2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Corsa Touring Catback Install/Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mawr vids!!! Now!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by shroogis
@Infra - What muffler did you blow apart? I'm going to be using a dynomax super turbo (chambered) with my Mandrel Exhaust System...Post those pictures, I'm interested to see
I got the dynomax at 3k its too much drone ugh
Old 03-22-2010, 07:44 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by recklessactn
Mawr vids!!! Now!!!
They're coming I promise .... I had the car out last week, but was pretty busy. I'm doing some more work on it this week, and will take some new videos of the exhaust. The new videos will be posted on Thursday or Friday
Old 03-30-2010, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, Friday has already passed, where are the vids?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Dude, Friday has already passed, where are the vids?
I know man .... I was working on some other things on my car, and never got around to the sound clips. The weather has been shitty here since Sunday, so either Wed. or Thursday of this week I will take some videos. I know I've said that before, but I will def. have sounds clips for you this week.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

I will be posting some new sound clips of the exhaust tonight. I took some video of it last week, but didn't like the sound quality. Once they were uploaded onto my computer.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Below is a video/sound clip I made this afternoon. The video will give you an idea of what the Corsa Touring catback sounds like at WOT inside the car. I performed a 1st-3rd gear WOT run starting at a 20 mph roll and letting off at around 85 mph (I ran out of road). Enjoy !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGNuRyDRBr0

I also took a video/sound clip of the catback from outside the car while giving it slight revs. The sound quality wasn't the best due to the excess noise from the road I live by. Tomorrow I plan on finding a quiet area to perfrom the sound clip.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds nice man. I wanna hear it from the outside now!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:07 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by InfraRedline
Sounds nice man. I wanna hear it from the outside now!
Thanks man. Outside sound clips will be taken very soon
Old 04-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 214 Likes on 173 Posts
looks great man! and yeah my catless dp with hahn exhaust is loud as hell
Old 04-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
looks great man! and yeah my catless dp with hahn exhaust is loud as hell
Thanks man
Old 04-06-2010, 07:29 PM
OBZ

congrats man! I have the corsa sport on my LT and i love it. My only complaint is how low the resonators hang.. Mine was destroyed after about a year. THe welds broke on the inside so it would rattle like nobodies business so i had it cut out and a straight pipe welded in its place.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by OBZ
congrats man! I have the corsa sport on my LT and i love it. My only complaint is how low the resonators hang.. Mine was destroyed after about a year. THe welds broke on the inside so it would rattle like nobodies business so i had it cut out and a straight pipe welded in its place.
thanks man !! hmm, interesting note about your resonator .... my resonator doesnt hang low at all. in fact, it's tucked up higher than the stock resonator was. i know corsa has since revised their issue with the weld braking at the resonator. you should have just had it replaced under warrenty.

Last edited by Staged07SS; 04-07-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:56 PM
OBZ

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
thanks man !! hmm, interesting note about your resonator .... my resonator doesnt hang low at all. in fact, it's tucked up higher than the stock resonator was. i know corsa has since revised their issue with the weld braking at the resonator. you should have just had it replaced under warrenty.
huh.. Never heard about a warranty or even looked into it.. Oh well it honestly didn't change the sound much..
Old 04-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by OBZ
huh.. Never heard about a warranty or even looked into it.. Oh well it honestly didn't change the sound much..
yeah, if you purchase a corsa exhaust system brand new they come with a life time warrenty. that's good to hear your repair didnt change the sound much
Old 04-09-2010, 07:48 AM

Sounds great!! You cannot beat a lifetime warranty!

Side note, I would advise anyone to steer away from the MES catback for our cars if you are lowered. For the money it's okay, but since I'm lowered it hits my spring base over bumps. I'm sure it can be adjust/tweaked to fit better, but it's sort of irritating.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Sounds great!! You cannot beat a lifetime warranty!

Side note, I would advise anyone to steer away from the MES catback for our cars if you are lowered. For the money it's okay, but since I'm lowered it hits my spring base over bumps. I'm sure it can be adjust/tweaked to fit better, but it's sort of irritating.
Thanks man. The lifetime warrenty is great ! The nice thing about the Corsa is how they are put together. Say the resonator or muffler decides to take a **** on you. All you have to do is unbolt it, and send it back to Corsa. You don't have to cut anything, or end up taking the whole exhaust down.

Sorry to hear about the fitment on your MES man. It looked like a real nice exhaust system. I'm sure with a little bit of time you will get it to fit better. I have been having some problems with my exhaust setup lately. I thought it was the Corsa catback, but I have determined the sound is coming from my ZZP downpipe. When I am at 50%-100% throttle I hear a slight hissing sound. It sounds almost like a jet in a way. I checked for leaks numerous times, but didnt really find anything. I don't know if it is the highflow cat making the sound or what, but it is annoying until the exhaust warms up. The sound prob wouldnt bother most on this site though. I have never had good luck with downpipes on my car. I had the CTI downpipe at one time, and that leaked like a seive, along with warping the flex joint. The ZZP downpipe is of amazing quality/ fitment, but is just not delievering the sound I'm looking for.

Last edited by Staged07SS; 04-13-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:16 PM

I was running Corsa on my car and the resonator took a crap after about 20,000. That was my only complaint about the system. I was running ZZP Midlength with a 3" catted DP and wanted to tone it down a little bit. So i ended up replacing the stock resonator with a Magnaflow round resonator and it sounded even better. It had a nice deep tone and very very little rasp. You will love the exhaust tho I know i loved mine looked the same with 20,000 as the day i bought it. Just keep an eye out for the resonator to break inside and start clanking around and rattling. Good luck and good purchase.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by KyFritz06SS
I was running Corsa on my car and the resonator took a crap after about 20,000. That was my only complaint about the system. I was running ZZP Midlength with a 3" catted DP and wanted to tone it down a little bit. So i ended up replacing the stock resonator with a Magnaflow round resonator and it sounded even better. It had a nice deep tone and very very little rasp. You will love the exhaust tho I know i loved mine looked the same with 20,000 as the day i bought it. Just keep an eye out for the resonator to break inside and start clanking around and rattling. Good luck and good purchase.
Thanks for the heads up and info it sucks that such an expensive exhaust can crap out on you that early.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:08 PM

Yeah but like you stated before the lifetime warranty will come in handy for something like that. But the option of the Magnaflow resonator is highly recommended by me. Tones it down a little but still keeps that nice Corsa sound. If your running headers and DP it will for sure help it to tone her down a bit.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Well, I finally took a drive by clip. I also have a clip of my car idling & reving, but you tube is giving me some trouble tonight. I will post that clip either later tonight, or tomorrow. Also, I recently took my ZZP 3" Downpipe off, and replaced it with the Production Downpipe. The ZZP Downpipe was causing my exhaust to sound a little raspy/hollow. Also, I know most of you will not believe me, but my car is running much stronger now with the Production Downpipe. It pulls much harder in the mid to upper rpm range, and produces a deeper exhaust note. I know that sounds backwards, but I speak the truth. My car just runs better with my current setup, and I'm very happy with it.

Anyways, enough rambling enjoy the clip

P.S. I went easy on her so you guys could hear the exhaust. Tire squeal just gets in the way, haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw_4yu0nzaA

Last edited by Staged07SS; 04-16-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:45 PM

Sounds really good!! I definitely need a catalytic converter to quiet mine down

Looks like some pretty scenery you guys have up there in PA!
Old 04-15-2010, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
Well, I finally took a drive by clip. I also have a clip of my car idling & reving, but you tube is giving me some trouble tonight. I will post that clip either later tonight, or tomorrow. Also, I recently took my ZZP 3" Downpipe off, and replaced it with the Production Downpipe. The ZZP Downpipe was causing my exhaust to sound a little raspy/hollow. Also, I know most of you will not believe me, but my car is running much stronger now with the Production Downpipe. It pulls much harder in the mid to upper rpm range, and produces a deeper exhaust note. I know that sounds backwards, but I speak the truth. My car just runs better with my current setup, and I'm very happy with it.

Anyways, enough rambling enjoy the clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw_4yu0nzaA
Production DP? Plz explain? I have the zzp midlegnth and theres a slight leak coming from the header to dp flange
Old 04-16-2010, 07:46 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by recklessactn
Production DP? Plz explain? I have the zzp midlegnth and theres a slight leak coming from the header to dp flange
The leak you have is very common on the ZZP midlength setup. You can try remflex gaskets to seal it up better, or have it welded. Some never completely stop the leak. Over all it is a great setup from what I hear.

I only had the ZZP 3" downpipe that is designed for the stock & gmpp manifold, along with a shorty header. The problem with running the ZZP 3" downpipe with a stock or GMPP manifold is that it slows down exhaust gas velocity a bit. The exit flange of my GMPP manifold was measured at 2.25" i.d., and the ZZP 3" downpipes entrance flange is 2.86" i.d. When you dump a much smaller pipe into a much larger pipe you create eddies (turbulence) and backpressure.

My car was acting funny when I would step on the gas. It almost felt like I had lag for a moment until I built more top end speed. Once I got into the upper rpm range it cleared up, but never pulled as hard as it used to. I was also experiencing a noise that sounded like high velocity air, or a jet taking off. I checked all connection flanges a millon times. Nothing seemed to fix the sound, and there were no leaks.

The production downpipe is 2.785" o.d. for most part (minus the dimple for the 02 sensor, and minus the 2.387" o.d. neck down before the 2-bolt catback connection flange). There is a small section inside the entrance flange (inside the flex coupler to be exact) that is 2 1/8" i.d. This would be a restriction for a shorty header with a larger exit flange, but matches up to a stock or GMPP manifold nicely, and maintains velocity until it dumps into the larger portion of the downpipe.

So I cleaned up my production downpipe, added new gaskets, bolts & studs, and reinstalled it. I took it for a spin, and all my problems were gone. The car pulls much harder (weird huh?), and the power delivery is much more linear. The power comes on hard and continues to build until 7250 rpm.

Now some people have great experience with 3" downpipes and stock/gmpp manifolds. Lots of people have claimed good gains as well (although no one has ever really tested/dynoed just the addition of a downpipe on their car). I have tried the CTI & ZZP downpipe, and each time my car felt more sluggish. I am by no means saying a 3" downpipe flows less than a production downpipe, because they don't. My car must be an odd ball or something, because it has always ran better with the production downpipe.

Sounds really good!! I definitely need a catalytic converter to quiet mine down

Looks like some pretty scenery you guys have up there in PA!
Thanks man

Last edited by Staged07SS; 04-28-2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-16-2010, 09:03 AM

^^^ ahh of i thought you meant you had the zzp midlengh header lol. But yes good call goin back bc you definitely moved your power band back to the sweet spot. If you like the gmpp header maybe go with a 2.5 dp in the future with a metal matrix cat 300 cell

Quick Reply: Corsa Touring Catback Install/Review