code only and boost leak tested, replace maf, throttle body, and maps..
Old 09-29-2016, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Only place it can be stuck is the check valve in the manifold. The seperator v3 will eliminate the check valve completely so ya id go that route. That or just change the valve
Old 09-29-2016, 11:09 AM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
There are two check valves: one is in the IM and the other is at the fresh air inlet. The one in the IM makes sure that there is no pressure into the crankcase during boost; the inlet valve makes sure that flow is only going from intake to crankcase. I'd check the inlet valve before ripping apart the IM.

The PCV on the LNF (and most boosted cars for that matter) are not the typical valve you're used to in N/A engines where they open part way depending on manifold pressure. The valves here are simpler but the system itself is more complex. Valve failure is possible but more rare. A high idle speed doesn't scream "open IM valve" to me, since that valve should be open anyways. It could be stuck closed, but I think the other valve is more likely to be stuck closed. What happens when you open the oil fill cap while it's running?
The following users liked this post:
Stand by (07-24-2021)
Old 09-29-2016, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by exninja
There are two check valves: one is in the IM and the other is at the fresh air inlet. The one in the IM makes sure that there is no pressure into the crankcase during boost; the inlet valve makes sure that flow is only going from intake to crankcase. I'd check the inlet valve before ripping apart the IM.

The PCV on the LNF (and most boosted cars for that matter) are not the typical valve you're used to in N/A engines where they open part way depending on manifold pressure. The valves here are simpler but the system itself is more complex. Valve failure is possible but more rare. A high idle speed doesn't scream "open IM valve" to me, since that valve should be open anyways. It could be stuck closed, but I think the other valve is more likely to be stuck closed. What happens when you open the oil fill cap while it's running?
I replaced the fresh air side pcv hose with the revised one and the pcv is integrated into the valve cover? Where is it in the intake manifold
Old 09-29-2016, 11:36 AM

I replaced the fresh air side pcv hose with the revised one and the pcv is integrated into the valve cover? Where is it in the intake manifold?
Old 09-29-2016, 12:03 PM

PCV flow is regulated via orifices in the valve cover, so that's how it's integrated.

The check valve in the IM is in a hole between the intake runners of cylinders 2 and 3. When you remove the IM, turn it to look at the mating surface. You can't miss it. It's tricky to pop out, but once you do you can test it by just blowing in it. If you can blow one way but not the other, it works fine. If it's completely gunked up then it may have gotten stuck closed. All it is is a diaphragm. Like I said, it's very simple.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:05 PM

Also if you're going through the trouble may as well go get one since they're like $7 and you should replace the IM gasket anyways if you take it apart. You'd probably bugger up the valve trying to get it out. Just make sure the stealership gets you the right valve. The parts guy is more clueless than you about what you need (that's not an insult to you).
Old 09-29-2016, 12:09 PM

Also if you're going through the trouble may as well go get one since they're like $7 and you should replace the IM gasket anyways if you take it apart. You'd probably bugger up the valve trying to get it out. Just make sure the stealership gets you the right valve. The parts guy is more clueless than you about what you need (that's not an insult to you).
Do you guys know the valve part number and so the v3 won't fix the issue with the valve that they remove and then tap so they can fit one of their own fittings?
Old 09-29-2016, 12:13 PM

If your issue is a stuck valve (don't know if it is or isn't) then the only reason that Powell's separator would fix it is the same as why a new valve would fix it. The v3 separator reroutes the PCV outflow out of the IM to the separator instead of dumping it into the IM. It would prevent oil vapors from entering the IM and then depositing on the intake valves causing coking. It's not meant to fix PCV issues directly, but it replaces a few PCV components so it indirectly could fix issues.

I don't know the PCV valve PN but a search should yield it. You'd know it's right if they ask for less than $20.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:25 PM

I guess also I'm confused as to how the valve in the IM works when I thought the valve cover did all the pcv stuff which is why I was gonna go the Powell oil separator cause it takes out the fitting that goes from the valve cover to the turbo
Old 09-29-2016, 12:31 PM

The valve in the IM prevents intake air from going into the valve cover during boost. That's it. It is a one-way check valve.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Dustin24
I guess also I'm confused as to how the valve in the IM works when I thought the valve cover did all the pcv stuff which is why I was gonna go the Powell oil separator cause it takes out the fitting that goes from the valve cover to the turbo
The valve in the intake manifold pulls air through the crank case and pulls the fumes from the crank case threw the valve cover and into the intake and reburns it while in vacuum, and during boost it closes and the pressure and gasses go another route, fresh air pull in from intake to crank case via the line on ur intake tube to valve cover and it comes out the line from valve cover to turbo , during boost the turbo produces the vacuum needed to vent the crank case. With powell seperator v3 the turbo provides all the vacuum for everyrhing as im port where valve used to be is plugged.

Last edited by tomj77; 09-29-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
PCV valve part # 12589440
Old 09-30-2016, 05:11 PM

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Pcv
Attached Thumbnails photo492.jpg   photo508.jpg