2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

LNF Valve Gunk..

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LNF Valve Gunk..

This is what happens when you don't use a oil catch can.. I disconnected the oil catch can at the LNF meet at ZZP.. Since installing the 5th injector at ZZP - I thought it would cure the oil build up?? I've noticed the oil level on the dip stick has gone down a little at a time.. over a two month period?? Which I suspect since the oil catch can was disconnected..

I've been using half a can of Seafoam regularly every 2-3 months.. but this is nuts.. so the oil catch can gets reconnected, and a full can of Seafoam is in order for today.. next Monday, I will pull the IM off again, and I'll check to see if the oil catch can cures the problem and post pics..

As for the Intake Manifold, it's clean but there is a "tiny pool" of oil on the bottom of the IM, but no oil gunk/build up anywhere, it's the same for both side of the TB blade and lower charge pipes..
__________________________________________________ _____________________

The first picture basically shows what all of the valves/ports look like.. sorry for the fuzzy pics..

Cyl #1

Cyl #2

Cyl #3

Cyl #4

on a side note.. Next Saturday, I'm going to fully switch to E85, hopefully the fuel will fully clean this up using the 5th inj.. I've been using Sunoco's 260GT Race fuel a few times within the last three weeks.. It's interesting how the engine react to this gas, compared to regular street gas -Shell 93 & Sunoco 93.. OMFG.. 2nd gear runs is useless in mexico..
Old 07-09-2012, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That can't be right. The catch can is only supposed to catch the oil coming out of the pcv valve before it enters the intake again. So with or without catch can, the amount of oil coming through there shouldn't change. As far as I know you also shouldn't be loosing so much oil that your dipstick is noticably dropping.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
U should send this to Gm and tell them to fix this crap, they should have a 5th injector stock o keep it clean
Old 07-09-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catch can wouldnt fix this, its carbon build up from di. This happens to every lnf, some people are working on a cure. Until then you will have to blast it off with walnut shells.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:28 PM

fffuuuccckkkkk.
i'm gonna check mine and see whatsup soon.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:38 PM

^ youre going to be disapointed, which is why i havent looked at mine yet.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by dayhoff35
hush yer mouf!
if its all gunky and stuff i'll just clean it out real well.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:43 PM

This.

Oh the joys of GDI. I've seen before/after shots of Seafoam too, it doesn't really do anything for this.

E85 w/ 5th injector and/or meth will help, but don't expect it to clean up after just a month or so, will take quite some time.

Better off cleaning it as much as you can by hand/brush, then switch to 5th injector/meth right after to keep it clean. I wouldn't rely on just seafoam.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:44 PM

Mine has the samething when I pulled the im off to install my new injector seals and pwerks phenolic spacer
Old 07-09-2012, 01:45 PM

and ive been spraying meth for awhile now and still build up
Old 07-09-2012, 01:47 PM

Yeah meth and e85 will help, but very very minimal. Like i said a few people are working on a cure for this, hopefully they get something that works.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:21 PM

damn, how many miles are on that engine?
mine has 44k, i wonder if it looks like this?
Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 PM

They're have been alot with less miles then that with the build up, it is going to happen. Just need to clean it out and it will be fine.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:53 PM

I took my IM off and cleaned each valve stem as best I could with a small brush. Then put it back together. Started her up to burn off the stuff that fell then shut her down and did a full can of seafoam...then replaced my plugs right after that. I know it help a tiny bit but by no means were they shiny clean...but at least the gunk was gone lol
Old 07-09-2012, 04:34 PM

so seafoam doesnt fix this? whats the point then?...lol
Old 07-09-2012, 04:38 PM

Catch can wouldnt fix this, its carbon build up from di. This happens to every lnf, some people are working on a cure. Until then you will have to blast it off with walnut shells.
the catch can worked only when I was seafoaming the sh*t of it every 2-3 months.. it kept the oil/gunk at bay..

Originally Posted by WSFrazier
This.

Oh the joys of GDI. I've seen before/after shots of Seafoam too, it doesn't really do anything for this.

E85 w/ 5th injector and/or meth will help, but don't expect it to clean up after just a month or so, will take quite some time.

Better off cleaning it as much as you can by hand/brush, then switch to 5th injector/meth right after to keep it clean. I wouldn't rely on just seafoam.
funny thing is, I was hoping the 5th inj would prevent this..

once I have a four day weekend , I'll pop the head off and do a few projects on the head [port/gasket match, install new valves, polish the chamber], but your right - wire brush the sh*t out of the ports/valves.. until then next week/month - it's seafoam to the rescue..

Originally Posted by FF_ace
Mine has the samething when I pulled the im off to install my new injector seals and pwerks phenolic spacer
im going to call Pwerks this week, to see if they can make me a set of phenolic spacers w/ double-sided o-ring gaskets on both sides.. it would be nice to see they could do a group buy this idea.. up to now I've been using two ac/delco IM gaskets between the phenolic spacers on both sides..

Originally Posted by AARON-SS-TC
damn, how many miles are on that engine?
mine has 44k, i wonder if it looks like this?
up now, 76k - w/ the ZZP TC kit 52k..

Originally Posted by cubaniche
I took my IM off and cleaned each valve stem as best I could with a small brush. Then put it back together. Started her up to burn off the stuff that fell then shut her down and did a full can of seafoam...then replaced my plugs right after that. I know it help a tiny bit but by no means were they shiny clean...but at least the gunk was gone lol
i'll ordered the long stem wire brush kit either from the mac tools or snap-on guy tomorrow.. hopefully i get the kit by next week..

Last edited by gone_in_10_sec; 07-09-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by AARON-SS-TC
so seafoam doesnt fix this? whats the point then?...lol
it fixes it, just not when its as bad as ours haha.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:04 PM

You bastard!!! Did you get pics of the install of both injector seals and Phenolic spacers??

im going to call Pwerks this week, to see if they can make me a set of phenolic spacers w/ double-sided o-ring gaskets on both sides.. it would be nice to see they could do a group buy this idea.. up to now I've been using two ac/delco IM gaskets between the phenolic spacers on both sides..
Wait can you explain why you would put an O-ring and gaskets on both sides. I have the phenolic spacers from Werks as well for my Sky and was wondering. Is it because of fitment issues? Lack of a good seal? I want to know if I will be having to do this as well. Thanks!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Got Brakes?
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
More to the point, regular maintenance with seafoam will HELP prevent that kind of build up, but once you have that much backed on it'll take more than just running a fairly non invasive chemical cleaner through there.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:45 PM

i used grey rtv when installing my performance autowerks phenolic spacer it sealed up just fine
Old 07-09-2012, 06:02 PM

you might have had horrible build up already before your 5th injector. If you had a clean motor from the start the 5th injector probably would have helped keep the carbon at bay. But since you put it on a used engine with carbon already caked on, i have my serious doubts about it being able to take the old crusted stuff off.

I think these motors just eventually need new heads. there is nothing around it really.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by 40rty
Wait can you explain why you would put an O-ring and gaskets on both sides. I have the phenolic spacers from Werks as well for my Sky and was wondering. Is it because of fitment issues? Lack of a good seal? I want to know if I will be having to do this as well. Thanks!!!
no fitment issues or lack of a good seal with the pworks - phenolic spacers.. just want to have them made, to prevent any boost leaks.. currently I'm at 25-27 psi range now, but once I perform other internal upgrades and retune for a new 40-50psi tune , i'll know leaks are bound to happen at that spot between IM and the Head and few other spots as well...

i used grey rtv when installing my performance autowerks phenolic spacer it sealed up just fine
Grey RTV is great, but once past 35-55+psi it's not going to hold boost for long - especially in my case..

Originally Posted by raver0789
you might have had horrible build up already before your 5th injector. If you had a clean motor from the start the 5th injector probably would have helped keep the carbon at bay. But since you put it on a used engine with carbon already caked on, i have my serious doubts about it being able to take the old crusted stuff off. I think these motors just eventually need new heads. there is nothing around it really.
knew this was going to happen once I disconnected the catch can.. but now I know, what I need to do.. as for the getting a new head or for getting them cleaned/scrubbed - i think that's a given especially for everybody's LNF's.. it sux's GM should have done something like a "GMPP Catch Can" either installed at the factory or aftermarket.. boy, do i love to dream..
Old 07-09-2012, 07:14 PM

This is what happens when you use valve overlap as an EGR. I dont think a catch can will help.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
the issues with coking on di motors is not new.
  • there is no one solution. I beleive that K&N and other filters with poor small particulate control are problematical
  • inlet valve temperature is key/200 degrees C inlet valve temp, is not a good number
  • pcv control is important
  • top tier hi octane fuel is important
  • low ash oil is important.
  • driver mod to deal with inlet valve temperature is important. low revs in 5th =ugh
  • Powell raceparts will offer a partial solution soon.
  • seafoam wont help in a di motor to any degree
  • using a wire brush in the inlet port is probably not a good idea. Walnut shell blast is better, wood particles burn when sucked in the cylinder, wire brush particles dont.
I am sad to hear meth doesnt help I had some hope for that, but the chemists say methanol wont do much for the coking buildup. Meth/water mix maybe?

stay tuned for a solution from us, its in the works and testing
Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 PM

I don't see how the 5th injector would help anyways seeing as how it's designed to turn on basically only under WOT. Who drives in WOT all the time?

I bet if someone had like a really low gpm meth nozzle that always sprayed a super tiny amount it might help better. Something that could be tuned for so it wouldn't super saturate the motor with too much fuel.

Quick Reply: LNF Valve Gunk..