2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

cat or no cat that is the quiestion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Staged07SS
I wasn't the Balt; it was an 85 Chrysler Turbo Laser. He did know what to look for, hence the warning ticket.
Ok. That makes more sense.

P.S. What the hell is going on with the quote button today?? It only quotes a portion of the post.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I noticed the same thing. To error is human but to really foul thing up requires a computer.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:00 AM

well i went catless last night, yes it is a touch louder and deeper... but like all exhaust systems the control of loudness is in your right foot.... it was a mod i should have done along time ago.... bottom line
Old 10-29-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by 68Vette
Ok. That makes more sense.

P.S. What the hell is going on with the quote button today?? It only quotes a portion of the post.
Yea, I noticed the same thing. To error is human but to really foul thing up requires a computer.[/QUOTE]
qft?

no cat ftw.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrmotosports 88
well i went catless last night, yes it is a touch louder and deeper... but like all exhaust systems the control of loudness is in your right foot.... it was a mod i should have done along time ago.... bottom line
Another Thread Closed!!!
Old 10-29-2010, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrmotosports 88
Yep!

So much for all of the idiots saying it sounds like ****.. Lol! Told ya sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I think it sounds amazing!
Old 10-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 214 Likes on 173 Posts
been catless 4 years. no raspy. nothing overly loud. no problems. no complaints. and we have emissions but obd2 means no cel no problems
Old 10-29-2010, 01:02 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Old 11-01-2010, 09:37 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Put it this way I was running catless for years but now I am cheap and don't feel like paying off the inspector to overlook my exhaust. Damn NYS!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chris88z24
You're in ricer denial. I've had OEM exhaust, catless, Vibrant bullet resonator in place of cat, ZZP midlength with ceramic core cat, and ZZP midlength with ceramic spun cat. There's a HUGE difference with a converter on there. Assuming? Hardly. Go back and do your research before embarrassing yourself again with another falsely informed post.

These setups were all connected to the OEM resonator and muffler, by the way. As usual though, the noobs will come on here with their hot rod Cobalts that the bank probably owns and hound away at the keyboard angrily in denial over their own nonsense claims with no actual supporting evidence to back themselves with.
Agreed.

Go cat-less if you want a raspy sounding hunda.

I was under the impression that a cat-less dp was not any louder then a cat'd one. But I was wrong. Right now, I am running a CTI header with cat-less dp into a stock LNF cat-back. Stock resonator, Stock muffler. I though that adding those stock components would fix my problem but I was wrong. My exhaust is quieter but still raspy.

I think the misconception is that going cat-less will gain you 10-15hp. That is not true. It might help with a couple of hp but it is not worth it.

A catalytic converter is installed in an exhaust system for a reason. Its not just for tree huggers. Its burns up some of the unburned gas in your exhaust gases. If that gas does not get burned up in the cat, its going to get burned up in your resonator and muffler causing your exhaust setup to sound like crap after several thousand miles. That is esp important on the LSJ where the cars are tuned rich. I have had it happen to me a couple of times now.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 214 Likes on 173 Posts
No rasp here.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by ebristol
Agreed.

Go cat-less if you want a raspy sounding hunda.

I was under the impression that a cat-less dp was not any louder then a cat'd one. But I was wrong. Right now, I am running a CTI header with cat-less dp into a stock LNF cat-back. Stock resonator, Stock muffler. I though that adding those stock components would fix my problem but I was wrong. My exhaust is quieter but still raspy.

I think the misconception is that going cat-less will gain you 10-15hp. That is not true. It might help with a couple of hp but it is not worth it.

A catalytic converter is installed in an exhaust system for a reason. Its not just for tree huggers. Its burns up some of the unburned gas in your exhaust gases. If that gas does not get burned up in the cat, its going to get burned up in your resonator and muffler causing your exhaust setup to sound like crap after several thousand miles. That is esp important on the LSJ where the cars are tuned rich. I have had it happen to me a couple of times now.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:49 PM

what my car sounded like before the turbo swap...... hope it helps.

YouTube - Cobalt SS wine/exhaust
Old 11-02-2010, 08:42 PM

That Cobalt sounds like ASS. ASS!!

If you're sitting there going "Wow, that sounds deep and throaty," then you don't know what a "deep, throaty" sounding 4 cylinder really sounds like.

It's also LOUD. Have fun driving on the highway at 70mph for more than 10 minutes.

Go ride in a newer stock Toyota Camry. That should be your benchmark for cruising volume. No joke.

Last edited by chris88z24; 11-02-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:55 PM

Use a catalytic converter. I wish I had. Now I have my downpipe and wideband situated perfectly without a cat, and adding one would be difficult right now. I'm looking for a quieter muffler...Not Dynomax Super Turbo because the inside of the 2.5" muffler is smaller than 2.5". Stainless Works Turbo style muffler looks ideal, but it's almost $170 for just the muffler!! Ugh, these cars sound like ****!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Just put the stock **** back on until you can find a good setup with a cat.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:29 PM

That Cobalt sounds like ASS. ASS!!

If you're sitting there going "Wow, that sounds deep and throaty," then you don't know what a "deep, throaty" sounding 4 cylinder really sounds like.

It's also LOUD. Have fun driving on the highway at 70mph for more than 10 minutes.

Go ride in a newer stock Toyota Camry. That should be your benchmark for cruising volume. No joke.
wait! first off i never said its "deep and throaty" so stop jumping to conclusions if your directing your comment to me. 2nd its not as loud as the camera makes it to be, it was one of the best sounding sc cobalts imo. you and everyone else has to realize that it all depends on your exhaust setup that determines the outcome of sound. for the ss/tc guys, you should not influence or judge the sc ppl because were are in a totally different ball game. if a ss/tc goes catless of course its going to sound way better that a sc, why? because its turbo and in simple terms, its like having another muffler on the car. turbos help quiet down a car as well as adding a shyt load of extra whp.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Balt407
wait! first off i never said its "deep and throaty" so stop jumping to conclusions if your directing your comment to me. 2nd its not as loud as the camera makes it to be, it was one of the best sounding sc cobalts imo. you and everyone else has to realize that it all depends on your exhaust setup that determines the outcome of sound. for the ss/tc guys, you should not influence or judge the sc ppl because were are in a totally different ball game. if a ss/tc goes catless of course its going to sound way better that a sc, why? because its turbo and in simple terms, its like having another muffler on the car. turbos help quiet down a car as well as adding a shyt load of extra whp.
Was NOT directing that towards you, but let me say this:

It IS LOUD! I know it's ******' loud because I've ran that setup before. You have a catless, fartcanned exhaust. How can you say it isn't loud?! You're just used to it, but don't tell the people that are thinking about changing their setup that it isn't loud, because it IS.

I bought the Megan a couple years ago because you idiots on here said it wasn't loud when cruising, just when you get on it but it has a "deep, throaty" tone to it. BULLSHIT! It sounds like ass, and is LOUD, all of the ******* time. And I was even on stock mani and CATTED downpipe at the time!

YOU PEOPLE ARE INSANE. These are (or were) $24,000 sport compacts, not $500 Civics. I don't get why people rice the **** out of these cars when they're actually pretty nice vehicles to have, especially if you're a younger kid.

Is there some kind of educational and/or language barrier that prevents relevant (and tried/true) information from reaching your heads? There sure as hell seems like it.

Last edited by chris88z24; 11-02-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:56 PM

OP: NOOOOOOOooOOOoO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:09 PM

Cat this car, I have a spun metal matrix cat and it still sounds a little shitty on cold start, on a turbo car, open dp end of exhaust, mmmmm sexy
Old 11-03-2010, 12:35 AM

It IS LOUD! I know it's ******' loud because I've ran that setup before. You have a catless, fartcanned exhaust. How can you say it isn't loud?! You're just used to it, but don't tell the people that are thinking about changing their setup that it isn't loud, because it IS.

I bought the Megan a couple years ago because you idiots on here said it wasn't loud when cruising, just when you get on it but it has a "deep, throaty" tone to it. BULLSHIT! It sounds like ass, and is LOUD, all of the ******* time. And I was even on stock mani and CATTED downpipe at the time!

YOU PEOPLE ARE INSANE. These are (or were) $24,000 sport compacts, not $500 Civics. I don't get why people rice the **** out of these cars when they're actually pretty nice vehicles to have, especially if you're a younger kid.

Is there some kind of educational and/or language barrier that prevents relevant (and tried/true) information from reaching your heads? There sure as hell seems like it.
lol as long as it wasn't directed towards me. your wrong in some ways though, you cant tell me what my car sounds like or what it has. im very picky with exhaust notes, trust me. my friends can say the same. it had a 20" magnaflow resonator and a magnaflow oval muffler so you cant tell me that i have a fart can or a megan exhaust. its your fault that you went on word of mouth alone and bought the system. i dont kno who you are talking to me like a kid, i kno what the hell im doing when it comes to modding a cobalt. yes i do ask questions from time to time with the local peeps but since i joined this forum i kno what and what not to do. im not entirely saying your only talking to me but the way how you word your statements implies that i have no idea what im doing when it comes to exhaust systems....... just say'n.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:47 AM

im with chris88z24 catless on lsj sounds like ass i say cat it!
Old 11-03-2010, 01:41 AM

Here is how mine sounds catless at WOT.

YouTube - Cobalt SS GM2 60-120
Old 11-03-2010, 02:01 AM

completely agree. i have no idea why people say catless SC sounds good and go around bashing the loud hondas with fart cans. those 2 sound exactly the same to me...
Old 11-03-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by hawlyns711
I run the stock cat-back/muffler with a zzp catless downpipe and cutout, I love how it sounds.
this is the setup im going to try, jus minus the cutout.... i herd it sounds pretty good, and a decent power increase?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOL! That's why. How many times must it be reiterated? Buy a nice cat-back. Not this foreign China made ******* cheap ass crap. Megan racing = Cheap ass pot-metal tubing with a cheap ass muffler and resonator.

Most exhausts for the Cobalt are cheap as hell and sound like dick. They're all mass produced pieces of ****. The only way you get a good exhaust is custom. Clear Image Automotive makes the best cat-back for the SS/SC hands down. It is very expensive, but they have spent TONS and TONS of time designing that exhaust. They are 100% built to order, you can pick your size resonator, muffler, tip, how you want it set up (2-bolt flange, 3-bolt flange, slip joint, or v-band which is what I did).

Also, you have to remember that, (random estimate), 85% of Cobalts on here are running some sort of cheap ass shorty exhaust manifold, not a true long-tube header. It is extremely known at this time, that a true long-tube is going to quiet your exhaust note down a very considerable amount. You've also got to take into consideration most people use 2-bolt flange, which is basically a joke for holding an exhaust together, as it is very known to leak all the time. Clear Image Automotive, took in a Cobalt with a 2-bolt flange, and visibly, everything was bolted up correctly, and they ran a test and found out that it was leaky, enough to distort sound, and give it that "tinny" sound, even when they used brand new gaskets and hardware, and bolted it up correctly.

The reason I bring this up, is because most people use 2-bolt flange, and any exhaust leak, even extremely small, is going to produce an increase in exhaust note, especially at higher RPMs.

The only way you are 100% fool-proof is to either have a completely welded exhaust, which isn't very practical if you need to remove it, or, the better option, and what I'll be doing, is v-band the entire exhaust. All in all, you get what you pay for, and what you put into it. Buy quality ****, and spend the extra time and money to make it right, and there will be no problems. Catless or not.

Quick Reply: cat or no cat that is the quiestion?