2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Anyone had a AEM Cold Air Intake MAF Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Anyone had a AEM Cold Air Intake MAF Problem?

My engine begins to seriously bog whenever it gets wet outside cause of my AEM Cold Air. Has anyone had this problem? I reinstalled the intake myself to ensure it was done right, I even sealed the MAF sensor but the problem persists and I think it may simply be because of where the filter sits in the exposed wheelwell... anyone have any idea?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pick up a hydroshield for the filter. that will help keep it dry
Old 10-24-2007, 01:54 PM

Yep. I have been through 1 MAF already (waranty though, I just slapped on the stock airbox). That filter will let a small amount of water particle into the intake. The dryflow is still awesome you just need to cover it up when it rains.

Get the hydrosheild for the AEM. Does your car jerk and sputter when the filter is clogged? Mine did that before. I took the filter off and dried it, reset the ecu, all was good. Pretty shitty though.

I know of a couple AEM owners who have no problems though. Strange.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:57 PM

the AEM IMO is a better filter, because the oil from other filters causes problems quite a bit.

BUT the AEM has 1 slight flaw, because it has no oil on it, it doesnt repel water as well as K&N etc.....

put a hydroshield on it though, and your problems should be greatly reduced.

also one hint.....dont go through carwashes with the underspray option.
and if you do, go over it quickly so it doesnt spray for long on that front wheel well.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:03 PM

had my AEM cai for a while with no problems and no hydro sheild
Old 10-24-2007, 02:15 PM

You posted this in the wrong section. You gotta be careful now with the 2 2.0L perfomance sections. This is the LNF section you want yours in the LSJ section.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:15 PM

Why is this in the LNF section?
Old 10-24-2007, 04:53 PM

Whats an LNF ??? :P j/k
Old 10-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Bannned

this looks like lsj to me
Old 10-24-2007, 05:01 PM

i have aem and it runs perfect soudns great never had any promblems with it
Old 10-24-2007, 05:14 PM

Lets see if a hydroshield does anything!

Yeah my car was jerkin like a son of a bitch. You hit the gas and it feels like nothin is happening, and then it shoots off. What a bunch of bs. I called AEM and of course they play it like a bunch of idiots. Anyways I am gonna go buy a hydroshield see if that does anything. Ill let you know.

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
Yep. I have been through 1 MAF already (waranty though, I just slapped on the stock airbox). That filter will let a small amount of water particle into the intake. The dryflow is still awesome you just need to cover it up when it rains.

Get the hydrosheild for the AEM. Does your car jerk and sputter when the filter is clogged? Mine did that before. I took the filter off and dried it, reset the ecu, all was good. Pretty shitty though.

I know of a couple AEM owners who have no problems though. Strange.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:36 PM

When you get your hydroshield, take the maf off, inspect it, clean it with some MAF cleaner, clean your air filter out, then apply the HS and give it a few good revs and you should be good man. hell, id do all that before the hydroshield arrives.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Driven through a few large rainstorms with my AEM and no problems, but i've only had it on for about 1500 miles.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by WunSick
When you get your hydroshield, take the maf off, inspect it, clean it with some MAF cleaner, clean your air filter out, then apply the HS and give it a few good revs and you should be good man. hell, id do all that before the hydroshield arrives.
What he said....
Old 10-25-2007, 12:56 PM

I don't have any problems with mine. But I unfortunately, am using an APC filter lol.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:21 PM

No problems to report with my AEM. When I had the Fujita on my 07 it would push out the finder and it would cause my car to jerk and everything like you guys are mentioning when it rained.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:15 PM

I have an AEM cai on my 06 ss/sc and i have had problems with my MAF because of it. The problem is that the location of the cai filter (behind the splashguard) is not immune to water exposure. While it is unlikely that your engine will go into "hydrolock" (unless you submerge the filter in a deep puddle), during wet seasons, water saturates the filter on a consistent basis and some of this water gets into the intake tubing. The small amount of water that does get through makes contact with the MAF (mass airflow) sensor, fouling it up and causing the hesitation/lunging that you experience with a bad MAF. Beware as GM will not cover this under the factory warantee. Trust me, i know. I've been through this process. Don't bother calling AEM for help either as they tend to play dumb in this situation, despite the fact that several of us have clearly experienced this problem. There are 2 solutions to this problem:

1.) reinstall the stock airbox in wet seasons (lame solution)
2.) buy a hydroshield
Old 01-07-2008, 08:52 AM

I had the same problem with my aem, it would bog every time it rained becuase the filter was wet, buy a injen hydro sheild like I did, no issues at all, totally repels they water on rainy days, no performance loss and no CELs
Old 01-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Not a Sebring

Originally Posted by MoonKnight67
My engine begins to seriously bog whenever it gets wet outside cause of my AEM Cold Air. Has anyone had this problem? I reinstalled the intake myself to ensure it was done right, I even sealed the MAF sensor but the problem persists and I think it may simply be because of where the filter sits in the exposed wheelwell... anyone have any idea?
Mine sucks ass in the rain w/ my AEM. I'm pretty sure my MAF is messed up too from it. The CEL stays on, partly b/c I have no cat, but the AEM is part of it I'm sure too. I think I'm gonna replace my MAF and get a hydroshield soon.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:19 AM

Yup, same problem. And someone mentioned earlier about sputtering and jerking... yeah, i made a thread about that not too long ago. When spring rolls around I'm going to get a new filter and a hydroshield so she runs pretty for summer.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:46 PM

Well, I thought I would revive an old thread as I have been meaning to post somthing about this. I have fixed this problem on my SC , although I do have the aqua shield in the garage just in case.

Issues

1) The fender well wasnt installed correctly. It was not fastened properly and there was a huge gap in the well allowing for water to get in.

2) The "Hole" in the well where air enters has no louver and therefore water pisses right in, ONTOP of the MAF and filter. I created a customer louver in the wheel well to prevent water from entering right in. What a shitty design to just have a hole in well with no way to re direct water.

3) Since there was evidence of water being splashed ONTO the MAF, I created a water guard out of a balloon.

So I took my entire fender well out, replaced it properly, created a custom vent louver, and water guard for the MAF so water doesnt get sprayed right onto the MAF (but if it does, I have it covered up) and boom , all is good. All in all some pretty shitty design and fender well install. Of course GM states this was because of an improper intake installation. I didnt pay for a replacement MAF though... so I didnt argue :P

I forget where the MAF is located with the stock box, but this could still happen if it is exposed. I am pretty sure if you toast a maf its because of water being splashed ONTO it, not being sucked INTO it. I dunno, this was my solution anyway... When I pulled my older maf I could see a small reminant of water drip into the tube (tiny, tiny) but it did confirm water is getting right onto the MAF.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:53 AM

I went threw a almost a foot deep puddle had no other choice to but i just creeped threw it and i had major problems after..sputtering like a **** ..engine shutting off...tons of white smoke comming out of the exaust. When i would start the car she would jump around on boost and rpm and shut off...left it for an hour and it was fine again.Can water get into your supercharger with an aem ?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:50 AM

Pull you're maf and check the tube. Its quite possible for water to leak in between the maf and tube and bypass the entire filter. Get a Hydro sheild. AEM should sell one with the kit, since they are complete *****' when damp. Depends how much water you hit, but if the car is pulling hard and idling ok, I would guess you're good to go. If you have a CEL,or the car jerks and bucks into 2nd and doesnt seem too stable under throttle, I would bring it in to the dealership should resetting the ecu not help in anyway.

MAF's arent cheap for the sc.... 300$ canadian for one...
Old 05-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

^ your right, AEM should include a hydroshield in their CAI kit. For what they charge for an 8 inch piece of pipe and dryflow filter , i think they could throw in a hshield for free. I bought a hydroshield at the same time i bought the AEM cai , i've never had an issue.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:37 PM

I hate to bump an old topic, but, I bought a used AEM from a member here (who had issues with it also)

I was forced to drive through a monsoon last night and when I tried to leave this morning it wouldn't even move. I pulled the headlight to check the MAF and what do you know? Its rusted. It was in perfect condition when I installed the intake 2 weeks ago..

Also, the filter is soaked.. I can wring water out of it by squeezing it.

Everything is in place and properly installed. AEM will be receiving a phone call and I'll be getting a new MAF (at my own expense, AEM's warranty is **** and says it will not cover the damage to the MAF )

**** AEM, I'll never use another one of their products.

Quick Reply: Anyone had a AEM Cold Air Intake MAF Problem?