2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Anyone add a second stock heat exhanger up front?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FAST06SS
We are busy right now, thanks for asking. I bug Scott every 2 days on several projects/ideas i have and or we are working on. Hang in there
I'll probably just get the ZZP for right now because I'm going up to get my car tuned on 8/15 (my Long Trims are at -18 or night at idle and cruising). Then whenever you guys get something together I'll sell the ZZP one and install the INTENSE one.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fluidyne makes an awsome 3 pass upgrade for the Cobra. That is what I'll be looking into for an upgrade.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:28 AM

I just got one that is 24x7x3 and will be playing with that shortly. :p
Old 07-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Banned

ill be waiting for you guys to experiment with them before i jump on one, but im def planning on an upgraded HE..

i thought the coolant was pressurized also @5psi?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:20 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
QUESTION: can you swap the h/c with the a/c condensor.... and I'm gonna try and fab something up this weekend to use as an ice-box for the ic fluid.... keep you posted
Old 07-13-2006, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
QUESTION: can you swap the h/c with the a/c condensor.... and I'm gonna try and fab something up this weekend to use as an ice-box for the ic fluid.... keep you posted
Well if you don't want ac, go ahead and take out your ac condenser...
Old 07-13-2006, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by vandy0419
Well if you don't want ac, go ahead and take out your ac condenser...
I think he's asking if you can just swap their locations in the bumper.

Stock, the HE is sandwiched between the Rad, and the AC condensor. If the HE were placed in front of the other two it would see more fresh/cold air, as opposed to just seeing whatever makes it through the AC condensor.

I think that's what he was asking, and I personally have no clue how hard it would be to pull off. Would certainly help though, this would also allow for a spray bar to be ran in front of the HE, further increasing it's efficiency, and looking cool as hell to boot.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:16 AM

Thats what I'm talkin about
Old 07-13-2006, 11:19 AM

I know a few guys here have torn into that area pretty good.
Anyone have any comments on re-locating the stock HE to put it in front?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:33 AM

Well, after looking at it last night. I was thinking about how some are planning on putting a stock cobra HE up front hanging down away from the fans. I would think you might need some fans hooked to it to draw air in at idle or when staged at the track. It would work great while driving and having air blowing at it, but at idle it would heat up since not allot of air is actually blowing on it at idle when most of this heat soak is occuring.

This is one reason why I choose to mount this second HE in the front of the AC condensor. So the fans can draw air in and help out while the extra air from driving would help during a pass down the track or normal driving.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by ENUFPWR
Well, after looking at it last night. I was thinking about how some are planning on putting a stock cobra HE up front hanging down away from the fans. I would think you might need some fans hooked to it to draw air in at idle or when staged at the track. It would work great while driving and having air blowing at it, but at idle it would heat up since not allot of air is actually blowing on it at idle when most of this heat soak is occuring.

This is one reason why I choose to mount this second HE in the front of the AC condensor. So the fans can draw air in and help out while the extra air from driving would help during a pass down the track or normal driving.

They make a aftermarket set of fans for the cobras to mount diretly on the heat exchanger for that purpose. Might timker with that idea later on down the road.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by DWK5150
They make a aftermarket set of fans for the cobras to mount diretly on the heat exchanger for that purpose. Might timker with that idea later on down the road.
There you go.... That would work then
Old 07-13-2006, 11:46 AM

There you go.... That would work then
They work pretty good actually buddy put a set on his cobra. Heres a pic of one set up but there are also others avaliable with 3 fans also.
Thsi place offers them plus they have specs on othere size cobra heat exchangers.

http://www.gordsfordperformance.com
Old 07-13-2006, 12:41 PM

I have two stock HE's on my 06 cobalt ss right now. They are linked together and there was an increase in power because of all the cold air that it sucks in. Also I added a bottle of Royal Purple's PURPLE ICE into that and the coolant so I am seeing a very good temp drop all the way around! You have to fab up some things and get hose but all in all I spent like 50 bucks for the hose, coolant, purple ice, hanging materials, and clamps. I am def proud of how me and my buddy hooked it up. Only took an hour or so mainly because we wanted it to be straight so it looked like a FMIC! Ill post pics if anyone wants to see them!
Old 07-13-2006, 12:50 PM

I'm taking the aftermarket HE for a Cobra and putting it in front of the AC condensor.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by 06noscobaltss
I have two stock HE's on my 06 cobalt ss right now. They are linked together and there was an increase in power because of all the cold air that it sucks in. Also I added a bottle of Royal Purple's PURPLE ICE into that and the coolant so I am seeing a very good temp drop all the way around! You have to fab up some things and get hose but all in all I spent like 50 bucks for the hose, coolant, purple ice, hanging materials, and clamps. I am def proud of how me and my buddy hooked it up. Only took an hour or so mainly because we wanted it to be straight so it looked like a FMIC! Ill post pics if anyone wants to see them!
Hell ya, post up some pics.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:01 PM

Yeah... I want some pics!
Old 07-13-2006, 04:09 PM

Haha Ill have some up tomorrow for all of u to gawk (sp.) over! Its a sweet set-up. You have to cut, heat up and bend the pipes that come out because they need to go at the bottom like the stock one is otherwise it will not work. You just have it go into one, go into the 2nd one, then from the 2nd one back to the first and ur good to go. Just make sure u have it hooked up the right way so it flows the right way so the cold comes into the hot and makes it cooler. Thats how I did it! And I used brackets from a local pep boys to hold it in place using the stock radiator support screws. Ill post pics asap!
Old 07-15-2006, 12:08 AM

I finished installing my Cobra HE tonight and it went ok. I need a couple more hosebends but it turned out alright. In hindsight I figured a couple easier ways to mount it. Oh well, Live and learn. The pictures form tonight didn't turn out so hot so I will take some more tomorrow. It seemed to help. I did a few runs tonight and normally my temps on hard runs are 145-160 with icebox and OEM HE. Tonight runs were 100-120 with icebox, OEM HE, and Cobra HE. Next I need to call and order the fans that atwilson listed.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:31 PM

Finished part of the heat echanger install. All worked out great. I just installed the 2nd heat exchanger and didn't get around to installing the the bigger surge tank. Took a few pictures..... Looks like it belongs there....hidden and factory looking. Temps dropped 20 degrees's from what I've seen testing a few times during a WOT pass on the street, but it was 98degrees today so I'll have to see after more tests.

Here are some more pictures.

Last edited by ENUFPWR; 07-17-2006 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:13 PM

^^Looks awesome man.

I love the "custom" mounts, lol

does it slide or shake too bad while running?

It's good to know that the HE appears to work
just as well mounted upside down

Great work brother
Old 07-17-2006, 03:19 PM

now this is something really worthy of a how too!!

would somone please make one, it would be a great help
Old 07-17-2006, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by SS33
^^Looks awesome man.

I love the "custom" mounts, lol

does it slide or shake too bad while running?

It's good to know that the HE appears to work
just as well mounted upside down

Great work brother
Actually it's more solid then the other heat exchanger behind the AC exchanger. The springs give it tension to hold it steady and I have black plastic pumper supports tie straped through the heat exhanger keeping it from vibrating against the AC one. (Just incase so it won't damage anything or put wear marks).

It doesn't slide or shake at all.
Temps today outside were 95degrees

IAT1 temps were 98-100degrees
IAT2 temps were 118-120 while going 80 on the highway. Stop at a light and IAT2 temps would climb to 132degrees and stay there.

Two WOT throttle runs from 1st to 4th gear resulted in IAT2 temps going from 118-135 1st to 3rd and top of 3rd before 4th I was at 150.....160-180 was the max I've seen hit so far in the heat beforehand during the passes so the HE dropped 20degrees from before. Going to have to do some more testing, but the heat rise wasn't as drastic as before. This does work
Old 07-17-2006, 03:46 PM

Looks good Daren!
Old 07-18-2006, 01:58 AM

Hey Daren...looks good bro!

I've keep thinking about the mounting direstion of the 2nd HE like we talked about so i gave up on thinking and e-mailed my eng proff from school and he basicly told me that sence the entire system is under pressure that its doesnt make a bit of differance as long as the stock pump can handle the extra fluid and resistance in the system that you created...

I think it can.

also i've been trying to get a good pic of a "cut away" of our stock HE to see how all the lines in it are connected and what not like we talked about to see if i can get a final answer on that.

it loks REAL good tho...still stock looking and thats always a good thing!!!

i think the cobra idea like my self and pat have done(and others) stands as the most cost effective way to do this BUT the cobra unit doesnt have the same serface area as stock but its better then nothing!!!

good **** tho....nice to see the next step in keeping our AIT's in check!

Quick Reply: Anyone add a second stock heat exhanger up front?