2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

AMSOIL vs. Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMSOIL vs. Mobil 1

does anyone out there use AMSOIL instead of Mobil 1? I am getting ready for my 1st oil change and am deciding of AMSOIL is the way to go. Opinions please...
Old 09-06-2006, 05:43 PM

I use royal purple and mobile 1 as long as it's synthetic you should be good.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:45 PM

Does it say it meets equivalent specs required by owners manual? If not, don't use....

Can't remember the service grade it has to meet....someone smarter than I should post it...
Old 09-06-2006, 05:51 PM

Do a search but from what i remember amsoil is the best but dont tell the dealer that you use it because it may not be on their approved list.
ive run both royal purple and mobile 1 but the purple was better.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:52 PM

I use Mobil-1 because it says it on the oil cap. I think that AMSoil is way better IMO, I use it in my dirt bike.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:02 PM

Better...how exactly?
Old 09-06-2006, 06:11 PM

I dont use either of them. I decided to go to Royal Purple but then I went with some really good **** called Redline!!! It is def awesome!
Old 09-06-2006, 06:12 PM

Looks like both Mobile one and Amsoil meet GM spec...

However, I don't see that on Royal Purple's site....so I would avoid, unless someone can show me it meets GM 6094M and GM 4718M
Old 09-06-2006, 06:13 PM

Redline beats em' all
Old 09-06-2006, 06:18 PM

I also don't see the GM spec mentioned on Redline's site, so unless someone has that in writing, I would avoid it as well. Granted, I may have just missed it...can someone point to it?
Old 09-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Banned

When it comes to our cars Mobil 1 is just as good as any of the others mentioned.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:31 PM

never heard about amsoil dont know if they sell it in cdn or that iv just never taken notice of it...
Old 09-06-2006, 07:35 PM

I use amsoil synthetic in my ss/sc. I used to use in my old accord Mobil1 synthetic, but then i switched to amsoil, and was much better with starting the car especially in cold weather than mobil 1 was.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
AMSOil is probably what I would use... I'm more familiar with ATV, Dirt Bikes, Crotch Rockets, etc... which I why I work at a Powersports store... and Amsoils is big time High Performance for that sort of application... so I would expect nothing less from their automotive oil.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:18 PM

Well, I'm kind of sick of this kind of "which is better" with no real scientific info...so I've asked Mobile One why are they better than Amsoil...we'll see what they have to say...
Old 09-06-2006, 09:31 PM

I stick with the Mobil 1 synthetic because that is what it came with from the factory and that is what is recommended. Never had any problems with it. Also, as a sidenote it is the oil used in the best engine ever conceived by man - the LS7. oh yeah!

However, everyone has their own preference and as long as it meets GM's specs, I am sure it's OK. I have heard good things about AMSOIL and Royal Purple, but never anything about Redline.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:52 PM

Not to change the subject, but what about the filter? I am using a Fram filter, how long do they last? I am just thinking since my oil has been lasting me 6k+ miles, that I should be changing my filter every 3k.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:58 PM

Well, in this case, you can't go wrong with the GM filter, which you could change when the DIC says to change the oil....
Old 09-06-2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by automobiliben
Not to change the subject, but what about the filter? I am using a Fram filter, how long do they last? I am just thinking since my oil has been lasting me 6k+ miles, that I should be changing my filter every 3k.
Well before I start Im just going to say I work at Jiffy Lube. Ive been there for 3 years and am currently a manager of my own store. Anyway NEED to change the oil filter EVERY time you change your oil! It is a must! Never ever leave that old oil filter on the car after an oil change. Secondly you say 6k miles??? Wow. thats so bad even with synthetic.

Personally I think the Mobil 5000 and 7500 and Extended performance that is supposed to last 15k miles is total BS! I would never leave my oil in my car for more than 3k miles after some of the cars oil Ive seen that have came into the shop. Even though regular oil is supposed to be changed every 3k miles I would still change any oil at 3k miles.

With synthetic oil it is still supposed to be changed at 3k miles. The only reason they say it can go for more is because it wont break down as quick as regular oil does. You should never go over 3k miles on any oil if you can change it often. If you do go over a lot and the oil does come out black overtime I would recommend doing an Engine Oil Flush to get all that **** outta your motor. It breaks down all the crap and it does an amazing job!

Sorry I just had to rant... Im bored as hell!
Old 09-06-2006, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by 06noscobaltss
Well before I start Im just going to say I work at Jiffy Lube. Ive been there for 3 years and am currently a manager of my own store. Anyway NEED to change the oil filter EVERY time you change your oil! It is a must! Never ever leave that old oil filter on the car after an oil change. Secondly you say 6k miles??? Wow. thats so bad even with synthetic.

Personally I think the Mobil 5000 and 7500 and Extended performance that is supposed to last 15k miles is total BS! I would never leave my oil in my car for more than 3k miles after some of the cars oil Ive seen that have came into the shop. Even though regular oil is supposed to be changed every 3k miles I would still change any oil at 3k miles.

With synthetic oil it is still supposed to be changed at 3k miles. The only reason they say it can go for more is because it wont break down as quick as regular oil does. You should never go over 3k miles on any oil if you can change it often. If you do go over a lot and the oil does come out black overtime I would recommend doing an Engine Oil Flush to get all that **** outta your motor. It breaks down all the crap and it does an amazing job!

Sorry I just had to rant... Im bored as hell!
So you are saying that all the research that GM put into there way of calculating oil life is complete and utter BS?? I think not, unless show me something a little more concrete than just an opinion. It says right in the owners manual "if you are driving under the best conditions....that the system may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year." Personally, I think that GM would not put anything out there that would jeoparadize them paying warranty money for people leaving there oil in for too long, they are likely to err on the safe side. Also, I have read studies about Mobil 1 saying that it is safe to run it past 10k miles, but can't seem to come up with the reference. I was asking about the filter, not the oil...
Old 09-06-2006, 10:41 PM

So you are saying that all the research that GM put into there way of calculating oil life is complete and utter BS?? I think not, unless show me something a little more concrete than just an opinion. It says right in the owners manual "if you are driving under the best conditions....that the system may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year." Personally, I think that GM would not put anything out there that would jeoparadize them paying warranty money for people leaving there oil in for too long, they are likely to err on the safe side. Also, I have read studies about Mobil 1 saying that it is safe to run it past 10k miles, but can't seem to come up with the reference. I was asking about the filter, not the oil...
yea i cant see GM doing somehting stupid like that
but either way i would never go past 5000km with out changing the oil...no matter what the oil life says.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:46 PM

I had a friend school me on this...
Mobile one and Amsoil are the only true synthics on the market. Thats why a lot of other companies use name like sytec and crap, they have synthetic properties but are not true synthetics. Amsoil was the frist to make a full synthetic and therefor claim to be the best, hence why its slightly more expensive to buy it.

When i talk to the guys at the strip that run the big muscle cars, they say stay away from royal purple as more people seem to have engine problems while running it. Don't know if it is true, just what i was told.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:53 PM

Get that POS outta your car NOW! Fram packs their filters tighter than anyone else in the industry. Meaning they flow the least ammount of oil, even less than a Gm part, which last I checked was a WIX brand. I lost a 4.3 with 120K on the odo to a fram cause it flowed so poorly.

Now as for changing your oil, make sure you change the filter every 3000 miles and replace the lost oil with fresh oil. After that point watch your oil and when it gets darker than you like change it. I've gone 6000 on my CRX with syntheticand it's a fairly dark brown. About when you'd guess the oil was beginning to break down. After doing that like 5 times aI dropped the oil pan (It has over 200K on the motor.) to check and there was no sludge or anything in there.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by SpecialK
Get that POS outta your car NOW! Fram packs their filters tighter than anyone else in the industry. Meaning they flow the least ammount of oil, even less than a Gm part, which last I checked was a WIX brand. I lost a 4.3 with 120K on the odo to a fram cause it flowed so poorly.

Now as for changing your oil, make sure you change the filter every 3000 miles and replace the lost oil with fresh oil. After that point watch your oil and when it gets darker than you like change it. I've gone 6000 on my CRX with syntheticand it's a fairly dark brown. About when you'd guess the oil was beginning to break down. After doing that like 5 times aI dropped the oil pan (It has over 200K on the motor.) to check and there was no sludge or anything in there.
Yeah, Fram was all the was available locally. But if WIX is the stock filter, I will get a supply of them.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:16 PM

I use redline personally. Ran it all of my cars and never a problem.

Quick Reply: AMSOIL vs. Mobil 1