2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Aftermarket fans: clarification needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket fans: clarification needed.

Yes, I searched. No luck either.

My car has to have fans since there aren't any there. Instead of paying so much for the stock units, I figured I could go with a high quality set of aftermarket universal puller units such as FAL fans. I wouldn't have a shroud, but that's just life. I am also going to run the ZZP S3 h/e by itself. I do realize that I can go on ebay and get some fans for about $150, but I just really don't like ebay.

However, the prob that I see is it working with the car's pcm. Doesn't the pcm vary voltage to the fans and in doing so would this make using anything other than the factory parts impossible? If it simply turns them on, and there's no funny business with the way the pcm control's them, then I don't see anything wrong with the universal units.

Some clarification is most certainly needed.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Banned

Get some junkyard oem fans man, most aftermarkets wither have one speed or two speeds, varying voltage may fry those motors
Old 07-17-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by selfinfliction
Get some junkyard oem fans man, most aftermarkets wither have one speed or two speeds, varying voltage may fry those motors
word...
Old 07-17-2010, 10:38 PM

So it's in fact true that our cars' dual fans are voltage variable? I'm really not sure, and only threw that up there since I thought i'd read it somewhere.

I really don't think there's too many SS/SC cars in junkyards around my local area. It would be nice if there was though.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:45 AM

Bump.

Sorry i'm bumping this, but i'm really in a tight dilemma here. I have to get this car road worthy in a couple of weeks. I'm officially running out of time. The fact that you guys even so much as responded means the world to me. I can't say enough good things about this website in the way you guys have already helped me by giving me the info that I needed. Thankyou Cobaltss.net.

The only reason I would even consider uni fans is that there is a local speed shop that carries them. I can get them fast. I really wished I could just throw on a single huge fan like the base model cars have. I could have already had that installed, but the PCM might get upset. Perhaps there's a way to piggyback both fan connectors while maintaining independence of the ground terminal for the 2nd fan?

Again, thankyou guys, and I apologize that I bumped this thread. If in the end the only remedy is to come up with some OEM fans, then so be it. I'd just like to explore more options first to save some time.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:55 AM

Junk yard Cobalts in your area

www.car-parts.com
Old 07-18-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by domin8_gt
OOOOOooo. Now I know where to pick up a used spoiler. Thanks man.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by michelob_ultra
So it's in fact true that our cars' dual fans are voltage variable? I'm really not sure, and only threw that up there since I thought i'd read it somewhere.

I really don't think there's too many SS/SC cars in junkyards around my local area. It would be nice if there was though.
Yes they are variable, and if you have no cobalts in junkyards aroud you, check out www.copartfinder.com. And look there for one that ships parts
Old 07-18-2010, 08:33 PM

also try rockauto.com I got a aftermarket radiator from there and it looked just like oem. also if needed I think you would be able to drive the car without a fan but just watch the temps in slow traffic. and the a/c would not cool if you are stopped or moving slow cause of lack of air flow.

people do not rag on me for recommending the above.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by stonny9
also try rockauto.com I got a aftermarket radiator from there and it looked just like oem. also if needed I think you would be able to drive the car without a fan but just watch the temps in slow traffic. and the a/c would not cool if you are stopped or moving slow cause of lack of air flow.

what brand radiator did you get? and how is the quality? i need to buy one, mine is leaking from the side
Old 07-19-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by stonny9

I work at an auto parts store. When I have something very hard to find, such as a timing set with a 1 bolt cam gear for a 1960 Chrysler Imperial. Usually, once I come up with the number I can cross reference to what I have in my computer. So, if you don't want to pay for shipping take the numbers you get from Rock Auto to a local parts store and see if they interchange. For many parts, such as A1 Cardone, Dorman, Standard, etc the part is the same number. I don't know of a single parts company (outside of dealerships) that don't use those brands.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
from my experiance with the fans, there are two voltage wire. one low speed one high speed. thats it.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by 07cobaltguy
from my experiance with the fans, there are two voltage wire. one low speed one high speed. thats it.
Tell me more.

So are you saying there's a chance that I can put some universal high flow (such as FAL) fans on my car and all should be well? I mean, just like anything electronic, you can put small voltage to it and high voltage to it, and the result should be slow performance and fast performance respectively. I'd really like to put some FAL fans on this thing. I just want to make sure I understand the concept of what i'm doing before I do it (or if it can be done at all).
Old 07-20-2010, 09:07 PM

wire it to the battery with an inline fuse and a switch
Old 07-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Banned

there's more than 2 speeds on our fans, open it up in hptuners and you will see you can control it in percentages. don't listen to anyone that tells you otherwise.

i have my fans kicking on 30% at 196 degrees, 50% at 198 degrees, 75% at 202 and 100% at 206 or something like that, can't remember exactly, but it is set up in steps, not just a low/high speed