2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

AMSOIL vs. Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DWK5150, if it doesn't meet GM spec, you could be screwing with your warranty. You might want to verify that "Redline" meets the two GM specs I posted in this thread. If it does...great! If not, don't use it anymore in your SS/SC. I would avoid it if it is not officially certified for the car anyway....
Old 09-07-2006, 01:31 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There are lots of independant studies showing that when using true synthetic oil (Mobil1, amsoil and royal purple) that you can go 12K-15K without any risk of viscosity break down. I did lots of research on this since i did a thesis on it in college. Don't believe the Jiffy Pop or Valvosmear BS about having to change it every 3000 unless you use *THEIR* oil, they just want you to change the oil as much as necessary to make as much money as possible.

As for the filter, I would still change it at 3000 miles unless I saw some proof that it could last longer than that. I always change my filter at about 2500 and change the oil at 5000 - 6000 miles which is about when the DIC tells me it is time. You could go longer than that, but I would just change it when the DIC says so, don't want any warranty issues to possibly occur because of a lack of proper maintenance.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:05 AM

BTW, Mobile One has a program where they can credit you $5 towards Mobile one merchandise or a gift certificate for every 6 quarts you buy if you register at their site www.mobile1.com ... you've got to send in receipts with a form after you have registered for purchases made from that date forward.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:10 AM

DIC reset????

all excellent points.... I can't wait to hear from the MOBIL rep as to why it's better. On that note I will get in touch w/ AMSOIL and see if they have any input.

I will try to do some oil filter research.... It's great to know the GM filter is a WIX (excellent product). AMSOIL sells WIX filters at their site.

OK... now for big question.... reseting the DIC (I have not done this yet).... if you had oil changes done at the local Chevy dealer, does he verify and record the oil life % at time of the oil change keep the warranty valid? And if you changed the oil yourself and reset the DIC oil life monitor yourself (let's say at 6000 miles and 10% remaining), and you had a problem at lets say 40,000 miles ..... how can you prove you were within the DIC's recommendations? Also, how would that work w/ going the the JIFFY POP (love that name) for oil changes?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:20 AM

Simple...if you change the oil yourself, you have to keep EVERY receipt for filters and oil...so you can show a track record of changing the oil over time.

If you don't want to do that, take it to the dealer for every change, and a record would be generated for you....
Old 09-07-2006, 08:57 AM

yes I keep reciepts.... but, how can you prove you were within the DIC's recommendations if only you have seen the DIC's readout?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Forseti
DWK5150, if it doesn't meet GM spec, you could be screwing with your warranty. You might want to verify that "Redline" meets the two GM specs I posted in this thread. If it does...great! If not, don't use it anymore in your SS/SC. I would avoid it if it is not officially certified for the car anyway....
...his warranty was gone a long time ago...
Old 09-07-2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by 06noscobaltss
Well before I start Im just going to say I work at Jiffy Lube. Ive been there for 3 years and am currently a manager of my own store. Anyway NEED to change the oil filter EVERY time you change your oil! It is a must! Never ever leave that old oil filter on the car after an oil change. Secondly you say 6k miles??? Wow. thats so bad even with synthetic.

Personally I think the Mobil 5000 and 7500 and Extended performance that is supposed to last 15k miles is total BS! I would never leave my oil in my car for more than 3k miles after some of the cars oil Ive seen that have came into the shop. Even though regular oil is supposed to be changed every 3k miles I would still change any oil at 3k miles.

With synthetic oil it is still supposed to be changed at 3k miles. The only reason they say it can go for more is because it wont break down as quick as regular oil does. You should never go over 3k miles on any oil if you can change it often. If you do go over a lot and the oil does come out black overtime I would recommend doing an Engine Oil Flush to get all that **** outta your motor. It breaks down all the crap and it does an amazing job!

Sorry I just had to rant... Im bored as hell!
Changing synthetic oil at 3k is a serious waste of money.

Multiple studies have shown that Mobil 1 and Amsoil are good for at least 10k in a good running vehicle. In these tests, samples are sent away every 1k to monitor TBN, viscosity, insolubles and wear metals. Testing also checks for fuel, antifreeze and water in the oil.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by automobiliben
...his warranty was gone a long time ago...
Nope still got it and still use it. You just need to be creative and work at what you do and how you do it. Most people cant tell there is that much done to my car by just looking at it unless you know what your looking for.