2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Blower Whine

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blower Whine

hello, i am new to this forum and just wanted to ask a couple questions. I just bought a 2007 Supercharged SS and i want to do a couple things to it. First i want to hear the blower whine more, will any cold air intake system deliver the same sound? Do they all deliver the same HP? I read what they say on their websites but i was looking for some opinions from people who already have them. I was planning on getting the K&N typhoon system. anybody with one have anything good or bad to say about it?

The next thing after that would be a GM Stage 2 kit, i read the MSRP is 750, is that installed? I know msrp's really dont mean ****, so what are you guys paying for the kits installed, since thats a condition to keep the warranty.

what are some other options for performance other than, tune, injectors, intake system, and blower pulley. i dont want the exhaust to be any louder so im not changing that. i like the shifter, suspension, tires, everything but the wheel hop. i guess my question is, how else can i make more power, and what the hell do you guys put on these cars to stop the wheel hop?

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$750 should be the price of just the kit not installed. And any intake will give you WAY more blower whine.

And welcome to the site!
Old 06-10-2007, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
K&N Typhoon is an excellent CAI system.
the only thing i would suggest is getting an AEM dryflow filter for the end, instead of the K*N supplied one.
these cars are VERY picky about filter oil....and it will get on your MAF, and possibly throw a cel...and cause idling issues.

stage 2 can be purchased for around $550US through vendors on this site.
then installed at your dealer for $200-350.

for the rest?
grab that *search* button up there and start reading everything you need to know has been talked about many times
Old 06-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Master Shake
hello, i am new to this forum and just wanted to ask a couple questions. I just bought a 2007 Supercharged SS and i want to do a couple things to it. First i want to hear the blower whine more, will any cold air intake system deliver the same sound? Do they all deliver the same HP? I read what they say on their websites but i was looking for some opinions from people who already have them. I was planning on getting the K&N typhoon system. anybody with one have anything good or bad to say about it?

The next thing after that would be a GM Stage 2 kit, i read the MSRP is 750, is that installed? I know msrp's really dont mean ****, so what are you guys paying for the kits installed, since thats a condition to keep the warranty.

what are some other options for performance other than, tune, injectors, intake system, and blower pulley. i dont want the exhaust to be any louder so im not changing that. i like the shifter, suspension, tires, everything but the wheel hop. i guess my question is, how else can i make more power, and what the hell do you guys put on these cars to stop the wheel hop?
Thanks.

you stop the wheel hop BEFORE you make more power, or it will just get worse.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:43 PM

Too many options to list shakezulla. Look into the ingalls engine torque damper system to help out with some of the wheel hop. It's not an end all, but it will help on the really hard launches.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:55 PM

fujita cai stage 2 and buy the gm 2.9 pully from their stage 3 u cant go wrong i have same set up and ran a 13.53 best time with kdw2 and tourqe arm and exhaust but still you will be fast with a sick sounding wine

my dealer installed it for 140 just get in good with them

Last edited by chevysssc; 06-10-2007 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-10-2007, 12:56 PM

I have the K&N CAI and it will make you're supercharger scream, especially when I had the stock exhaust since it is pretty quiet.

Many people do the ingalls TD for wheelhop or various solid motor/tranny mounts.

I got the Stage 2 from crateenginedepot.com for $550 and had it installed for $200. However, it really varies from dealer to dealer. Definitely do not pay more than $250 or you're getting screwed.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:37 PM

Master Shake--pm sent.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:44 PM

I have the K&N CAI..If you get that one make sure you bolt it up from the Bottom first then get it on the TB. if you try it from the engine down you will have a fitment issue.
Welcome to the site!!!!
Old 06-10-2007, 02:28 PM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the injen with no fitment issues and it sounds great! You will be happy with any type of dry flow filter, intake set up. As far as the stage 2 goes get it from crate engine depot for $550 and shop around for the install so you get the best rate you can get. You really should refuse to pay more than $250 for the install like RJSS said. I would suggest saving up the extra money and getting a motor mount and some trans bushings at the same time. The car will be hard to drive due to wheel hop. I bought just the upper motor mount and that alone did not get rid of it. I am installing the trans bushing today and will be going to the track next Friday. I hope I can get the 60' times below 2.6 sec.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:08 PM

wow 2.6 60' is horrible. id hope these cars could do better than that bone stock. anyway thanks for all the advice guys! I think ill go with the k&n, but it will be a little while before i get the stage two.... anybody want to buy a '71 boat tail riviera??
Old 06-12-2007, 12:11 AM

where do you guys buy your cold air intakes at? about 250 was the best price i could find for the k&n, does anyone know where to do better or is that as good as it gets. i live close to summit so i could just go pick it up, i wouldnt really mind ordering online though.

How many people have had a problem getting the k&n oil on the mass air flow sensor? I'm NOT about to do that...
Old 06-12-2007, 12:23 AM

injen and stage 2....that's what makes me happy.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:35 AM

just get a torque dampener or some motor mounts that should help with the wheel hop.. and after a while once u learn ur car more u wont get so much wheel hop when taking off.. i dont ever wheel hop any more when i launch but at first i did alot
Old 06-12-2007, 12:53 AM

you are right about that, if i try to i can make it nothing but wheel hop, but if i try not to, its like a whole other car, as i practice its going away fast. my other car is a stroked mustang, its just taking me some time to get used to this whole fwd, 4 cyl thing. ive only had the car two weeks, so i think im doing ok.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:19 AM

to eliminate wheel hop, i run my tires at 38 psi, and instead of mashing the gas right off the bat, i ease on the gas because of all the torque and as soon as the tires hook up, pedal to the floor... works every time.. i think you should play with the air pressures and see what works for you.... have you thought about doing the DIY airbox mod?... made my SC whine so much louder....
Old 06-12-2007, 11:00 AM

What I do to get rid of wheel hop, I shift at 5500 rpm in first gear, right before the hpping starts. it doesnt really slow me down either.
But I do plan to get a TD and motor mounts and trans mounts
Old 06-12-2007, 10:27 PM
RBC

Originally Posted by Master Shake
where do you guys buy your cold air intakes at? about 250 was the best price i could find for the k&n, does anyone know where to do better or is that as good as it gets. i live close to summit so i could just go pick it up, i wouldnt really mind ordering online though.

How many people have had a problem getting the k&n oil on the mass air flow sensor? I'm NOT about to do that...
I got my Injen CIA from www.turbotechracing.com they normally have really great prices on every thing.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:15 AM

[QUOTE=CleanCut;1121439]to eliminate wheel hop, i run my tires at 38 psi, and instead of mashing the gas right off the bat, i ease on the gas because of all the torque and as soon as the tires hook up, pedal to the floor... works every time.. i think you should play with the air pressures and see what works for you.... have you thought about doing the DIY airbox mod?... made my SC whine so much louder....[/Q
yep thats exactly wut i do.. but i didnt do anything with the tire pressure, and deff airbox mod.. i did that and it whines loud always turns heads
Old 06-13-2007, 09:29 PM
RBC

Increasing your tire pressure may help wheel hop but only due to the fact that there is less contact patch so instead of hop they would just spin. For those that don't know what wheel hop is: Wheel hope is basically when the car doesn't have the power to spin but has to much power to hook up to the ground. This sends a shock wave through the drive train causing your cars engine to rock and the power that you need is absorbed in all the mounts. This movement allows your wheels to hop instead of spin or hook up. There is much more to it and many different variables and many different ways to fix it and probably go on for hours but I really don't feel like it. If some one else want to take over go for it.

As far as racing goes to get that little extra you would let a little air out of the front and over inflate the rears for less contact patch so you have a less drag.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:42 PM

I can vouch for turbo tech racing, a great vendor