2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

bates sleeved blocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 01:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shadowfaxss
Everything you have posted is backed up with facts and illustrations. Although I've been around for quite some time I don't understand what you are referring to as Gen 1 - III. Can you enlighten me?
Over the years, GM's Ecotec line of engines has by and large been seen as nothing more than an economical and reliable underhood offering. But with its "Gen II" revision that debuted with the 2.4L LE5 engine, GM drew upon experience racing the Ecotec engine family and built in strength to handle extra horsepower, with thickness being added to the main bearing bulkheads, cylinder bore walls, and other areas.

LSJ/L61 = Gen I
LE5/LNF = Gen II
Old 11-14-2011, 09:54 AM
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by ebristol
Over the years, GM's Ecotec line of engines has by and large been seen as nothing more than an economical and reliable underhood offering. But with its "Gen II" revision that debuted with the 2.4L LE5 engine, GM drew upon experience racing the Ecotec engine family and built in strength to handle extra horsepower, with thickness being added to the main bearing bulkheads, cylinder bore walls, and other areas.

LSJ/L61 = Gen I
LE5/LNF = Gen II
It's been tossed around that the Gen 2 block is better/stronger but this turns out not to be the case actually. They are just different.

If you look at the picture below, see the 2 arrows facing eachother on the Gen 2 block? That is a point where the block cracked. As reference, you can see where GM attached the support to the sleeve in the blocks (gen 1 block in picture is missing top of the sleeve as it's been cut away for the Darton sleeving. The benefit of supporting the block lower is that the entire sleeve is cooled, the downside is that it's not supported except at the bottom. So if sleeving, a Gen 1 block is much better as you're supported in the center of the sleeve vs. the bottom. If girdling, it doesn't matter as much but the Gen 2 block would probably be best as you're supported both top and bottom.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Zooomer
It's been tossed around that the Gen 2 block is better/stronger but this turns out not to be the case actually. They are just different.
I see what you are saying. Interesting.

This platform has seen a ton of LSJ block failures at the top of the sleeve but not so many LNF.

Any chance we can see a cut-a-way of your engine girdle?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

zoomer came prepared with guns and ammo on this convo ^_^

If you look at the picture below, see the 2 arrows facing eachother on the Gen 2 block? That is a point where the block cracked. As reference, you can see where GM attached the support to the sleeve in the blocks (gen 1 block in picture is missing top of the sleeve as it's been cut away for the Darton sleeving. The benefit of supporting the block lower is that the entire sleeve is cooled, the downside is that it's not supported except at the bottom. So if sleeving, a Gen 1 block is much better as you're supported in the center of the sleeve vs. the bottom. If girdling, it doesn't matter as much but the Gen 2 block would probably be best as you're supported both top and bottom.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Supporting Vendor

Here are some more illustrations of what I'm talking about.
It appears at first glance that the Dartons have cooling holes all through them and they promote cooling that is hampered with the ZZP block girdle. This is not true.
Below are two images of a darton sleeve with the head gasket laid on top. You can see that the gasket blocks cooling to the head, save for the small water passages in the gasket. I won't get into why GM does this here but it's for cooling reasons.

Moving on, we have experienced sleeved cars with cooling issues and noticed that they run hotter than stock vehicles. There is also talk about the differences in a Gen 1 and Gen 2 block. Below I have a sleeved Gen 1 block. The areas in blue are where coolant is traveling. Notice how the cooling on the Gen 1 block covers less than 1/2 of the cylinder bore but on the Gen 2 it covers 2/3 of it? This is the increased cooling discussed on the Gen 2 block.
With sleeves you change things a bit tho. The stock sleeve is only 60 thousands thick. The lower part of the cooled sleeve is a total of .220 thick with the top being .300 thick. .240 is aluminum which cools very well. The Darton sleeve is .280 thick of steel which doesn't transfer heat well. This is where some of the increased cylinder wear comes from and why Darton motors run hotter.

This brings us back to the cars Mr. Darton was bragging about and the GM race vehicles. Guess what? They run filled blocks and methanol and only run for seconds at a time. Methanol burns very, very cool. But here we're building street motors, motors where heat is our enemy.

Last, I'd like to point out the massive weight disadvantage. A Darton sleeve weighs 3 pounds 7 ounces. Your going to add 12 pounds to your build, if you're competitive and want a fast car, 12 pounds is going to make a small difference.

Last edited by Zooomer; 11-14-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:44 PM

So Zoomer.....are you stating above that girdling the Gen I block (like I have) won't make much difference? I would just need to sleeve the block with OEM sleeves and upgrade the pistons for slightly over 300hp?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn I'm glad I've spent large $$$ with ZZP.

You guys are just plain kick ass.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Supporting Vendor

So Zoomer.....are you stating above that girdling the Gen I block (like I have) won't make much difference? I would just need to sleeve the block with OEM sleeves and upgrade the pistons for slightly over 300hp?
Our girdle works well in either block, not sure what I said to impress you otherwise.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:56 AM

Our girdle works well in either block, not sure what I said to impress you otherwise.
zoomer, ive messaged you twice and no reponse? im at work and dont have time to call right now
Old 11-15-2011, 02:18 PM

Because of your last statement

"If girdling, it doesn't matter as much but the Gen 2 block would probably be best as you're supported both top and bottom."

That is why I asked.......
Old 11-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Supporting Vendor

Because of your last statement

"If girdling, it doesn't matter as much but the Gen 2 block would probably be best as you're supported both top and bottom."

That is why I asked.......
Sorry. That is confusing.
I have some more cut-aways and info. I'll post soon
Old 11-15-2011, 10:04 PM

Sorry. That is confusing.
I have some more cut-aways and info. I'll post soon
Somewhat.....but thank you.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:09 PM

As far as I'm concerned, you've impressed me as far as bringing us info, specs, detailed pictures, explanation of a product and the problems it can give us. Really rare that a vendor gives us so much time like you guys at ZZP.
Still upset that I didn't know you guys before I've purchased my turbo kit sigh sigh sigh
Christian
Old 11-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 214 Likes on 173 Posts

LSJ/L61 = Gen I
LE5/LNF = Gen II
07 LSJs are Gen IIs as well as 06+ 2.4s IIRC
Old 11-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
07 lsj engines arent gen2
Old 11-16-2011, 05:20 PM

But 07+ l61 and LAP are gen II
Old 11-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

yea so the lsj of that year is still a gen1

Last edited by mrbelvedere; 11-17-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:43 PM

i think this thread needs to be renamed b/c this has gotten to be so much more than just a question about one company's sleeves
Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by mexi_loco
i think this thread needs to be renamed b/c this has gotten to be so much more than just a question about one company's sleeves
It actually turned out to be very informative. Not much information on Bates but very good technical information from Zooomer concerning sleeving the ecotecs.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:55 PM

does bates even get on here?

i just want a block i can turn the boost up high and not worry about my sleeves crapping out.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by slvr 04 rl

i just want a block i can turn the boost up high and not worry about my sleeves crapping out.
mayb
Old 11-16-2011, 11:15 PM

Have you broken stock ones yet?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:16 AM

Have you broken stock ones yet?
no i havent. i guess i lifted the head though since ive spiked 30 lbs a few times and was loosing coolant. but ive seen too many blow sleeves out and i have everything apart, so i figured it would be a good time to upgrade everything
Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

the zzp block will do you justice
Old 11-17-2011, 09:19 AM

no i havent. i guess i lifted the head though since ive spiked 30 lbs a few times and was loosing coolant. but ive seen too many blow sleeves out and i have everything apart, so i figured it would be a good time to upgrade everything
ARP studs, if you lifted the head, you should certainly run them.

Quick Reply: bates sleeved blocks