2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Advice for Getting Belt Over SC Pulley? (Hands are destroyed!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Advice for Getting Belt Over SC Pulley? (Hands are destroyed!)

Well, got everything installed from my stage kit. The kit included a larger tensioner pulley to compensate for a 2.8" SC pulley.

So, I'm at the last step: getting this damn belt over the new SC pulley. Even with the tensioner relieved to what I think is max (using a wrench pushing towards engine block), it's a mother to try and get this belt over the SC's pulley. I'm sure it will fit, it is going to be snug as expected, but damn, it's hard as hell to do this.

Any advice on getting that belt over? I was thinking of actually unbolting the SC, putting the belt over the pulley, then using the SC itself as leverage to bolt the SC back in place with the belt already set. Anyone tried this?

I find the stupid wrench keeps slipping off the bolt, any ideas for dealing with that aslo?

Thanks a lot!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used a 1/2inch drive power bar wedged in the motor mount to depress the tensioner. If that doesn't work you can unbolt the SC to tilt it a bit then tighen it down after belt is on correctly.

Edit: if you use something to press down on the tensioner pulley like I did, make sure the belt is on it first so you don't damage any ribs on the pulley.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by jakemcd
I used a 1/2inch drive power bar wedged in the motor mount to depress the tensioner. If that doesn't work you can unbolt the SC to tilt it a bit then tighen it down after belt is on correctly.

Edit: if you use something to press down on the tensioner pulley like I did, make sure the belt is on it first so you don't damage any ribs on the pulley.
Thanks, where did you say you pushed on with this power bar? Did you mean you pushed against that metal part where you could put a wrench on the tensioner bracket?
Old 07-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Banned

That's exactly what I was going to recommend. If you combine the two methods together it's actually not bad at all.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:32 PM

I pressed on the top of the pulley, right on the belt.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:32 PM

I had to losen up the s/charger a little, and it gave anough slack to slide the belt over the pulley!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:34 PM

Thanks guys, just not sure what you mean by "power bar wedged in the motor mount to depress the tensioner", please elaborate.

Thanks so much, appreciate any advice!!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:35 PM

I pressed on the top of the pulley, right on the belt.
Ok great, then I will put the belt over the pulley and use my big ass torque wrench (no sharp ends) to push down on the pulley. This should compress the tensioner piston, sweeet, I will give it a go now!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We pressed down with a large flathead then rolled towards the S/C so it gives slack.

If you get half way on turn over car 1 turn and it will go on
Old 07-25-2012, 12:20 AM

this is the method I use just with a large flat head screwdriver
Old 07-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I run a GMS2 shorter belt WITH and oversized tensioner and can get it on no problem. Make sure the belt is sitting on the pullies properly down below. That's probably why it's difficult going on. As for the wrench slipping off, take a 9/16's and tap it on with a hammer. It will never slip off again.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:05 PM

Thanks everyone, I managed to get it on, here's how I did it:

I relaxed all 4 SC bolts by almost 3/4 inch. I had my wife (she's strong) pick up the intake end of the SC and this allowed the hub to angle down. I then put my 9/16's wrench on the tensioner bracket, compressing the tensioner. This allowed a lot of slack, considering the snout was already angled down, and the belt slipped easily over the SC pulley.

To finish up, I kept the pressure on the wrench, compressing the tensioner, while the wife tightened down the 4 SC bolts. Perfecto! Warning: do not let off pressure on the tensioner before the SC is fully bolted, the SC will lift and you'll have to wrangle it back in place with a bit of muscle. Be careful not to bend any bolts/engine hardware.