2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Cooling Mod Idea...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JimzSS
I posted a way to get away from all the glue and be leak free in the Hatrikstu's cooling mod thread. Mine has been on a while now without one single issue.
As long as the bottom outlet is 3/4" there shouldn't be problems with leaking there and there shouldn't be a whole lot of issues with the drilled other 3/4" inlet as long as you use hard gasket sealant. Who cares what it looks like...the point is to reduce heatsoak. I'm leaving the factory surge tank so the system will bleed itself automatically.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:06 AM

where is a factory surge tank?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by flash13brandon
I read your install Jim but its kinda confusing. you kept the stock filler neck but what extra tank did you use?
A cheapie Autozone tank. seeing as there are other tanks available with a 3/4" bottom outlet already made , leaks should be gone. I am going to try and post some pics before the end of the day.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:29 PM

I'm not sure a larger reservoir would really do anything but give you more tolerance for coolant loss in the reservoir or give you the ability to put a larger amount of ice in there or something for a quick freeze. I can see how adding another heat exchanger or adding a dual pass would benefit, and they primary reason for option B is to bleed air out of the system to create efficiencies. I think there's diminishing returns in terms of a reservoir size and that's probably already reached with the GM tank that comes with option B.

Could you give me a good explanation behind your reasoning?
Old 09-21-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by nghisus
I'm not sure a larger reservoir would really do anything but give you more tolerance for coolant loss in the reservoir or give you the ability to put a larger amount of ice in there or something for a quick freeze. I can see how adding another heat exchanger or adding a dual pass would benefit, and they primary reason for option B is to bleed air out of the system to create efficiencies. I think there's diminishing returns in terms of a reservoir size and that's probably already reached with the GM tank that comes with option B.

Could you give me a good explanation behind your reasoning?

Does the Option B tank, have a return line?

Ever boil a pot of water? The bigger the pot, the longer it takes to heat the liquid. So adding more coolant will allow the fluid that is in there a longer time before it is pumped back in, and reheated again. I dont think there is an advantage to adding a ten gallon tank in the trunk, but adding a bigger reservoir in place of the junk stock fill neck, adds collant to the system. Cobra/Lightning guys do this mod all the time. Option B does not do this to my knowledge, althogh it does bleed the air out of the system better, wich this mod would not do. What we all need is a reservoir that holds more fluid, has 3/4" inlet and outlets and a 1/4" line to run to the bleeder screw. Then as far as I can tell we would have option C. ???
Old 09-21-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
option C. I like that
Old 09-21-2008, 04:00 PM

Here is what I used:

This tank is an actual coolant surge tank from a car in the junkyard. It was actually really hard to find a tank that wasn't baffled or had dividers built into it (would make tapping it for a fitting quite hard). This tank already had one 3/4 inch hose fitting built into it, so all I had to do was drill and tap for one more. The walls on this tank are VERY thick, which is another reason i went to the junkyard instead of buying one of those cheapie ones from autozone.

I also ran my lines way different than anybody else I've seen:

I know everybody is going to give me crap for the way they are routed since it passes over the radiator hose and is kinda close to the supercharger, HOWEVER, there is also much less chance for leakage, way fewer bends, less hose, and I wrapped the hell out of the lines with heat reflectant braided tape. I am also going to be changing out most of the lines for hard lines next weekend. (from 03 cobra H/E).

btw that whole setup cost me like $15.

The tank was $1.50. I got it on labor day weekend and it was half off at the junkyard. hahah.

I think the most expensive thing was the damn heater hose. Like $10. Fitting was a couple bucks.

Last edited by compucarnut; 09-21-2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-21-2008, 04:08 PM

that looks great. wish you could remember what kind of car it was lol
Old 09-21-2008, 06:03 PM

It was a buick I believe, but it looked identical to a Ford Festiva. I also got this setup because the factory ss/sc surge "tank" has a pressurized 5 psi cap, so I didn't just want a snap cap setup like everyone else seems to be running. My tank has a pressurized 15 PSI cap.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by compucarnut
It was a buick I believe, but it looked identical to a Ford Festiva. I also got this setup because the factory ss/sc surge "tank" has a pressurized 5 psi cap, so I didn't just want a snap cap setup like everyone else seems to be running. My tank has a pressurized 15 PSI cap.
Thats the setup we need. 3/4 Inlet and Outlet , and 1/4 line. Doesnt look ghetto, almost looks like it could be stock...............how much does it hold?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:40 AM

Im hoping that my setup is going to look stock...that is why I have the inlet and outlet both on the bottom. They are a couple inches apart and the tank has dividers in it so I'm hoping that the pressure of the inlet pushes the "hotter" coolant to the top of the tank while the "cooler" coolant goes out the bottom...
Old 09-22-2008, 09:16 AM

compu... i ran my lines similar as well... just more under the lip so it was hidden a bit more.