2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Coolant System Q's

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant System Q's

Ok, I have been nosing around and have found little bits of information here and there, so in an effort to simplify things I am posting all my questions in one place.

1. The GM dual pass end-plate, is that only available with the stage 3 kit, or are there places to find it separate?

2. In the option B schematic for the GM end-plate per that diagram on crate engine depot, what purpose does the .040" orifice serve? What does it hook up to?

3. also, in the option B schematic, the second overflow reservoir is strictly an expansion tank and does not increase the actual amount of coolant in the system?

4. Would the extra overflow tank be more beneficial or would a large capacity coolant reservoir be more beneficial with the dual pas end-plate setup? Are there larger tanks we could buy or would it be a custom fabrication item? I remember on one of the threads someone said they were getting one made?

5. Stupid question: engine coolant and IC coolant systems are separate right?

I apologize for the possible repetitiveness of this post, but please help it would take days to dig all this info up,plus it could help someone else like me.

You guys are the best thanks in adance
Old 05-05-2007, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by SuperEco06
Ok, I have been nosing around and have found little bits of information here and there, so in an effort to simplify things I am posting all my questions in one place.

1. The GM dual pass end-plate, is that only available with the stage 3 kit, or are there places to find it separate?

2. In the option B schematic for the GM end-plate per that diagram on crate engine depot, what purpose does the .040" orifice serve? What does it hook up to?

3. also, in the option B schematic, the second overflow reservoir is strictly an expansion tank and does not increase the actual amount of coolant in the system?

4. Would the extra overflow tank be more beneficial or would a large capacity coolant reservoir be more beneficial with the dual pas end-plate setup? Are there larger tanks we could buy or would it be a custom fabrication item? I remember on one of the threads someone said they were getting one made?

5. Stupid question: engine coolant and IC coolant systems are separate right?

I apologize for the possible repetitiveness of this post, but please help it would take days to dig all this info up,plus it could help someone else like me.

You guys are the best thanks in adance
1. Yes seperate at crateenginedepot

5. No dexcool 50/50

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P1694C196.aspx

Last edited by Mikey851; 05-05-2007 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5. Yes they are seperate coolant systems (although the both use 50/50 Dexcool)
WOT
Old 05-05-2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by WopOnTour
5. Yes they are seperate coolant systems (although the both use 50/50 Dexcool)
WOT
Haha, I didn't see where he said SYSTEMS. I thought he was asking about the type of coolant.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:49 PM

lol thanks guys, hey WOT, i was reading yur post how to turn on the IC pump on when ignition power is on, could that be used for bleeding the system of air after the endplate install?
Old 05-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Premium Member

Sure, it would work for that but just idling the engine will for 5-10 minutes leaving the cap off will work fine too. (The pump runs whenever the enine is running) It's a good idea to remove or at least "crack" the bleeder on the RH side top of the CAC radiator when filling a system that was completely drained.
Wop
Old 05-06-2007, 12:53 AM

cac radiator? as you can tell I know little about coolant systems, but im going to guess that you mean the normal radiator.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

Sorry bout that.
No, the intercooler (Charge Air Cooler-CAC) has it's own radiator sandwiched between your AC condensor and the engine cooling radiator. If you look you can see there are a pair of bleeder screws on top of that "middle" rad. Removing the RH (passenger side) fitting while filling the CAC system coolant is recommended to prevent an air pocket being trapped within the sytem.If you remove the RH headlamp, it might be eaisier to access the fitting. Once coolant comes out the top while filling, you can reinsert the fitting. (I always use a bit of liquid teflon pipe sealant on the threads)Then top-up the CAC and start the engine with the cap off and run for 5 minutes. Top it up once more, cap it, and away you go.

HTH
Wop
Old 05-06-2007, 12:59 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
While we're on this note, the only plumbing going to the Option B tank is the 1/4 tubing for expansion, right??

I can set you up with a dual-pass endplate, check the last post on the first page of the link in my sig.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:11 PM

Thanks joe, i'll keep you in mind, got a couple mods I need to do first before I get to the IC upgrades (mounts/axles/Bushings),

so what is a better mod to do first the HE relocation or Dual Pass?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:52 AM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Well, from the way I see it, dual-pass actually gives greater cooling at the manifold where you need it, giving lower IAT2 temps. Second H/E only reduces heat soak, but does not actually let you cool the air anymore, just keep stock temps for longer. I did the dual pass first, but I have a second H/E in the mail and will be doing the second surge tank and H/E sometime next weekend.

Originally Posted by SuperEco06
Thanks joe, i'll keep you in mind, got a couple mods I need to do first before I get to the IC upgrades (mounts/axles/Bushings),

so what is a better mod to do first the HE relocation or Dual Pass?
I agree with the bushings/mounts, makes a HUGE difference, and far more important. I have no wheelhop now and I don't think I'll have any axle problems unless I add slicks and just launch the crap out of the car.

Last edited by ItalianJoe1; 05-07-2007 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-07-2007, 09:17 AM

joe, i think option B calls for replacing the 5 psi tank we currently have, unless I am reading it incorrectly
Old 05-07-2007, 02:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
1. You can buy the dual pass seperate. crateenginedepot has them.

2. The .040" orifice goes inside the 1/4 tubing going from the top of the Heat Exchanger to the reservoir. Its purpose is to restrict air from coming back into the HE from the reservoir.

3. The second reservoir is mainly just an overflow/expansion. It does increase total IC system capacity but not by alot.

4. You can use other tanks. The more coolant you can have in it the better you can resist heat soak. Usually just getting a second HE is an efficient way of accomplishing this.

5. Yes, the systems are seperate.

- Also, the stock system has a 5psi cap but there isn't an overflow. You simply look in the clear tube to see if there is fluid in it or not.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:10 PM

Should i get a dual pass i/c with the mods i have in my sig, is it really important ?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:50 PM

thanks RNj, that summed it up nicely, my only question is how much coolant should I run? for example, if I do the 15PSI tank and delete the 5 Psi tank, how would I go about increasing the amount of fluid I would use without using a second HE? a Second 15 psi tank?

as I see it as you increase fluid amount you would need a larger tank for it all to expand to properly correct? or do I have the wrong idea about this all-together.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If you use a second heat exchanger you can almost double the amount of coolant in the system (depending on what HE you use).

If you were to go with the expansion tank option when doing the plumbing you would probably increase the amount of coolant by about a quart or so - but it does allow a little more room for expansion and contraction of the coolant as well. Without using a second Heat Exchanger there is really no way to increase the amount of coolant by much more then a quart or two.

The more fluid you add the more room you need for expansion - however the coolant should not expand or contract by a lot. The main reason for using the expansion tank when doing the dual pass IC is that the hose coming from the top of the HE constantly bleeds air out of the system.