2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Eaton Supercharger Info/Facts

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 12:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eaton Supercharger Info/Facts

Directly from Eaton's Webpage. All facts are based off this link.. Click Here

Just doing a comparision on the different type models of S/C's they offer.

M45 Supercharger

The Eaton Supercharger Model 45 is designed for 2.0L to 3.0L passenger car and light truck engines, but may also be suitable for other engine sizes, depending on total system performance requirements.

M62 Supercharger

The Eaton Supercharger Model 62 is designed for 2.5L to 4.0L passenger car and light truck engines, but may also be suitable for other engine sizes, depending on total system performance requirements

M90 Supercharger

The Eaton Supercharger Model 90 is designed for 3.0L to 5.0L passenger car and light truck engines, but may also be suitable for other engine sizes, depending on total system performance requirements.

M112 Supercharger

Picture Not Available at this time

The Eaton Supercharger Model 112 is designed for larger passenger car and light truck engines, but may also be suitable for other engine sizes, depending on total system performance requirements.

This one is for all the kiddies wondering why a supercharger is better then a Turbo charger in *some cases*, not all so don't bash me because I know a turbo can be just as efficent or better.

How is an Eaton supercharger different from a turbocharger? A supercharger is connected directly to the crankshaft by a belt unlike a turbocharger which is driven by exhaust gases. An Eaton supercharger provides improved horsepower and torque, at lower engine rpm's, by pumping extra air into the engine in direct relationship to crankshaft speed. The positive connection yields instant response, in contrast to turbochargers, which must overcome inertia and spin up to speed as the flow of exhaust gas increases. The supercharger is a way to get around "turbo lag". The lubrication system also differs, in that, the supercharger is self-contained whereas the turbocharger requires engine oil.

Unsure why we didn't get the M45, seems to be more suitable for our displacement application, spins more freely. But we got the M62 but people want to put the M90 on... why? I understand it's more powerful but damn it will forever for that damn thing to spool...

The M112 was featured on my buddies 03 Cobra I think. That supercharger is crazy!
Old 08-29-2005, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by sneaky
Unsure why we didn't get the M45, seems to be more suitable for our displacement application, spins more freely. But we got the M62 but people want to put the M90 on... why? I understand it's more powerful but damn it will forever for that damn thing to spool...
I guess those 'people' putting an M90 on would be me, lol. It's going to be the most bang for the buck. I'm working on it with a guy that does 112 swaps on 3.8L s/c motors here. It should easily put me over 300HP. Can't wait to see the dyno curve....
And there was some mention of a twin screw as well Whipple 2.3L
Old 08-29-2005, 12:39 PM

back when the Grand Prix GTP first came out, people said they would never max the m90 out. Well, they have. Eaton greatly overrates their SCs on what engines their SCs can handle. No way in hell would i ever put a m90 on a 4.0 or greater engine. Let alone ANY v8. Some people have upgraded to a 112 on their GP and you wouldnt believe the tq curve. it's dead flat. just amazing. However the vendor selling the kits has them way over priced so its not a great option. I believe that once the aftermarket really gets going with this community, people will see that the m62 is a poor choice for a SC.

Also, NO WAY IN HELL is a "heaton" better than a turbo. They are vastly less efficient than a turbo, and if you properly size the turbo to your engine instead of just slapping any of them on, lag will be minimal or almost non-existant. Yes, you get instant tq with the SC, but it will die off on the top end. Although that doesnt seem to be the case with you guys. However, psi to psi, the turbo will almost always produce more hp than a SC. Although a twin charged car would be better
Old 08-29-2005, 01:52 PM

Well Stuffzorz, turbo's make big hp like you said but superchargers make big torque. Supercharging and turbocharging are both great methods of induction but choosing one really depends on what kind of driving you do. Despite popular belief, I think that the supercharger was the best platform for the Cobalt SS strictly due to the lack of room in the engine bay.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

why does it matter what size (displacment) you have
Old 08-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stuffy236
back when the Grand Prix GTP first came out, people said they would never max the m90 out. Well, they have. Eaton greatly overrates their SCs on what engines their SCs can handle. No way in hell would i ever put a m90 on a 4.0 or greater engine. Let alone ANY v8. Some people have upgraded to a 112 on their GP and you wouldnt believe the tq curve. it's dead flat. just amazing. However the vendor selling the kits has them way over priced so its not a great option. I believe that once the aftermarket really gets going with this community, people will see that the m62 is a poor choice for a SC.

Also, NO WAY IN HELL is a "heaton" better than a turbo. They are vastly less efficient than a turbo, and if you properly size the turbo to your engine instead of just slapping any of them on, lag will be minimal or almost non-existant. Yes, you get instant tq with the SC, but it will die off on the top end. Although that doesnt seem to be the case with you guys. However, psi to psi, the turbo will almost always produce more hp than a SC. Although a twin charged car would be better
The 2003-2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra & 2004 Ford GT are great examples of S/C power can do over turbo. Most track cobra's run great times because of better effiency from a super charger.

-Mike
Old 08-29-2005, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by cvenom2122
why does it matter what size (displacment) you have

so you can get the right size blower for your application. You woulnt want a m62 on a LS2, and you wouldnt want a 112 on a cobalt. They are just "general" guidelines for choosing a SC. However, eaton overly groups engine sizes together for their blowers.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by sneaky
The 2003-2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra & 2004 Ford GT are great examples of S/C power can do over turbo. Most track cobra's run great times because of better effiency from a super charger.

-Mike

true, but they had a nice size SC for their application. They have a m112 on their engine, even though eaton says they should have a m90 according to their chart. The bigger SC for the smaller engine is a potent combination. For instance, the m112 with the GP. A great combination and is just as good as a turbo. As im sure that a m90 on a cobalt will be almost as good, to just as good as a turbo. Its all about sizing and efficiency.