2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

ZZP girdled block

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KangolRiot
They are installed now and the car is all together but is having tuning issues or who knows what. It took the machine shop 6 months to sleeve my block for who knows what reason. I can already tell you what I think of them now that I know about ZZP’s girdle block... The Darton Sleeve kit was a mistake as I lost a ton of money and could have had my car built a lot better and stronger for much less money if I were to have just bought ZZP’s Girdled Block. So save your money and buy the best (ZZP’s) and don’t waste your money with the sleeve kit. If this option from ZZP was available a year ago I would have been all over it.
I think I will follow your advice. Just the idea of 6 months with no car drives me crazy. I'm getting the full ZZP girdled forged block with both balancers and their head/cam combo. I'll just add to it the Supertech .5mm oversized inconel valves.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by 05Slowline
maybe once they stop shaking their head they'll have something to say
Lol who are you referring to?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AyrtonSenna
Oh, as far as my full build (complete forged block and head/cam combo) I've already spoken to ZZP about it. They made my mind clear and I know what to do. Just I was wondering if the sleeves and the girdle can go together. For the rest, I got it all clear
Nice, ok.

I'm still waiting to get a few more questions answered around extras I'll need to purchase to finish everything up, planned building/shipping times, and if that Stage 1 cam that comes with it has the fuel lobe or not (the cam page makes me lean no, but the block ordering page didn't have an option either way). Haven't gotten a call back from them today. I'll be trying again tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Stamina
Nice, ok.

I'm still waiting to get a few more questions answered around extras I'll need to purchase to finish everything up, planned building/shipping times, and if that Stage 1 cam that comes with it has the fuel lobe or not (the cam page makes me lean no, but the block ordering page didn't have an option either way). Haven't gotten a call back from them today. I'll be trying again tomorrow.
I hear you. I'm probably getting the fuel lobe with their kit, and the only thing that I will add is the Supertech inconel .5mm oversized valves
Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi all,
Since I'm getting the entire forged block from ZZP, I was wondering if the Darton sleeves can be installed in the girdled block
Thank you
kinda defeats the purpose of the girdled block and i doubt you can do both
Old 12-01-2011, 12:07 AM

Actually, the bigger fuel lobe is shown as an option on their combo for an extra $ 100
Old 12-01-2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by elecblue06
kinda defeats the purpose of the girdled block and i doubt you can do both
Then, my best regards to Mr. Darton, but I'm dropping the idea of getting their sleeves

BTW: when I get it, I'm getting the 2.1 block
Old 12-01-2011, 12:16 AM

Nice, ok.

What kind of answer are you waiting for from them?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:30 AM

Actually, the bigger fuel lobe is shown as an option on their combo for an extra $ 100
I sprung for the "Forged Performance Engine"/Longblock when they were running their Black Friday special, but the fuel lobe wasn't shown as an option when doing it that way and I wanted to see one way or the other. I was hoping for the lobe.

What kind of answer are you waiting for from them?
Just those three questions I mentioned.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:34 AM

So I guess the cat's pretty much out of the bag now, so I'll go ahead and give the basic details:

Girdled block
Wiseco pistons
ZZP 4340 rods
Neutral balance shafts
ATI balancer
Stage 1 ported head + springs and retainers
Stage 1 cams (hopefully with the fuel lobe... need to talk with them about that)

I bought it as the overall "Forged Performance Engine"/longblock kit they offer. I'm keeping it 2.0L though. Going to use the K04 for a while, and maybe switch to the EFR if/when it comes out. Basically wanted beefed-up reliability, while being able to rev it out for a larger turbo later.

I'm also going to put a beefier clutch in there while I've got everything out, so I've been gathering together my parts list for that as well.

Last edited by Stamina; 12-01-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:35 AM

This will be my build:
- ZZP girdled forged block 2.1
- Wiseco 88mm pistons
- Carrillo H-Beam rods
- ZZP neutral balance shaft
- ATI SFI turbo balancer
- ZZP ported head/stage 1 cam combo w/ ZZP valve springs 82#
- Supertech .5mm oversized inconel valves
- ZZP Stage 2 Transmission (still didn't decide it going with the 4.42 ratio or not)
- Driveshaftshop Level 5 axles

It should be done by the first half on 2013

Hope you guys like it
Old 12-01-2011, 12:37 AM

So I guess the cat's pretty much out of the bag now, so I'll go ahead and give the basic details:

Girdled block
Wiseco pistons
ZZP 4340 rods
Neutral balance shafts
ATI balancer
Stage 1 ported head + springs and retainers
Stage 1 cams (hopefully with the fuel lobe... need to talk with them about that)

I bought it as the overall "Forged Performance Engine"/longblock kit they offer. I'm keeping it 2.0L.
More or less we are getting the same stuff, just I'm getting the 2.1 set up with also the Carrillo rods and the stage 2 transmission
Old 12-01-2011, 12:40 AM

More or less we are getting the same stuff, just I'm getting the 2.1 set up with also the Carrillo rods and the stage 2 transmission
Yeah, you'll have to let me know how you like that tranny. The tranny is probably going to be an issue for me soon too. :/
Old 12-01-2011, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by 09sscalicobalt
are u asking us or zzp? lol zzp would know and damn you are balling lol
ballin' is an understatement
Old 12-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry, but we can't install our girdle with darton sleeves in the block. As far as installing new sleeves to add strength towards the bottom of the sleeves, it isn't necessary. The bottom of the sleeves is already supported in the block.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Matt M
Sorry, but we can't install our girdle with darton sleeves in the block. As far as installing new sleeves to add strength towards the bottom of the sleeves, it isn't necessary. The bottom of the sleeves is already supported in the block.
Hi Matt,
thank you for your reply. Yes looking around I've already decided to drop the sleeves. So, they are no longer my concern.
Did you look at my post above regarding my build? Can you give me your opinion about it? I'm not ordering the parts and have a local tuner do it, I will ship the car to you
BTW, I've got 2 calls from you guys today but I couldn't pick up at work. I hope someone will call me again tomorrow
Thank you.
Christian
Old 12-01-2011, 01:04 AM

Yeah, you'll have to let me know how you like that tranny. The tranny is probably going to be an issue for me soon too. :/
Once my car is built, you bet I will post all the pix and info about it
But it won't be for another year and a half. My build costs about 10k just in parts

Last edited by AyrtonSenna; 12-01-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:18 AM

Once my car is built, you bet I will post all the pix and info about it
But it won't be for another year and a half. My build costs about 10k just in parts
Wow, okay. I'm going to try to have mine up and running in a month or so. We'll see how well that works out. I've got a feeling I'm going to forget a part or two and am going to have to wait on it/them, slowing down progress, so I'm working to get the list of need-to-haves together now to hopefully avoid that.

I'll be able to maybe reuse some things off my old engine, but other things are either bad practice to reuse or those kinds of things that you might as well replace while you're there.

Last edited by Stamina; 12-01-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:20 AM

Wow, okay. I'm going to try to have mine up and running in a month or so. We'll see how well that works out. I've got a feeling I'm going to forget a part or two and am going to have to wait on it/them, slowing down progress, so I'm working to get the list of need-to-haves together now to hopefully avoid that.
Just a question: why are you going with ZZP rods?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:26 AM

Yup. They are well within the capability realm of what I'm needing.
Do you know what's the hp rating on them? Because I'm thinking to get the Carrillo, which are more than twice the price, and I was wondering the difference between the two.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:29 AM

Just a question: why are you going with ZZP rods?
Basically they are well within the realm of capability for what I'm needing. My car's not going to be a drag car or anything. It's been used as a spirited around town car and Road Course car. Even with the EFR, I'm not planning on taking it past the lower 400s probably. I just didn't see any justification for going more expensive on rods that didn't seem to offer any greater advantages for that power range.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:31 AM

Do you know what's the hp rating on them? Because I'm thinking to get the Carrillo, which are more than twice the price, and I was wondering the difference between the two.
That would be a question for ZZP. The 898whp run was done with ZZP rods if I remember right. I figure if they can do that without any damage to them, then running sub-450whp long term shouldn't be an issue. lol
Old 12-01-2011, 01:33 AM

Basically they are well within the realm of capability for what I'm needing. My car's not going to be a drag car or anything. It's been used as a spirited around town car and Road Course car. Even with the EFR, I'm not planning on taking it past the lower 400s probably. I just didn't see any justification for going more expensive on rods that didn't seem to offer any greater advantages for that power range.
So since I'm looking to be in the 600whp range, do you think the ZZP rods would be ok or I'm making the right choice with the Carrillos?

That would be a question for ZZP. The 898whp run was done with ZZP rods if I remember right. I figure if they can do that without any damage to them, then running sub-450whp long term shouldn't be an issue. lol
Wow interesting. Ok, I guess I'll ask Matt about it. Thank you

Last edited by AyrtonSenna; 12-01-2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-01-2011, 01:36 AM

So since I'm looking to be in the 600whp range, do you think the ZZP rods would be ok or I'm making the right choice with the Carrillos?
I couldn't answer that for you. That would be a ZZP question. Granted they made 898whp on the ZZP rods, but then there's that question around "yeah, but for how long". Undoubtedly you're paying a premium for the Carrillo name, but as far as engineered differences in the rods, I couldn't tell you, as I've never worked with them.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:38 AM

I couldn't answer that for you. That would be a ZZP question. Granted they made 898whp on the ZZP rods, but then there's that question around "yeah, but for how long". Undoubtedly you're paying a premium for the Carrillo name, but as far as engineered differences in the rods, I couldn't tell you, as I've never worked with them.
Thank you
I hope Matt chimes in again to clarify this for me.

Quick Reply: ZZP girdled block