2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Cooling Mod Idea...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
It will have a way to mount it. I should have the first one in a few weeks.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ncstateredline
I also have a cobra reservoir waiting to be installed. I wouldn't want to add too much fluid to the system because even though the more you add will take longer to heat up, it's also going to take longer to cool off.
thats a horrible argument, the setup doesnt work equally both ways because they are setup different. The coolant heat exchanger holds alot more fluid and cools the fluid a hell of alot faster than the laminova cores can heat the fluid up. Also as soon as your out of boost the coolant is being cooled, with is prolly something like 99% of the time the car is on. The only time it is being heated up is under WOT. With this much fluid in the car you would pretty much have to be actually racing the car on a road coarse to heat the fluid up to what the intake temps are.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have a cobra reservoir waiting to be installed. I wouldn't want to add too much fluid to the system because even though the more you add will take longer to heat up, it's also going to take longer to cool off.
ummm WTF?
Old 09-18-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fast98
Yes ours is aluminum. It will be made for the cobalt first as I don't have a redline handy.
well if it fits the cobalt then it will fit the redline since they have twice as much space under the hood.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Platinum Member

what about a larger distance between the resivoir and the rest of the system, just like longer lines and what not
Old 09-18-2008, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Darkmanx
well if it fits the cobalt then it will fit the redline since they have twice as much space under the hood.
Yea, we have tons of room on that side of the car.......
Old 09-18-2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by -Jayson-
thats a horrible argument, the setup doesnt work equally both ways because they are setup different. The coolant heat exchanger holds alot more fluid and cools the fluid a hell of alot faster than the laminova cores can heat the fluid up. Also as soon as your out of boost the coolant is being cooled, with is prolly something like 99% of the time the car is on. The only time it is being heated up is under WOT. With this much fluid in the car you would pretty much have to be actually racing the car on a road coarse to heat the fluid up to what the intake temps are.
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about a reservoir (a tank), not another heat exchanger.

Originally Posted by Tazmanian_Dvl
ummm WTF?
see above

Last edited by ncstateredline; 09-18-2008 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-18-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
what about a larger distance between the resivoir and the rest of the system, just like longer lines and what not
doesn't matter...it's the added capacity that's the point...

Feel free to post a pic of the cobra i/c reservoir you're talking about.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

longer line distance WOULD add more capacity. you'll have to fill that distance with more coolant
Old 09-18-2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
longer line distance WOULD add more capacity. you'll have to fill that distance with more coolant
I thought you were saying would the longer lines be a problem with cooling which they won't...and yes adding longer lines would add capacity 3/4" X distance in capacity whatever that equates to.

Also...was doing some research and saw the stock cobra reservoir is 1 quart vs. aftermarket solutions that are 1 gallon. Gotta show me a pic.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by theneelster
I thought you were saying would the longer lines be a problem with cooling which they won't...and yes adding longer lines would add capacity 3/4" X distance in capacity whatever that equates to.

Also...was doing some research and saw the stock cobra reservoir is 1 quart vs. aftermarket solutions that are 1 gallon. Gotta show me a pic.
pi x(r)squared x height

1 ft of 3/4 inch hose equals 5.301 cubic inches or .0868 liters. 11.5 ft of hose equals a liter

doesn't matter...it's the added capacity that's the point...

Feel free to post a pic of the cobra i/c reservoir you're talking about.
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...d.php?t=111717

Last edited by ncstateredline; 09-18-2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-18-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fast98 i would be interested in that tank if you come out with it soon.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:00 AM

Update on my cooling mod: Me and my friend went searching at the junkyard today and i ended up getting this tank. I forgot what car it is out of but it is larger than the stock engine coolant tank and the hatrickstu one. It has an inlet for 3/4 inch but I had to drill another one in. I shouldnt have any problems with them both being on the bottom like this should i?
Old 09-19-2008, 01:06 AM

That's the same one I saw...looks like the size of the ls tank which seems small. If I'm going to lay out money for this one it's gotta be a whopper of a tank. I think stu was using a gallon jug. The stock coolant tank would be great so I guess we're going to be doing a little drilling.

Ideally I'd think you'd want the coolant from the manifold to drop in up top and pull back through the system on the bottom so that it can cool somewhat, at least that's what I'm going to attempt to do.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

how about a 5gallon bucket mounted in the trunk of the car. with all the fittings and pump and what not. that way. HUGE ass capacity, and longer lines...
Old 09-19-2008, 07:55 AM

That's the same one I saw...looks like the size of the ls tank which seems small. If I'm going to lay out money for this one it's gotta be a whopper of a tank. I think stu was using a gallon jug. The stock coolant tank would be great so I guess we're going to be doing a little drilling.

Ideally I'd think you'd want the coolant from the manifold to drop in up top and pull back through the system on the bottom so that it can cool somewhat, at least that's what I'm going to attempt to do.
It's really not that much, I got one $30 shipped. Stu is using a 1.5 qt tank, not a gallon. The cobra reservoir holds just under one qt.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:13 AM

The one i got ( in the picture) is definitely bigger than STU's and the stock one by far. It was just a PITA to find the fittings. Ended up going to lowes and home depot.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:00 AM

It's really not that much, I got one $30 shipped. Stu is using a 1.5 qt tank, not a gallon. The cobra reservoir holds just under one qt.
Which is double the capacity of the stock system..................as I said, I am going to mount it up for now, after I get the oil leaked fixed, today. Then when something better comes along that doesnt look like the back yard Ricer mod, I will install that. Lines will already have been run, and inlets/outlets are molded in, nothing to leak.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by runriot
Which is double the capacity of the stock system..................as I said, I am going to mount it up for now, after I get the oil leaked fixed, today. Then when something better comes along that doesnt look like the back yard Ricer mod, I will install that. Lines will already have been run, and inlets/outlets are molded in, nothing to leak.
Back yard ricer mod? I'm sorry but this looks a lot better than *other* reservoir tanks. This is the exact thing it was made for. It doesn't have glue and crap around the inlet/outlet and the cap even says intercooler.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:15 PM

Back yard ricer mod? I'm sorry but this looks a lot better than *other* reservoir tanks. This is the exact thing it was made for. It doesn't have glue and crap around the inlet/outlet and the cap even says intercooler.
Uh, I was refering to the other cooland tanks....the cobra one actually looks somewhat stock, got mine mounted up today, just gotta run the lines this next Friday. Local store was out of hose........
Old 09-20-2008, 10:58 PM

You have any pics of it riot? Do you know the size? I started setting up the tank i got from the junkyard but was wondering if i should run the cobra one.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:02 PM

I like my back yard ricer mod.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by flash13brandon
You have any pics of it riot? Do you know the size? I started setting up the tank i got from the junkyard but was wondering if i should run the cobra one.
I would have to go out and take some pics...............will do that in the daylight tommorrow. The hoses again arent ran yet, but you would get the ideal. I think its the way to go for now. It doubles the capacity, plus whatever the hoses give you, gets rid of that stupid fill neck, and has the pressurized cap. If it only had a 1/4" outlet on it, you could run that back to the bleeder whole in the intercooler........

Originally Posted by JimzSS
I like my back yard ricer mod.
There's nothing wrong with it, just doesnt look all that good, its cheap to do, if you did it yourself...................

I just wouldnt trust the glued on fittings...........although I am sure they will work fine.......

I am going to talk with the machinest at work on Monday, see what he may be able to come up with for me...............

Last edited by runriot; 09-20-2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-20-2008, 11:15 PM

I posted a way to get away from all the glue and be leak free in the Hatrikstu's cooling mod thread. Mine has been on a while now without one single issue.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:30 PM

I read your install Jim but its kinda confusing. you kept the stock filler neck but what extra tank did you use?

Quick Reply: Cooling Mod Idea...