2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

2008 Cobalt SS is Turbocharged. the proof is in....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i see alot of trade in the future
Old 05-27-2006, 01:31 PM

I don't see anything but design changes for the next few years, nothing performance-wise
Old 05-27-2006, 01:33 PM

The 2008 Cobalt SS will have a 2.0L direct injection turbo engine. It is the same engine used in the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline. It has 260hp and 260lb/ft of torque.

Hope this at least satifies some of your mechanical curiosities. As for appearance, I don't know yet.

I work for GM, so I see experimental vehicles and get info on upcoming vehicles way before the public. I don't mind leaking a little for CobaltSS.net

See this link: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/2008-cobalt-ss-sc-2-0-a-20333/
Old 05-27-2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon97Z
Transmission in the SC is capable for 300hp

no matter what the specs are thats complete bullshit ask anyone who has blown one and they will tell you
Old 05-27-2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by *TRIX*
no matter what the specs are thats complete bullshit ask anyone who has blown one and they will tell you
Exactly! MAYBE the trans could possibly (yeah right). But definitely not the clutch.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mercury
See the thing that makes the Cobalt SS so special is the supercharger... Everything is turbocharged. Also only a 3 year run with a supercharger? Unlikely. Just doesn't make any sense that after 3 years, GM would completely change the drivetrain in the car. Keep in mind how many things would needed to be changed/made to have the 260hp turbo motor... Completely new transmission to handle the power, a standard limited slip for that transmission, possible frame modifications to fit the motor...

I think the only thing you might see on the 2008 Cobalt SS/SC is variable valve timing and a slight increase in horsepower.
There is also something else to realize.....although the supercharger is what makes the ss special it's not what most people want. Unfortunately most people want turbo's with their 4 bangers....gm has already spent a ton of money putting this new2.0T in the solstice, sky redline...and when the opel astra comes over to replace the ion....it'll most likely be in for the "redline version". So GM will be running these motors in several different models....the lsj........wait only the cobalt. As much as I like the ss/sc......I dont see why everyone doesnt believe that it wouldnt be switched over. Why would GM keep building the ss/sc for only a small amount of sales. It may doing well in some places...but I can tell you in New England...there is a ton of ss/sc's for sale...and no one buying them. The cobalt will obviously be updated soon and with the mazdaspeed3 and caliber srt4 coming out soon....the ss/sc could lose even more sales. Only time will tell what's gonna happen....even though I agree it doesnt make sense to make the ss/sc for a couple of years.....GM needs to do whatever it takes to make sales to save its company. Another thing that sucks for all you ss/sc owners is if this does happen...it'll kill your market support....if tuners hear the cobalt goes turbo....expect a big support for them.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by snowcrash
I just heard from a good source that knows a guy that knew a dude who's dog's went to obedience school together and he said that the 2010 Cobalt SS will have a warp core drive and a flux capacitor all wheel drive, rear wheel drive and front wheel drive via wheel locks and heads up display and optional rocket boosters. Aftermarket parts will include a Turbo to Supercharger swap as well.
lmao!
Old 05-28-2006, 02:55 PM

the opel astra the ion will be based off of has a smaller wheelbase, front track, and width than the cobalt. so i'm not even sure the sky/solstice 2.0t would fit in the 2007 ion. but it would be cool.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by JCswoosher2
I was readingthe brand new GM High Tech performance and on page 10 it says. that the 260 hp turbocharged engine will be going into the 2008 Cobalt SS and Redline. Go check it out yourself. Its a small paragraph right up. but all i can say about it is DAMNIT!!!!
I should have waited. A Turbo'ed Cobalt SS will whip a Superchargered SS. IMO
Turbo kit is available for the Cobalt from Hahn. I'll stick with the S/C for now. I can make all the power I need with it. I do like turbo's as well though.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mi6_
I guess I could believe this article. Part of me questions it though since they claim the "Ion Redline" will get it too. If this magazine came out just recently, they should have known that the Ion was toast after this year. That was announced almost two months ago. That suggest to me that they have been misinformed.

As for the motor fitting, yes it is possible. The mounting of the turbo, and associated ducting needs to be modified. I would a assume a few parts here and there will allow it to fit. I have said before, that work would need to be done to transversley mount the engine in our car, but I am sure if this is happeneing in 2008, GM has plenty of time to work out new parts to make it fit. I would expect the current clutch and transmission to be fine with a 260 HP engine. The build book says they are good to 300 HP. Despite a few claims about clutch problems, I still can't find anything wrong with them. Most people with problems can't drive their car properly (and wont admit it...sorry, but it is true).

I wonder if the competition has driven GM to think about upping their game? The Mazdaspeed 3 (250 HP), Caliber SRT-4 (300HP, albiet 300 lbs heavier) and the new 2007 Mini Cooper (which will now be turbo, NOT supercharged) means that GM needs a turbocharged car to compete. I was hoping they would just add VVT and direct injection to our engine and keep running the supercharged setup. Those mods with the same boost as the turbo 2.0L would easily make 260 HP! I think I hear the 2.0L turbo puts out like 18 pounds of boost stock! A stock LSJ running that much boost is good for 230 HP!

Also, I would imagine a stage II 2.0L supercharged would have about the same power as the 2.0L turbo. The new turbo 2.0L is rated on the new SAE system, whereas the LSJ and staged kits are on the old. Most GM cars recieved more power on the new system. So the 240 HP from stage II may actually be closer to the 260 HP of the 2.0L Turbo. That turbo has some pretty insane low end torque though!

If it happens, I may consider trading my car in for a 2008. Should be paid off by then. The FWD car will be better than a RWD Camaro in the winter. We'll see come 2008!

i didnt read your post, it was too long but i love your sig! the city looks beautiful! you can even see the pollution. amazing picture.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mercury
See the thing that makes the Cobalt SS so special is the supercharger... Everything is turbocharged. Also only a 3 year run with a supercharger? Unlikely. Just doesn't make any sense that after 3 years, GM would completely change the drivetrain in the car. Keep in mind how many things would needed to be changed/made to have the 260hp turbo motor... Completely new transmission to handle the power, a standard limited slip for that transmission, possible frame modifications to fit the motor...

I think the only thing you might see on the 2008 Cobalt SS/SC is variable valve timing and a slight increase in horsepower.
GM is changing though. Look at the ION. It's sales suck, and it's going bye bye, they're not waiting around to throw money at the ION to make it a product that customers will buy, they're just dumping it and replacing it with the Opel.

They seem to be taking a more proactive attitude towards their car lines these days. And they have repeatedly promised that they would not EVER let another car make/model last as long as the Cavelier did.

The problem with this is that if they keep changing stuff around too drastically, they will never be able to build up a decent aftermarket.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:09 PM
Banned

the ion is being replaced with the EVOKE not the opel.. well at least the redline version. I mean the sedan version may be, but the tuner version is suposed to be different, and may come with AWD.

Also the tubo engine they speak of is the same one they are using in the sky reline and the solstice ss. It wont be used in the cobalt, that make the whole design of the lsj useless.

The main rumor u should be talking about is if they will up the engine to the 2.4 supercharged, like the concept motor they had in the cobalt they had at all the car shows this summer.

You guys should keep in mind, that gm has posseesed a 2.0t all this time regardless, in the 9-3 aero saab. So its not like they have to go out and completely redesign if this is the case.

Also, the Ion's sales suck do to lack of production, and lack of press coverage. I mean seriously, when was the lasttime u saw a commercial with the redline in it?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by mattyfinch
the ion is being replaced with the EVOKE not the opel..
It has long been known that the GREAT looking original Saturn concept was shelved . Reason .....Ion wont be made at Spring hill anymore , and Lordstown with the addition of the US Pontiac G5 will not be able to handle another model . Where does the new Ion go .....its already been confirmed The Opel is the new Ion ....its not a rumor anymore .

The main rumor u should be talking about is if they will up the engine to the 2.4 supercharged, like the concept motor they had in the cobalt they had at all the car shows this summer.
The 2.4 is not gonna be Supercharged or Turbocharged
Old 05-28-2006, 09:48 PM

i knew its going to be a turbo,,,now all i what to see is how will it look like?
,,,,that 2.0 turbo engine will attract the aftermarket!
Old 05-28-2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by BullDog71ss
They are making an SS vette though. It's been in the works for a while now. Should have over 650 hp or so.

I can also see GM making the change to the turbo setup because of how much more power can be had. It's also much easier to add more power to a turbo car than a s/c car and i think GM might be making the change the tuner market. Which is nice to see an automotive company do. Also the next Cobalt SS also needs to be rwd or at least awd. No more of this fwd bullshit.
i wonder what will happen to the zo6?,,,,but i sure wish gm makes the cobalt a rwd!
Old 05-28-2006, 10:15 PM

I sure hope a turbocharged cobalt ss does come out i wouldnt mind the extra boost in power, id buy it, secondly the corvette ss is a reality its been for a couple years now... look up the "blue devil corvette" it is currently in testing... yes its a supercharged corvette with 600 +hp this is supposed to be GM's supercar well above 100 grand , earliest we may see this corvette is in late 2007 and rumour has it, that it will be announced by gm in late 2006, only time will tell that vette will be SICK
Old 05-28-2006, 10:59 PM

When The 2.0 Turbo Ss Comes Out The Aftermarket Will Grow Way Faster Then It Is Now,,,,once It Comes Out Gm(chevy) Will Be One Of The Best Car Tuners In The Market
Old 05-28-2006, 11:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't wait to go to the dealership, see this car in person, sit in the drivers seat, fire it up and chirp every gear all the way up the on-ramp. I hope this is lajit!
Old 05-28-2006, 11:20 PM

Also, the Ion's sales suck do to lack of production, and lack of press coverage. I mean seriously, when was the lasttime u saw a commercial with the redline in it?
Ion sales suck because it got slammed hard by car rag reviews. GM decided early on they weren't going to waste the $$$ on marketing a car that wasn't going anywhere, hence, no marketing.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by memphisr24
I like my supercharger thank you. 260 does sound nice though. I wonder what kind of clutch they are going to use? If it's the same clutch we have right now...HA....I would not be surprised.
turbo can make alot more power, i love my charger to but id go turbo if i wasnt going for the fastest jbody with the gm charger record which is 13.1
Old 05-29-2006, 12:50 AM

it might happen, but dont rely on it. Car companies always talk about doing things by a certain year, but never end up doing it. The new gtr from nissan was suppsoed to come out like 3 years ago and the 2007 v6 stang was going to be a dohc 3.5 with 250hp to compete with the new camaro v6 that is coming out, but it just didnt happen. you can hope, but never rely on someones word when they are just out there to try to make money. nothing is proven until it happens. Ever.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by jokieman
Ion sales suck because it got slammed hard by car rag reviews. GM decided early on they weren't going to waste the $$$ on marketing a car that wasn't going anywhere, hence, no marketing.

i am not trying to be an ass, and please don't take this offensively, but the redline just doesnt appeal to very many people. It has alot of cool features and a very different look, but that look just doesnt appeal to many. i think it is pretty cool and it really stands out, but many people think it is ugly, and most people don't just buy a car for performance.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:54 AM

the ion is being replaced with the EVOKE not the opel.. well at least the redline version. I mean the sedan version may be, but the tuner version is suposed to be different, and may come with AWD.

Also the tubo engine they speak of is the same one they are using in the sky reline and the solstice ss. It wont be used in the cobalt, that make the whole design of the lsj useless.

You guys should keep in mind, that gm has posseesed a 2.0t all this time regardless, in the 9-3 aero saab. So its not like they have to go out and completely redesign if this is the case.

dude they are never going to call a model an opel...gm owns the company opel. That's like ford calling a new mazda the mazda ford.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
it might happen, but dont rely on it. Car companies always talk about doing things by a certain year, but never end up doing it. The new gtr from nissan was suppsoed to come out like 3 years ago and the 2007 v6 stang was going to be a dohc 3.5 with 250hp to compete with the new camaro v6 that is coming out, but it just didnt happen. you can hope, but never rely on someones word when they are just out there to try to make money. nothing is proven until it happens. Ever.

True. same goes for the Supra
Old 05-29-2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by charged_sunfire
turbo can make alot more power, i love my charger to but id go turbo if i wasnt going for the fastest jbody with the gm charger record which is 13.1
This is true, turbo generally makes power CHEAPER, but to say it makes alot more power ehh...it's true again but kinda misleading, as it leads to the thinking that "turbo > supercharger". There's always a tradeoff, turbo's have more potential issues then superchargers. Boost leaks, hoses blowing off, all the extra heat created, turbo lag (yes, to make a LOT Of power you're going to want to put a larger turbo on there, which means you will have some lag). Look at S3 for the SRT..what's included in it? a new Turbo, Larger turbo = more turbo lag. Look at cars like the high HP supra's, I've seen videos where cars are ahead of them for a good while until the turbo's spool up and then they take off like a rocketship...this is fun for the kick in the ass feeling...but for a daily driver? no thanks.

Before you max out the stock supercharger you're going to need to replace some engine internals anyway, I believe this is right around the 300hp point. Not to mention some people have mentioned axels breaking and things of this nature before the 300hp mark. The supercharger isn't what's holding this car back, and when it comes to the point that it is, you would have to modify (see intense stage kits) or replace it with a larger(or more efficient) S/C. I'm in no way saying superchargers don't have drawbacks, they do but I can't for the life of me figure out why everyone wants a turbo...if it's to beat SRT-4's their turbo isn't the only reason they're faster, they also have .4l more displacement. Dodge had to make some comprimises that affect comfort / Daily driving pleasure to make that car as fast as it is...to sum it all up. You shoulda just bought an SRT-4 if all you wanted was a really fast car.

edit: If Turbo's were outright superior to Superchargers, they'd be used on pro drag cars...but they're not, I wonder why that is? I realize our cars have nothing to do with pro drag cars, but neither does a turbo vs supercharger argument.

Quick Reply: 2008 Cobalt SS is Turbocharged. the proof is in....