2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Anyone add a second stock heat exhanger up front?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone add a second stock heat exhanger up front?

Just wondering if anyone has already added a 2nd stock heat exhanger up front. I know guys are going with the cobra heat exhangers and I've seen pics of the setup on the redline site.

I got a 2nd factory heat exchanger sent to me...THANKS FASTO6SS.... and was looking for ways to mount it in the front and run hoses to another resovour on the passenger side.

I intially mounted it the same way the stock one was with the hoses on the bottom, but the heat exchanger was too low in the bumper and the air dam wouldn't work correctly. Plus I didn't want to drill two holes in the air dam to accomidate the heat exhanger.

Since then I tried to reverse it with the hoses on top and the fit is pretty snug and with a few zip ties I can get this second heat exchanger mounted with little vibration and pretty stable. I haven't mounted it it yet, just placed it on the supports and have to adjust it so it's centered.

Just was wondering if there is a downside to running this upside down? From looking at the stock heat exchanger it shouldn't matter, but I wanted to know if others have do this also.

Here are a few pictures of the work in progress. I'm also replacing my axels with the 400hp driveshaft shop axels from intense so I have the car in pieces at the moment.

Here are some more pictures of after I got it installed.

Last edited by ENUFPWR; 07-17-2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:59 PM
360 L337 User

WHY? i mean i understand the concept, but cant you do a dual pass setup instead of having an entirely seperate one.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a guy with a RL that used a Cobra heat exchanger and said he can tell there are gains, temp drops, etc.

Oh and there is a place I know that is going to make a performance radiator for the cars as well.
The following users liked this post:
Omegak77 (02-09-2020)
Old 07-12-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
i'M very interested I'm working on some type of setup for my car too.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by R33P3R007
WHY? i mean i understand the concept, but cant you do a dual pass setup instead of having an entirely seperate one.

Ya, I can go duel pass also, but I got this and figured I'd put it to good use....

Rob already tried this and this is the same one he sent me. He's working on some stuff now for our cars that will improve, but in the meantime I have this sitting in my garage and since my axels are out figured it would be a good time to install it.

Originally Posted by FAST06SS

#2) I added a second stock heat exchanger mounted in front of the ac condensor and hooked up in series with the orginal unit. I saw a 15-20 degree drop in IAT2 which allows me to run more timing on my pump gas tune which is nice on the street. I feel that adding a resvoir and bigger pump, a 40-50 degree drop could be realized.

Rob
Old 07-12-2006, 04:06 PM

So are you planning on running them in parallel then?
With a separate reservoir for the 2nd exchanger?

Or have you considered running them in series?
(i.e. Coolant into the stock ht exch, then take the output from the stock cooler and plumb that into the second exchanger)

Sorry if I missed something, but I think running them in series would be easier (shorter coolant path), take less room and work better than doing a parallel setup with T's
Old 07-12-2006, 04:07 PM

Hey Daren, is it possible to fab up some brackets that wold actually mount the HE away from the radiator stack some? I don't have my Cobra HE in fromt of me so I don't know how best to describe it but maybe like a single stairstep on each side. My setup is going intercooler, stock HE, cobra HE, icebox, back to intercooler. I wonder if it would be possible to wire another fan setup just for the Cobra HE? You know, maybe a dual fan setup. IDK just trying to think of some things.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Doc

I ordered one today ($75 (864) 332 0955 Amazon Tuning Solutions)
He has plenty, so go get them.

I'm not sure if the flow will work as well with the hoses on top. I'm no expert in fluid dynamics but it seems easier to me that a pressurized system would be easier to push fluid up rather pull it up. (that make sense..??)

nevermind just read the part of Robs post you quoted.

Good luck man, this might be a really nice cheap upgrade for us.

Originally Posted by SS33
So are you planning on running them in parallel then?
With a separate reservoir for the 2nd exchanger?

Or have you considered running them in series?
(i.e. Coolant into the stock ht exch, then take the output from the stock cooler and plumb that into the second exchanger)

Sorry if I missed something, but I think running them in series would be easier (shorter coolant path), take less room and work better than doing a parallel setup with T's
Plan to run them in series but also have a bigger coolant reservoir. Sorry, should have clarified that earlier.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:09 PM

After reading about Rob's success with this, I really want to do it. I also saw the thread on redline forums.

I'm going to, mounting it obviously being the biggest pain. I was thinking this is a good time for a company to capitalize on this. If SOMEONE (Intense Racing) perhaps, could make a kit with mounts already in the right spots, etc. It would probably sell well.

One of my big questions is, would it be just as good or better to just run ONE big efficient aftercooler instead of two?

Would love to hear more on the topic. Also if anyone has a stock cobra heat exchanger, or another SS one, let me know.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by patathSS
Hey Daren, is it possible to fab up some brackets that wold actually mount the HE away from the radiator stack some? I don't have my Cobra HE in fromt of me so I don't know how best to describe it but maybe like a single stairstep on each side. My setup is going intercooler, stock HE, cobra HE, icebox, back to intercooler. I wonder if it would be possible to wire another fan setup just for the Cobra HE? You know, maybe a dual fan setup. IDK just trying to think of some things.
God your car is going to be insane man, Do you think you'll have the Cobra installed before Milan next Friday?
Old 07-12-2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by turboeco
One of my big questions is, would it be just as good or better to just run ONE big efficient aftercooler instead of two?
Only time will tell man. I'm sure that there is an aftermarket HE that will outperform two of our stockers in a series config. But at what price?

This would be pretty cheap for most of us to do, you could probably pull this off for a little over $100 if you don't plan on upgrading the res.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Doc

My setup is going intercooler, stock HE, cobra HE, icebox, back to intercooler. I wonder if it would be possible to wire another fan setup just for the Cobra HE? You know, maybe a dual fan setup. IDK just trying to think of some things.
I was thinking about going intercooler, reservior/ice box, stock HE, cobra HE, intercooler and possibly using an extra fan or sprayer in front of the cobra HE down the road.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:13 PM

God your car is going to be insane man, Do you think you'll have the Cobra installed before Milan next Friday?
Yeah it will be in before then. I don't think it will be insane but I really want 12s before August is over. I am also hopefully going to have a downpipe in by then. All I have to do is pack and work on the car for the next week and a half
Old 07-12-2006, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Doc
I was thinking about going intercooler, reservior/ice box, stock HE, cobra HE, intercooler and possibly using an extra fan or sprayer in front of the cobra HE down the road.
If you are doing an icebox I really reccommend running it in series last. I ran intercooler to icebox and it helped but not much. I went through ice like crazy because of how hot the coolant was. Now if you were going to Cryo spray the front HE then maybe I would change it. I think it is best to go least efficient to most efficient with cooling equipment. Plus, I don't spend $500 a day for ice supply.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:18 PM

^^Nice, I can't wait to see how you run everything, still have fan ghosts?

I would classify your ride as insane, not many have done more than you so far.

I think my car needs to be reflashed for the rough idle TSB. I'm pretty sure that is why I threw the CEL during the downriver cruise.

Others have thrown a similar misfire on #3 code prior to getting the reflash. I doubt it'd have any impact on my shitty 1/4 mile times, but I'm sick of the car wanting stall out
Old 07-12-2006, 04:20 PM

^^Nice, I can't wait to see how you run everything, still have fan ghosts?

I would classify your ride as insane, not many have done more than you so far.

I think my car needs to be reflashed for the rough idle TSB. I'm pretty sure that is why I threw the CEL during the downriver cruise.

Others have thrown a similar misfire on #3 code prior to getting the reflash. I doubt it'd have any impact on my shitty 1/4 mile times, but I'm sick of the car wanting stall out
Yeah,go have it looked at. You don't have anything they can blame it on. Go tell them to F off if they blame it on the intake.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:22 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
on fri I'm gonna try and mount the stock he in front of the ac condensor to see if 1 it can be done and 2 if it helps, my iat are getting a bit high now.... plus bringing a cooler full of ice bags to the track friday to cool down the s/c cause its gettin hot as f'
Old 07-12-2006, 04:36 PM

Awesome News

The place that is building an ice box and all the other **** for our cars soon makes cobra heat exhcangers there at their shop. They offer twice as much flow for fluid than the stock one...going to be around the end of the month when it will be released I'm sure but either way its awesome. It will have custom hangers for our cars so it will work!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 04:38 PM

Oh and they can make them a dual pass
Old 07-12-2006, 04:40 PM

Yeah,go have it looked at. You don't have anything they can blame it on. Go tell them to F off if they blame it on the intake.
I will, it was doing it before the intake anyways. That was just the first time it had been in stop and go traffic for a long time on a hot day.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:44 PM

Has anyone figured a way to take the stock exchanger out completely? I have some ideas for the future needless to say!
Old 07-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Doc

If you are doing an icebox I really reccommend running it in series last. I ran intercooler to icebox and it helped but not much. I went through ice like crazy because of how hot the coolant was. Now if you were going to Cryo spray the front HE then maybe I would change it. I think it is best to go least efficient to most efficient with cooling equipment. Plus, I don't spend $500 a day for ice supply.
That course makes sense having a steady supply of cooled fluid to go into the laminova sounds good.
I was thinking of having the hot fluid go into a container then through the HE's until you mentioned it. It won't hurt to try multiple routes to figure out which is best.
Also, I found a local guy that has the upgrade for the 03 Cobra HE's. I'm thinking of getting both the stock and upgraded HE's to see which is most beneficial.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Doc
That course makes sense having a steady supply of cooled fluid to go into the laminova sounds good.
I was thinking of having the hot fluid go into a container then through the HE's until you mentioned it. It won't hurt to try multiple routes to figure out which is best.
Also, I found a local guy that has the upgrade for the 03 Cobra HE's. I'm thinking of getting both the stock and upgraded HE's to see which is most beneficial.
Absolutely! I know when I ran IC, icebox, HE it did not cool as well as running IC, HE, icebox. Eventually we'll figure out which route and which way is best. Water injection sill gets my vote

Quick Reply: Anyone add a second stock heat exhanger up front?