2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

cat or no cat that is the quiestion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cat or no cat that is the quiestion?

Like the topic says cat or no cat I have a sub 3 inch pulley intake 42# inj gmc performance exhaust header front mount hear exchanger (do those come stock) so I was wondering if I would notice difference over having one..also could it cause problems..also could I run race fuel and do they make a throttle body spacer I like the sound they make
Old 10-28-2010, 01:31 AM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
If the car is a DD don't remove the cat. It'll sound like **** and be loud all the time, even when putting around.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:47 AM
Banned

im bout to do the same. catless is more hp but id rather lose a few hp than to be super loud so im going with the catted plus most states may do emissions
Old 10-28-2010, 02:15 AM
LSJ

Originally Posted by chris88z24
If the car is a DD don't remove the cat. It'll sound like **** and be loud all the time, even when putting around.
Not true.

I am catless. Sounds fine. Not raspy. Not any louder than any other exhaust. A cat hardly resonates/muffles sound. That would the job of the resonator and muffler. A cat does not change sound as much as you think, despite what you hear, or what people tell you. I can personally say it does not. I noticed hardly any difference.

People will say that it makes it raspy, tin sounding, etc. Here's an idea.. Maybe it's that cheap ass chinese pot metal under your car that you call an "exhaust". And maybe you didn't notice it until you got an aftermarket DP.. You ever think of that?! Of course not.. It's much easier to say it sounds like **** because it has no cat..

God damn people are so easy to assume ****.

Originally Posted by heathkidder
im bout to do the same. catless is more hp but id rather lose a few hp than to be super loud so im going with the catted plus most states may do emissions
Not true.

Most states do have emissions, but inside each state, is a county, and inside of each county, a town.

My town does not have emissions. This does not mean that it is legal for me to run catless. However, no emissions means I will have zero reason for my car to be inspected. And I've never seen/heard of an officer physically looking for a cat under a car. Period end of story.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:55 AM

i am going catless, it has been ordered, should arrive very soon... i will let you know the diff as soon as i install... remember i am also dual exits so if there is a huge sound change i will definately know hahahaha.... i assume it is like lsj says it wont make much diff in sound just hp...
Old 10-28-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by LSJ
Most states do have emissions, but inside each state, is a county, and inside of each county, a town.

My town does not have emissions. This does not mean that it is legal for me to run catless. However, no emissions means I will have zero reason for my car to be inspected. And I've never seen/heard of an officer physically looking for a cat under a car. Period end of story.
This

Originally Posted by heathkidder
I can, if you have a ss/tc, personally attest to the only time the exhaust getting loud without a cat is on WOT. That is, if you still have the stock catback. The turbo actually acts as a fairly good muffler. You can't even hear the car while cruising.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My experience with downpipes :

zzp catless + gmpp touring exhaust on wot = Raspy- Highpitched tone.

zzp catless w/vibrant resonator on wot = Really aggressive sound, I loved it.

zzp catted downpipe on wot = sounds deep and loud, purrs while cruising " my current setup and it sounds amazing "

Oh btw i switched like 5 downpipes on my car in the last year and im satisfied with the last setup
Old 10-28-2010, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definately catless, Not sure why people suggests it sounds like crap cause it dont.

Love the sound of mine and actually enjoy it at open throttle. The Daily Ricer sounds worse.

Just my two cents
Old 10-28-2010, 10:31 AM

So keep the resonator but no cat but will it sound raspy with the gm performance exhaust. And it has no negative side effects of no cat..... and could I run race fuel in the cobalt.... has anyone ran race fuel
Old 10-28-2010, 10:46 AM

i bought zzp 2.5 catted downpipe. you can notice in sound at idle and low rpms, but at wot it sounds stock to me. wich i like tho
Old 10-28-2010, 12:50 PM
LSJ

Originally Posted by ULWiz Cobalt SS/SC
Definately catless, Not sure why people suggests it sounds like crap cause it dont.
100% agreed!

Originally Posted by bnm1026
has anyone ran race fuel
Yes. You need a tune, otherwise you're wasting a precious $6.50 for each gallon that you pump in your car.

Another thing you have to take into consideration is the exhaust manifold. Typically a long(er)-tube exhaust manifold setup will quiet down exhaust note. Check out the OTTP setup, or the ZZP one when it is released. Personally I'd choose ZZP.

Just another something to look into.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For all that suggest running catless, what kinda exhaust are you running, coz i know on a stock exhaust it will sound nice but anything thats not stock it wont imo
Old 10-28-2010, 02:06 PM
LSJ

Originally Posted by SunburstSS
For all that suggest running catless, what kinda exhaust are you running, coz i know on a stock exhaust it will sound nice but anything thats not stock it wont imo
Clear Image Automotive 2.5" cat-back. Stainless steel, full v-band. It's pure sex. Extremely expensive, though.

Do not go 3" cat-back. There is absolutely no point, and it will sound like total ass.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by LSJ
Not true.

I am catless. Sounds fine. Not raspy. Not any louder than any other exhaust. A cat hardly resonates/muffles sound. That would the job of the resonator and muffler. A cat does not change sound as much as you think, despite what you hear, or what people tell you. I can personally say it does not. I noticed hardly any difference.

People will say that it makes it raspy, tin sounding, etc. Here's an idea.. Maybe it's that cheap ass chinese pot metal under your car that you call an "exhaust". And maybe you didn't notice it until you got an aftermarket DP.. You ever think of that?! Of course not.. It's much easier to say it sounds like **** because it has no cat..

God damn people are so easy to assume ****.

Not true.

You're in ricer denial. I've had OEM exhaust, catless, Vibrant bullet resonator in place of cat, ZZP midlength with ceramic core cat, and ZZP midlength with ceramic spun cat. There's a HUGE difference with a converter on there. Assuming? Hardly. Go back and do your research before embarrassing yourself again with another falsely informed post.

These setups were all connected to the OEM resonator and muffler, by the way. As usual though, the noobs will come on here with their hot rod Cobalts that the bank probably owns and hound away at the keyboard angrily in denial over their own nonsense claims with no actual supporting evidence to back themselves with.

Last edited by chris88z24; 10-28-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:18 PM
LSJ

You're in ricer denial. I've had OEM exhaust, catless, Vibrant bullet resonator in place of cat, ZZP midlength with ceramic core cat, and ZZP midlength with ceramic spun cat. There's a HUGE difference with a converter on there. Assuming? Hardly. Go back and do your research before embarrassing yourself again with another falsely informed post.

These setups were all connected to the OEM resonator and muffler, by the way. As usual though, the noobs will come on here with their hot rod Cobalts that the bank probably owns and hound away at the keyboard angrily in denial over their own nonsense claims with no actual supporting evidence to back themselves with.
Is everyone on this forum as ignorant as you? No wonder the only people on here are people with a high post count because they think they know everything. Do you guys just act like ignorant ******** to each-other all day?

Listen. I am telling you, I honestly cannot tell an audible difference. A lot of the sound you are describing is the cat-back. The muffler and resonator have MUCH more to do with exhaust note, than the cat.

Let me say it again - "People will say that it makes it raspy, tin sounding, etc. Here's an idea.. Maybe it's that cheap ass chinese pot metal under your car that you call an "exhaust". And maybe you didn't notice it until you got an aftermarket DP.. You ever think of that?! Of course not.. It's much easier to say it sounds like **** because it has no cat.."

I own my car, paid in cash. Thanks. I can show you receipts if you'd like. You're the one assuming things. Lol!

You can get a quieter exhaust than stock, you do know this right? Like I said.. MUFFLER AND RESONATOR..

You're not speaking very well for this forum..
Old 10-28-2010, 03:25 PM

Right, because personal experience/research > hearsay assumptions. I've owned my car for over 3 years, [scooped it up from the showroom floor at a local dealership and paid in cash, too] and have had MANY different exhaust setups under it. Trust me when I say that the catalytic converter plays a role in toning down the exhaust note, which is nothing more than sound waves travelling through the exhaust pipe. Peer inside of a catalytic converter, actually YELL into a catted and non-catted downpipe, and tell me that there isn't a difference in sound.

You've been active on this forum for 12 days and have 66 posts, all of which are mostly just you typing about random nonsense that you have no clue about. Forums work best when you sit back, search, and read about what it is that you joined the forum to learn about. Feel free to ask questions (like the OP has done).

Have you ever attended college? Do you walk into the classroom on the first day and start telling everybody how things are run? Of course not, because your ass would have been kicked to the ******* curb (more figuratively these days than literally). The same principle works on the internets (although most are too dumb to grasp the concept). We've done things here and have learned from them, and have posted about it for others to read and learn about, too. So read up, you'll probably learn a thing or two anyways.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:26 AM
LSJ

Right, because personal experience/research > hearsay assumptions. I've owned my car for over 3 years, [scooped it up from the showroom floor at a local dealership and paid in cash, too] and have had MANY different exhaust setups under it. Trust me when I say that the catalytic converter plays a role in toning down the exhaust note, which is nothing more than sound waves travelling through the exhaust pipe. Peer inside of a catalytic converter, actually YELL into a catted and non-catted downpipe, and tell me that there isn't a difference in sound.

You've been active on this forum for 12 days and have 66 posts, all of which are mostly just you typing about random nonsense that you have no clue about. Forums work best when you sit back, search, and read about what it is that you joined the forum to learn about. Feel free to ask questions (like the OP has done).

Have you ever attended college? Do you walk into the classroom on the first day and start telling everybody how things are run? Of course not, because your ass would have been kicked to the ******* curb (more figuratively these days than literally). The same principle works on the internets (although most are too dumb to grasp the concept). We've done things here and have learned from them, and have posted about it for others to read and learn about, too. So read up, you'll probably learn a thing or two anyways.
Lol! I stopped reading at "You have been on this forum for 12 days and have 66 posts.."

You can take your ignorance and blow it out your ass you ignorant *****. Have fun with your catted setup and all of your incoherent, asinine, assumptions.

This is why this forum sucks, because of people like you. You could have just stopped and said - "Maybe you don't notice the difference, but to me if is quite prevalent.", and maybe respect the fact that "What sounds good" differs between each and every person, but no. You had to pull out your monster e-**** and attempt to be Mr. Hot Shot.

Congratulations, I hope you can sleep tonight.

Oh and just because I'm new here doesn't mean I'm new to the platform. I've been around it since day one. Talk about "Walking in and telling someone like it is." Moron.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Chris88z24, you need to calm down dude.. Post count means nothing.

To the OP: I am also catless, it sounds great to me. Many people love the sound.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:51 AM

From my experience with modding several different cars, the cat does cost you a little top end (i have always gained trap speed from ditching it), but it also controls the actual volume of the exhaust. The Muffler and resonator control the tone, not the volume AS much (not saying it has zero impact). Of course you can buy mufflers that cancel out all the noise, but if you remove the cat the same muffler it will sound the same, but it WILL get louder.

Anyway, removing it will do a few things. It will make the car louder, gain a few horses, and smell like ****. The last thing is why I left mine on this time. I just hate to smell like gas every time I walk behind my car while its running. It comes down to personal preference, OP. Try both and decide for yourself. Just make sure you have the cat tuned out so you don't throw a code.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by bnm1026
So keep the resonator but no cat but will it sound raspy with the gm performance exhaust. And it has no negative side effects of no cat..... and could I run race fuel in the cobalt.... has anyone ran race fuel
I'm catted and run race fuel. I run Cam 2 though (Sunoco 260GT100). It's 100 octane unleaded, and like another member said you need to be tuned for it.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:10 AM

Not true.

My town does not have emissions. This does not mean that it is legal for me to run catless. However, no emissions means I will have zero reason for my car to be inspected. And I've never seen/heard of an officer physically looking for a cat under a car. Period end of story.[/QUOTE]

I had it happen to me when I lived in Florida, the cop DID look under the car and DID write a warning ticket. Both I and the muffler shop that cut my cat off received a letter from the EPA 2-days later. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it has not happen. You can take your foot out of your big mouth now.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by SunburstSS
I run the stock cat-back/muffler with a zzp catless downpipe and cutout, I love how it sounds.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 68Vette
Not true.

I had it happen to me when I lived in Florida, the cop DID look under the car and DID write a warning ticket. Both I and the muffler shop that cut my cat off received a letter from the EPA 2-days later. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it has not happen. You can take your foot out of your big mouth now.[/QUOTE]

It is almost impossible to see the cat on a Cobalt. Especially if you just look under the car for it.

I'm not saying its right or wrong to have a cat. Just saying I highly doubt the cop new what he was looking at.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
I had it happen to me when I lived in Florida, the cop DID look under the car and DID write a warning ticket. Both I and the muffler shop that cut my cat off received a letter from the EPA 2-days later. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it has not happen. You can take your foot out of your big mouth now.
It is almost impossible to see the cat on a Cobalt. Especially if you just look under the car for it.

I'm not saying its right or wrong to have a cat. Just saying I highly doubt the cop new what he was looking at.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't the Balt; it was an 85 Chrysler Turbo Laser. He did know what to look for, hence the warning ticket.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 68Vette

I'm not saying its right or wrong to have a cat. Just saying I highly doubt the cop new what he was looking at.
I wasn't the Balt; it was an 85 Chrysler Turbo Laser. He did know what to look for, hence the warning ticket.[/QUOTE]

Ok. That makes more sense.

P.S. What the hell is going on with the quote button today?? It only quotes a portion of the post.

Quick Reply: cat or no cat that is the quiestion?