2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

cracked trans case, broken axle... wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry cracked trans case, broken axle... wtf?

I am ready to bash my head against the wall, any1 know what I should do?!

I have a 2007 Cobalt SC w/ OTTP stage 2 (60's, 2.8, etc) so say around ~250hp. i have 8" wide rims with sumitomo htr z3's, nothin too sticky, but equiv to stock pirellis. and I have ottp stage 2 rotated mounts. intake and vibrant header/dp to hahn 3" catback as well.

I had my clutch replaced after nuking the pressure plate doing 1st-rev-1st-rev shifts stuck in snow. I have michelin x-ice tires on at the time. since then, the car started hopping... i figured it ws the shitty wet traction problem that brought out the hop I get on wet roads sometimes, never got around to retorqing the mounts. march rolls around, I put my sumitomo 8" on, the next day drove it hard thru 1st, hopped a lot, punched 2nd hopped twice and bam, driver side axle snapped. GM replaced it.

Car hops on every launch now. wtf? i have bigger tires i was hopping for more grip and less slip/hop. had no time to inspect mounts with 6 days a week of work, the exhaust leaks I've been trying to find and fix, + 5 repair trips for airbag lights. Less than 2 weeks ago, my tranny bellhousing cracks after the 3rd hop before I could even let off the gas at a green light clutch drop dig, trans is shot. Shifts into all gears, just pisses fluid and sounds awful.

WHAT THE ****!!!

I think I have about had it with this car, unless the smart folks on this forum can help me completely eliminate wheel hop. Once i get my car back with a rebuilt tranny (or used, or new... whatever is cheapest and fastest to do while having a decent warranty) I want to completely de-**** my car, and stop all this nonsense from happening.

I buy mounts... car hops and breaks axles and trannys. buy bigger rims/tires, car still hops. buy performance mod, warranty is shot cost $2k for trans. buy used exhaust, cat is shot and is loud/raspy as ****, and flex pipe cracks. the only good to come from a mod yet is my SC silencer hole mod, she screams

Tired of wanting/paying to avoid a problem, only to have it slap me in the face. I don't want to hop anymore!! What is the next best thing to do? every1 talks about control arm bushings. i'd like some1 who has replaced them to give me a 1st hand perspective of how they helped, and why they like/don't like them. Haven't researched price yet, but it seems cheap and easy to do.

What else? I do want to lower the car eventually after the winter, will the tighter springs help? which helps more?

Thanks in advance... I love my car, I dare say it is the sportiest car I've owned (don't laugh... I am only 27) and I don't want to feel like I should sell this car after this trans install for fear that something else will break!! What should I do?
Old 09-20-2011, 12:12 AM

Drag slicks makes wheel hop go way. And so does not sucking at driving. Though you cobalt owners have wheel hop something fierce. I dont know what does it, I was able to get rid of wheel hop by just launching better.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Leafydialupking
Drag slicks makes wheel hop go way. And so does not sucking at driving. Though you cobalt owners have wheel hop something fierce. I dont know what does it, I was able to get rid of wheel hop by just launching better.
god your so badass... all it took was ingalls td for me and it was gone
Old 09-20-2011, 12:20 AM

Its too bad that thing is a terrible design. I wouldnt think it would do anything on poly mounts anyways. My car has 3 levels of launch; I dont give a **** and just light the tires up from the launch until it hits 55 mph (through eh 1-2 shift), I mess up trying to launch correctly and it wheel hops like a mother until I let off or shift to 2nd, or I launch somewhat correctly and only lightly spin the tires. If I had to fight it and I already had mounts and driving better wasn an option I would go with adjustable dampers and keep adjusting the damping until it didnt hop.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Leafydialupking
Its too bad that thing is a terrible design. I wouldnt think it would do anything on poly mounts anyways. My car has 3 levels of launch; I dont give a **** and just light the tires up from the launch until it hits 55 mph (through eh 1-2 shift), I mess up trying to launch correctly and it wheel hops like a mother until I let off or shift to 2nd, or I launch somewhat correctly and only lightly spin the tires. If I had to fight it and I already had mounts and driving better wasn an option I would go with adjustable dampers and keep adjusting the damping until it didnt hop.
Worked like a charm for my car... Just sayin
Old 09-20-2011, 01:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would try the Rotated mounts. changes the drive shaft angle and eliminates the wheel hop issue. and if you werent G85, nows the time to upgrade!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:35 AM

u need a driver mod, way to blame the car for your failure. i launch and get zero hop now that i learned how to launch these cars. oh and im on STOCK mounts since it rolled off the showroom floor. learn to drive, stop your bitching. yes i run every weekend on rolls and digs. stop dumping and going WOT, try 1/4 throttle, roll into it hard. SMFH
Old 09-20-2011, 06:36 AM

my tires btw are eagle gt's 225/45/18
Old 09-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 06SS ALL DAY
u need a driver mod, way to blame the car for your failure. i launch and get zero hop now that i learned how to launch these cars. oh and im on STOCK mounts since it rolled off the showroom floor. learn to drive, stop your bitching. yes i run every weekend on rolls and digs. stop dumping and going WOT, try 1/4 throttle, roll into it hard. SMFH
this
if you're hopping you need to get your ****** foot off the pedal and put your mounts on properly
Old 09-20-2011, 11:57 AM

whoooooah, ok easy on the "i don't know how to drive" thing, please? thanks.

I can launch this car juuuust fine. I can finesse the clutch and get minimal wheel spin and launch like a pro, however temperature outside affects the psi of the tires as well as the surface temp of the road, all affecting grip. do i need to be a damn scientist everytime i launch so that i don't hop? a lot of cars just spin and don't go "wham wham wham wham BOOM" this is a problem.

take a look at launch control on the turbo balt and the vettes. it still spins, no slight chirp-chirp-chirp of the wheel hop, they ****** spin. spinning is ok for a few seconds, lets you know you're past the point of static friction and you need to moderate the gas to obtain grip again. I'm not stupid, and nor have I "failed". This car has a major design flaw. Overgas it at a dig, bam axles snap and trannys crack. I don't want to grandma launch a supercharged car for fear of it breaking, plain and simple!

Now, back to the original point. As some1 mentioned earlier... I do have the rotated mounts, and I do have LSD G85. I do not feel the need to put my solid upper mount back in just to stop wheel hop at the expense of a shittier feel @ idle when everything rattles. not very cool when your friends turn the radio up on you because they can't stand the vibrating glove box and dash panels.

Before we blame the driver, acknowledge that our cars suck with wheel hop... Now I g2 figure out the best way to deal with it. If it makes you all so proud to hear, my first mod will be the "driver mod" ok? I will, like you all, acknowledge our cars SUCK with wheel hop, and I will moderate my launches in accordance to the level of suck for fear of breaking it. VERY LAME. But... I dare say it must be done.

My original ******* question refers back to this point though... WHAT NEXT?
Old 09-20-2011, 12:00 PM

Adjust damping to damp out the hopping. May or may not make the car handle like ******* in a cup though.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm too JDM for you

it's not just the rotated mounts connecting the drivetrain. broken control arm bushings can also cause hop
Old 09-20-2011, 12:22 PM

control arm bushings seem to be the way to go, lots of folks take a fancy to replacing them it seems. Mine are probably shot from all the hopping and high speed turns and ridiculous things I do with this car all the time.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm too JDM for you

yeah i went through 3 sets of stock control arm bushings already. my new powell trailing arm bushings have lasted the longest out of all of them
Old 09-20-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by SprChrg4Life
take a look at launch control on the turbo balt and the vettes. it still spins, no slight chirp-chirp-chirp of the wheel hop, they ****** spin.
c5 corvettes are notorious for wheel hop. it all has to do with a resonant frequency of the drivetrain and suspension. adjust some part of the suspension or drivetrain, and it will change that resonant frequency of the system as a whole. basically the goal is to make the resonant frequency one that the car never sees with trans mounts, shocks, springs, tires and tire pressures, CABs, etc.

I'm going to install some lnf trans mounts this weekend that i bought from CED. this is GM's performance part to reduce wheel hop on the sc cobalts. We will see how well it works. OTTP rotated trans mount is supposed to do the same thing. launching technique can eliminate wheel hop. However, you can use a better launching technique if u dont have to try to reduce wheel hop thus resulting in better times.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 PM

the only good to come from a mod yet is my SC silencer hole mod, she screams
Heh, its all good till one breaks loose, then you'll be bitching again that your replacing a supercharger or worse.

control arm bushings seem to be the way to go, lots of folks take a fancy to replacing them it seems. Mine are probably shot from all the hopping and high speed turns and ridiculous things I do with this car all the time.
So you beat your car to death, then bitch about it breaking. Well im no mechanic but I can tell you for certain that cars, any car, will and do break when you pound the hell outa them.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sunburst
Heh, its all good till one breaks loose, then you'll be bitching again that your replacing a supercharger or worse.
You would be surprised what the laminovas will trap. When I pulled mine out to do dual pass, there was lint, dirt, metal shavings, and things I cannot identify trapped on them. And they were filled with oil.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by SaberD
c5 corvettes are notorious for wheel hop. it all has to do with a resonant frequency of the drivetrain and suspension. adjust some part of the suspension or drivetrain, and it will change that resonant frequency of the system as a whole. basically the goal is to make the resonant frequency one that the car never sees with trans mounts, shocks, springs, tires and tire pressures, CABs, etc.

I'm going to install some lnf trans mounts this weekend that i bought from CED. this is GM's performance part to reduce wheel hop on the sc cobalts. We will see how well it works. OTTP rotated trans mount is supposed to do the same thing. launching technique can eliminate wheel hop. However, you can use a better launching technique if u dont have to try to reduce wheel hop thus resulting in better times.
theres more to the kit then just mounts from gm it also has axles when you but the complete kit

op get a set spherical cabs they will help alot
Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Banned

lol well i hear a vast majority with ottp mounts saying they still get hop so it's whatever but the ones who claim they don't have hop stand by install procedure so lnf mounts aren't going to fix install error...
ttr stop mounts with no hop just me -_-
Old 09-20-2011, 10:34 PM

LOL at this post

"I fucked my car up from wheel hop and now it hops all the time, so I kept launching it like an ******* and now its broken!!! Im so pissed at this stupid car, it has a design flaw!"

Classic bro....classic.

Congrats tho on ******* your car up that bad...that takes some serious abuse, well done.

Maybe modified cars aren't for you if you can't take the time to investigate serious issues with the car and don't have the common sense to STOP DRIVING LIKE A DICK IF SOMETHING IS CLEARLY WRONG!

Then have the nerve to in turn blame the car for your lack of common sense....lol well played sir.

Enjoy the repair bill, you deserve it.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by newt
LOL at this post

"I fucked my car up from wheel hop and now it hops all the time, so I kept launching it like an ******* and now its broken!!! Im so pissed at this stupid car, it has a design flaw!"
Old 09-21-2011, 01:01 AM

and this is why i shouldn't have even bothered to ask any1 on this forum what I can do to make the car a better performing car with no hop. from weak control arm bushins, to butter-soft mounts to... you name it. it has serious issues, ones i've tried to fix, but i work a lot and i don't have a ton of time to spend under my car. it gets tiresome when you spend more time fixing and trying to make it not suck, than modding it to make it better.

and **** you newt, you're not an upstanding incredible person in life, nor do you win any sort of achievements or awards for 'best punchline in the thread" you just come off as a callous *****. yea, **** broke, and i have to use $$ i wanted to use to go on vacation to fix my car, so your duechebagish comments on the repair bill are boiling my ******* blood right now. i'd love to kick your faggy lil canadian ***** back to france, but alas i don't believe i'll ever have the pleasure of bumping into you in life, which is why you feel comfortable behind your keyboard and monitor to insult some1 who came on this site for advice.

**** YOU ya cheese-eating arrogant SOB.

People like SaberD, LeafyDialupKing, Blazin07SS and mrbelvedere are kind enough to offer actual info and advice! Even though blazin thinks it's SMFH for me to learn to launch apparently, which at first i didn't appreciate but he never called me a name or made fun of me so i can deal. **** the rest of you.

none of you are my friends in real life, so why i confide in any1 on this site is beyond me. maybe i was looking for some1 to lend a technical hand, tbh i wanted the cheapest fix. i could lower the car with tighter springs, change bushings, etc etc and then what? it's still a cavalier. this car is nowhere near as nice in quality, reliability or enjoyment as my '91 thunderbird SC. now THAT was a car, this cobalt is a mockery.

so thanks to all the ******** in this thread, you've pretty much sealed the deal as to whether i should keep this car or not. ill get through the winter since i just got snow tires and a new clutch last year, and just got my car back from fixing random airbag lights. then peeeeeace.

i can't stand another minute driving this car when it is affiliated with ******** such as yourselves! have fun with your crapboxes for me, cuz looks like you're all havin a great time. turns out a cobalt is the only thing that sucks more dick than the rest of you.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:10 AM

I think thats a good call. FWD sucks. I like it because it sucks, everyone knows it sucks, and I still do good in it anyways so it makes me look more amazing at life than I actually am.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:12 AM

wow... I beat the **** out of my car when i had it and had no issues from the drive train. I congratulate you on this one.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:30 AM

thanks leafy, at least i'm not alone in my though process. as for the abuse i put on my car, sure i drive it hard. "ridiculous things" is a bit of an overstatement, i simply take cloverleafs stupid fast and then floor it as i exit to roast both the tires up and burn a bit through 3rd til around 80mph or so when they hook back up, it's a blast.

i have a good time in my car, i rip 0-90 several times a day, and regularly hit triple digit mph a few times a week. engine is rock solid and passes compression and leakdown testing. i just can't stand the lack of quality, ntm my dealer lying to me. they said if i get gm stage 2, they will not warranty it.

now 2 years later, aftermarket modded and such, they deny it of course (i didn't bother bringing it in, i called, they know me as 'john with the cobalt') talk about mod-unfriendly. if i had done gm stage 2, i'd be getting a new trans for free right now, i'd fight them to the courtroom for it if i had to and my car had 0 aftermarket parts!

airbag lights went on 400 miles out of bumper to bumper, i had to pay full price to fix, no 'goodwilling' at all. other than how fun the car has been, between the dealership shenanigans, airbag problems, **** breaking and just terrible interior quality... door handle cables stretching, lock solenoids failing, my throttle body had to be replaced at 15k miles, e-brake release button snapped off, moonroof rattles and water leaking inside the car, power steering recalls... THIS CAR SUCKJS!!! can't waaaait to get rid of it, that will be a glorious day

Quick Reply: cracked trans case, broken axle... wtf?