2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

2008 Cobalt SS is Turbocharged. the proof is in....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by an0malous
so you sold an 07 cobalt, cuz you didnt want your car to be buried in the competition....
and you bought one that got buried 2 years ago....

genius.

if you didnt want a car thats buried. you should have bought a MS3 or a GTI or waited for the SRT4 caliber.
what are you talking about? Performance wise srt-4>gti and right now since mazda's aftermarket is in the *******, srt-4>ms3. Maybe not cosmetically, interior, ride quality, or anything that most people at least somewhat care about, but performance wise, srt-4 is still the best bang for the buck by a longshot.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:37 PM

SRT4's are not buried by a longshot... i see them all of the time. i have friends with them and they are not expensive to get. i was the outcast

i think that if GM does release a Turbo SS then i am sure it will sell very well. the aftermarket companies will pick up on it alot faster then the SS/SC did.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:56 PM

Ok, this has been a confusing issue for me ever since got the cobalt...How is it that everyone figures our car are getting "buried" simply because we have a supercharger? Here's my take......

People are taking the cobalt, which was intended, by design mind you, to be a hybrid performance car, meaning that an individual could set it up for straight tracks OR road courses with little effort, and comparing to cars like STI's, EVO's, and of course the SRT-4. First off, the STI and the EVO are in an ENITRELY different ball game than we are, t'd e like running a GT car against an F1 car, and then whining because the F1 car just handed you your ass. Of course they will win, and it isn't soley based on the turbo. The WHOLE car is designed for maximized performance.

As for the SRT-4, From what I've experienced with tha car, it leans more towards straightline performance. It isn't as effective through the turns due to a mild suspension and turbo lag. Fine, yes, you could always go to a bigger turbo, but with all that power comes a price, in the form of massive heat, and constant tuning. That is the one major issue I've seen with turbos, you're constantly tuning it, and can never get it perfect. I've run against plenty of 4's, and sure, some pulled me flat out, until we hit a turn,or god forbid them, an elevation change during a turn, at which point I went right on by thanks to my boost being there as soon as I hit the pedal, no lag.

This has even been demonstrated on the Grand Am circuit, where countless times, on tracks like Lime Rock, Laguna Seca and Sebring, the 01 ST Cobalt pulled on as many as 4 cars through the turns and hills because his boost was already there(And we're talking about competition in the form of Srt's, M3's, CTS's, RSX-S's, etc.)

With as much money as an Srt-4 guy would spend on bigger snail shells, and tuning, we can get forged internals to compliment the smaller pullies most of us already have, as well as the even smaller pullies/SC swaps some may due i the future. The internal upgrades on our motors alone yield a significant HP increase.

Take another example, the RX-8. I pull on these guys all day......until it comes to the twisties, at which point they send me packin like Pete Rose on a Vegas vacation. Why? Simply put, the RX was designed for road courses. Can you boost them, sure, you can boost anything, but the suspension and driveline is already there in that car.

Bottom line, here's my take...I bought my S/C because A: he blower gave it a uniqueness not seen elsewhere in the "tuner" landscape....B- It's handling dynamics were acceptional given the type of car it is, for the money it costs. I'm a road course guy always have been so massive boost has never been my deal...Torque and handling are my goals...If you wanted a straightline monster, this was not the wisest choice in car. For moderate track runs just for the hell of it, sure, the cobalt is competitive car stock, but for sub 13's, I'd have chosen a different car. This car is a hybrid, there are sacrifices in both the driveline and HP departments, but both can be built upon to suit the driver, so stop wining about big turbos beating you all day..If it's got a 40 or larger, you're done on the straights, always were, always will be. accept it. Enjoy the car for what it is, what it does and what you can make it do to it. If you want to go kill EVO's and STI's, go buy one, build it up, and have fun. Want to kill and SRT? build your driveine, boost your Eaton best you can, improve your driving, and hope the other guy isn't as good as you are, but for love of god stop whining about getting beaten by huge turbos.

Sorry about the rant, but it just seems to me some people bought the car and loved it cause they were dicing hondas all day, and now bitch because the AWD's saw we can put up at the least a decent fight and like running us now....It gets aggravating.

Last edited by Kritter; 06-03-2007 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 06-03-2007, 02:01 PM

If GM has a turbo coablt next year I will be very very upset. My car will only have like 5,000 miles on it when the 08's come out :-( . Maybe I will just have 2 cobalts.... Oooooooo well.

Mike
Old 06-03-2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kritter
Ok, this has been a confusing issue for me ever since got the cobalt...How is it that everyone figures our car are getting "buried" simply because we have a supercharger? Here's my take......

People are taking the cobalt, which was intended, by design mind you, to be a hybrid performance car, meaning that an individual could set it up for straight tracks OR road courses with little effort, and comparing to cars like STI's, EVO's, and of course the SRT-4. First off, the STI and the EVO are in an ENITRELY different ball game than we are, t'd e like running a GT car against an F1 car, and then whining because the F1 car just handed you your ass. Of course they will win, and it isn't soley based on the turbo. The WHOLE car is designed for maximized performance.

As for the SRT-4, From what I've experienced with tha car, it leans more towards straightline performance. It isn't as effective through the turns due to a mild suspension and turbo lag. Fine, yes, you could always go to a bigger turbo, but with all that power comes a price, in the form of massive heat, and constant tuning. That is the one major issue I've seen with turbos, you're constantly tuning it, and can never get it perfect. I've run against plenty of 4's, and sure, some pulled me flat out, until we hit a turn,or god forbid them, an elevation change during a turn, at which point I went right on by thanks to my boost being there as soon as I hit the pedal, no lag.

This has even been demonstrated on the Grand Am circuit, where countless times, on tracks like Lime Rock, Laguna Seca and Sebring, the 01 ST Cobalt pulled on as many as 4 cars through the turns and hills because his boost was already there(And we're talking about competition in the form of Srt's, M3's, CTS's, RSX-S's, etc.)

With as much money as an Srt-4 guy would spend on bigger snail shells, and tuning, we can get forged internals to compliment the smaller pullies most of us already have, as well as the even smaller pullies/SC swaps some may due i the future. The internal upgrades on our motors alone yield a significant HP increase.

Take another example, the RX-8. I pull on these guys all day......until it comes to the twisties, at which point they send me packin like Pete Rose on a Vegas vacation. Why? Simply put, the RX was designed for road courses. Can you boost them, sure, you can boost anything, but the suspension and driveline is already there in that car.

Bottom line, here's my take...I bought my S/C because A: he blower gave it a uniqueness not seen elsewhere in the "tuner" landscape....B- It's handling dynamics were acceptional given the type of car it is, for the money it costs. I'm a road course guy always have been so massive boost has never been my deal...Torque and handling are my goals...If you wanted a straightline monster, this was not the wisest choice in car. For moderate track runs just for the hell of it, sure, the cobalt is competitive car stock, but for sub 13's, I'd have chosen a different car. This car is a hybrid, there are sacrifices in both the driveline and HP departments, but both can be built upon to suit the driver, so stop wining about big turbos beating you all day..If it's got a 40 or larger, you're done on the straights, always were, always will be. accept it. Enjoy the car for what it is, what it does and what you can make it do to it. If you want to go kill EVO's and STI's, go buy one, build it up, and have fun. Want to kill and SRT? build your driveine, boost your Eaton best you can, improve your driving, and hope the other guy isn't as good as you are, but for love of god stop whining about getting beaten by huge turbos.

Sorry about the rant, but it just seems to me some people bought the car and loved it cause they were dicing hondas all day, and now bitch because the AWD's saw we can put up at the least a decent fight and like running us now....It gets aggravating.
Nice post. You make a lot of great points. Although, I think most SRT-4 owners will still disagree with you on the handling/road course abilities of their car. At least that's been my experience. Personally, I bought my car not expecting it to be any faster than a mid-13 second car. That is fast enough for me and about the limit of my comfort range for the reliability of a blown 4-banger.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where in gods name did you get the idea that a cobalt SS/SC is a hybrid car??.....
Old 06-03-2007, 02:29 PM

Thanks, and just to be clear, I don't discredit the Srt's handling abilities, I just found that after driving both cars, on factory set ups, the cobalt handled a bit more to my liking...Driver Preferences I suppose is what it boils down to, but then again, doesn't it always?

Originally Posted by Frank2029
where in gods name did you get the idea that a cobalt SS/SC is a hybrid car??.....

Hybrid in terms of track goals...How many other cars in the FWD 4-cyl class can you buy from the factory and be an equally competitive car on both the drag and the road courses, aisde from the SRT-4, which is our DIRECT competition, for the under 25K price? I don't see many RSX's running mid 14's, or pushing quick lap times off the lot. You can go either way with our cars...It wasn't designed SOLEY for the turns, or the strips, it was desined to be balanced in both. Why do you think they utilized the Astra's chassis, which is a fairly competitive rally racer, the gearing from a Saab, which have always been known for their positive gearing and driveline aspects, and drastically improved the Ecotec motor to handle large amounts of power? Seems to me you have the apsects of universal racing in this car, decent power that can be improved inexpensively, and a tight, responsive driveline..The clutch is a bit weak, as we all know, but nothing is perfect, but I would say that a car I can use as effectively on a strip as I can a course can be regarded as a hybrid from a performance standpoint.

Last edited by Kritter; 06-03-2007 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-03-2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kritter
Thanks, and just to be clear, I don't discredit the Srt's handling abilities, I just found that after driving both cars, on factory set ups, the cobalt handled a bit more to my liking...Driver Preferences I suppose is what it boils down to, but then again, doesn't it always?

Hybrid in terms of track goals...How many other cars in the FWD 4-cyl class can you buy from the factory and be an equally competitive car on both the drag and the road courses, aisde from the SRT-4, which is our DIRECT competition, for the under 25K price? I don't see many RSX's running mid 14's, or pushing quick lap times off the lot. You can go either way with our cars...It wasn't designed SOLEY for the turns, or the strips, it was desined to be balanced in both. Why do you think they utilized the Astra's chassis, which is a fairly competitive rally racer, the gearing from a Saab, which have always been known for their positive gearing and driveline aspects, and drastically improved the Ecotec motor to handle large amounts of power? Seems to me you have the apsects of universal racing in this car, decent power that can be improved inexpensively, and a tight, responsive driveline..The clutch is a bit weak, as we all know, but nothing is perfect, but I would say that a car I can use as effectively on a strip as I can a course can be regarded as a hybrid from a performance standpoint.

oh ok, my bad, yea this post and your last post i totally agree. This is the main reason i want this car. i think its got everything. looks, style, luxury, pretty decent options, many different models. speed and performance,
Old 06-04-2007, 06:52 PM

All good man, no harm no foul, sorry bout the confusion
Old 06-04-2007, 06:55 PM

id love to race one lol
Old 06-04-2007, 09:34 PM

supposedly gms contract with eaton is up ... so turbo maybe... however they're supposedly killing the ss/sc line . the only thing that is more than likely going to have a stock turbo option is the saturn astra redline which should be a 260hp turbo car like their opel brothers
Old 06-30-2007, 11:31 PM

Cobalt turbo

I was at the Lordstown plant today at the car show. The judges were GM employees and one of them said that they are definitely working on puttng the LNF engine in the Cobalt for 2008, and it is proving to be a challenge as one of the earlier posts mentioned. He also said that the refreshed SS will have electronic stability control, and updated seats that will have the support of the Recaro buckets, but won't cost more on the sticker. The plan is to roll out the Cobalt SS LNF in limited numbers in 2008.

Looks like the Cobalt SS lives on!
Old 07-01-2007, 04:12 AM

At a dealer near u April 2008

Originally Posted by elecblue06
however they're supposedly killing the ss/sc line . the only thing that is more than likely going to have a stock turbo option is the saturn astra redline which should be a 260hp turbo car like their opel brothers
That is basically just a formality . They arent going to certify the LSJ for 2008 model year production , even in limited quanties . The LSJ DOES NOT meet new 2008 emissions regulations ( like I said over a year ago ) . The new SS comes out AFTER the 2008 model year begins , so it will be released a 2009 , even though it will be out in 08 . Hence No 08 Cobalt SS

You will not see a redline Astra until the new Cobalt and Astra go onto Delta 2 chassis in 2010 , when both cars become pretty much mechanically identical . The current ecotec family 1 240 hp VXR/OPC Astra isnt coming to the US .

Last edited by SilverSS/SC; 07-01-2007 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-01-2007, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by player_1
I was refering to the picture of the 2.0T from the sky, and that engine is molunted diferently which would not fit the Delta plateform the same, I didn't say a turbo would fit.

Wow I'm sorry dude but you need some education. The reason 2.0t looks like it wont fit is beacause in the sky/solstice in is mounted in the longitudual RWD format. Turn the motor sideways in your mind if thats possible for you.

The 2.0l, 2.2l, and 2.4l are the exact same size on the outside it is the internals that make the displacement bigger.

Just like the silverado V8 family are all the same size 4.8, 5.3, 6.0l if u put the engines side by side you could not tell the difference.

If the do go to a turbo which I'm pretty sure they are the only reason is cost saving; why put an engine in thayt is only in 2 of your products makes 60 hp less than the turbo and cost hundreeds more to make. The 2.0l turbop is now being massed produced as it is is the sky/solstice combo aswell as a couple of european vehicles.

There will be no cobalt SS in 08 turbo super or NA, and GM is removng the SS badge from impsoter vehicles like the malibu and cobalt non supercharged. There was an article on this on how the industry was furious with GM just throwing the SS badge on any car. Lutz agrreed in a statement and said between now and 2010 GM would be removing the SS badge from vhicles they didnt fell deserve (especiall the fakin cobalt SS which in my opinion barely deserves an RS badge)

Last edited by BCBalt SC; 07-01-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:42 AM

Turbo Cobalt

Read before you post - I said they're working on the LNF for the Cobalt - not the LSJ. LSJ is out - no one is arguing differently.

Red
Old 07-01-2007, 12:23 PM

Not sure how this affects the Cobalt's future:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...706290415/1148

But it sounds a little more serious than GM just flexing it's muscle. If the Cobalt production does move to Mexico, that would kind of suck. At least the SS would still be finished the GM Performance Division in MI, but still.

And SilverSS/SC, how come you sound like the only one who really knows what's going on? You work for GM?
Old 07-01-2007, 12:41 PM

At Lordstown, as at other plants, GM is pushing the UAW to agree to money-saving work rule changes -- from reduced break time to more leeway to outsource jobs -- that mirror policies in plants run by foreign competitors, especially Toyota Motor Corp.
GM wants to be firm on ending money-wasting practices, and the union doesn't want to appear too ready to give up hard-won safeguards in the workplace.
GM temporarily stopped pre-production work to ready the plant for GM's next-generation small car. The move was considered largely symbolic, driving home the point that, at any time, GM can move the work done at Lordstown elsewhere.
The Lordstown plant, according to Harbour, is one of the most efficient small car factories in the United States. But that's not helping GM
"Despite all we've done together, we're still not generating positive cash flow in North America," said GM spokesman Dan Flores, who declined to specifically discuss Lordstown. "Fundamental competitive gaps still exist."
Sounds like alot of flexing to me .
Old 07-01-2007, 05:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ahhhhhh not this damn thread again
Old 07-01-2007, 05:58 PM

It's unbelievable
Old 07-01-2007, 06:02 PM

ROFL
Old 07-01-2007, 10:54 PM

For f*ck sake, lock this thread. The SS/SC is dead after 2007, period. No more LSJ. No LNF in the balt.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Johnboy12358
For f*ck sake, lock this thread. The SS/SC is dead after 2007, period. No more LSJ. No LNF in the balt.
gee..you have a crstal ball or what? Maybe you can tell the wining lotto numbers too

I laugh my head off at all you peple that think the SS is dead. No LNF, no nothing.

Yet none of you can come up with a single locigal reason why Chevy would walk away form the sport compact market.

Get real
Old 07-01-2007, 11:30 PM

^^^LMAO^^^

I can't believe this thread hasn't been locked yet
Old 07-02-2007, 07:46 AM

[QUOTE=JCswoosher2;309721]QUOTE]

I just noticed you're in D'Ville. I'll be up there next weekend visiting my Mother. Pray for me.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by avro206
gee..you have a crstal ball or what? Maybe you can tell the wining lotto numbers too

I laugh my head off at all you peple that think the SS is dead. No LNF, no nothing.

Yet none of you can come up with a single locigal reason why Chevy would walk away form the sport compact market.

Get real
They arent walking away from the sport compact market. They are keeping the SS N/A and re-badging it as the 'Coblat Sport'
It will have the 2.4 N/A motor, and there will be no supercharged version. No turbocharged version, period. At least not in 08, now 09 might be different, but I doubt it. They are killing off alot of the 'SS' badged cars.
This also has to do with new emissions requirements that the LSJ do not meet, or so I have heard.

Read up: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/04/c...rged-for-2008/
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums//showthread.php?t=62052

Quick Reply: 2008 Cobalt SS is Turbocharged. the proof is in....