2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

ZZP girdled block

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AyrtonSenna
Thank you
I hope Matt chimes in again to clarify this for me.
No problem man. Good luck on your build!
Old 12-01-2011, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you. I'm sure ZZP will do a great job. I will get all the parts entirely from them (other than the axles) and I will ship them the car to install everything. I'm sure their labor will be outstanding and that they will tune it at its best
Old 12-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Matt,
thank you for your reply. Yes looking around I've already decided to drop the sleeves. So, they are no longer my concern.
Did you look at my post above regarding my build? Can you give me your opinion about it? I'm not ordering the parts and have a local tuner do it, I will ship the car to you
BTW, I've got 2 calls from you guys today but I couldn't pick up at work. I hope someone will call me again tomorrow
Thank you.
Christian
Mod list looks good, but you will need some fuel system mods. Also, do you plan to run ethanol or gas?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would save your money and run the ZZP rods. We have tested them to more than enough whp. We wouldn't run them in our race engines or sell them to our customers if they were not up to the task at hand. We do a good amount of testing on our engine products before we release them to the public. You can sleep soundly knowing that our rods are in your engine. For example, we tested my car to 898whp and 54psi, no rod falure. I had a vac line come off at CED and the boost was well over 50psi and an afr that wasn't even close to safe. The block broke, the piston was in the bore sideways, the head was ruined, but the rod never broke. Go Fast Not Broke, buy ZZP
Old 12-01-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Matt M
Mod list looks good, but you will need some fuel system mods. Also, do you plan to run ethanol or gas?
Didn't decide yet. There is an E85 gas station by me, which I will probably use. Can we do a dual tune in case I decide to use 93 fuel pump for a period, expecially in the winter? As far as fuel mods, what do you need? Meth kit? Bigger injectors? I've also seen somebody saying that they have a 5th injector. Which one of the above would apply to me?

Originally Posted by Ryan@zzp
I would save your money and run the ZZP rods. We have tested them to more than enough whp. We wouldn't run them in our race engines or sell them to our customers if they were not up to the task at hand. We do a good amount of testing on our engine products before we release them to the public. You can sleep soundly knowing that our rods are in your engine. For example, we tested my car to 898whp and 54psi, no rod falure. I had a vac line come off at CED and the boost was well over 50psi and an afr that wasn't even close to safe. The block broke, the piston was in the bore sideways, the head was ruined, but the rod never broke. Go Fast Not Broke, buy ZZP
I know that your products are outstanding, but I'm really in love with Carrillos. Besides, saving $ 500 over a 10k build it doesn't make much difference. Just one thing: since I'm planning to make this car really extreme, how did you get 900whp??? What do you have to be able to run 54psi? I'm looking to make this car extreme because I have another LNF 2009 which I intend to keep just bolts-on and tuned, and this one I want to build it really crazy.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan@zzp
Zooomer already told me by sending me a PM that it is possible with no problem, but since you guys chimed in, I wanted to just double check this question.
Will the Supertech .5mm oversized inconel valves work correctly with your head/cam combo?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Former Vendor

Didn't decide yet. There is an E85 gas station by me, which I will probably use. Can we do a dual tune in case I decide to use 93 fuel pump for a period, expecially in the winter? As far as fuel mods, what do you need? Meth kit? Bigger injectors? I've also seen somebody saying that they have a 5th injector. Which one of the above would apply to me?
It will be easier to hit your power goals on Ethanol. Our 5th injector kit and fuel pump lobe along with an Aeromotive in-tank pump will support 600whp. You can run a larger 5th injector to push 650. Adding a boost reference on the in-tank pump could possibly get you to 700whp. Unless your car is less than 2500lbs race ready, that much power will destroy transmissions left and right. Plus, a 700whp 2.1 liter setup will not spool at <3500rpm like you are looking for. You'd be looking at a 62mm turbo minimum.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Former Vendor

Zooomer already told me by sending me a PM that it is possible with no problem, but since you guys chimed in, I wanted to just double check this question.
Will the Supertech .5mm oversized inconel valves work correctly with your head/cam combo?
They could be installed, but that doesn't necessarily mean more power. DI motors require more attention to detail in the intake ports and combustion chamber design to function properly.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jarhead
Where is the limit on the in tank pump hp wise Matt? And what hp can just the cam with fuel pump Lobe run for most that do not want to upgrade the in tank pump or run a 5th injector just zzp efr bolt on turbo on pump or E? That is where it seems confusing and where do you recommend the forged pistons then what hp level for those that do not want the expense of buying rods also? a list of where you recommend each upgrade would be great conservatively of course not written in stone to be safe that is not needed.
With our pump lobe and injection timing alterations, you can get to 525whp on gas, maybe a little more. Of course it depends on the RPM of the motor considering that the output from the hpfp increases with engine speed. Switching to E85, you are looking at more in the range of 475whp max. You can add our 5th injector to get a little further, but the in-tank pump won't get too much further. I would upgrade the in-tank pump on anything over 500whp on e85.

It's tough to put a recommendation on when to run forged pistons. The stock pistons will hold up fine at 600whp if you run good fuel and a reasonable tune. The further you stray from these conditions, the sooner you will need forged pistons.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:01 PM

imo oversized valves are not worth the money for the minimal results they would yield
Old 12-02-2011, 12:59 AM

It will be easier to hit your power goals on Ethanol. Our 5th injector kit and fuel pump lobe along with an Aeromotive in-tank pump will support 600whp. You can run a larger 5th injector to push 650. Adding a boost reference on the in-tank pump could possibly get you to 700whp. Unless your car is less than 2500lbs race ready, that much power will destroy transmissions left and right. Plus, a 700whp 2.1 liter setup will not spool at <3500rpm like you are looking for. You'd be looking at a 62mm turbo minimum.
What do you think the spooling time will be with a 62mm T/C? On this car I want to try to go for the extreme, the other one will be mild.

Originally Posted by zrated89
imo oversized valves are not worth the money for the minimal results they would yield
Well, they don't cost much compared to the whole cost of the build, so minus as well doing it, since the block will be opened
Old 12-02-2011, 04:01 AM

With our pump lobe and injection timing alterations, you can get to 525whp on gas, maybe a little more. Of course it depends on the RPM of the motor considering that the output from the hpfp increases with engine speed. Switching to E85, you are looking at more in the range of 475whp max. You can add our 5th injector to get a little further, but the in-tank pump won't get too much further. I would upgrade the in-tank pump on anything over 500whp on e85.

It's tough to put a recommendation on when to run forged pistons. The stock pistons will hold up fine at 600whp if you run good fuel and a reasonable tune. The further you stray from these conditions, the sooner you will need forged pistons.
525whp on gas and 475whp on e85?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:03 AM

Yes sorry Ayrton, He was answering some of my questions that is that with E needing more fuel the cutoff would be 475 to 500 Hp w/o needing an in tank pump upgrade, He was not saying that Gas makes more Hp than E! Where with gas the max would be about 525 or so max. W/O needing the in tank pump. The E will make a lot more than 525hp to a point then would require a 5th injector to go even further on the E for even higher Hp numbers all 3 fueling upgrades are required. In tank pump upgrade,Cams with lobe upgrade and a 5th injector.

Thanks for the info Matt M. that helped a lot and also the piston info.

Last edited by jarhead; 12-02-2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Former Vendor

What do you think the spooling time will be with a 62mm T/C? On this car I want to try to go for the extreme, the other one will be mild.
Depends on the exhaust housing and wheel, but most likely over 4000rpm before it does much at all.

Well, they don't cost much compared to the whole cost of the build, so minus as well doing it, since the block will be opened
The problem is that people often make their car worse while following the concept of "might as well do it right" or "what's the difference when I am already spending this much?"
Old 12-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Former Vendor

I'm just throwing some ball-park figures out there. It is different on every car and varies by what rpm you make peak power at.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm just throwing some ball-park figures out there. It is different on every car and varies by what rpm you make peak power at.
Fully built bottom end and top end with electric water pump and neutral balance shafts. What can the LNF rev out to safely? I personally was thinking ~9000rpm but then theres the issue of maybe the hpfp floating and being smacked around. Have you found ways around that issue such as a stronger return spring or upgraded hpfp? yet?
Old 12-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
Fully built bottom end and top end with electric water pump and neutral balance shafts. What can the LNF rev out to safely? I personally was thinking ~9000rpm but then theres the issue of maybe the hpfp floating and being smacked around. Have you found ways around that issue such as a stronger return spring or upgraded hpfp? yet?
With good valvesprings, you could rev out to 9000 rpm, but the problem is making power up there. Unfortunately, the cam phasing doesn't cooperate at RPMs that high.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With good valvesprings, you could rev out to 9000 rpm, but the problem is making power up there. Unfortunately, the cam phasing doesn't cooperate at RPMs that high.
Gotcha. Was wondering for those who wanna run large a/r turbos.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:43 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Thank you. I'm sure ZZP will do a great job. I will get all the parts entirely from them (other than the axles) and I will ship them the car to install everything. I'm sure their labor will be outstanding and that they will tune it at its best
Wise decision. Good luck with your build. I am sure it will be one special lnf once she's done.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:49 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

To do a 500 whp on pump gas - ported Stage 1 ported head and forged engine should do the trick and very reliable/safe DD?
Old 12-03-2011, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by blrt
Wise decision. Good luck with your build. I am sure it will be one special lnf once she's done.
Thank you. I'm sure it will become special. My other one will stay bolts-on for daily driving
Old 12-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by blrt
To do a 500 whp on pump gas - ported Stage 1 ported head and forged engine should do the trick and very reliable/safe DD?
500 on pump gas is tough. You would need an open exhaust for maximum efficiency. Both your cat and recirc watsegate would be serious restrictions at that power level. Ported head would help, and forged pistons would add a safety margin, but a 500whp pump gas lnf would be pushed pretty hard to get there.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Premium Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My head is done except for the cams. I cleaned up the intake port and smoothed out the short turn radius under the valves without taking out too much material and smoothed out the castings. Hope to have everything I need by March. Being a jobber helps a lot.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mongorat427
My head is done except for the cams. I cleaned up the intake port and smoothed out the short turn radius under the valves without taking out too much material and smoothed out the castings. Hope to have everything I need by March. Being a jobber helps a lot.
There is a sharp break in the intake port. It's easy to take out and produces large CFM gains on the test bench. Unfortunately this doesn't translate into real world performance. If you rounded it out, you might at well throw the heads in the trash and start over.

It's generally not a good idea to do something unless it's needed and tested. Anything you do that's outside of what people are already doing and having success with opens the door for performance issues and less reliability. Trust me, there's a reason we do things exactly as we do. Many of our customers say 'I want to do what you guys did...except add XXX' and there is pretty much a 100% track record of that not working out so well in 10+yrs of us doing it.
We've spent and easy 200k getting to where we are now with just the LNF. You can do that 200k of work for less than 10k now because we know what to do. To 'try something else' be prepared to spend insane amounts of $ if you really want to blaze a new trail.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:51 PM

so many people on here dont understand that though. Young guys with too much parents monies

Quick Reply: ZZP girdled block