2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

P2195 and P2096 - 2009 LNF Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
I dont see an issue with the LTFTs being near 0 like that. The STFTs do bounce around, you'll see spikes to +15 or -15 usually when you let off the gas, under engine load sounds weird though.

Command A/F is as I explained in the previous post. Its what the car's A/F goal is. This changes depending on driving conditions. I keep that with A/F so you can compare what the car is "commanding" the engine to do vs what your actually reading for air/fuel ratio.

Im wondering if your Fuel trims do need some sort of adjustments. There could be a case that when your cruising under light load, your LTFT may drift negative and then when your underload (accelerating) it goes postive causing your LTFT to balance out around 0. This is one way you could be running lean but not seeing the symptom. I will accelerate in my car on the way home (on a stock tune) to see if I see +15 STFT. My LTFT is floating between +3 and +5, due to cold weather.
The following users liked this post:
splash (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 10:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I'll do like you said firehawk and check the EVAP solenoid and MAF. My tuner maintains that it is not the tune and there is an issue elsewhere in the car. He said that with LNF's, they use the O2 sensor for closed loop feedback to control feeling. He also said that it's the original O2 sensor on the car. It may very well be that the sensor itself is really just bad. I'll go driving again today and see what my fuel trims are saying. But I also think that a good idea would be to just replace the sensor.

Cudajoe, under engine load the STFT is supposed to be around 0 correct? Isn't it being at 15 a major problem?
Old 11-12-2015, 10:55 AM

Firehawk, you are referring to the hose that connects to the Evap solenoid on the intake manifold correct?
Old 11-12-2015, 10:59 AM

Cruising 70 down the highway I'm seeing between -3 and -5 vacuum on a straight highway. At idle I'm seeing -17 or -18. Could this perhaps point that it is in fact the purge solenoid causing an issue?
Old 11-12-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 840 Likes on 737 Posts
Originally Posted by splash
Well I'll do like you said firehawk and check the EVAP solenoid and MAF. My tuner maintains that it is not the tune and there is an issue elsewhere in the car. He said that with LNF's, they use the O2 sensor for closed loop feedback to control feeling. He also said that it's the original O2 sensor on the car. It may very well be that the sensor itself is really just bad. I'll go driving again today and see what my fuel trims are saying. But I also think that a good idea would be to just replace the sensor.

Cudajoe, under engine load the STFT is supposed to be around 0 correct? Isn't it being at 15 a major problem?
Unsure of who your tuner is, but LTFT and STFT are directly from differences in observed conditions vs the MAF tables. The o2 sensor normally starts tripping CELs before it goes completely bad.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:26 PM

The O2 sensor is throwing check codes. Code P2195 and P2096. P2195 is the O2 sensor being stuck rich. Which leads me to believe that maybe it is just that sensor.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:40 PM

I'd replace that first then. Its fairly easy, just get the offset o2 tool and extensions. If the exhaust is still a little warm it comes out eaiser
Old 11-12-2015, 02:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Firehawk, you are referring to the hose that connects to the Evap solenoid on the intake manifold correct?

Yes, front and center on the manifold.

Wouldn't hurt to rule that out.

FWIW I"ve been doing a lot of logging to get my MAF scaling right.

I can have it all set, drive to work. LTFT's will stay +-3. Don't touch a thing. Drive home and then LTFT will goto +-6 or 7.

I'm getting close to being done.

What Cudajoe says makes complete sense though. Perhaps cruising is good enough to keep LTFT's around zero but that doesn't necessarily mean that things are right overall. It's just a good quick indicator that things are ok or not though generally.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:10 PM

Okay I'll check the Evap solenoid and then perhaps go about replacing the O2 sensor.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by firehawk618
Yes, front and center on the manifold.

Wouldn't hurt to rule that out.

FWIW I"ve been doing a lot of logging to get my MAF scaling right.

I can have it all set, drive to work. LTFT's will stay +-3. Don't touch a thing. Drive home and then LTFT will goto +-6 or 7.

I'm getting close to being done.

What Cudajoe says makes complete sense though. Perhaps cruising is good enough to keep LTFT's around zero but that doesn't necessarily mean that things are right overall. It's just a good quick indicator that things are ok or not though generally.
Are you dialing the trims in with the evap unplugged?
Old 11-12-2015, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Are you dialing the trims in with the evap unplugged?
I am doing it with it capped off.

I left the solenoid in so that the LTFT doesn't sit at zero the whole time.

Do you recommend I go ahead and unplug the solenoid and just work with STFT's?
Old 11-12-2015, 07:50 PM

Yes, disconnect it. If you cap it the ECU thinks its still functioning. I'm surprised it hasn't set a code. Also you need to drive 20+ miles between tune and adjustment to help with getting the trims dialed it.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:53 PM

so just to follow up on what I said I would do. Im on the stock tune right now with my all seasons (winterized the car). My current modifications are ZZP upper Charge pipe, K&N intake, Treadstone TR8 intercooler, High flow catted 3" downpipe, forge BPV.

LTFTs are between +3 and +5 indicating im slightly lean but overall satisfactory. STFT during 100% acceleration from a redlight - partial throttle from first into second STFTs did not go above or below +3 and -3. 100% throttle in 2nd gear and 3rd gear, STFTs stayed around 0 with a flash to +3 or -3 every now and then.

Yeah, I think a super negative/ positive STFT under load is very strange and should drive the LTFT negative eventually. Again it maybe balancing out with a positive STFT under cruise. Could these symptoms be from a bad O_2 sensor? I cant say. The only thing you can do since the car was purchased with a tune is throw parts at it and try analyzing the syptoms (or get HPtuners and data log the car). Padlock is known on here, I remember him posting quite a bit.

I think from experience anyone who tunes from their perspective does no wrong but thats just me thinking common sense. If you had the factory tune, you'd see if the syptoms follow to the factory tune or not. That would answer the question immediately if it were the tune. whats wierd to me is you never had a problem until last month. Maybe O_2 sensor is the way to go

My car has 88k miles, never changed the O_2 sensor. Its been tuned for 45k miles.

Last edited by CudaJoe; 11-13-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:56 PM

I guess in that case then I will just go with the sensor. I guess I'm bound to figure out the problem eventually. As long as I don't really get into boost am I doing any damage to the car?
Old 11-13-2015, 09:05 AM

I did some more reading this morning. The long term fuel trim is -.7 on this cycle (approximately 400 miles since I reset the code.) Does that point to anything?
Old 11-13-2015, 09:33 AM

I did some more reading this morning. The long term fuel trim is -.7 on this cycle (approximately 400 miles since I reset the code.) Does that point to anything?
no -0.7 is perfectly acceptable. If fact, probably even more so desired. a negative fuel trim means the car is running richer than average and its "subtracting" 0.7% of fueling it normally adds.

averaging on the rich side is safer for the car. underload, extreme positive or negative STFT points to some sort of vac leak/ boost leak, or maybe a failed sensor. But the LTFT should eventually follow suit after a bit. Does the car hold a +18/-18 STFT during acceleration or just flash to it and back?
Old 11-13-2015, 09:35 AM

It holds like +17 STFT during WOT. I think it's positive.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:41 AM

Wouldn't the fuel trims being like that under WOT support the fact that the AFR is like 11.4.11.6 under WOT?
Old 11-13-2015, 01:17 PM

Wouldn't the fuel trims being like that under WOT support the fact that the AFR is like 11.4.11.6 under WOT?
Whatever the ecu is set to command is what it's trying to do. That is adjustable via the tune.

So for example if the car is commanding 12.0 afr at whatever load/throttle position but isn't seeing it that's where your STFT's come in. It's trying to do what it can to achieve 12.0.

Does that make sense?

I am going to suggest instead of throwing a bunch of parts at the car you pick up a HP tuners cable. Yeah they're a little spendy but worth every penny.

With that cable + laptop you can do some serious logging, post those logs here and we could be a bit more help.

With the scangauge it's great for instant info but it's very hard to sit there and stare at it while driving.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Yes, disconnect it. If you cap it the ECU thinks its still functioning. I'm surprised it hasn't set a code. Also you need to drive 20+ miles between tune and adjustment to help with getting the trims dialed it.
I'm sure it will throw a code eventually. I am most likely not doing enough full drive cycles for it to trigger before I load a revised tune.

I am doing at a minimum of two 10 mile trips before making any changes.

I am at the point now where I am going to leave it in for a few days, few hundred miles before any more adjustments.

Thanks for the info, I will start a new thread if I have any more questions regarding my tuning.

OP, back to you!
Old 11-13-2015, 01:36 PM

The computation would be ((Actual AFR/ CMD AFR) - 1) x 100% = Fuel trim.

At wide open throttle the CMD AFR should be like 12.0 or whatever its set too. The AFR reading should closely match that (lets say 11.9 for practice). If this is true and we plug in the numbers to the equation, you should see.

((11.9 / 12.0) - 1) x 100% = -0.8% STFT.

In your case....

((14.2 / 12.0) - 1) x 100% = +18.3% STFT.

If the latter is your case, then heres the situation. Your engine is running slightly towards the richer side of the stoichiometric Air/Fuel Ratio but not by any means considered safe for WOT. CMD AFR should be like 12-13 or something. You can't quote me on that but it should be some considerably lower # than 14.0. I can check mine under stock tune.

The reason your LTFT may appear normal is we dont drive to and from work like we are trying to win the Grand Prix. your not at 100% throttle all the time so you wouldnt see a big change in the LTFT. partial throttle AFR is still pretty much 14.7 for AFR CMD.

I dont think whether you had HPtuners vs looking at some data on the scan guage is going to help much more. HPtuners will give you a look at the air load tables and stuff etc.. Only means something if you have some decent exposure to tuning software before. There is a HPtuners forum where you could compare tables to see whats been changed but its like reading tea leaves for anyone new to the stuff. lol.

Hptuner data logging will tell you the same thing, + STFTs under load. If an O_2 sensor is inexpensive, i'd at least try that before buying HPtuners and teaching myself about tuning.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by firehawk618
Whatever the ecu is set to command is what it's trying to do. That is adjustable via the tune.

So for example if the car is commanding 12.0 afr at whatever load/throttle position but isn't seeing it that's where your STFT's come in. It's trying to do what it can to achieve 12.0.

Does that make sense?

I am going to suggest instead of throwing a bunch of parts at the car you pick up a HP tuners cable. Yeah they're a little spendy but worth every penny.

With that cable + laptop you can do some serious logging, post those logs here and we could be a bit more help.

With the scangauge it's great for instant info but it's very hard to sit there and stare at it while driving.
He's getting a rich code for the O2 sensor, if it's the primary then he should replace it before adjusting the tune. Normally you'll get rich or lean codes popping before the sensor completely fails. Plus they're like $70 and changing it won't hurt anything.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:47 PM

I am getting a rich code for the primary O2 sensor. Where did you find them for $70 ECaulk? AutoParts stores around me are asking $110 for them and I can't even find one online. Where did you find them for $70?
Old 11-13-2015, 07:10 PM

Amazon.com: ACDelco 213-4613 Professional Heated Oxygen Sensor: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 213-4613 Professional Heated Oxygen Sensor: Automotive
splash (11-13-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 08:36 PM

Under 100% acceleration, the cmd afr drops to 12.74 by redline. Just for info
splash (11-13-2015)

Quick Reply: P2195 and P2096 - 2009 LNF Sedan