2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

2.4 Malibu LSJ swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its just a full wiring harness to do the swap, nothing to big at all. just sayin.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06_ion2
I just dont see this swap ever happening. Even modding a 2.2 was a pitta.
Thanks for the help in the final decision of my build. I have a 06 that needs help and was gonna build the motor a little but after seeing this i doubt it
Old 01-18-2012, 01:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bogalusahondakiller
Thanks for the help in the final decision of my build. I have a 06 that needs help and was gonna build the motor a little but after seeing this i doubt it
Well if you do it yourself its not so bad, ive spent too much to have a shop install my motor. But honestly the only thing that makes me a little mad is the lack of tuning. My car is missing a easy 50hp from a real tune, it sucks.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by 06_ion2
Well if you do it yourself its not so bad, ive spent too much to have a shop install my motor. But honestly the only thing that makes me a little mad is the lack of tuning. My car is missing a easy 50hp from a real tune, it sucks.
I just need to find a program to tune with. Wouldn't be a ***** out built car just something to okay around with. Everyone I've asked said the 06 2.2 Malibus aren't supported
Old 01-18-2012, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gtftw
Well lets put it this way he is getting the whole lsj car for 1700 dollars so let the debate go on...and lsj would be a better platform than le5 so unless you can build the le5 for less than 2000 i dont see built motor any cheaper..
Uh. So. You think the cost of parts = total cost?

so now you guys are saying build the motor build the transmission and then boost it..there is noway its achieved for under 6k dollars
I don't see this "swap" being completed for less than that either. Transmission is going to be the worst. I wouldn't be surprised to see final costs over $10k.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
Uh. So. You think the cost of parts = total cost?

I don't see this "swap" being completed for less than that either. Transmission is going to be the worst. I wouldn't be surprised to see final costs over $10k.
Name one more thing ill need to purchase? Just one!!!!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:20 AM

are you serious.....
Old 01-19-2012, 04:41 AM

^^^ lol right, little **** like connectors and wiring theres a lot of small stuff that you overlook until your actually in the process
Old 01-19-2012, 05:25 AM

Ok guys, here is the deal. I came here looking to know what i would run in to and looking for help as to what kinda things I'm gonna need to know but almost all of you have been nothing but degrading, negative, and all around worthless in assisting me. I appreciate the few who have attempted in assisting and supporting me and I will be sure to post the final product and prices to show you guys that being built, not bought, doesn't just mean buying a slobalt and paying someone to do it, but actually getting your own creamy lotiony hands greasy and having to do the work and fabrication yourself.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:37 AM

ya im sure itll be a fun build. and like stated before by someone anything is possible jus takes time and money. im sure you can do it especially with how much it seems you want to do it, thats 75% of the job is having the drive to do it. most of the ppl replying jus dnt see the reasoning of chopping up a 3 year old car and putting an lsj in it, i kno ur getting it free or whatever but most see this swap as a money wasting project jus in the way that your putting a 200hp motor in a heavier car and doing a lot of work to do it... but like you said youll have the only one, and theres a reason for that
Old 01-19-2012, 06:41 AM

granted it is different. but obviously itll take alot of work and planning. to some the build is what a car is for, to have a hobby. but to most doing a motor swap is for power or reliability. with this swap will it be fast? handle well? look good? not really any of those its jus different and thats why mos of these ppl are hating, but do what you want thats why we live in america
Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 AM

Axles?

Brakes?

Electrical? There are for sure going to be some custom harnesses involved.

Interested in hearing your plans for a BCM solution as well.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:33 AM

Honestly, to all the naysayers, I wouldn't doubt that this swap is going to happen. He has the means, the know-how, the determination, and plenty of people to help him.

In my post, I wasn't trying to be discouraging, just trying to be helpful, my main fears with this swap are that the wiring is going to be an absolute nightmare in this new of a car, and that the trans will have a difficult time staying together with the extra weight of the car.

That said, when the parts are this cheap, I don't see how he could pass up the opportunity to try it out, just because the idea is frightening to some.

If I was him I'd just put the m62 on the LE5, but I'm not him, so it's whatever.

Just remember Cole, whatever you do, I'll port your cylinder heads for free since I know you! lol
Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 AM

~$300 in electrical connectors
$500 crimping tool for those connectors
welding rod
Old 01-19-2012, 01:29 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
As said above, the wiring is the problem. You will have to do some serious rigging to make it work, and you will never have a nice OEM setup. I'd suggest using a VVT motor so you can maintain the stock PCM and harness. Will make more power anyway. You can still do the trans swap, the PCM won't like not having an auto to control but you can work around that. As long as it has the VSS input it will survive.

Do agree with the consensus here that the LSJ trans will struggle with the much heavier car, but you seem dead set on it so i'm sure you will figure it out.

Swapping backwards to the LSJ setup will require either swapping ALL the harnesses/computers from the cobalt, which will cause you to lose a lot of BCM functions in the malibu, or a lot of hacking to make the LSJ work with the stock harness/computer.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
As said above, the wiring is the problem. You will have to do some serious rigging to make it work, and you will never have a nice OEM setup. I'd suggest using a VVT motor so you can maintain the stock PCM and harness. Will make more power anyway. You can still do the trans swap, the PCM won't like not having an auto to control but you can work around that. As long as it has the VSS input it will survive.

Do agree with the consensus here that the LSJ trans will struggle with the much heavier car, but you seem dead set on it so i'm sure you will figure it out.

Swapping backwards to the LSJ setup will require either swapping ALL the harnesses/computers from the cobalt, which will cause you to lose a lot of BCM functions in the malibu, or a lot of hacking to make the LSJ work with the stock harness/computer.
I don't think the weight will be as big of a problem as people think. Keep in mind the F35 came from the Saab 9-3 and it's only about 150 lbs lighter than the Malibu. I'd worry most about the axles since those are the weakest link, but those aren't going to be a direct swap-in anyway.

Wiring and BCM will be a total nightmare.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 AM

Well, I'm officially a jackass. Lol. This guy decided he wasn't going to attempt this swap in any way shape or form, not even supercharging the 2.4. He even turned down buying the super cheap parts car. Wish I had the funds to buy this car and swap the lsj and some interior parts into my 61 biscayne.