2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.
View Poll Results: What meth injection should I buy?
Cooling mist
18.97%
Devils Own
63.79%
Other (please list)
17.24%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Cooling mist VS. Devils Own.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by devilsown
Must not be married, then you would know what its like to always be in trouble. Then again maybe its just me because i am always in trouble
"honey it was just a lap dance i swear!"

nope, not married.

i learn from other peoples mistakes
Old 12-03-2007, 03:58 PM
AIS
Non Authorized / Non-Supporting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Area47
it also does wierd **** to cylinder walls and bearings. not very engine friendly at all.

so green or red stuff going into combustion chamber, it doesn't combust cleanly, could sludge up the pump, nozzle and bad things will happen. don't use it. period.
Area47,

Yes you are correct. "Propylene glycol, Diethylene glycol, Ethylene glycol. pick one!" Are all deicers. So is methanol and many other forms of alcohols. It should also be noted that Ethylene Glycol is an alcohol.

You never answered my question. What is a "deicer"? I did not ask for various forms of deicing agents. I wanted you to explain what a deicer was and why it's bad? Not list as many deicers as you can. A "deicer" is any thing which is added to a fluid to prevent or help prevent it from freezing.

"Methanol" is deicer. So is isopropyl and ethyl alcohol both commonly used as deicing agents in windshield wiper fluid. Not much ethylene glycol is being used anymore, (when it is used only 1-4% is used more commonly in conjunction with methanol) due to its being toxic and with it's sweet taste, animals such as dogs will drink it.

So what you are telling members that any windshield washer fluid that says "deicer" is bad which is untrue. Windshield washer fluid can say "deicer" on the label and only contain water and methanol. The term "deicer" does not signify any particular type of ingredient nor should members think of it as being bad. Again, even if it did contain ethylene glycol its only 1-5% this is of no concern to the engine. Will explain why below.

The reason I asked you what a "deicer" was is not because I didn't know but yet I wanted you to complete your post with a reason why you were telling members not to run any windshield washer fluid with a "deicer". It's these sort of posts which are misleading and untrue.

I would like to see members post valid information. Not just posting their 2 cents without out actually backing it up with an explanation as to why or checking for themselves to make sure the information they posted is accurate.

Anyone can go to Wikipedia and look up what Ethylene Glycol is (or for that matter just about anything else) if they do not know and fake the funk by posting in their own words the definition of it. Surely, if I didn't know what ethylene Glycol was I could have done this.

Lets go through what you posted.

"Propylene glycol, Diethylene glycol, Ethylene glycol. pick one!

all have similar make ups, just do slightly different things. glycol is used in antifreeze to lower the freezing point of water below 31 degree's. some forms of glycol are used in moisturizers, makeup, smoke machines, and base for de-icing fluids for air planes.
or used as a "anti boil" so to speak.

why is this bad? it doesn't burn well. methanol and alcohol have a low flash point in terms of what temperatures will cause it to burn. which is why i don't run straight meth. clear fire is not fun. the basis behind glycol is to transfer heat, or to remove water vapor. depends on the form, and it's intention.

im sure im way off. it's ok"

“it also does wierd **** to cylinder walls and bearings. not very engine friendly at all.

so green or red stuff going into combustion chamber, it doesn't combust cleanly, could sludge up the pump, nozzle and bad things will happen. don't use it. Period.”

Before we get into more details about Ethylene Glycol lets first point out that not all windshield washer fluids contain it. But when they do, they generally contain only 1-5 percent.

Ethylene Glycol doesn't burn well on it's own in a solid form. Meaning it's requires a lot of heat to burn it. It's auto ignition point is 410 c. If anything it acts as a effective anti-detonate helping suppress detonation.

Ethylene Glycol is colorless. It is not what determines the color of the windshield washer fluid. Added coloring agents due which are never listed in MSDS sheets because its only 1% and harmless.

It doesn't combust cleanly. Yes it does. This is not a petroleum based product. This is an odorless, colorless substance when in it's pure form. Evne when added to water or methanol it still is burns cleanly. Lets see some pictures of engines or pumps with sludge.

Ethylene Glycol will not create or build sludge in your pump or your cog your nozzles. Common sense here. If it were to create sludge and clogged pumps why would windshield washer manufactures use it in windshield washer fluid if it can clog the pump. Washer pumps operate at a much lower pressure. Ethylene Glycol is soluble in water which is why it is mixed with water when making washer fluid.

You mentioned "it also does weird sh*$ to cylinder walls and bearings. not very engine friendly at all."

Ethylene Glycol does not have any effect on cylinder walls when used in washer fluid. Again, not all washer fluids contain it. When they do it's only 1-5%. Ethylene Glycol is form of alcohol and will burn. It does have a high temperature of ignition, yet it will burn.Keep in mind while this may only be 1-5% of some washer fluids, then consider how much actual fluid is being injected into an engine when water methanol injection is used. I don't have the time to break it down into an exact amount but I'm sure readers can imagine how little it really is in the end.

"bad for bearings"

Not sure why or what Ethylene Glycol it's doing in the oil of an engine. We have other issues at hand if it is in the engines oil. Water for that matter is also bad to have in your oil. Ditto. Please explain why we should be concerned if it gets on the bearings.

"not very engine friendly at all"

Couldn't be farther from the truth. Go re-read Wikipedia again and under "uses" you will see the first and most common use of Ethylene Glycol is for automobile applications in which it's used in antifreeze and windshield washer fluid. Antifreeze circulates through the engines block and heads perfectly fine on both aluminum and iron blocks. And of course it's used in windshield washer fluid which is safe to spray on your windshield and also have over spray on your painted surfaces with little or no effect.

So readers, I could have easily stated that windshield washer fluids which contain ethylene glycol are perfectly fine for your engines. Instead I backed up my point with examples and reasons. Not just speculation.

Quite simply, I could have also stated their are hundreds if not thousands of people who have used washer fluid containing Ethylene Glycol and not experienced one problem. I can't back this up but I'm sure you can understand the logic in it.

Rodney,
You can try to mock me all you want but the fact is being an alcohol injection dealer you should have a basic understanding of how alcohol injection system work, Chemical compatibility, used parts etc.
If you don't know the answer to something its usually best to not post than make something up
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...1&postcount=36
Nomax seals I have seen you post this on other forums. I just didn't correct you.

You should know but the answer. But to help catch you up.
1. Because the chemicals commonly used are not good for the seals in the pump.
2. Not good for your engine either.

Devils Own,

Sense were on a first name basis, yes my name is Rodney and I am part owner of this company. Would you be so kind to tell us all what's your name and your position so we know if we are talking to the owner or part owner of Devils Own.

I assure I have more then a basic understanding of water methanol injection as you will find out more. As for your comment on the seals. We have never sold pumps with anything other then EPDM seals. We are aware of standard Shurflo pumps which are not made with EPDM seals, valves and gaskets. Again, I don't sell those sort of pumps nor do I have full knowledge of them. So I stand corrected. You are right. Shurflo makes pumps with Viton materials not Nomex. I made a mistake on the material used but did go on to mention these pumps will not tolerate mixes greater then 50/50 water methanol as it will deteriorate the seals, valves and gaskets.

Moving forward, I will say you have made quite a few mistakes in these two posts which I have highlighted. I would have not made a big deal over this had I not thought these post were deliberate attempts to mislead and confuse customers and forum members. It’s one thing if a private member does it but you are a water methanol company and should not have made so many untrue statements. I understand promoting your products but the way in which you are doing it should not be tolerated and business should be called on it when they do. Either you have made 10 simple mistakes or this is all propaganda to clearly sell your product and create confusion so member will not buy windshield washer fluid or other competing companies products.

I suggest you read your post over sentence by sentence.

My response coming out Friday 7th pm EST.

Last edited by AIS; 12-03-2007 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Rent me! per hour

what happens to dex-cool when it meets air for extended periods of time. it gunks up, in short for lack of better terminology. what does dex cool contain? a form of glycol. i knew years ago, before 90% of the "water injection" companies were on the market that fluid containing "de-icer" was bad for the engine. does anti-freeze come in contact with the engine bearings? no. coolant doesn't go anywhere near the bearings. what does? oil. do engines have perfect sealing rings? no. hence leak downs. what happens when the car runs to rich? the oil smells of raw fuel.
now keep that in mind.

what happens when you introduce a large quanity of, say coolant to the combustion chamber? not all of it is burned. some is pushed out of the exhaust. some goes past the rings. what happens after it goes past the rings? it hits the oil. then the bearings. so you explain to me how glycol is good for the engine in this aspect?

the info was NOT if wiki. if i wanted to, i can do a search and post everything from there if you would like.

anything else you want to add to this?
Old 12-03-2007, 04:52 PM
AIS

what happens to dex-cool when it meets air for extended periods of time. it gunks up, in short for lack of better terminology. what does dex cool contain? a form of glycol. i knew years ago, before 90% of the "water injection" companies were on the market that fluid containing "de-icer" was bad for the engine. does anti-freeze come in contact with the engine bearings? no. coolant doesn't go anywhere near the bearings. what does? oil. do engines have perfect sealing rings? no. hence leak downs. what happens when the car runs to rich? the oil smells of raw fuel.
now keep that in mind.

what happens when you introduce a large quanity of, say coolant to the combustion chamber? not all of it is burned. some is pushed out of the exhaust. some goes past the rings. what happens after it goes past the rings? it hits the oil. then the bearings. so you explain to me how glycol is good for the engine in this aspect?

the info was NOT if wiki. if i wanted to, i can do a search and post everything from there if you would like.

anything else you want to add to this?
Dex-cool is a radiator anti-freeze coolant. Your comparing radiator fluid with winshield wiper fluid. I made it clear we were talking about winshield washer fluid which only containes 1-5% ethylene glycol. Dex-Cool containes the following

Ethylene Glycol 107-21-1 80 - 96.99 %weight (it's mostly Ethylene Glycol)
Diethylene glycol 111-46-6 1 - 4.99 %weight
Potassium 2-ethylhexanoate 3164-85-0 1 - 4.99 %weight
Water 7732-18-5 1 - 2.99 %weight

We also do not use radiator fluid in pure form. We always mix it to the instructions listed by the manufacture on the container. If you run pure radiator fluid the engine will run hotter. You mentioned earlier the basis behind glycol is to transfer heat. I don't know for sure off the top of my head but this also doesn't seem true. I would have to look into this one. I don't know for sure.

Hardly far to make a comparisions but ok. Yes if you blow a head gasket and have anti-freeze/coolant sucked into the cylinder, at these amounts, it will go past the rings and into the oil. How is this a fair comparision to a properly oprating water methanol injection system. Ditto.

You mentioned it again. Deicers are bad for engines. A deicer is also methanol, ethyl, isoporpyl, etc. A deicer is anything which is added to a fluid to prevent or help prevent it from freezing. Jus tbecause the label says deicer does not mean it containes a certain type of product in it.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Rent me! per hour

it's good to see someone admit out in the open when they do not know the answer.

will glycol hurt engines? yes if used a lot over a long period of time. does meth/alky/water seep past the rings? yes. ever smelled the exhaust on a catless car running water injection after a hard run? yea, it smells. did 100% of it burn up in the combustion chambers? no. pull the dipstick, there will be a trace smell of it there as well. can't away from it.

you don't have to repeat yourself. i know exactly what i typed out, and why i typed it out.

you keep dancing around the exact answer, all you're doing is tearing apart what im typing bit by bit. i know what dex-cool is. i know where it goes. i also know it does a better job on the ground then it does in the motor.

go back through and read what i typed. it's called comparison. i know what contains what. im far from new to this game.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Former Vendor

So what you going to give out when 10 is not reached I love gemic tactics.

Another alcohol injection company that says brass is not compatible either. Very last line.. snowperformance.net/news_item.php?prk=30
Brass and other soft metals aren't even methanol resistant.
Like it or not Brass and alum are not compatible. I know coolingmist uses it in many of there items, Does not mean they should be using them. But i guess us and snow are just wrong arent we?

You can call me chance. I got your name from when you PM.

You spend 20 dollars and have your oil analyzed. You can see glycol in the oil if its used with the water/meth mix... We test anything we can think of before providing a product to sell.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:53 PM
AIS

it's good to see someone admit out in the open when they do not know the answer.

will glycol hurt engines? yes if used a lot over a long period of time. does meth/alky/water seep past the rings? yes. ever smelled the exhaust on a catless car running water injection after a hard run? yea, it smells. did 100% of it burn up in the combustion chambers? no. pull the dipstick, there will be a trace smell of it there as well. can't away from it.

you don't have to repeat yourself. i know exactly what i typed out, and why i typed it out.

you keep dancing around the exact answer, all you're doing is tearing apart what im typing bit by bit. i know what dex-cool is. i know where it goes. i also know it does a better job on the ground then it does in the motor.

go back through and read what i typed. it's called comparison. i know what contains what. im far from new to this game.

Your comparing Dex-cool which is 80-96.99% Ethylene Glycol which contains 2.99% water to windshield washer fluid which if it contains Ethylene glycol only contains 1-5% ethylene glycol. This is hardly a fair comparison or analogy.

The simple fact of all this is that users can use windshield wiper fluids which contain small amounts of ethylene glycol without any concern. Amounts of this percentage are insignificant and there is no harm to the engine or water methanol injection system.

Regardless of the type of fluid used, if the user is over spraying any type of fluid adverse results can occur. This is why with every order we size the nozzles according to the customers applications rather then just sending them a range of nozzles.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Former Vendor

So why are you using parts that all the alcohol injection company's open admit are not compatible?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:58 PM
AIS

So what you going to give out when 10 is not reached I love gemic tactics.

Another alcohol injection company that says brass is not compatible either. Very last line.. snowperformance.net/news_item.php?prk=30

Like it or not Brass and alum are not compatible. I know coolingmist uses it in many of there items, Does not mean they should be using them. But i guess us and snow are just wrong arent we?

You can call me chance. I got your name from when you PM.

You spend 20 dollars and have your oil analyzed. You can see glycol in the oil if its used with the water/meth mix... We test anything we can think of before providing a product to sell.
No, we are giving away a FREE system no matter what. No games here.

Stay tuned for your response on Friday. Brass will be mentioned in it.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Rent me! per hour

the basis behind this is glycol. nothing more, nothing less.

i knew back in 1997 when i first started playing with water injection that "de-icer" winshield fluid was a no go for internal combustion engines.

do an experiment. run a gallon of the deicer crap through any car you have a kit on. hell even your own car for all it matters to me. leave the oil be. have that oil sample sent of for testing. then change the oil. do the same test with straight washer fluid. no deicer crap. have that sample sent off.

i know the facts behind it, even if you don't want to hear it. im not bashing you as a company, i just don't enjoy being questions over and over again.

you asked a question. there is an answer in there.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Former Vendor

If you need a week to come up with a response to brass, Then be it. I know some chemical companys will rate brass as excellent rating with water and also with methanol. The reason is because the brass is not effected by the chemical meaning it will not eat at it. Now there is a chemical reaction that happens with the methanol that leaves crap thru the system. Since we are talking about Dex cool. You know how that will leave crap in the system if air gets in? Same deal here. If you want the maxium life out of the components of the system Don't use bare brass.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:21 PM

if you want to get technical about alcohols KOH potassium hydroxide is an alcohol due to the hydroxide[OH-] polyatomic ion; however what makes an alcohol an alcohol and a hydroxide a hydroxide is the combination of an organic group wheter it be CH3+[methanol] C2H5+[ethanol] C3H7+[propanol, isopropyanol] C4H9+[butanol] ethylene glycol while an alcohol has 2 OH- ions on it so it would be in expanded form HOCH2CH2CH2OH ethylene glycol is also much more viscous than other alcohols

from wiki

Ethylene glycol may also be used as a protecting group for carbonyl groups in organic synthesis. Reacting a ketone or aldehyde with ethylene glycol will, with acid catalyst (e.g. p-toluenesulfonic acid; BF3ˇEt2O), give a cyclic acetal — a 1,3-dioxolane, which is resistant to bases and other nucleophiles. The 1,3-dioxolane protecting group can thereafter be removed, e.g. by further acid hydrolysis.[3] In this example, isophorone was protected using ethylene glycol with p-toluenesulfonic acid in moderate yield. Water was removed by azeotropic distillation to shift the equilibrium to the right.[4]

guess where carbonyl and aldehydes exist? Gasoline...ethylene glycol is making corosive base resistant acids

one must also remember that hydrocarbon combustion like in a FI engine happens as such

R + 02-----> CO2 + H2O so one must also know that CO2 is corosive well what else is ethylene glycol used for[for semantic purposes its actually triethylene glycol] the natural gas industry which uses it to dehydrate methane CH4 which chemically is similar to........Methanol CH3OH

ORGANIC CHEMISTRY The more you know.....*
Old 12-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Former Vendor

I am calling you out.. I know you are just a coolingmist dealer and being new to methanol injection you don't releazie you selling a product that had parts that will not hold up to the intended us. Bare Brass is bad.

You familiar with dexcool? Red coolant that gm uses thats famous for leaving slug in the cooling system when air gets into the system. What happens when you let air into the system? Same thing with methanol and Brass. Just sitting it in Meth will not harm the brass. Its the air bubbles in conjunction.

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/FJO/waterinjection.htm
Fjo recommends No Brass,raw or anodized aluminum
Last line

http://www.snowperformance.net/news_item.php?prk=30
Snow recommends No Brass and other soft metals
Last line

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/for...-risk-670.html
DevilsOwn
We even wrote an artical about it since there is so much misconceptions.

Aquamist
Well they don't use brass but could not find where they say not to.

But I guess we are all wrong.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:37 AM

i can see where they are coming from because you could put sodium in a solvent and say its safe against the solvent because it only "reacts" with water or oxygen...so if in any other liquid it wont "react" per se but a solvent will have an effect on it...it will disolve but it didnt "react"
Old 12-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Former Vendor

it just makes me what to throw my hands up. I guess some of us do more R and D than others.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:43 AM

chemistry is a tricky subject
Old 12-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Rent me! per hour

Originally Posted by kyyankee
chemistry is a tricky subject
i just blow stuff up
Old 12-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Former Vendor

Both of us don't' want a vendor war to go on. We both hashed everything out by phone will both try our best to not ruin your forum posting environment. Sorry for turning your forum upsided down with the way we been acting.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:33 PM

i just blow stuff up
thats always the best
Old 12-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Rent me! per hour

Originally Posted by kyyankee
thats always the best
much more climatic when it happens

Old 12-04-2007, 12:44 PM

i actually thought it was nice because when things get heated u see the truth behind the systems and theres no bs lines to get u to buy it...i applaud u 2 for not getting too personally and keeping it on the systems..so what did we decide? both know there **** and both have a different aspect on which way to go? or did i miss something? my only question is devils own reliabilty on the check valve personally

Last edited by Raven SS; 12-05-2007 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:54 PM

wow are you guys even debating the systems anymore or each others knowledge in chemistry, lol.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:04 PM

I am calling you out.. I know you are just a coolingmist dealer and being new to methanol injection you don't releazie you selling a product that had parts that will not hold up to the intended us. Bare Brass is bad.

You familiar with dexcool? Red coolant that gm uses thats famous for leaving slug in the cooling system when air gets into the system. What happens when you let air into the system? Same thing with methanol and Brass. Just sitting it in Meth will not harm the brass. Its the air bubbles in conjunction.

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/FJO/waterinjection.htm
Fjo recommends No Brass,raw or anodized aluminum
Last line

http://www.snowperformance.net/news_item.php?prk=30
Snow recommends No Brass and other soft metals
Last line

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/for...-risk-670.html
DevilsOwn
We even wrote an artical about it since there is so much misconceptions.

Aquamist
Well they don't use brass but could not find where they say not to.

But I guess we are all wrong.

AquaMist uses aluminum quick connect fittings! I am using that kit on my car and Area47 and myself installed it... Just letting you know that!
Old 12-04-2007, 02:04 PM

a bit of both why do you ask
Old 12-04-2007, 02:05 PM

i just blow stuff up

And you are OOOOh, SOOOO good at it too!

Quick Reply: Cooling mist VS. Devils Own.