2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

2008 Cobalt SS is Turbocharged. the proof is in....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
umm if you read that article it says the 2.0 ecotec is being replaced with a hairdryer.... that's about all i can make out form that scan you made
Old 05-25-2006, 06:10 PM

By '08 there will already be a twin-screw sc swap out for our cars, those things can push like 30 psi. That plus a good set of pistons and a new head gasket, and mabey some cams, you could make 400 to the wheels. Thus being able to beat an '08 cobalt at just half throttle.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:13 PM

One thing that should be known about the current Opel Astra, is that its 2.0 turbo only puts out 200 hp. It's not the same exact powerplant as in the Solstice / Sky. Whether or not that'll change before it becomes a Saturn in the US, I don't know.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC
Tofu - Chrysler sells alot of PTturbo's , why give them all that . I guess a HHR-t woulda been more proper than slapping a SS badge on it though .
Ah! You're absolutely right about that I forgot about the PT Turbo lol, let me take my foot out of my mouth.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:20 PM
p7x

now a turbo WTF..... not clue but when 2008 rolls around My lease will be up and I could trade. Or keep the S/C and buy an EVO .
Old 05-25-2006, 10:41 PM

Fuckk.. I'd have some tough decisions to make. I really would like to trade in and get something new in 08.. Will that burn a huge hole in my pocket or would it be only a few grand more?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSonOfS.A.M.
If the artical is true it is probably the same engine that is going in the Solstice GXP/ Sky Redline. A turbo 2.0 Ecotech , w/vvt and direct injection, rated at . . . 260hp, I like that setup over whats offered right now. It is also the same engine that was in the Opel Speedster turbo, a mid-engine set up. Its been around. Got to remember Dodge just annunced the SRT4 Caliber 300HP turbo'd DOHC 2.4L FWD. Just so long as it didn't overlap into the Camaro's I don't see why not.
I don not believe that those are the same engines. The Opel Turbo Roadster made 200 HP and did not feature direct injection or VVT. The New Opel Turbo (a.k.a. Saturn Sky Redline) will have the 2.0L Turbo. The first vehicle from GM to get this new motor is the Pontiac Solstice, second will be the Saturn Sky Redline and at the same time Europe's version of it, the Opel Turbo.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:03 AM

If GM wants they can make a Turbo Coblat happen pretty easy. Its hardly a major challenge...
Old 05-26-2006, 12:06 AM

I guess I could believe this article. Part of me questions it though since they claim the "Ion Redline" will get it too. If this magazine came out just recently, they should have known that the Ion was toast after this year. That was announced almost two months ago. That suggest to me that they have been misinformed.

As for the motor fitting, yes it is possible. The mounting of the turbo, and associated ducting needs to be modified. I would a assume a few parts here and there will allow it to fit. I have said before, that work would need to be done to transversley mount the engine in our car, but I am sure if this is happeneing in 2008, GM has plenty of time to work out new parts to make it fit. I would expect the current clutch and transmission to be fine with a 260 HP engine. The build book says they are good to 300 HP. Despite a few claims about clutch problems, I still can't find anything wrong with them. Most people with problems can't drive their car properly (and wont admit it...sorry, but it is true).

I wonder if the competition has driven GM to think about upping their game? The Mazdaspeed 3 (250 HP), Caliber SRT-4 (300HP, albiet 300 lbs heavier) and the new 2007 Mini Cooper (which will now be turbo, NOT supercharged) means that GM needs a turbocharged car to compete. I was hoping they would just add VVT and direct injection to our engine and keep running the supercharged setup. Those mods with the same boost as the turbo 2.0L would easily make 260 HP! I think I hear the 2.0L turbo puts out like 18 pounds of boost stock! A stock LSJ running that much boost is good for 230 HP!

Also, I would imagine a stage II 2.0L supercharged would have about the same power as the 2.0L turbo. The new turbo 2.0L is rated on the new SAE system, whereas the LSJ and staged kits are on the old. Most GM cars recieved more power on the new system. So the 240 HP from stage II may actually be closer to the 260 HP of the 2.0L Turbo. That turbo has some pretty insane low end torque though!

If it happens, I may consider trading my car in for a 2008. Should be paid off by then. The FWD car will be better than a RWD Camaro in the winter. We'll see come 2008!
Old 05-26-2006, 02:08 AM

GM already has a 2.0L Tubro in Saab 93 and the Opel Astra (which is the German sister to the Cobalt). I wouldn't be surprised if they do switch to a turbo. And yes the Ion is gone after this year. But there is a rumor GM is going to bring the Opel over to the US. If they do switch to a turbo. I may have to trade mine it too. There's just so much you can do with the turbo'd engine and the blow off valves just sound so good.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:29 AM

OH MY GOODIES.

Seriously... just wait... It will not happen. GM is too deep in problems to be worrying about changing the Cobalt SS's motor to boost sales. Thank you goodbye. You can all quote this post when the 2008 cobalts come out and there will be no turbo. Then I'll say told you so. That is all.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:11 AM

GM is already making the LSJ turbo, it did 11's there is a write up on it @ GM perf. division
Old 05-26-2006, 03:31 AM

thank you, Mercury.....
Old 05-26-2006, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mercury
OH MY GOODIES.

Seriously... just wait... It will not happen. GM is too deep in problems to be worrying about changing the Cobalt SS's motor to boost sales. Thank you goodbye. You can all quote this post when the 2008 cobalts come out and there will be no turbo. Then I'll say told you so. That is all.
So GM will not update any engines because they have too many problems t worry about? Best thing for GM to do is spend money. Come out with great new products and increasing qaulity.

In the grand scheme of things--putting a turbo in the Cobalt is not a big deal for them--its replacing an old engine, with a newer one. Of course they could update the LSJ....maybe.

Its not about boosting sales...just updating the Cobalt. They cannot let it get so stale like the Cavalier. It would also simplify their engine line up a little.

Bringing a new car to market cots alot more then putting a newer engine in a car--and they still rollout new cars.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:16 AM

See the thing that makes the Cobalt SS so special is the supercharger... Everything is turbocharged. Also only a 3 year run with a supercharger? Unlikely. Just doesn't make any sense that after 3 years, GM would completely change the drivetrain in the car. Keep in mind how many things would needed to be changed/made to have the 260hp turbo motor... Completely new transmission to handle the power, a standard limited slip for that transmission, possible frame modifications to fit the motor...

I think the only thing you might see on the 2008 Cobalt SS/SC is variable valve timing and a slight increase in horsepower.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mercury
See the thing that makes the Cobalt SS so special is the supercharger... Everything is turbocharged. Also only a 3 year run with a supercharger? Unlikely. Just doesn't make any sense that after 3 years, GM would completely change the drivetrain in the car. Keep in mind how many things would needed to be changed/made to have the 260hp turbo motor... Completely new transmission to handle the power, a standard limited slip for that transmission, possible frame modifications to fit the motor...

I think the only thing you might see on the 2008 Cobalt SS/SC is variable valve timing and a slight increase in horsepower.
Transmission in the SC is capable for 300hp, i can see a new clutch but not a whole different tranny. LSD is already there see G85 package. And considering its still a 2.0 ecotec and all ecotecs share the same engine mounting points in the Cobalt, it should be fairly similar if not the same. They changed if for the Solstice, 2.4 to a 2.0T, shouldn't be difficult for the Cobalt. Ever since GM came out with the ecotecs they have been putting new technology on each one, standard 2.2, then the first factory boosted I4 the 2.0 supercharged and then 2.4 w/ vvt, and this was all built up to stuff all the research and knowledge they gained into the Direct injection, vvt, 2.0T that you see today. Think of it as building blocks. And considering the 2.0 SC is in one model, Cobalt SS/SC, it won't stay around for long. It would cost alot more for GM to re-design the 2.0SC for vvt then put in a newer more advanced motor that already has it into the Cobalt.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:24 AM

Supercharged Screw Turbo Thats What Makes It A Chevy Still!
Old 05-26-2006, 03:26 PM

I was wrong about the Opel Speedster Turbo, just sharing info I read in a magzine (Hot Rod maybe?).
As for Opel replacing Saturn it's true, Bob Lutz was quoted on it in this months RPM magazine. It's another cost cutting move on GM, to effectivly cut out Saturn design and engineering. End result, rebadge Opels as Saturns.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:45 AM

260hp sounds nice... lets just hope they dont make the same mistake dodge did = p
Old 05-27-2006, 11:29 AM

How much torque is it producing? torque moves the car...
Old 05-27-2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Killjoy32
How much torque is it producing? torque moves the car...
260lbs-ft That matches Dodges 2.4L Turbo

Sure you can mod the S/C SS and it couold beat a stock 2.0 Turbo. But stock for stock the 2.0 Turbo would be a noticeably faster.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:44 AM

Ummmmmm... let me see if I understand this. "GM has to update the Cobalt!!!" Wait a minute, don't you realize that the Cobalt SS/SC is making up an extremely small fraction of the total Cobalt sales? So for GM to make any massive changes to the SS that they don't make to the whole Cobalt family is just stupid on their part and waste their money.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:47 AM

id say they offer 2 ss and drop the 2.4, or call it something else

SS supercharged and SS Turbocharged
Old 05-27-2006, 11:49 AM

hmmm My ls smart buy ends in 08
Old 05-27-2006, 12:39 PM

I'm with Mercury......I don't think this will happen. First off the LNF is longitudaly as opposed to the transversly mounted LSJ. That is a problem. Then you have to make room by either redesigning the engine bay or coming up with new parts such as IC piping and whatnot to make a turbo set up fit. I think it's just gonna be too much work. Remember the LSJ was basically a mutt constructed from various parts from GM's parts bin, so it was fairly cheap to build. Nobody can say for sure but I think and hope that the LSJ continues on as it is. Perhaps with some updates along the way such as VVT or a displacement increase........who knows. As far as the ION goes, we know that it's done. That means that it's up to you Cobalt guys to carry on the legacy of the LSJ and fight the good fight. Us that already have RL's will be right beside ya

Quick Reply: 2008 Cobalt SS is Turbocharged. the proof is in....