2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Difference with 2.6" pulley compared to a 2.8"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its slightly larger then 3.0" its 79mm i believe
Old 02-16-2007, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by mattyfinch
its slightly larger then 3.0" its 79mm i believe

79mm = 3.1102 Inches

thanks
Old 02-17-2007, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by bojan
79mm = 3.1102 Inches

thanks
77.9 MM or 3.067"
Old 02-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well... i am meerly displaying that the issue with the smaller pulley is heat related, and in reality, if heat wasnt an issue, the pulley allows for an hp gain just as it would going from a 3.2 to a 3.0

There is no one out there running a 2.8 who has more hp then someone running the 2.6 pulley on an equally good tune.

As for whatsa good tune, well in my case, im running a very vehicle specific tune, we spent 7 hours on a dyno tuning at a world renound shop.

A shitty tune would be adding timing to a gm st2 tune and running a 2.7 pulley. or having the car tuned without a vast knowledge in hpt tuners.
Read your first reply to my post, you are telling I am wrong. You aren't displaying anything you are being an ass. How about, you think about how you write your posts.

I am not wrong, you are not wrong either with your meth injection. Instead next time why don't you just let everything know that with the addition of meth injection you can get more out of a smaller pulley.

Please share what 'exactly' a good tune involves, 3 things make power, air, fuel and spark (timing). With the pcm calibration you can really control fuel and timing. Saying you have a custom tune by a world renown shop is nothing but bragging, if you are just here to brag about your super car and not help anyone make there own car you just being a dick. How is your good tune, different than a GM stage 2 with extra timing. Where you got it done or whatever isn't how. Having a lot of knowledge about HPtuners is great, but if you compare a V8 calibration to ours they are completely different. I would rather have someone with vast knowledge of the ecotec tuning my car.

BTW everyones local shop is world renown. I am sure I have one around here, but of course I wouldn't know because I do all my own work Hopefully when I am done I will have a vast amount of knowledge about HPtuners and the ecotec platform.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Banned

well, ill start at the front.

The shop we went is called campbell automotive. They currently hold the record for the worlds faster cyclone and typhoon on stock and slightly modded motors. they have spent years building inpressive motors and a great reputation. secondly, nolan, the gentleman who tuned our cars has been working with hpt for many years, and knows the softeware front and back. Yes three main things are involved in a tune, but there are hundreds of other parameters in hpt and in tuning that inable those to function at optimal levels. In the addition of the methanol, you need to further tune for a/f and rich quantities, removing fuels trims in the high end, and trying different mixtures of methanol and water for best result is a must. Gm's tune is a canned tune, and every car will react differently in different climates ans situations. Also, my car was specifically tuned for the methanol on 91 octane, james was on 94 octane which allowed him more timing and more methanol initially.

Im not nessesarily knocking the gm tune as a whole, or anyone else tuning for that matter, however, knownledge is power.

Last edited by mattyfinch; 02-17-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:46 AM

Im not nessesarily knocking the gm tune as a whole, or anyone else tuning for that matter, however, knownledge is power.
Why not knock it. GM's tune is a horse **** tune. Its an all around lets keep everything safe type tune. Everyone that has blown anything up on this site seems to do it on either the GM tune or a mail order one (which isn't much better).

You guys need to get your cars tuned by someone with hp twice a year. Once when the temps are around 80+ and then again when they dip below 50. This will save many many motors. If you want to make some good numbers with a 2.7,2.6,2.5 you need to do this.

Also make sure to get it tuned in your immediate area (i.e. within 100 miles in elevation of where you will be driving daily), and if you are going to do a road trip or something, have your car re-tuned with the tuner knowing this.

You have to run a pretty aggresive tune to get good numbers out of anything smaller than a 2.8. Which means you really have to know your car, and a little about tuning is good too.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yellowcobaltss05
no prolem i will...I really think i will gain alot more torque than hp.
That is for sure. it is not just about HP.

It's A LOT faster than stock. I did stay even with a mach 1 the other day. I found out after we raced from a 40 roll that he runs 13.0@109
yeah are cars are quick once we are past the lack of traction in the hole.

Originally Posted by stotte20
wow thats sweet. i have raced my frinds evo that runs 12.7 and can stay at his rear bumper till 120 then we stop. but thats awd so most of that time was from getting out of the hole
Yeah, need a bolt on AWD kit. LOL. but now were switching class of cars. the cobalt will never be the fastest car out there. just be happy with making it quicker and if you seriously cant do that then sell it and get the EVO....lol.

Originally Posted by stotte20
hell yah. expically if that was from a dead stop. i would be happing just smaking the **** out of a 11 sec evo from a roll. my one frind had a evo that he never ran that could beat the one that ran 12.7 by bout 3 car lengths. but my friend has a 11.6 civic and when he would race the evo from a dead stop the evo would walk him till like high 3rd gear goign into 4th before the civic would pass him. when i was stock he could leave the evo in 5th and beat me from a 40 roll while i was in second. when i got stage to he just had to keep it in 4th. lol that car was sick and was only a few boltons
that is the only way we will beat any AWD or RWD car setup for traction. All we can do is get a good set of tires and hope for the best. which I am surprised that no one really is doing anything about on here accept those who go to the extreme to get drag slicks on 16" or 15" wheels (yeah believe it or not there are some 15"s out there). I dont know of anyone running Yokohama ADVANs but I hope to soon. I would rather go to 17" and fit 245/45R17 tires but then I too would have to wait. besides I like the factory wheels and building a Sleeper Cobalt would be nice for alot of people under estimate the car and its ability (no respect syndrome) especially 4x4 diesels lol.

I say go for tires, go for ADVANs, and tell me the results of your 60's. To be 1.99 might be enough to not drop way way back and then catch other cars sooner and easier.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by zinner
That is super, but we are discussing the difference between a 2.8 and a 2.6 not the difference between 2.8 and a 2.6 with meth injection. Also whats a 'good tune' mean ?

For the original poster: Intense did several dyno pulls with difference pulleys and smaller than a 2.8 only got you more tq and the HP was topped out at about 270 whp on there dyno with a baseline of 225 whp.
Well... i am meerly displaying that the issue with the smaller pulley is heat related, and in reality, if heat wasnt an issue, the pulley allows for an hp gain just as it would going from a 3.2 to a 3.0

There is no one out there running a 2.8 who has more hp then someone running the 2.6 pulley on an equally good tune.

As for whatsa good tune, well in my case, im running a very vehicle specific tune, we spent 7 hours on a dyno tuning at a world renound shop.

A shitty tune would be adding timing to a gm st2 tune and running a 2.7 pulley. or having the car tuned without a vast knowledge in hpt tuners.
ALL I hear is peak. does not anyone really tune for the powerband meaning look at the whole dyno or picture of a tune. fast is not to run the car for the Highest HP if the torque drops. I short shift my car and make faster passes.

again this way off topic. what gains can be obtained from switching the pulley and fine tuning it. nothing else. that is the real question. and if you dont know then your not helping answering the question with any other response.

thanks.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ssnipes
ALL I hear is peak. does not anyone really tune for the powerband meaning look at the whole dyno or picture of a tune. fast is not to run the car for the Highest HP if the torque drops. I short shift my car and make faster passes.

again this way off topic. what gains can be obtained from switching the pulley and fine tuning it. nothing else. that is the real question. and if you dont know then your not helping answering the question with any other response.

thanks.
i agree, powerband is very important, i was happy to see my torque curve was flat as a board, which i think everyone should try to achieve. Without a proper powerband at 275 whp can could walk a 300 whp that dips off...easy.

as for zinners comments, he knows the site rules, or should, i wasnt even close to being a dick, i corrected his errors, and agrred on certain terms, maybe wrong was the incorrect word to us. He hasnt experienced a smaller then 2.8 pulley fpor himself, so i guess hes allowed to be biased without testing it first.

oh and meth is used around the world is various applications, so saying that its an unique or abbrassive ad on that is the only reason my car can run the 2.6 functionally is wrong. You go tell the guys with stage 3 skittles and high boosted evos there cheating....if you and your NAWSSSSSSSSS can catch them. i didnt have to resort to the bottle to hit almost 300. if anything is cheating, that is.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by chevysalesman614
i read a formula at ecotec forum.. they said:
.1"= 1psi
1psi= 4 hp + 6lb-ft

hope that helps you
aye, but the drop from a 2.7 to a 2.6 isnt the same as the drop from a 3.1 to a 3.0. all that heat is seriously hurting performance man
Old 02-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i agree, powerband is very important, i was happy to see my torque curve was flat as a board, which i think everyone should try to achieve. Without a proper powerband at 275 whp can could walk a 300 whp that dips off...easy.

as for zinners comments, he knows the site rules, or should, i wasnt even close to being a dick, i corrected his errors, and agrred on certain terms, maybe wrong was the incorrect word to us. He hasnt experienced a smaller then 2.8 pulley fpor himself, so i guess hes allowed to be biased without testing it first.

oh and meth is used around the world is various applications, so saying that its an unique or abbrassive ad on that is the only reason my car can run the 2.6 functionally is wrong. You go tell the guys with stage 3 skittles and high boosted evos there cheating....if you and your NAWSSSSSSSSS can catch them. i didnt have to resort to the bottle to hit almost 300. if anything is cheating, that is.
I didn't say meth was cheating. Adding meth to the equation is like adding nitrous to the equation. I guess you are more worried about being right than actually address the question. The question is VERY VERY simple, what is the difference between a 2.8 and 2.6 pulley. And not anything else.

I am very proud of your 285 whp cobalt, I am sure it's faster than my car with 'nawssssss'. I am proud of my car and all the work I put into for you to starting making a simple question personal and start insulting the use of my nitrous.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Banned

i got the cobalt addiction stage 4 with the 2.6, ****** sick
Old 02-17-2007, 10:40 PM

well the difference is awesome but not being able to drive it sux ass
Old 02-18-2007, 12:04 AM
Banned

well the difference is awesome but not being able to drive it sux ass
hmmm maybe you need tires? sticky, wider, with sidewall. please buy a set of 17x8" rims and put 245/45r17 under that car. you will obtain another 1 square foot to your traction patch (1/2 a foot for each tire) with this setup. I think you will do alot better.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:51 AM

or maybe i need a new belt bc mine shredded.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:52 AM

or maybe i need a new belt bc mine shredded.
And some new bolts.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:54 AM
Banned

I have a stage 2 belt for slae I also got my 2.6 pulley on today and it sweet
Old 02-18-2007, 10:43 AM

I donnu baout u guys and the 2.6, but my 2.5 is insane! the tq is incredible, I swear I gained so much tq., when you punch it in second gear it jumps to 6k rpms right away when it kind of levels itself off to 7k. Its crazy.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Matty
And some new bolts.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ljavy17
I donnu baout u guys and the 2.6, but my 2.5 is insane! the tq is incredible, I swear I gained so much tq., when you punch it in second gear it jumps to 6k rpms right away when it kind of levels itself off to 7k. Its crazy.
Do you have any dyno #'s with the 2.5" pulley, I have the 2.6 as well and wonder how much performance you gain between the two.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:28 AM

im gonna get a dyno with the 2.6 so i can let you know how much i make before the 2.5 and meth
Old 02-18-2007, 11:36 AM

im gonna get a dyno with the 2.6 so i can let you know how much i make before the 2.5 and meth
Oh, your dropping down to a 2.5 pulley as well? I don't plan on going past the 2.6, but am curious to see how much you can gain from the drop. Thanks and I'll keep an eye out.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:59 AM

ya if i do go to a 2.5 im running meth and ill let you know
Old 02-18-2007, 07:05 PM

I had the 2.6 before, and with the 2.5 the car feels much more tq and faster.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:36 PM

i want the 2.5 now!! Actually i just want my car to run lol

Quick Reply: Difference with 2.6" pulley compared to a 2.8"?