2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

2006 ss sc advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ss sc advice

hey all,

i am looking at an 06 ss sc with 45000 kms for 9000$$. this car was in an accident at 15000 kms but the dealership says they have no info other then it was a 10000$$ payout. other then that it looks to be in perfect condition has magnaflow exhaust, dealer says no sounds or clunks anywhere. i havent taken it for a testdrive yet because its about 200 km away lol.i am not a car expert but i can do all the basic backyard mechanic work IE oil changes, brake work, stereo work, basic body work, change belts etc... i am going from a 1991 2.2l toyota celica gts to a cobalt ss sc for sure i just need to make sure im not gunna have any major problems. it does come with factory warranty and the option of extended.

here is the message i got from the dealership with the car:

The powertrain is easily the best part about this car: it pulls hard, clutch action is smooth, and the shifting is slick. I have no doubts that the engine and driveline are solid and completely recommendable. The exhaust (Magnaflow) sounds great and tops off a very nice driving experience.

The suspension and (4-wheel disc) brakes feel good and tight; no problems there. The e-brake could use some adjustment (has to pulled up farther than I’d expect), but it works fine.

The previous owner had an aftermarket stereo (JVC head unit) put in, and the car would be a good candidate for a custom system: the rear speakers are either non-functional or missing, and the front tweeters are also missing. The power windows, mirrors, and sunroof are all fine, but the AC doesn’t blow as cold as I would expect – it may need a recharge. The seats are all in good shape, and feel fantastic (Recaros, of course).

The exterior is, as you’ve seen in the pictures, in pretty good shape: maybe a few rough edges where a body kit was probably installed previously, but generally solid and nothing that jumps out from more than 10 feet away. It could very well be that the claim amount covered damage to both the front and rear, as both ends surely used to have body kit bumper covers, but now have original style bumpers/hood/trunk lid.

what should i look out for when going to drive it???
what are the usual problems that occur in a 06 cobalt??

thank you
Old 10-21-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no speakers or tweeters? thats gay haha
the ebrake thing is common as mine is like that or its from alot of burnouts with the ebrake locked

probably not tho

u have to drive it to be sure, u should be set based off the start up
Old 10-21-2010, 12:16 PM

my ONLY worry about this car is the fact its already been in an accident and theres no info about the work done to the car after the accident or i would be jumpin in days ago
Old 10-21-2010, 12:20 PM

why would the dealership ever say anything bad about the car?

it sounds like, previous owner modified it, and modified cars usually get beat on.

i would not pay 9k for a car that was in an accident.

if you want it real bad id talk the price down, or get the things fixed that needed to get fixed, new tires, brakes, speakers, and the a/c recharged.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:38 PM

Keep resale in mind. If you buy it cheaper because of a prior accident you're not going to have to sell it cheaper when the time comes, unless you keep the buyer in the dark. Good Luck with the car.