2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Clutch dilema need input PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch dilema need input PLEASE!!!

Finally turned over 9000 on my car and my reward is stock clutch is toast. So, here is my dilema, I am debating on the Spec Stage 2 Plus and Spec flywheel or the Exedy Stage 3 Hyper-Single flywheel combo. I am trying to avoid clutch chatter and harsh engagement as much as possible, do you think this is possible? The Stage 2 Plus is a solid disc and I was told by a guy at Spec that this would be less radical than your standard 6 puck disc. Now on the other hand, I have heard through the forums that the Spec clutches are real hit or miss and alot of people are saying that they don't like them. The Exedy clutch is a little more expensive, by approx. $80, but I am not hearing too many bad things about them either. So my next question is, who has what clutch and are any of them close to stock as far as feel and engagement? I drove a Spec Stage 3 over the weekend and it was difficult to get used to. I am almost sure that my wife couldn't drive it. So your input would be greatly appreciated and very helpful. Thanks! Sorry if any of this might sound like a repost, but I am on a time frame here and need to get this taken care of as soon as possible.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:31 PM

I have a spec 2+ and a fidenzza aluminum flywheel . As far as noise ...ummm , its been noisy on decel in gear since day one . Now that disc is wore down a bit ( Ive got 36,000 miles on my spec ) its now really chattery at idle if the clutch isnt pushed in . I love the combo together , but when i do the slave/TB in couple weeks , I will likely throw a steel flywheel back in .

As far as performance and feel ....its been a perfect clutch . Engagement is high on the pedal , the feel is very stock like , just a wee bit firmer . Ive never had time where this clutch wouldnt hold . I drive my car hard at the track , I do powershift often and I do race alot . The spec has taken all I throw at it . Which really surprises me , given all the people that have had probs with Spec .
Old 06-13-2007, 11:45 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
i have a spec stage 2+ on a stock flywheel. it grabs like a sob. it chatters like hell too. and boy is it noisy on decel. my engagement point is different everytime i let go of the pedal not sure why that is. But it really grips well
Old 06-13-2007, 01:19 PM

Thanks guys I relly appreciate the imput. Im curious how many people out there have an exedy clutch and what they think also.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by staged06
Thanks guys I relly appreciate the imput. Im curious how many people out there have an exedy clutch and what they think also.
Exedy drives nothing like stock...lightning fast engagement, uber grippy, no chatter. Its about the closest you can get to a race clutch and still drive it everyday. I LOVE mine.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by djt81185
Exedy drives nothing like stock...lightning fast engagement, uber grippy, no chatter. Its about the closest you can get to a race clutch and still drive it everyday. I LOVE mine.
What do you mean by lightning fast engagement? As soon as you start releasing the pedal it begins grabbing, or is it more of a stock engagement point towards the end of the pedal?
Old 06-13-2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by damien
What do you mean by lightning fast engagement? As soon as you start releasing the pedal it begins grabbing, or is it more of a stock engagement point towards the end of the pedal?
Towards the end of the pedal. It has a very narrow engagement window. But once you become used to it u can get it going from a stop without touching the gas if you so desire.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:36 PM

No chatter at all? So Im guessing you recommend the exedy huh?
Old 06-13-2007, 01:56 PM

I am picking up a Spec Stage 3 + 6 puck disk and spec flywheel combo. I would be interested as well to here more on this clutch. One thing I would like to know is anyone haveing problems shifting at WOT with these clutches or any clutch for that matter. There a theory being worked on as to why sometimes we need to double clutch sometimes after a WOT run to get these cars to shift and we believe it may have something to do with the slave cylinder. So please add some imput and if our test case works I will reveille the fix to you.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kaisoboy
I am picking up a Spec Stage 3 + 6 puck disk and spec flywheel combo. I would be interested as well to here more on this clutch. One thing I would like to know is anyone haveing problems shifting at WOT with these clutches or any clutch for that matter. There a theory being worked on as to why sometimes we need to double clutch sometimes after a WOT run to get these cars to shift and we believe it may have something to do with the slave cylinder. So please add some imput and if our test case works I will reveille the fix to you.
I never have to double clutch the exedy even at 7000+rpm. And yes i recommend the exedy but just remember what i wrote about how it drives
Old 06-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Doc

I love the exedy....it takes getting used to. Your calf and thigh get a workout.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:38 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by djt81185
I never have to double clutch the exedy even at 7000+rpm. And yes i recommend the exedy but just remember what i wrote about how it drives
I was not stating that the problem some are having is the clutch. I stated that we were thinking that it might be the Slave cylinder. I am just trying to get some imput on what I should do as I have already ordered the Spec kit because the Exedy was on back order nation wide and I needed a clutch ASAP and I could not get an answer as to when they would have them in stock.

There is talk about boring out the restrictions in the Slave cylinder and I want to see if this is nessesary or if the problem people ar having is because A. There clutch is worn out. B. bad install or C. Is this just how are cars react and is the slave restricting the flow/pressure of fluid on the back stroke and if so is that why some have to double clutch to get the fluid moving and the car back into gear.

Cheer and thanks for your input.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
This week ONLY we will offer 5% off all SPEC clutches, if you order a SPEC Clutch AND SPEC Flywheel we can get you 8% off. Agian this week ONLY... PM us for the discount code.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
This week ONLY we will offer 5% off all SPEC clutches, if you order a SPEC Clutch AND SPEC Flywheel we can get you 8% off. Agian this week ONLY... PM us for the discount code.
Hi Aaron

Sorry man. I have already ordered it here in calgary at the Mutdang shop. The are having it expedited so I can have it instaled Monday. I got it CAD a bit lower than your 8% and I like to help out the local vendors when I can. Thanks for the heads up though and I will keep you in mined if I need anything in the future.

Cheers

PS. Sorry to jack your thread Staged06 but I just thought it was worth asking for all involved with a clutch swap.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:23 PM

Great info guys and keep it comin. One of my friends just ordered the exedy hyper single so I guess Ill have to check that out before I buy.But from what I have heard through various people, exedy is the way to go.