2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Clutch Slip & Bad Master Cylinder. Any connection?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:43 AM
LSJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Slip & Bad Master Cylinder. Any connection?

I was at the track yesterday.. I launched at 2K, everything was fine, then I hit 2nd, and my RPM's just shot to redline, yet I wasn't going anywhere. I got scared so I let off right away, and drove normal down the track. The car drove fine, completely fine.

What would be the correlation with this problem? From what I have heard/read the Master Cylinder is a common problem on these cars, but what about the Slave Cylinder?

The clutch does not slip due to clutch malfunction in itself, so please do not emphasize this.

Hopefully you guys can help! Thanks!

Old 10-19-2010, 09:38 AM
LSJ

Bump! Anyone?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
May be a stupid question but did you have the floor mat in by chance? Exact same thing happened to me my first time at the track and it ended up being my floormat catching the pedal.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LSJ
I was at the track yesterday.. I launched at 2K, everything was fine, then I hit 2nd, and my RPM's just shot to redline, yet I wasn't going anywhere. I got scared so I let off right away, and drove normal down the track. The car drove fine, completely fine.

What would be the correlation with this problem? From what I have heard/read the Master Cylinder is a common problem on these cars, but what about the Slave Cylinder?

The clutch does not slip due to clutch malfunction in itself, so please do not emphasize this.

Hopefully you guys can help! Thanks!

The disc could be worn, or , the pressure plate could be weak. Thats what happened to my last clutch. The disc was fine, yet my clutch slipped. Turned out to be my pressure plate was weak after only 3 years. It wasn't giving enough clamping force to the disc and flywheel. Allowing it to slip. You never know, just my two cents.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stock pressure plate is weak from factory. you need to make sure you have full traction at the top of first before you throw 2nd gear. common user error
Old 10-19-2010, 10:37 PM
LSJ

Originally Posted by Bluelightning
May be a stupid question but did you have the floor mat in by chance? Exact same thing happened to me my first time at the track and it ended up being my floormat catching the pedal.
Yeah I though that was it at first!! Lol!

Turned out it wasn't.. So much for an easy fix..

Originally Posted by 06-SS/SC
The disc could be worn, or , the pressure plate could be weak. Thats what happened to my last clutch. The disc was fine, yet my clutch slipped. Turned out to be my pressure plate was weak after only 3 years. It wasn't giving enough clamping force to the disc and flywheel. Allowing it to slip. You never know, just my two cents.
Good possibility.

I will start with bleeding the clutch and brakes with fresh fluid (doing it tomorrow).

Then if that doesn't fix it, I will replace the master, and if that doesn't fix it, then the clutch, and the slave cylinder, while I'm at it.

Always start with the cheapest and easiest solution first. Otherwise you're wasting money and time.

Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
stock pressure plate is weak from factory. you need to make sure you have full traction at the top of first before you throw 2nd gear. common user error
No traction in first, then banging second, wouldn't necessarily make the clutch stick halfway and let it slip (sounds more like air in the lines/contaminated fluid, or a master/slave cylinder problem, TBH, which is real common on these cars). Weak pressure plate from the factory is definitely a possibility though!

Thank you guys for the help so far!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:37 PM

my car will do this when im near redline so i shift early in first at like 5500rpm-5900 and i dont get the clutch slip but if you get out of it and right back into it you will grab fine, its a weak clutch from factory just waiting on mine to puke befor i replace it