2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

AEM Dryflow

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM Dryflow

i know everyone is sick of reading intake posts, but i just need a lil info. What would you guys recommend: the AEM dryflow replacement filter, or a K&N replacement filter? I dont want to risk a CEL and i know AEM wouldnt do that. I just wanted to see if anyone has tried this. Thanks in advance and sorry for another intake post!!
Old 08-17-2006, 04:45 PM

I have the K&N filter, not an intake and I have no CEL.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:51 PM

yeah, thats all i wanted to do: Just replace the stock air filter. I was going to go with a CAI system but i figure this would give me the same performance for less money. Anyone else ever try AEM dryflow? Or just go with the K&N and remove some of the oil...
Old 08-17-2006, 04:53 PM

I didnt remove any of the oil. Just stuck it in. It is my daily driver and I have yet to have a problem. I was worried about a CAI giving me the CEL so I went this way instead. Took about 30 minutes with the how to on this site.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by drdaley
I didnt remove any of the oil. Just stuck it in. It is my daily driver and I have yet to have a problem. I was worried about a CAI giving me the CEL so I went this way instead. Took about 30 minutes with the how to on this site.
ok ok...looks like ill give this a shot. hopefully i dont have problems with the CEL either. thanks for your input. But if anyone has tried the AEM, let me know how it is. Thanks guys

::EDIT:: Also, how does the drop in sound???
Old 08-17-2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by JamesTabs
yeah, thats all i wanted to do: Just replace the stock air filter. I was going to go with a CAI system but i figure this would give me the same performance for less money. Anyone else ever try AEM dryflow? Or just go with the K&N and remove some of the oil...
I don't want to burst your bubble, but a drop-in filter will not give you the same performance increase as a full intake. The main restriction is the airbox itself, not the filter inside. I dropped a KN filter in my car a couple weeks after buying it, and there is no noticable power difference at all. The s/c whine is a little louder, and the throttle response a little quicker, but overall power output feels no different at all.

2 days ago I installed the AEM CAI that I got a great deal on, and the s/c whine is *much* louder, and there is a very noticible gain in the mid-range torque.

So far, 6000 miles on the KN drop in, and about 300 on the intake, (300 spirited miles, at that) and no CEL.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
I don't want to burst your bubble, but a drop-in filter will not give you the same performance increase as a full intake. The main restriction is the airbox itself, not the filter inside. I dropped a KN filter in my car a couple weeks after buying it, and there is no noticable power difference at all. The s/c whine is a little louder, and the throttle response a little quicker, but overall power output feels no different at all.

2 days ago I installed the AEM CAI that I got a great deal on, and the s/c whine is *much* louder, and there is a very noticible gain in the mid-range torque.

So far, 6000 miles on the KN drop in, and about 300 on the intake, (300 spirited miles, at that) and no CEL.
any difference between the AEM and a full injen? how good is the stock tubing vs a full setup from an injen?
Old 08-17-2006, 05:55 PM

where did u get your AEM from?
Old 08-17-2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Apex
any difference between the AEM and a full injen? how good is the stock tubing vs a full setup from an injen?
I don't know the technical differences, but I do know that most CAIs use tubing to re-locate the filter to a lower location on the car. Ours is already reallly low, it's just the airbox itself that mainly hinders the flow. Plastic also tends to insulate better than aluminum, as well. I trust that AEM has done their research - they have quite a good reputation.

On Denny's dyno, he got 8 hp and 6 tq, and he didn't even take it to redline, so peak gains would likely have been higher.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:10 PM

where did u get your AEM from?
http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...0A2351165.aspx

When I got it, it was also 10% off on top of the free shipping. Even without, it's still a good deal.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:23 PM

He's got a point to an extent. If you do what I did, the gains should be similar to a full intake. Buy an AEM Dryflow filter. Cut off the stock airbox with a dremel tool or jigsaw. I left the two main brackets that attach the airbox to the frame for support. The gains should be somewhere in the range of 8-9 HP and around 8 lbs. tq. I don't think its worth buying the intake for our car. The aluminum will attract more heat that the GM plastic from what I read.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:06 PM

Just get the AEM dryflow with the airbox mod. The airbox is only really restrictive if you leave the cover on. There is a big cover on the bottom of the airbox that comes off leaving the bottom completely open. Do that. I did mine for $40 bucks shipped and like less than an hour of work. works great
Old 08-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ther is no noticible difference with a K&N intake either. Other than the extra niose and CEL.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:39 PM

i have the AEM dryflow replacement filter in my stock airbox with a mesh grill over the bottom instead of the stock plastic cover.

absolutely the best $40 ive spent.

you will NOT regret it. 5k and no CEL ever.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:01 PM

AEM Dryflow: only $40, increased SC whine, more Air, no CEL. 8 HP 8 TQ = Best Value!
Old 08-17-2006, 11:57 PM

How would you mod the stock airbox to work with the aem??
Old 08-18-2006, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by chipmonk212121
Just get the AEM dryflow with the airbox mod. The airbox is only really restrictive if you leave the cover on. There is a big cover on the bottom of the airbox that comes off leaving the bottom completely open. Do that. I did mine for $40 bucks shipped and like less than an hour of work. works great

is this hard to do? ive read the how-to on the airbox mod but im not exactly a mechanic. and i dont want to cut anything...my car is a lease...

::EDIT:: also, what size should i get?
Old 08-18-2006, 01:32 AM

is this hard to do? ive read the how-to on the airbox mod but im not exactly a mechanic. and i dont want to cut anything...my car is a lease...

::EDIT:: also, what size should i get?
Check out Penquin PIe air box mod
Old 08-18-2006, 02:06 AM

so with the airbox mod and the AEM dry filter there should be no CEL?
Old 08-18-2006, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by L.P.
so with the airbox mod and the AEM dry filter there should be no CEL?
That's correct. If I were you guys...I would cut of the stock air box to open up the air restriction. If you are a warranty paranoid person, remove the bottom of the stock airbox for minor increased airflow. No CEL!!! Sounds amazing!
Old 08-18-2006, 02:30 AM

i'm going to just take the cover off...not going to chop the box off...later on i'll get the AEM CAI, just right now i'd like to have a few extra hp, better throttle response, and a louder s/c whine.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by L.P.
i'm going to just take the cover off...not going to chop the box off...later on i'll get the AEM CAI, just right now i'd like to have a few extra hp, better throttle response, and a louder s/c whine.
If that's the case. Why would you not cut the box off. Your not going to get the whine you want with just the bottom removed. Unless your going for show in the long run, I wouldn't waste the money on a CAI. The gains aren't worth two-hundred and change.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:50 AM

do NOT take the bottom off that airbox with the stock filter.

there is only a small amount of friction holding that filter on.

the only reason you can get away with it with other filters is they use a hoseclamp to tighten on the filter neck.

I even put a wire mesh cover over for a secondary safety. because you do not want to accidentally be sucking unfiltered air into your blower.

and BTW.....the stock filter with the cover removed doesnt make jack **** difference.

its a combination of the filter and box that will give you the gains and the sound.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:03 AM

I went with the full AEM CAI and have to say that I was pissed off with the small tube extension and filter because it just seemed very little for the near 200 bucks i spent. I guess I didn't research enough. But I have to say, I am thoroughly impressed with the performance. My buddy is a turbo guy and helped me install this while giving me crap that I had a S/C and not a turbo'd car. Then we test drove the car and it sounded like I unleashed a friggen monster under the hood. 2k miles and no CEL. The best part is that the whine isn't very noticeable unless you are driving the car pretty hard, so if you have warranty issues and have to take it in, you can't see that the car is modded and can't hear the difference unless you are really accelerating. Just beware, your gas mileage will go down cuz you get addicted to hearing that S/C whine when you accelerate hard all the time!
Old 08-18-2006, 11:14 AM

Ok so how do we do the aem airbox mod?????????

Quick Reply: AEM Dryflow