2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

MODS with GM1 Tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MODS with GM1 Tune

Hello,
How far can you go modification wise if your 09 Coballt SS already has the GM1 tune ?
Could you add a Cold Air Intake ??
Could you add a Cold Air Intake and a Charge Pipe ???
Or could you add a Cold Air Intake, a Charge Pipe and a High Flow Cat ????
At what point would the engine start running Too Lean because I believe the GM1 tune will Not adjust for the additional air flow, correct ?????
Thanks for any help,
Jeff
Old 02-13-2016, 09:59 PM

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by SECRETARIAT
Hello,
How far can you go modification wise if your 09 Coballt SS already has the GM1 tune ?
Could you add a Cold Air Intake ??
Could you add a Cold Air Intake and a Charge Pipe ???
Or could you add a Cold Air Intake, a Charge Pipe and a High Flow Cat ????
At what point would the engine start running Too Lean because I believe the GM1 tune will Not adjust for the additional air flow, correct ?????
Thanks for any help,
Jeff
The GM stg1 runs quite lean already so adding an intake or any piping intercooler in my opinion isn't a good idea. But an Dp or exhaust are fine. An intake requires a tune to adjust trims
Old 02-13-2016, 11:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I didn't have any problems with a catless dp and an intake on gms1. Ran the same .95-.88 lambda with the mods. STFT is all over the place too.

Also It might be better to get a tune + dp instead of the other stuff. Plus do the vacuum tank delete to save your upper ic pipe and your intercooler.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sl0wbaltSS
I didn't have any problems with a catless dp and an intake on gms1. Ran the same .95-.88 lambda with the mods. STFT is all over the place too.

Also It might be better to get a tune + dp instead of the other stuff. Plus do the vacuum tank delete to save your upper ic pipe and your intercooler.
Im sorry but how many engines have you had in ur car?
The following 3 users liked this post by KMO43:
ae_xiong (02-14-2016), CudaJoe (02-15-2016), Snail_SS (02-15-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 03:50 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by KMO43
Im sorry but how many engines have you had in ur car?
I'm sorry, but how much experience have you had?
Old 02-14-2016, 06:47 AM

HAHAHAHA look me up!!!!!
Old 02-14-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Sl0wbaltSS
I'm sorry, but how much experience have you had?
Vac tank delete will ruin your engine lol. It's on there to keep stress off the engine it is in no way a performance mod.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts
My BPV solenoid was broken and it wasn't recirculating boost and it was rough.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The GM stg1 runs quite lean already so adding an intake or any piping intercooler in my opinion isn't a good idea. But an Dp or exhaust are fine. An intake requires a tune to adjust trims
Last year at VIR my intercooler pipe split at the seam so I had to replace it with ZZP piping on the stock intercooler. Are you saying that a GMS1 tune shouldn't be run with this piping in place?
Old 02-14-2016, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do full bolt ons including ZFR, swap pcm's
Old 02-14-2016, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by r1owner
Last year at VIR my intercooler pipe split at the seam so I had to replace it with ZZP piping on the stock intercooler. Are you saying that a GMS1 tune shouldn't be run with this piping in place?
Any time you increase the flow it will throw the trims off. I helped a guy with his idle because he had an intercooler on Stg1 and the trims were way off set them and it idled great he said
Old 02-14-2016, 09:01 PM

Any time you increase the flow it will throw the trims off. I helped a guy with his idle because he had an intercooler on Stg1 and the trims were way off set them and it idled great he said
I had to replace my stock intercooler a while back thanks to a raccoon. I upgraded to ZZP's smaller version. The only other things done are the stock air cleaner air horn mod from this site and ZZP upgraded intake tube.
So are you saying with my GM1 tune that my trims are out due to the intercooler upgrade ?
If not, is the only other upgrade I could do be a high flow catted downpipe ??
Thanks.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:06 PM

I had to replace my stock intercooler a while back thanks to a raccoon. I upgraded to ZZP's smaller version. The only other things done are the stock air cleaner air horn mod from this site and ZZP upgraded intake tube.
So are you saying with my GM1 tune that my trims are out due to the intercooler upgrade ?
If not, is the only other upgrade I could do be a high flow catted downpipe ??
Thanks.
Yes. Id have to look at the log i have for the exact numbers but prob 7%+ off
Old 02-14-2016, 09:09 PM

Yes. Id have to look at the log i have for the exact numbers but prob 7%+ off
So I should either go back to a stock intercooler or with this intercooler would have to go to a different tune ?? I'm making less power with the ZZP intercooler ?
Old 02-14-2016, 09:13 PM

So I should either go back to a stock intercooler or with this intercooler would have to go to a different tune ?? I'm making less power with the ZZP intercooler ?
I personally saw a nice gain by switching intercoolers and thats why it thows the trims off because of the increased flow. I would watch knock because with bad trims that can happen and eventually get a tune to get those trims dialed
Old 02-14-2016, 09:20 PM

I personally saw a nice gain by switching intercoolers and thats why it thows the trims off because of the increased flow. I would watch knock because with bad trims that can happen and eventually get a tune to get those trims dialed
Sorry, newbie here. I've never had any knock. Just want to make sure here, so in my case with my combination I'm likely making less hp & torque now with the aftermarket intercooler than with the stock intercooler ?
Thanks
Old 02-14-2016, 09:30 PM

Sorry, newbie here. I've never had any knock. Just want to make sure here, so in my case with my combination I'm likely making less hp & torque now with the aftermarket intercooler than with the stock intercooler ?
Thanks
No you'd be making a tiny bit more I'd guess but our car runs off of the wideband o2 so having bad trims could reault in knock then you'll have a power loss without knock you should be ok
Old 02-14-2016, 09:35 PM

No you'd be making a tiny bit more I'd guess but our car runs off of the wideband o2 so having bad trims could reault in knock then you'll have a power loss without knock you should be ok
So you said earlier that the only other mod that I could get away with would be a high flow catted downpipe. Would this still be the case with the upgraded intercooler or no ? Would I be pushing my luck and likely start losing power or at very least, not gain anything ??
Old 02-14-2016, 09:40 PM

So you said earlier that the only other mod that I could get away with would be a high flow catted downpipe. Would this still be the case with the upgraded intercooler or no ? Would I be pushing my luck and likely start losing power or at very least, not gain anything ??
A DP is a good mod but a tune will do wonders for the car and be safer. I had a canned tune very similar to the gm stg1 fully bolted and my trims were so bad i had knock so i had to buy meth
Old 02-15-2016, 09:06 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by r1owner
I think my input is probably more beneficial than anyone in here on this particular situation. Changing the charge pipe is fine, changing an Intercooler is fine, It wont change a thing. Airflow is measured at the MAF (intake), air pressure is measured at the MAPs (lower charge pipe, and Intake manifold).

If for some underestimated reason changing the charge pipe (diameter/length) increases or decreases airflow, it will be captured and adjusted via the MAPs.

You will see no change in fuel trims. The intake is the only player in running lean or rich as far as bolt ons go, not including turbo swaps as bolt ons.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:10 AM

I have yet to see an intercooler produced for the cobalt that has thrown off fuel trims. If you really need to know, I would email ZZP and ask them the question directly. They would have information in their product info section saying a tune is needed with this modification.

The only time a fuel trim has been off after installing an intercooler or a charge pipe is because of a boost leak / bad install.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by CudaJoe
I think my input is probably more beneficial that anyone in here on this particular situation. Changing the charge pipe is fine, changing an Intercooler is fine, It wont change a thing. Airflow is measured at the MAF (intake), air pressure is measured at the MAPs (lower charge pipe, and Intake manifold).

If for some underestimated reason changing the charge pipe (diameter/length) increases or decreases airflow, it will be captured and adjusted via the MAPs.

You will see no change in fuel trims. The intake is the only player in running lean or rich as far as bolt ons go, not including turbo swaps as bolt ons.
This is incorrect information. If you increase flow the trims will change
Old 02-15-2016, 09:15 AM

I have yet to see an intercooler produced for the cobalt that has thrown off fuel trims. If you really need to know, I would email ZZP and ask them the question directly. They would have information in their product info section saying a tune is needed with this modification.

The only time a fuel trim has been off after installing an intercooler or a charge pipe is because of a boost leak / bad install.
Ask kzak104 he was gm stg1 with an intercooler and his idle was bad so I fixed his trims and it went back to normal
Old 02-15-2016, 09:20 AM

dude Ive ran an after market IC and charge piping on the factory tune for 2 years before I ever got a tune and there was 0 change in my trims from OEM and aftermarket IC/charge piping. Charge piping and IC just moves charged air and cools it to ambient. Im speaking from experience here. If you have fuel trim creep, more than likely theres a leak.

To this day I swap between my factory tune and my HPtune. no problem.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:23 AM

dude Ive ran an after market IC and charge piping on the factory tune for 2 years before I ever got a tune and there was 0 change in my trims from OEM and aftermarket IC/charge piping. Charge piping and IC just moves charged air and cools it to ambient. Im speaking from experience here. If you have fuel trim creep, more than likely theres a leak.

To this day I swap between my factory tune and my HPtune. no problem.
So you're saying by lowering the resriction in the system is going to flow the same amount of air at the exact same frequency as before??? I have tuned many cars and seen this a lot. Im not sampling 1 car

Quick Reply: MODS with GM1 Tune